Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will people who start playing the game at a later date not get the full experience?

With the way the node system works, by playing on release, you get to see the formation of the nodes from stage one into potential metropolises. I feel this is an amazing feature and I am glad it is in the game.

My concern is for people who may want to start playing after the game has been released. They will join the servers to find the world is already developed before they even had a chance to impact it. I understand there are many things for new players to do and they can still impact the nodes through sieges however I feel they are going to miss out on what is for me, one of the most interesting aspects of this game.

Is it just tough luck for those who join late or should there be fresh servers released after a while for the newer players? Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Thing is that in Ashes fully developed nodes can have war waged against them, and if the attackers win, the node will essentially be destroyed. Then there will be an opportunity to new and old players to build up nodes that may previously not have been seen before. The developers want to make a living, breathing world and this is one way in which they want to achieve this.
    (At least I think this is how it works, please correct me if I am mistaken.)
  • Options
    Guess it will come down to the ease/difficulty in changing the world and/or the impetus of the player base to make change!
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    Thing is that in Ashes fully developed nodes can have war waged against them, and if the attackers win, the node will essentially be destroyed. Then there will be an opportunity to new and old players to build up nodes that may previously not have been seen before. The developers want to make a living, breathing world and this is one way in which they want to achieve this.
    (At least I think this is how it works, please correct me if I am mistaken.)
    Yeah I think the way they are making it a living world is amazing. I do agree there is still a lot of ways they can still change the world around them. I do feel the might still feel like they missed out on seeing the rise of the most powerful metropolises/nodes.
  • Options
    Also, even though this is purely speculation, but depending on the size of the population and interest from players, they might at some point open new servers. This is yet another way new players would have the opportunity to experience a fresh start and the feeling of being part of building that whole new world. :smile:
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    Also, even though this is purely speculation, but depending on the size of the population and interest from players, they might at some point open new servers. This is yet another way new players would have the opportunity to experience a fresh start and the feeling of being part of building that whole new world. :smile:
    I wonder that if this happened, would they give priority to newer players on the new server(s)? Issue could be that some people with experience would make new accounts to get ahead of the rest.
  • Options
    Only a certain number of nodes can be unlocked and developed.  This will leave other content unlocked also.  Wars will ensue destroying some nodes and redevelopment will occur.  A world in constant conflict and development will always have opportunity for new players and never be devoid of players like most older games become.   
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Yeah I think the way they are making it a living world is amazing. I do agree there is still a lot of ways they can still change the world around them. I do feel the might still feel like they missed out on seeing the rise of the most powerful metropolises/nodes.
    Thing is, they're not permanent.  Just as we, the players, are the heart of the game's content, we are also the "server refresh".  A metropolis can rise and it can fall, if the players so choose.  A server refresh by Intrepid would completely strip the game of the player agency they desire in the game.  New players can come in, join the fight to take down a metropolis and then participate in redeveloping it, or developing a new metropolis in a neighboring node (more likely reason for attacking).
  • Options
    Only a certain number of nodes can be unlocked and developed.  This will leave other content unlocked also.  Wars will ensue destroying some nodes and redevelopment will occur.  A world in constant conflict and development will always have opportunity for new players and never be devoid of players like most older games become.   
    Yeah, I agree that compared to other games, I expect this one to stay alive and keep people playing much longer. In regards to sieges/wars though, new players might feel overwhelmed by the huge forces but at the same time that could be a good thing as it shows them what they can reach if they put effort in.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Possum said:

Thing is, they're not permanent.  Just as we, the players, are the heart of the game's content, we are also the "server refresh".  A metropolis can rise and it can fall, if the players so choose.  A server refresh by Intrepid would completely strip the game of the player agency they desire in the game.  New players can come in, join the fight to take down a metropolis and then participate in redeveloping it, or developing a new metropolis in a neighboring node (more likely reason for attacking).
    Yeah, the one thing I think that would be the worst decision is for them to wipe a server. I can't see them doing that anyway. People would have invested into the server whether it's inns or homes. If the server wants to keep changing in regards to metropolises then its fine however there is a chance a "treaty" is formed on a server and the top 3 cities keep their spots. This all theory of course as I am just looking for potential issues that may arise.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think that the game will be cyclical regarding the rise and fall of nodes.  A node will rise, have it's time in the sun, then decline and ultimately be replaced.

Now, the cycle lengths will probably vary greatly by server based which guilds are running things.

There's even the possibility that certain nodes may be 'allowed' to decline in order to advance a new node to unlock certain content.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is that in playing on different servers we will likely have vastly different game experiences.

I'm not one of those who will be able to live an alternate life governing and pulling the strings on a server so I'll just happily be along for the ride.  I'll run with the Old Timers Guild and lend a hand where asked.  The high level server decisions will be made by others and I'm ok with that.

I can't wait to see how it all plays out.  It promises to be epically entertaining with something different to stick my nose in each time I log on.
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    I think that the game will be cyclical regarding the rise and fall of nodes.  A node will rise, have it's time in the sun, then decline and ultimately be replaced.

Now, the cycle lengths will probably vary greatly by server based which guilds are running things.

