Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Now That We Know Some Class Skills...

... Will that change what archetype/secondary class you were planning on playing?

I was actually really interested to hear about how many active tank skills there will be that are translatable from PvE to PvP setting. It actually makes me want to look more into tanking in this game. 

Comments

• Yeah as a tank I think @Rumbleforge will be quite chuffed with what we've found out tonight. I will always play a bard and a Dwarf regardless of what they'll say in these reveals.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Oh no! Did I miss the live steam? I hope its up on youtube soon. I thought about going tank in AoC.
  • I need more info before I make that decision. I am really impressed with some of the skills and the ideas behind them.

You can tell there's been some serious brainstorming going on in the team.
  • it was really interesting how mages can see through illusions, I'm tempted to play mage because of that, but I think I will still be a cleric since the healing/damaging balance of life sounds like my cup of tea.
  • They didn't mention the mage levitation/flying thing we've seen in the videos as a mage skill - I hope that hasn't been scrapped since it looked cool.
  • I'm thinking of switching to Mage now for the fireballs.
    edited June 2017
    Ranger all the way. I will still wait with the secondary class choice for more information, but its leaning towards Ranger/Mage Ranger/Ranger
    edited June 2017
    I think teleportation distance should be largened depending on it's level, and also the levitation spell seemed so fun I hope they don't remove it. We need more freedom of mages in this game.

Also I'm not amazed with skills of Mages, after hearing how good Clerics and Tanks will have it in game. Mages' were so generic or they were kiddin'? Also I still do not dig the idea of having book as weapon. Mage should memorize the spells from the book instead of summoning magic from the book. As my main is Mage, I feel unhappy. Might switch to Cleric and Tank, they seem so much fun. Well there are years upon us...

I do wish more non-combat utilization skills for any class. We need more of them. Engaing with environment issue is so spot on.

edit: context
  • Dolphin said:

I do wish more non-combat utilization skills for any class. We need more of them. Engaing with environment issue is so spot on.
    I do hope this too. I'd like to see class specific skills that are utilized and needed outside of combat. 
    edited June 2017
    Didnt like that Clerics are pigeon holed as a melee class. I hope there is some way to play a ranged healer. 
  • Nanfoodle said:
    Didnt like that Clerics are pigeon holed as a melee class. I hope there is some way to play a ranged healer. 
    they talked about a staff wielding healer, so other weapons might give better range
  • It was just enough information that got me salivating for more!!!
    edited June 2017
    @tylerr385, if you missed the live you can see it anytime on the official Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/155596524

Anyway, information about Tank and Cleric has been sooo promising so far. I love the concepts beyond plain "high HP" and "he can heal", especially the battlefield-control part. I'm still waiting to know more about the fighter though, I hope it will be a role able to avoid obstacles and barriers created by other classes :)
  • Nanfoodle said:
    I don't think they are saying Clerics have to be played in melee range. They were saying that there are advantages to it because your chain heal ability can chain off of yourself increasing its damage. I think they are just trying to give us more variety of ways to play a healer than to just stand in the back of the group and be a heal bot who only pays attention to unit frames. If a player would like to do that they still can, but it seems like Intrepid is also offering a more up front approach as a Cleric for those players who like more active play styles or people who want to weave in and out of the front lines and be in the thick of it. It all comes down to them giving us options I think.
  • Likely going Cleric/Fighter, Cleric/Tank or Cleric/Cleric. Really depends on what our armor options are. If we can wear medium/heavy armor as base Cleric, I'll lean for Cleric/Cleric but full support makes leveling a real pain the ass. 

I want plate armor, a sword, sexy smiting abilities and great heals! But most of all, I want to fit the image of the divine warrior/Valkyrie. For those who play D&D/Pathfinder, my PC is a Steel Valkyrie.
  • I haven't been completely deterred from playing Mage, but I'd like to hear more about there single target potential opposed to just AoE skills. #GlassCannon #LetMeBurst
    edited June 2017
    We have to all realize that these skills/mechanics are like 1-2years away from being playable. There will surely be balancing done. 
    As for the cleric being close combat with a staff, I found that cool. There will surely be a weapon with more range. Just try an imagine a cleric/ranger? The amount of options seems amazing.
    i too will have a Mage as my main, and hope that levitation spell makes the cut. 

