Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapons: Styles/Designs

Hello everyone!

So, I got the idea of creating this topic from @Noespark who created the Armour: Styles and Designs topic.
Basically, we know a range of weapons that Intrepid Studios are going to include in Ashes, like swords, bows, staves (plural for staff??). I would assume daggers, maces and spears are also on the table. I'm interested in seeing if you guys have come across some weapon designs in other games that you like the look of and hope the style will make it into Ashes as well. So, feel free to post them here!

Here are some of my favourites (They're from Lineage 2 and Aion, what a SURPRISE, right? haha):

Bows (Aion, L2, Aion, L2)

Swords (Aion, Aion, L2, L2)

Shields (L2, Aion)

And here's a little something I really like from Aion, harps! I really do hope Intrepid Studios decide to add something like a harp weapon for Bards, but guess we'll have to wait and see.

Harps (Aion x2)

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Used to play a lot of Aion just like you did it seems :wink: Even though the weapons look really cool and fancy, it has an "Asian" feel imo. I think it's better that Intrepid goes their own way and keep it western. We've seen enough Asian mmorpgs lately, it's time for western mmorpgs to rise again. By the way, did you play on EU or NA? If EU, what server did you play on? I'm curious now :)
  • Options
    They all look really really cool.  Kinda familiar with them but I like their deisgn especially the second Harp.
  • Options
    Dolan said:
    Used to play a lot of Aion just like you did it seems :wink: Even though the weapons look really cool and fancy, it has an "Asian" feel imo. I think it's better that Intrepid goes their own way and keep it western. We've seen enough Asian mmorpgs lately, it's time for western mmorpgs to rise again. By the way, did you play on EU or NA? If EU, what server did you play on? I'm curious now :)
    Oh my, another fellow Aion-er, so nice to see! :smiley: Going back once 5.6 hits. It's dying, but it always pulls me back haha.
    I used to play on Deyla (both Elyos and Asmo at some point), how about you?

About the the harp being Asian like, I guess you have a point, I just really liked the bard (songweaver) playstyle, the support+DPS (not so much the weird penguin animations tho.....). I am hoping to have a similar play style here in Ashes. Think maybe bard/mage might get me there. Hoping!

• Options
    Im glad i can help get people thinking :)
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    Dolan said:
    Oh my, another fellow Aion-er, so nice to see! :smiley: Going back once 5.6 hits. It's dying, but it always pulls me back haha.
    I used to play on Deyla (both Elyos and Asmo at some point), how about you?

About the the harp being Asian like, I guess you have a point, I just really liked the bard (songweaver) playstyle, the support+DPS (not so much the weird penguin animations tho.....). I am hoping to have a similar play style here in Ashes. Think maybe bard/mage might get me there. Hoping!

Trust me, I had the same like you! Aion managed to drag me into it again every single time... Until 5.0 decided to remove all of Katalam, Tiamaranta. God I loved Tiamaranta's eye... Best PvP spot there was....

I used to play on Spatalos server, decided to delete that account there because the server was severely unbalanced (400 asmos vs 1200 elyos whenever sieges broke out in Katalam). Made a new one on Perento (Both were EU servers by the way) and Perento got merged with a few other servers into one I don't remember the name of, since I stopped playing once that happened. Anyway, I was a ranger and had pretty good DPS for a ranger since I managed to out-dps a lot of sorcerers while rangers were known for their average DPS in PvE, but deadly in PvP one-shotting possibilities. But hey, Katalam got removed with the open world PvP, the massive sieges removed, underground got removed, Tiamaranta with the Eye got removed... They added more daily quests/weekly... Means more grinding for better gear... I was just done once I saw all of that...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh wait, the merged servers with Perento included was called Antriksha or something...
  • Options
    I agree with that the removal of Katalam/Sarpan/Tiamantra was the stupidest decision ever. I LOVED those maps, both PvP and PVE wise. See, I kinda wish that I spent more time in the game from when I first started (around 3.8) and in the whole of ep. 4. I just think everything was so much better back then. And then they went and dropped 5.0 and decided that breakable gear is now a smart thing to implement... So the gap between new and existing players is just stupid, takes forever to even try catching up.
    And Antriksha (I think) I played there a little at some point, but decided to go to Deyla (EU as well btw) for more English speaking players.

