Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Let's talk Mining!

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
There are quite a variety of ways to find ore and rich veins of minerals thoughout gaming history. What method would you like to see in Ashes? What do you like most about mining?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I think people should have to discover the nodes or mines and figure it out.
    From there, I also think they should be "static", at least until they're depleted, so that people could potentially fight or defend their claims to it.

A terrible example is the mining node system in World of Warcraft.  There might be random/set locations, but they can be mined within seconds, then disappear.  And somebody can literally swoop in and it's basically whoever clicks it first.  It's a horrible system, and just makes people want to scream sometimes, unless you're the fastest person around.

And what's wrong with discovering things?  In the real world, you have to dig up stuff to find out what's there.  Or at the easiest, see a volcano explode or a hillside to collapse to see what's underneath...
    edited June 2017
    From what I've heard about mining in Ashes so far is that there are two types....  an active mining and a passive mining.  But I like the idea that certain ores may be known to be found in certain areas, but perhaps their exact location is more random. 
    edited June 2017
    Randomly, shuffling linked nodes. Difficulties to identify increased by the rarity of the nodes. Mixed metals in nodes so while mining iron possible chance of finding small amounts of 'x' or 'y'.  Nodes 'refill' somehow using some cool mechanism I haven't thought of yet but hopefully the devs have. 

Mining alters the landscape but balanced so that it is not a endless series of pits that get fallen into. Possible to uncover caves and so on while mining. 
    Random rabid rabbit attacks just because. 

I love mining. 
    edited June 2017
    When it comes to mining ...
    I'd prefer if Players could actually interact with the Ground & Dig where-ever we please ; any spot or area we suspect there might be something - please let us Dig  : 3
    (not like MineCraft though)

Both Static & Passive is fine. But Un-named, somewhat difficult to find, and hopefully a Randomizer in Re-spawn - Diverse & Sporadic would summerize it up  o:)

(really detest online-guilds when you can just explore - better experience)
  • Well, yet again the option I want is not on the poll :frowning: 

Intrepid have mentioned that resources in Ashes will not be static. The decision for me is between highlighted and non-highlighted mining resources.

Like the herbology poll, I'd prefer mining nodes to not be highlighted, but to be easy to identify if you know what you're looking for.

Subtle but not impossible to find
  • I don't mind the mining areas to randomly spawn in the world but I do think that the ore should take a while to deplete. Say after x-amount (as an example 2000) ores been mined then it will respawn.

Thoughts?
  • lexmax said:
    Well, yet again the option I want is not on the poll :frowning: 

Intrepid have mentioned that resources in Ashes will not be static. The decision for me is between highlighted and non-highlighted mining resources.

Like the herbology poll, I'd prefer mining nodes to not be highlighted, but to be easy to identify if you know what you're looking for.

Subtle but not impossible to find
    I am in agreement with @lexmax here
  • I would like to see mining for resources actually mined in a mine.

Players dig, construct, support and stabilize the mine. Considerable work of preparing resources above ground for below ground work and a team effort.

Chronicles of Elyria, which is in development is going along these lines. 

Ever Quest Next also had semi-destructable environments to kind of do this too..
    Dig the right amount and get hit a vein and find resources.
    Dig not enough and find nothing.
    Dig too much and unleash those from the under-realm!

Make a mine a collective effort, and a reasonable sustained return for a period, then there would not be a need for the surface scatterings of minerals!

• AkaBear said:
    I would like to see mining for resources actually mined in a mine.
    Mining in a mine... hmm... unorthodox, but it just might work ;)
  • Bit of panning in a stream!
    edited June 2017
    The problem with mines is there's gonna be people camping those mines 24/7 and casual crafters won't be able to get shit :/

A mix of both would be nice.
  • Arkanth said:
    The problem with mines is there's gonna be people camping those mines 24/7 and casual crafters won't be able to get shit :/

A mix of both would be nice.
    This is true but that is partially the point ^^ it's like how it would be in a "real" situation and it encourages trade between players. Each zone will have a different variety of materials, and when they are depleted they might reappear elsewhere or not appear for some time. I like this because it keeps the rarity of prospducts and as a gatherer more exciting xD I can't wait to gather in Ashes :3 
    Keep gathering to gatherers xD
  • Going by what they said in their twitch videos mining will not be a single node but like a mining area. Once it expires the mining area does not appear in the same area but somewhere else. They also said it maybe some time before it will spawn in another area. So you need to explore.
  • My take would be to not have the run of the mill solution for resource gathering that has become the norm of so many games.

