Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of Creation Book Club and Tea Room

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Sheesh. Where do I begin? As @Possum mentioned, all of what I have now is electronic. And as he also said, if I had every book I love, it'd be a whole 'nother house. 

Rather than just pick the books, I'll list the authors. Understand that my reading tastes vary from high fantasy to hard-core sci-fi to cyberpunk to military sci-fi ... so on and so forth.

So, without further ado, I offer to you my list of favorite authors. And there are SO many! They're in no particular order.

1. C.S. Friedman -- literally everything
    2. C.J. Cherryh -- most things, especially the Foreigner series, but I also very much love her Chanur series, and Cuckoo's Nest was amazing
    3. William C. Dietz -- Legion series, fantastic
    4. Herbert -- Dune series, of course, though I really didn't like the last three in the series, and I haven't read any of the "other" books
    5. Daniel J. Abraham/James S.A. Corey -- fantastic fantasy, as well as sci-fi, very "out-there" thinker and brilliant storysmith
    6. Sarah Zettel -- If you haven't read her, do so; fantasy as well as some sci-fi
    7. "Dame" Andre Norton -- one of my earliest introductions to the genres of sci-fi and fantasy, and still one of my most beloved
    8. Lilith SaintCrow -- Just wow. Read her. Dante Valentine and Jill Kismet, at the least.
    9. Jacqueline Carey -- Anguisette. What's that mean? Dive in and find out!
    10. Tad Williams -- Everything
    11. Stephen R. Donaldson -- Everyone knows the Thomas Covenant series; but his "All Gods Die" series? Powerful.
    12. Christopher Nuttall -- Military sci-fi with some strong Sociology leanings, and it ain't all pretty
    13. Carol Berg -- Wow, so much good stuff!
    14. Robin Hobb -- The Farseer and Liveship series are phenomenal, but so is her Soldier Son series
    15. Matthew Woodring Stover -- Caine series. Read it. Seriously, you will be glad
    16. Guy Kay -- There is literally nothing this man has written that isn't profound; Tigana makes you weep, and Lord of Empires makes you sit back and go "Oh, wow. Just ... wow."
    17. Kristen Britain -- Green Rider series. Wondermous!
    18. David Weber -- Honor Harrington series. Good fun, not too deep, but good.
    19. Jeff Wheeler -- Beautiful storytelling, good characterization
    20. Ray Feist -- 'nuff sed
    21. Terry Pratchett -- Irreplacable
    22. Neil Gaiman -- Wow
    23. Jim Butcher -- Another "Wow"
    24. Asimov -- My introduction to "Science-Fact-To-Come"
    25. Jonathan Moeller -- A surprisingly good "new" author to me
    26. Ursula K. LeGuin -- Beautifully-worded "feminist" author
    27. Janny Wurts -- Her "Daughter of the Empire" series was great, but her Mistwraith series, I believe, is so much better
    28. Jeffrey Carver -- Sci-fi/fantasy mix, sorta :wink:
    29. Marc Scott Zicree -- Loved his Angelfire series
    30. Octavia Butler -- Very thought-provoking author
    31. David Gemmel -- Everything by this man, but especially the Druss series ... though I really love Waylander as well
    32. Anne Bishop -- Supposedly an alternative-romance author, I believe, but she writes some powerfully good and creative stuff
    33. Julie E. Czerneda -- Sci-fi that made me laugh & cry
    34. Philip K. Dick -- The author who began cyberpunk, imo
    35. William Gibson -- So much "Whoa!"
    36. David Gerrold -- Chtorr series (wish it were electronic!) especially the Solomon Short "fake character" and his quotes
    37. Michael Stackpole -- Dragoncrown War series -- UHmazing!
    38. Dan Simmons -- Hyperion Series. One of the most literary and prosaic sci-fi series I've ever read, so powerful and just very moving, to me
    I'm sure there are more, but these are, by far, my favorites :-)

Thanks for this post!

Edited to add Stackpole & Simmons:blush:
  • In case you didn't notice, @Isende is a voracious reader.  If she's not actively doing something else, like driving, she's reading.  And if she could manage to read and drive at the same time (safely, of course), she would.
  • Diura said:
    Relwoh said:
    My favourite books are Iain M Banks Consider Phlebas and Excession
    I agree 1110% I adore Ian M Banks - should be on everyone's bookcase :3
    @ruairidh your bookshelf is the best thing I've ever seen *_*
    Completely forgot about the Scottish sci-fi celebrity Iain M Banks! (don't forget the M or it isn't sci-fi) Excession is one of my favorites. It almost tops my absolute favorite sci-fi novel A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. :sunglasses:
  • Possum said:
    In case you didn't notice, @Isende is a voracious reader.  If she's not actively doing something else, like driving, she's reading.  And if she could manage to read and drive at the same time (safely, of course), she would.
    Actually, I could, if I listened to books on tape. But for me, that breaks something; I hear things narrated or spoken in a voice or manner that I don't, personally, ascribe to the characters or the narrator, so I just don't read when it's unsafe for me to do so, lol!
  • Isende said:
    Possum said:
    In case you didn't notice, @Isende is a voracious reader.  If she's not actively doing something else, like driving, she's reading.  And if she could manage to read and drive at the same time (safely, of course), she would.
    Actually, I could, if I listened to books on tape. But for me, that breaks something; I hear things narrated or spoken in a voice or manner that I don't, personally, ascribe to the characters or the narrator, so I just don't read when it's unsafe for me to do so, lol!
    I already knew this.  Hence, the omission of audiobooks in my previous comment.  :)