I think this will likely be the last time I go back (yeah right, that's what I said all the other times too rofl).
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    I agree with that the removal of Katalam/Sarpan/Tiamantra was the stupidest decision ever. I LOVED those maps, both PvP and PVE wise. See, I kinda wish that I spent more time in the game from when I first started (around 3.8) and in the whole of ep. 4. I just think everything was so much better back then. And then they went and dropped 5.0 and decided that breakable gear is now a smart thing to implement... So the gap between new and existing players is just stupid, takes forever to even try catching up.
    And Antriksha (I think) I played there a little at some point, but decided to go to Deyla (EU as well btw) for more English speaking players.

I think this will likely be the last time I go back (yeah right, that's what I said all the other times too rofl).
    This is your Aion problem right? Well I guess it will always be better than League of Legends since that game is a salt mine, the biggest in the world. Thats my problem right now  :'(  Kill me please

• Options
    I like more minimalist and functional designs. No need to have a fancy hilt on your sword when a basic cross guard that's isn't a 20lb iron skull will do just fine.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I like more minimalist and functional designs. No need to have a fancy hilt on your sword when a basic cross guard that's isn't a 20lb iron skull will do just fine.
    In other words, western ;) Thats what I was trying to say. Intrepid should focus on their own path of design. We've seen enough Asian mmorpgs with fancy weapons. It's time for western mmorpgs to rise again and make a huge impact on the mmorpg genre.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Dolan said:
    Karthos said:
    In other words, western ;) Thats what I was trying to say. Intrepid should focus on their own path of design. We've seen enough Asian mmorpgs with fancy weapons. It's time for western mmorpgs to rise again and make a huge impact on the mmorpg genre.

I am all for unique "western" design, as long as they make it look good still. If every item is going to all be dull and colourless and no options for "fancy hilts" on swords, then I can see it becoming pretty boring. I'm just hoping for variation in weapons, just like in armours that has been discussed extensively before.
  • Options
    I would rather have less extravagant weapon designs. Simplicity gives way to realism. While I do love your run of the mill, over the top weapon designs, I can always go play a Korean MMO for that. This is Ashes of Creation and it's American made. Let's start off with making sense.
  • Options
    the sentient sword Khazid'hea

drizzt do'urdens blades

Greatswords

and lastly a hammer i liked
  • Options
    So far I like the designs shown.  What I do not like are those hugmongus outsized weapons that some games have (and the armor).
  • Options
    And speaking of Aion....that character creator would let you make all kinds of weird characters.  I like that housing won't be little boxes like Aion, too.
  • Options
    I like high fantasy armor and weapons, Could get lost in this all day. I found these with a quick google search, so much out there <3 
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    I really like that red sword.  Good post Xombie
  • Options
    Image result for Rune Scimitar

• Options
    Zid said:
    Image result for Rune Scimitar

This. We need this.
  • Options
  • Options
    @XombieCrisis The graphics are pretty next level though might be a few issues in fitting it in with the overall look of the game... 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Faaaaarrrrrrr farrrrrrrr away from asian as possible please
  • Options
  • Options
    Always amazed at people's ability to google search cool stuff.
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    Always amazed at people's ability to google search cool stuff.
    Yo dawg, Bing is the future!
  • Options
    I don't mean to unnecessarily bump an old topic, but I got so excited from watching last night's stream! In particular when they showed off the concept art for their weapons. It made me so happy to see how similar their concept art looks to the art in my OP!

What are your opinions on the weapons they showed off last night?

Here are the pictures from the stream (sorry about the quality):

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Karthos said:

^^^
    Did you want to be carrying a 20kg bow weight at arms length for hours of war ?
    Are you really going to swing that sword with any kind of speed or control, if you can barely drag it across the floor ?
    Feasibility issues with designs, always grate on me something rotten.
    M'.....'mersion gets easily offended.
    :tongue:

Some gorgeous design concepts though, if only they had more practicality as part of the consideration.
  • Options
    I am in love with the orbs and tomes such a nice change to most MMOs