Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes of Creation Book Club and Tea Room

Comments

• Options
    I live on a farm that's been in my family for over a century. 
    If I run out of room in the house for books, I'm gonna load them in air tight totes and store them in the barns and outbuildings. 

I wholeheartedly endorse my own descent into bibliomania.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Isende said:
    Yeah, now I'll stick with ebooks. Much more portable. Ok, so yes, when I get rich & famous (coughcough) I'll rebuild my library. Now, I'll deal with portable :smiley:
    lol I hear you.  And, I have friends who keep insisting that I invest in ebooks.  But, as of right now, I just can't force myself to do it.  Maybe it's the romantic in me, that hasn't been killed off by pragmatism.  I just LOVE the feel of paper.  I feel that the world the author creates, somehow seeps into the grains of finely pulped wood, and lives there, waiting for my fingers and mind, to transport me to another reality.

No hate for my fellow ebook enthusiasts, but electronic books seem so...sterile.  Though, it's funny we're talking about this, because a friend just introduced me to "MoonReader"(?).  It's an ebook app, that simulates page turning.  It piqued my interest, if I ever decide to go that route.
  • Options
    Currently have all my books in a basement with built-in shelving, so they're essentially lining in the walls in various groups.

Just started a book by Kazuo Ishiguro I'd highly recommend called The Buried Giant. Some of the characters and their subplots have a rather surreal quality to them, with the main plot arc being based around a mysterious fog that seems to sap people of their memories. Takes place in Arthurian Britain, an old married couple are out searching for their son, certain of where he lives -- though the longer the story goes on, the more you come to realize they have no idea. Meetings with old knights of King Arthur, paid swords, masochistic temple monks, sleeping dragons... A short read, but quickly offers opportunities for insight to matters of memory, time, and and the strength of human bonds. Also enjoying the Night Angel trilogy from Brent Weeks between other reads. 
  • Options
    I wholeheartedly endorse my own descent into bibliomania.
    @Rumbleforge selling his house/farm...
    "And this is the living room. Wait, no this is the kitchen..."
  • Options
    Always been a big fan of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and son) for fantasy and for Sci-fi Dan Simmons Hyperion, or Enders Game and Enders Shadow. 
  • Options
    I have been meaning to have a collection of A Song of Ice and Fire. My initial thought was to wait until the series is complete, and buy the nicest set out there. Lately though, the books are taking forever and I am getting impatient. 

Do you guys generally buy books as they come out and hope they stand together pretty, or wait for the boxed set to come out?
  • Options
    Cyreph said:
    I have been meaning to have a collection of A Song of Ice and Fire. My initial thought was to wait until the series is complete, and buy the nicest set out there. Lately though, the books are taking forever and I am getting impatient. 

Do you guys generally buy books as they come out and hope they stand together pretty, or wait for the boxed set to come out?
    I generally buy books, as they come out, as I'm pretty impulsive, when it comes to obtaining/reading books that catch, and hold, my interest.

I can definitely understand your impatience, in regards to waiting for follow-up books, that are part of a series.  I have to go back, and start fresh on the "Wheel of Time" series, because the wait in between books took so long, after a certain point.  Though, I later found out, it was due to Jordan's failing health; R.I.P.    <3:'(
  • Options
    Cyreph said:

When my favorite authors or book series come out with a new book, I usually tend to buy those books new upon release.  (R.A. Salvatore, Alex Bledsoe, R.S. Belcher, Star Trek pocket books, etc.).

Otherwise, I'm fond of bargain books so most of the "new reads" I get are actually a couple years old by the time I get them.  (And sometimes a couple years older by the time I get to read them, as I have no shortage of books to read.)

Book Outlet is one of my favorite online discount book sellers, as I get hardcovers there for softcover prices. 

• Options
    Isende said:
    Yeah, now I'll stick with ebooks. Much more portable. Ok, so yes, when I get rich & famous (coughcough) I'll rebuild my library. Now, I'll deal with portable :smiley:
    lol I hear you.  And, I have friends who keep insisting that I invest in ebooks.  But, as of right now, I just can't force myself to do it.  Maybe it's the romantic in me, that hasn't been killed off by pragmatism.  I just LOVE the feel of paper.  I feel that the world the author creates, somehow seeps into the grains of finely pulped wood, and lives there, waiting for my fingers and mind, to transport me to another reality.