I, on the other hand, have enjoyed audiobooks in the past when driving long distances.  It helps keep my mind alert, engaged and awake.
    edited June 2017
    Isende said:
    NoPossum said:
    Yes! That's why I stick to factual now, I think it was an audio of a Pratchett or , wait no, one of the 'women of the underworld series'... Kelley someone? name evades me, but the narrator turned one of the characters into such a whiney teenager. I was not impressed 

So jealous of all of your lists though, keep them coming :smiley:
  • I have read 90+% of all of H.P. Lovecraft's works, having to buy 4 "complete editions," over the past 8 years. Prior to that I was not much of a reader. Since then I have spread out to sci-fi with Larry Nivens & Robert Heinlein. I have also read John Dies at the End and This book is full of spiders by David Wong.

I also enjoyed the classic hardbound's Arabian Nights and Grimm's Fairy Tales.
    Additionally I have read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and a collection of short stories published yearly by my alma mater.

I prefer short stories, cosmic horror, and science-fiction that does not rely on Space Opera. Comparatively to some of the post in this thread I need to hit the books again.

I do not have an author I would want to pen books for Ashes. I do think that Ashes would eventually benefit from a series of books, but I would likely not read them. I don't read much fantasy, I find it sometimes overly complicated and cliche, but mostly I feel like I am not picking up what the author is putting down.

I would post a pic of my library (read as one 5 shelved book shelf) but, from bottom up it's; Physiology / Mathematics / Physics & Old College Notebooks / RPG Books / Casual Books (science fiction, cosmic horror, whatever David Wong is considered, and the wive's collection of Harry Potter & LoTR Novels). It would be a boring picture :(

Great thread though!
  • I like the Dresden Files and peach ice tea.
  • Just curious, does anyone here read the Shadowrun books? 

Any good ones to recommend? I love reading the Shadowrun RPG source books, but I've very rarely seen the novels around nowadays and have maybe only read one or two in my life. 
  • To prove that I have some diverse interests, more than just fantasy and science fiction (although those are the big two for sure) I will occasionally post random pictures of the diversity in my home library...  today's randomness?

Art Nouveau!

Specifically, these are my books on Art Nouveau architecture and furniture. 
    I tend not to pick up the books that only feature illustrated art nouveau works, but if you happen to come across any others that focus on furniture and architecture, let me know!
    I'm always looking for more. 

Aaaaaaaand, today's bonus randomness!
    Poop Books!
    ;)

(Presented without comment.)
  • Omg I spy Victor Horta!

You are surprising....

And also now have me wanting to ask questions about the human manure thing...my interests lie more with dog manure...
    But I'm not going to ask questions here, that'd just be wrong :smiley:
  • I can't even find ... what .... ?
    edited July 2017
    Megs said:
    Omg I spy Victor Horta!

You are surprising....

And also now have me wanting to ask questions about the human manure thing...my interests lie more with dog manure...
    But I'm not going to ask questions here, that'd just be wrong :smiley:
    Quite so, @Megs !  The Book Club and Tea Room is no place for Sh!+ talk!  It wouldn't be proper!  ;)

(But to answer your query, I'm not an expert but I think dog poo can work in composting if it goes through the proper stages with the right materials. Like human doodoo, you have to keep it separate from garden compost until it's progressed enough that no pathogens would contaminate the plants. My understanding is that kitty poo doesn't work well though.)

And if anything, my collection over time may show that I'm full of surprises!  Hah!   
  • Cyreph said:
    Just curious, does anyone here read the Shadowrun books? 

Any good ones to recommend? I love reading the Shadowrun RPG source books, but I've very rarely seen the novels around nowadays and have maybe only read one or two in my life. 

@Cyreph , unfortunately I don't have any Shadowrun novels to recommend, but I do have 2 Shadowrun books I thought I'd share with you:

I have a leatherbound Shadowrun 5th edition manual, autographed by some of the game designers. :D

I also have a Art of Shadowrun Returns book.

I feel like I'd really enjoy the novels, if I ever picked them up...

• Azathoth said:
    I prefer short stories, cosmic horror, and science-fiction that does not rely on Space Opera. Comparatively to some of the post in this thread I need to hit the books again.