I wonder if we will get both classes utility spells? Or will we have access to only main class. 
  • Sterio said:
    We have to all realize that these skills/mechanics are like 1-2years away from being playable. There will surely be balancing done. 
    As for the cleric being close combat with a staff, I found that cool. They will surely be a weapon with more range. Just try an imagine a cleric/ranger? The amount of options seems amazing.
    i too will have a Mage as my main, and hope that levitation spell makes the cut. 

I wonder if we will get both classes utility spells? Or will we have access to only main class. 
    I did wonder if the staff would double up as a saberstaff for more of a close quarters build, but I don't think they cleared that up or mentioned it, unless I missed it.
  • Kratz said:
    Sterio said:
    As for the cleric being close combat with a staff, I found that cool. They will surely be a weapon with more range. Just try an imagine a cleric/ranger? The amount of options seems amazing.

I did wonder if the staff would double up as a saberstaff for more of a close quarters build, but I don't think they cleared that up or mentioned it, unless I missed it.
    No you didn't miss it. Don't think it was mentioned. 

• Remember aswell these are a small pool of the skills available and this is being organised for PAX to give players a glimpse of what Ashes could be like.

I love that skills seem to be very interactive and can combo based on when and how you use the skills. I like the concept of weapon skills that charge if you "key" rather than auto attack. :)
    I just wish we got a glimpse of bard.
    Over all I like the direction Ashes is taking and can't wait to learn more :)

p.s I'm jealous of all of you that can go to PAX. I desperately want to try the arena QQ
  • Like what others have already said, the mechanics/gameplay we heard today are the early iterations.  Once they go through alpha/beta player testing, and get feedback, they will likely adjust/polish these ideas.

As was stated, this is just a small sample to get people's "feet wet" so to speak.  I'm sure the devs will use the feedback from PAX as important development info, moving forward.  This isn't a finished product, by a long shot.  

I'm excited by what I heard, and can't wait to learn more!
  • Sorry.  To answer @Karthos's question, I was planning on playing a summoner, while deciding between cleric, mage, or summoner, as my secondary class.  So, this small reveal hasn't changed my mind, but the tank class sounds WAY more fun, and engaging, than how it's usually been presented in other games.

Kinda so-so on that lasso ability.  Will want to see how its visually implemented, before I make any final judgement.  Lasso's bring to mind cowboy's roping steer, or Wonder Woman, lol.  Now, if it was less a rope, and more like a chain, then that would be cool, imo.
    edited July 2017
    I'll be playing all the primary classes anyway if I have the time but I usually main in DPS and then go tank and healer for alt priority in that order. 

I'll definitely be more likely to invest time in a tank and healer if these roles end up being more interactive and exciting than in other MMOs. The D3 Barbarian type leaps and CC pulls alongside the ability to taunt enemies into environmental dmg make the tank sound pretty exciting on paper thus far.

It's the same for the cleric. The stream today gave me hope that the cleric might be designed similar to the Archmage in Warhammer Online where you can balance between dps and healing. I know some people like to focus 100% on healing / support but I'm definitely not one of those people. For those who play Overwatch, they'll know what I mean when I say I prefer to play Ana and Zenyatta if I have to fill the support role in ranked.
    edited July 2017
    Sterio said:
    Secondary skills augment existing skills.
    A Ranger/Cleric should be able to use Purge.
    I don't expect a Ranger/Cleric to be able to use the Cleric ultimate skill.
  • If anything it has made me even more excited to be a cleric~ 

• It has not changed what I will play but it has given me some ideas about things to do in game.  For instance, if I play a mage I will need to remap the utility skill to a button that is not mapped for any other purpose and then macro it with "I dis-believe" entered in guild chat every time I use it.
  • I was very, "we will see" about the Cleric because I am NOT a stand in the back and monitor hp bars, type of person. Based on what we heard they want clerics to be in melee range. They didn't specifically say it but I would hope this means some clerics will be best as melee healers (i.e. the more damage you do the more you heal your group). If so that would be like the WAR WarriorPriest or the DAoC Friar (I played both classes so I'm excited! B))
  • As a primary healer, there is usually a lack of healers (and esp tanks) in games. From the looks of this thread though, I might need to roll a dps as there will be like 500 of us clerics holding "Will heal for gold" signs...
  • No change to my character plans so far.

It was nice to see the direction of the classes are going in, it'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next few months/years. 

I particularly liked the Tank's utility skill, being able to survey a battleground and assess the danger. I wonder if it'll be moved to other classes in the future since it does feel a little more like something a "scout" would do.