Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lore paradox (speculation wanted)

2»

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    lexmax said:
    The gateways aren't racial, at least in terms of returning to Verra

I believe that was a gameplay change so that players could be with friends.
    Rather than have to walk across the other side of the world because ...different race.
  • Options
    @Iexman Thanks for showing me that quote I forgot they did that interview in the first place. But could you also tell me where you saw a paradox in all of this? Because I still don't see one.
  • Options
    The paradox is in some of the possibilities listed in the OP.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    The gateways aren't racial, at least in terms of returning to Verra

But is that actually how it is? We know we can start from any gateway but is that just there for our convenience so players can easily start together without having to pick the same race. The lore could explain it as your character coming through their races gateway then traveling to the one you want to start at. 

My understanding is that there are 4 portals which correspond with the 4 races that left Verra. When we return to Verra, we won't be forced to use the gate which corresponds with our ancestral race.
  • Options
    Verra was a human planet back in the days. When the corruption just started showing it's effects, humans got infected by it. Some became Dwarves, some Orc and some other races depending on the level of infection they had in their veins. By the time the corruption was realised by the people of Verra, only a so few could stay as Humans. They decided to leave this cursed planet. The minority who choose to stay eventually became Tulnars.

Those who left Verra, 8 races, band together to get back to their beloved lands and make it their home again. Despite their differences they all suffered from the exile and they wanted to end it. When they returned, Tulnar also joined them in this journey to make Verra great again.

Close enough, i hope? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Hmmm....I'll give it a shot. Verra is the original world of all the races. The corruption apocalyse came and the various gods of different races opened portals to different worlds and moved their races there. Now they have decided it is time to battle for Verra once again and have opened portals on their individual worlds to bring all the races back together. So humans came from magical Verra to non-magical Earth, while the elves, orcs, and dwarves all got their own versions of homeworlds. This gives a background as to why different races appear at different portals. The Tulnar are the remnants of the "unbelievers" who ignored their gods telling them that the end was coming, were forced underground, and decided to get all cross-smexy with each other. Now that the portals have opened up they are tired of scrabbling around in the Underrealm and are going to come back up top.

To account for everyone being able to choose their starting portal. In order to save their cosmic juju the gods opened portals on the individual homeworlds, but left the endpoints random. So while dwarves may step in one side, they may end up at different locations on the other, rinse repeat other races.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I'll postulate some stuff for you. I'm good at postulating.
    Once upon a time on a planet named Verra the only inhabitants were Tulnar. Some stuff happened and the gods tried to destroy them but they fought back. Of course this did not go well for them so they created a portal to Earth and enlisted the aid of the Orcs. The orcs helped them defeat a few of the weaker gods but they were still losing the war so they built a second portal to Earth. On Earth many years had passed and Elves had come to power over the Orcs so they enlisted the help of Elves. Tulnar, Orc, and Elf defeated some of the medium power gods but they still needed help. A third portal was created and now on Earth Orcs and Elves had passed from power and the age of Dwarfs had begun. With the help of the dwarf all but the most powerful gods were defeated so they created a fourth portal. This time the portal opened on Earth to the age of man and so they enlisted man to help them defeat the strongest gods. Men were intelligent fighters and brave and they almost won. Almost. In a last ditch effort the last god banished them all to Middle Earth, except for a few Tulnar who managed to escape by hiding in caves. The war for Verra was over. The last god was exhausted and needed rest so he encased himself in the planet while he recovered and there he sleeps to this day.

Meanwhile on Earth it took them thousands of years of research and science to figure out how to open the portals again. The original creators had been killed in the war. Now no one remembers what happened or why the portals exist. It's been a great mystery like Stonehenge or something. Now that the portals are open everyone is coming back, not knowing what they're walking into.

Stonehenge was a portal before it fell into disrepair. 
  • Options
    The people left because of the greed of men.  The avatar of the the world had to do something about it so he made them leave this place. He waited for a long time so the world could heal itself. Now he has given the the people another change to habbit the world.

XD
  • Options

Aliens abducted everyone from Verra.

Now, after probing them long and hard, they are returning everyone. Everyone had his memories altered to not remember the aliens, so instead they imagine they traveled through some portals.
  • Options
    Voted Other.  

Verra and the non magical could be a Double Planet system (they orbit each other around a common point in space), each with their own moon(s), and maybe a moon that orbits both planets farther away.  Could even do something inventive and have one of the planets with a ring system and small shepherd moons as well.

This could add some material for lore, and some festivals or encounters when either the moons or the planet's and moons hit certain configurations or conjunctions.