No hate for my fellow ebook enthusiasts, but electronic books seem so...sterile.  Though, it's funny we're talking about this, because a friend just introduced me to "MoonReader"(?).  It's an ebook app, that simulates page turning.  It piqued my interest, if I ever decide to go that route.
    It killed me to downsize my book collection.  I have voracious reading habits.  I used to be able to go to the library and I would carry out  6-8 books at a time in a big tote bag. Loved my time in the library roaming the aisles waiting for a book to jump out and grab me.
    There came a time when that was impossible and it was time to check out the world of ebooks.  They will never take the place of a real book in my hands but it does somewhat satisfy my hunger to read.   
  • Options
    Cyreph said:

For me it depends on the series.  I remember reading The Belgariad and The Malloreon when they were initially coming out in hardcover.  Took me about 10 years to read that series, since he was releasing one a year.

Another series I bought immediately was Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett.

On the topic of World Without End, that book prompted me to do something I've never done.  I wrote an email to the author.  I had stopped reading the book for 18 months and I wanted to tell him why.  Here's the e-mail I sent him:

Mr. Follett,

I have been a fan of yours for many years and enjoy your work immensely. But this is the first time I've felt compelled to share my thoughts with you regarding one of your books.  In fact, this is the first time I have ever attempted to contact an author.  I want you to know how deeply I connected with your characters and became involved in their story, which I assume is an author's primary desire.  I loved "Pillars Of The Earth" and when "World Without End" was released, I eagerly went to the bookstore and bought it.  That was in 2007. 

Initially I tore through the book, unable to put it down.  And then it happened.  When Caris was forced to become a nun to save her life, I was angry with you for doing that to her.  That may seem silly, but I was sincerely outraged at the turn of events.  So much so that I put the book down and did not pick it up again until about a week and a half ago. 

I decided I had been rash and needed to give you the opportunity to redeem yourself.  And so you did!  I JUST finished the book only moments ago.  For the last fifth of the book I could NOT put it down.  Page after page I was captivated and eager to learn how you would resolve the various conflicts throughout the story.  I am more than pleased with how you brought it all to a close and applaud you enthusiastically.  Thank you so very much for sharing your gift with us, your fans.

Warmest regards,
  • Options
    ah im back to my favourite forum post. I missed you like I missed my books
  • Options
    Welcome home literary lord @nagash
    Possum said:
    For me it depends on the series.  I remember reading The Belgariad and The Malloreon when they were initially coming out in hardcover.  Took me about 10 years to read that series, since he was releasing one a year.
    I completely forgot about David Eddings! I loved that series. Polgara was such an awesome character.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Welcome home literary lord @nagash <3
    Possum said:
    I completely forgot about David Eddings! I loved that series. Polgara was such an awesome character.
    Did you read the follow-up books about Belgarath and Polgara?
  • Options
    Possum said:
    lexmax said:
    Possum said:
    I actually re-read the entire series again before I read those. Binge reading is such luxury when you don't have to wait years for the books :) 
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Possum said:
    lexmax said:
    Possum said:
    I actually re-read the entire series again before I read those. Binge reading is such luxury when you don't have to wait years for the books :) 
    I did exactly the same!  I bought those to read but decided I wanted the entire series to be fresh in my mind before I did.  :D
  • Options
    I just got a book called the republic of thieves by Scott lynch and I must say its a great read so far
  • Options
    Pulls up a chair.
    "Are there crumpets with the tea?"

When I was much younger I read The Belgariad series, now 25 years on, when I have a bad day I will read a few chapters at random. Takes me back to the kitchen, sat next to the radiator, with the radio on to some jazz, that my Dad loved.
    Which in itself is the main reason I am excited for AoC. I know you can never go back, but those first months in EQ. I want that feeling back.
    ....even the kicking snakes!
  • Options
    Pulls up a chair.
    "Are there crumpets with the tea?"