... Casual Books (science fiction, cosmic horror, whatever David Wong is considered,...
    I am intrigued by your "cosmic horror" category!
    I don't believe I am very familiar with it.
    Please share it with us!

• @Rumbleforge has a thumb! Confirmed!
  • rumble we must talk more about books
  • lexmax said:
    @Rumbleforge has a thumb! Confirmed!
    Damn it!  I should have cropped that out! 
    Pay no attention to the thumb behind the curtain!
    *Keeps up his elaborate Dwarf persona*

nagash said:
    rumble we must talk more about books
    See, I know.... I know!  We shall, @nagash we shall! 
    We now have a place, and all the time in the world!

I just hope it turns out better for us than it did Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode...

•  
    I am known to read most anything that you find  words attached to. I broke the handles of numerous totes over the years hauling books out of the library.  Where was the Kindle 20 years ago?  
    My reading began in the cave, advanced to the papyrus, somewhere along the way I turned to tea leaves, palms and minds.      
    Then on day I fell in love  with................  Drizzt! 

• lexmax said:
    @Rumbleforge has a thumb! Confirmed!
    Damn it!  I should have cropped that out! 
    Pay no attention to the thumb behind the curtain!
    *Keeps up his elaborate Dwarf persona*

nagash said:
    rumble we must talk more about books
    See, I know.... I know!  We shall, @nagash we shall! 
    We now have a place, and all the time in the world!

I just hope it turns out better for us than it did Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode...

I collect rare books myself as a hobby so anytime I see a person who also love books I do this

edited July 2017

I am known to read most anything that you find  words attached to. I broke the handles of numerous totes over the years hauling books out of the library.  Where was the Kindle 20 years ago?  
    My reading began in the cave, advanced to the papyrus, somewhere along the way I turned to tea leaves, palms and minds.      
    Then on day I fell in love  with................  Drizzt! 

The oldest book I have is a catholic Bible that is from the 17th century cost me a pretty penny  
  • nagash said:
    I collect rare books myself as a hobby so anytime I see a person who also love books I do this

I'll share one more random book today then, just for you @nagash ;)

I recently got this one from a bookseller in the UK.
    Not terribly old, but it is a out of print book published in 1974.  It caught my fancy one day.

I believe I paid a bit more than 40p for it. ;)
    But 6.50 with shipping overseas?  Seemed like a good deal to me. 
  • nagash said:

I'll share one more random book today then, just for you @nagash ;)

I recently got this one from a bookseller in the UK.
    Not terribly old, but it is a out of print book published in 1974.  It caught my fancy one day.

I believe I paid a bit more than 40p for it. ;)
    But 6.50 with shipping overseas?  Seemed like a good deal to me. 
    Its great to see old books like this ^^
  • I don't collect books as some of you do.  But I recently bought an out of print book that I had years ago (I won't go into how I lost it).  I decided I wanted a copy of it again and found it on Amazon Marketplace.  I've always loved dragons.  :)

edited July 2017
    I gotta tell you, @Possum .... I've never read the book, but I loved the animated movie (with John Ritter) as a kid. 
    It makes me feel super nostalgic.  ;).

• I read everything. IT doesn't really matter what it is. I like it all. Biographies. Fantasy. Educational-such as science, chemistry etc. The latest I read was "The old kingdom collection" by Garth Nix. Fantasy about the dead, magic, necromancers and such.
    edited July 2017
    I gotta tell you, @Possum .... I've never read the book, but I loved the animated movie (with John Ritter) as a kid. 
    It makes me feel super nostalgic.  ;).

Funny thing is, the movie is only loosely based on the book.  The book is simply the author's attempt to explain in a semi-plausible manner how dragons could have actually existed, rather than just being mythological beings.  I rather enjoyed it.  :)

This is a shot of the inside front of the book jacket:

**Edit to add a link to the author's story of how the book came to be...

http://peterdickinson.com/books/the-flight-of-dragons/

edited July 2017
    my "reading of books" is a bit more literal then yours

Truck driver so  listen to books on long drives

Allot of Fav Authors
    lately its been Scott Sigler with Galactic Footbal League

• I miss the used book stores that once were found around here.  I used to spend much time wandering through them.  One near my old home had sitting areas.  It was in an old Victorian house.   The proprietor used to search and find books for me to fill some of my series that were out of print. 
    Technology is nice but it does't have the ambiance and nostalgia of things of the past.
    All the shared emotes can't compare. 
  • nagash said:

sorry about the quality my Kindle has a terrible camera also these are a tiny amount from what I own as I have a room with nothing but books ^^ 
    I really can't believe you did this @Cyreph. If you had read @nagash other threads you would know his library is upwards of 2600 books! So that's 18 down and 2582 to go!

...and I don't have a good camera on my NON-smart phone (still holding out, I don't think the tech is quite established yet!) or a way to easily to get over to my computer so I can't really play along. :(