It would be  a shame not to take advantage of the current development tools and animation capabilities and provide a basic solution.

• Hmm, none of the options really reflect what I feel is the ideal mining system. 

To me, what would be cool for AoC is for mining to immersive yet rewarding. I want to talk to townsfolk and learn a little bit of the local mine. What precious metals and stones are commonly found in it. I like a little warning of what nasties have set up camp in the mine, so I should be ready for it. 

I would love to get the feeling of excitement of weapon in one hand, torch in the other and my pickaxe on my back as I enter the mine. 

It would be nice if ores are in veins instead of lumpy nodes like what a lot of MMOs do. It would be lovely if ores are character-specific and not a tap-and-it-disappears-for-all-players system. 

It would be really, really cool if I defeat a boss in a mine, and the local town's mining industry is restored, giving me additional ore as a reward. It would be awesome if I build a reputation with various miners such that if I have helped them multiple times, they will write a letter to me if their mine is in trouble again. 
  • I think it'd be nice to have actual mines set up.. like the whole wooden tunnel entrance.. then go down there to pick at the abundance of ore needed.

https://ibb.co/k6oZ05

Skyrim style ones would be alright for an MMO, I just hated their locations, how you walked around and they were just there being ugly.. Inside a mine shaft or cave would be good.
  • AkaBear said:
    My take would be to not have the run of the mill solution for resource gathering that has become the norm of so many games.

It would be  a shame not to take advantage of the current development tools and animation capabilities and provide a basic solution.
    @AkaBear this is my take on the entire game. We are literally throwing money at Intrepid hoping that they will do this :sweat_smile:
  • I don't like floating names. Perhaps having it as a function in settings that can be disabled? However, I don't want resources to be hard to see. ESO was terrible with this. I can almost never find the fiber resources I needed until I wasted skill points on detection abilities.
  • I think it's important that nodes aren't too difficult to identify but locations should be at random and I believe that's the way Intrepid intend to do. It would be cool if Metropolis needed X and you knew X was in a particular area but not sure where. Then as you walked up to a dark tunnel brimming with shinies you saw words carved into the woodwork. "BEWARE the Tomb of Nagash." :p
  • Kratz said:
    I think it's important that nodes aren't too difficult to identify but locations should be at random and I believe that's the way Intrepid intend to do. It would be cool if Metropolis needed X and you knew X was in a particular area but not sure where. Then as you walked up to a dark tunnel brimming with shinies you saw words carved into the woodwork. "BEWARE the Tomb of Nagash." :p
    Why beware Nagash? The Horned Rat > Nagash.. Send all the Skaven to loot the Tomb!
  • I like what I see from the results of this poll.
  • With the few comments we have had so far from steve regarding mining the hint has been that a node will become depleted, how long this will take is any bodies guess at this stage. Nodes will then respawn elsewhere or it might take sometime before it reappears, there is so much we simply don't know at this stage.
    Gathering will involve much more than just hitting a node, perhaps animal husbandry could breed better animals for fleece, vegetables, even some ingredients for alchemy could all be produced on a farm. Creatures could also provide a source of materials, not just skins, pelts, and meet, but other elements, plant based creatures  may provide food stuffs, alchemy materials etc.
    Why does the only way to obtain raw materials have to be from tapping a node.
  • Varkun said:
    With the few comments we have had so far from steve regarding mining the hint has been that a node will become depleted, how long this will take is any bodies guess at this stage. Nodes will then respawn elsewhere or it might take sometime before it reappears, there is so much we simply don't know at this stage.
    Gathering will involve much more than just hitting a node, perhaps animal husbandry could breed better animals for fleece, vegetables, even some ingredients for alchemy could all be produced on a farm. Creatures could also provide a source of materials, not just skins, pelts, and meet, but other elements, plant based creatures  may provide food stuffs, alchemy materials etc.
    Why does the only way to obtain raw materials have to be from tapping a node.
    Pretty sure this topic was about mining.. You know, digging in the ground for ore.. Rocks, gold, copper, iron.. Metals to make weaponry n armour..

I don't think sheep are going to have large quantities of metal ore in them.. Unless you intend on all players using woolen fleece swords..
  • Was just trying to point out that even minerals might come from somewhere else other than nodes say elementals or other such creatures. Sorry that I went off topic will try not to do it ever again.