When I was much younger I read The Belgariad series, now 25 years on, when I have a bad day I will read a few chapters at random. Takes me back to the kitchen, sat next to the radiator, with the radio on to some jazz, that my Dad loved.
    Which in itself is the main reason I am excited for AoC. I know you can never go back, but those first months in EQ. I want that feeling back.
    ....even the kicking snakes!
    This is a British tea room my friend so that would be a yes ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I just got a book called the republic of thieves by Scott lynch and I must say its a great read so far
    I see that is the 3rd book to the "Gentleman Bastards" series. Did you read the other two?
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I see that is the 3rd book to the "Gentleman Bastards" series. Did you read the other two?
    I did, and I enjoyed them, but I have a hard time find this book in shops so I just got it of Amazon 
  • Options
    xexeb said:
    My favorite book is Dune, by frank herbert.
    Haha I actually just picked this up from a second-hand bookshop and I'm loving it so far! Requires a lot of focus though and I'm moving through it quite slowly.

As far as my personal favourite novel series, I would have to say The Edge Chronicles was the series that took me on the wildest journey.
  • Options
    Bran said:
    xexeb said:
    Haha I actually just picked this up from a second-hand bookshop and I'm loving it so far! Requires a lot of focus though and I'm moving through it quite slowly.

As far as my personal favourite novel series, I would have to say The Edge Chronicles was the series that took me on the wildest journey.
    if you want a wild ride you want to read shades of gray by jasper fforde
  • Options
    xexeb said:
    It pains me to read the last book in that series, knowing that the author died soon after writing it. His son is an excellent writer, but to me Frank Herbert will always have a special place in my heart. Also, Dune is often mischaracterized as sci-fi. While it does have spaceships and the like, the underlying technology is pretty much based on magic. I've had a similar argument with friends about whether Star Wars is fantasy or sci-fi. I think it's more sci-fi than Dune, but in general is also largely based on magic, and therefore is fantasy. 

3... 2... 1... :fearful:
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    xexeb said:
    It pains me to read the last book in that series, knowing that the author died soon after writing it. His son is an excellent writer, but to me Frank Herbert will always have a special place in my heart. Also, Dune is often mischaracterized as sci-fi. While it does have spaceships and the like, the underlying technology is pretty much based on magic. I've had a similar argument with friends about whether Star Wars is fantasy or sci-fi. I think it's more sci-fi than Dune, but in general is also largely based on magic, and therefore is fantasy. 

3... 2... 1... :fearful:
    From my early understandings of what I've read I can completely understand why it would be considered sci-fi. It takes place in a space-faring age on different planets with wacky and interesting things that would be considered magic in current times but is technically 'justified' by the author as scientifically sound.
  • Options
    xexeb said:
    Bran said:
    xexeb said:

Dune is by far one of the most forward thinking novels written at the time combining themes you dont often see together. the language used is also beautiful...and frighteningly powerful at the same time. It is haunting and lingers in your mind for years to come.

the second book in this series reads like poetry from a sufi master, its so arching and spiraling in concepts.
    This post literally makes me want to restart my reading of the novel and pull out my notebook.
  • Options
    Bran said:
    xexeb said:
    Bran said:
    xexeb said:

Dune is by far one of the most forward thinking novels written at the time combining themes you dont often see together. the language used is also beautiful...and frighteningly powerful at the same time. It is haunting and lingers in your mind for years to come.

the second book in this series reads like poetry from a sufi master, its so arching and spiraling in concepts.
    This post literally makes me want to restart my reading of the novel and pull out my notebook.
    Get a big notebook... there are 6 hefty novels in the original Dune series and about 17 more co-authored by Frank Herbert's son, Brian.
  • Options
    I almost forgot I said I would post a pic of the books in my office. Sadly, my walls of books at home got to taking up too much space and we donated them. Electronics take up much less room. These are a few that I kept. 
  • Options
    I almost forgot I said I would post a pic of the books in my office. Sadly, my walls of books at home got to taking up too much space and we donated them. Electronics take up much less room. These are a few that I kept. 
    Where did you get that lamp! I need that lamp 
    also love the collection of books ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Where did you get that lamp! I need that lamp 
    also love the collection of books ^^
    My wife is an avid flea marketer / garage sales / estate sales lady. She picked it up for me at an estate sale last year. I love it. In fact, not even an hour ago...lol asking for $20 for an estate sale tomorrow

• Options
    I would love that in my office To Amazon I go!