There's even the possibility that certain nodes may be 'allowed' to decline in order to advance a new node to unlock certain content.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is that in playing on different servers we will likely have vastly different game experiences.

I'm not one of those who will be able to live an alternate life governing and pulling the strings on a server so I'll just happily be along for the ride.  I'll run with the Old Timers Guild and lend a hand where asked.  The high level server decisions will be made by others and I'm ok with that.

I can't wait to see how it all plays out.  It promises to be epically entertaining with something different to stick my nose in each time I log on.
    I would love to have an impact in regards to the nodes at the levels you are mentioning however I feel large guilds will have a massive impact and in a few cases will always get the final say. Not that I think that's an issue, I think a large guild should have that level of influence in certain situations.
  • Options
    Crymoar said:

I really don't want to see the mega-guilds control everything.  I'm hoping to see a large alliance of smaller guilds develop a node and maintain it as a "free city" of sorts that is open to all, providing they don't do anything contrary to the well-being of the city.
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Crymoar said:

I really don't want to see the mega-guilds control everything.  I'm hoping to see a large alliance of smaller guilds develop a node and maintain it as a "free city" of sorts that is open to all, providing they don't do anything contrary to the well-being of the city.
    I would really love to see that happen!
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Crymoar said:

This is something that I would like to see as well

Another thing that could happen is an expansion could bring a larger would. Which posibly means higher limit of metropolis,  but definitely means more nodes.
  • Options
    Yess like every other start its gonna be so awesome to find everything out and see stuff rise and biegn destroyed.
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Crymoar said:

This is something that I would like to see as well

Another thing that could happen is an expansion could bring a larger would. Which posibly means higher limit of metropolis,  but definitely means more nodes.
    I feel that if they were to add an expansion, this would be a really cool way to go about it. I would also like if the new area of the world to have new natural resources
  • Options
    True, later players will miss the initial "freshness" of walking into a completely undeveloped world.  But, as other posters have colorfully illustrated, depending on the whims of the players, the world(server) they choose to make their home will vary between stability, chaotic, and everything in between.  

New players late to the game can still experience the thrill of building a node from nothing, into a thriving metropolis.  It'll just depend on if the world they chose has reached the metropolis limit, yet, or if they're present when a previous metropolis falls, to make room for a new one.

And, that's what makes the concept of Ashes so intriguing...dynamism, instigated by player choices.
  • Options
    True, later players will miss the initial "freshness" of walking into a completely undeveloped world.  But, as other posters have colorfully illustrated, depending on the whims of the players, the world(server) they choose to make their home will vary between stability, chaotic, and everything in between.  

New players late to the game can still experience the thrill of building a node from nothing, into a thriving metropolis.  It'll just depend on if the world they chose has reached the metropolis limit, yet, or if they're present when a previous metropolis falls, to make room for a new one.

And, that's what makes the concept of Ashes so intriguing...dynamism, instigated by player choices.
    Yeah, until it happens everything is just a theory. And the fact that all the mentioned possibilities could easily happen shows how open this game is.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    BaddiNaddi 
    No one will get the full experience because Ashes is a dynamic world rather than a static world.
    Things will happen in different regions of the world and when we are offline - and we will just miss it.

But, that's great because then we can be fascinated by the stories people tell of the experiences we missed.

Even with fresh servers, we can't experience everything.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Dygz said:
    BaddiNaddi 
    No one will get the full experience because Ashes is a dynamic world rather than a static world.
    Things will happen in different regions of the world and when we are offline - and we will just miss it.

But, that's great because then we can be fascinated by the stories people tell of the experiences we missed.

Even with fresh servers, we can't experience everything.
    Gather round the campfire folks, let me tell you about the rise and fall of "City McCityface"
  • Options
    New players will get a different experience but they may find things easier as you be able to buy armor and anything you need straight away. When the server just starts at launch you wont be able to do that. Yes they will miss out on that frontier feel but I don't think it will be a bad experience.
  • Options
    It almost makes you want to make a new character on each server just because!
  • Options
    It almost makes you want to make a new character on each server just because!
    Also a good reason to try other archetypes/classes
  • Options

Yeah, the one thing I think that would be the worst decision is for them to wipe a server. I can't see them doing that anyway. People would have invested into the server whether it's inns or homes .
    Buuuuut...It wouldn't be untrue to the 'death of civilisation' cycle of the ashes lore we've heard so far....

Maybe we'll all become refugees, go back through the portals with all our stuff one month, to return with a completely altered world set up another.
  • Options
    Megs said:

Yeah, the one thing I think that would be the worst decision is for them to wipe a server. I can't see them doing that anyway. People would have invested into the server whether it's inns or homes .
    Buuuuut...It wouldn't be untrue to the 'death of civilisation' cycle of the ashes lore we've heard so far....

Maybe we'll all become refugees, go back through the portals with all our stuff one month, to return with a completely altered world set up another.
    There would have to be a LOT of thought put into something like that due to investments people could have put into buildings/structures/cities.
    Interesting idea though.
  • Options
    Yeah. Wouldn't it be fantastic though if they worked out a way to pull it off? 
  • Options
    Megs said:
    Yeah. Wouldn't it be fantastic though if they worked out a way to pull it off? 
    It could work with enough effort but I do think there are many more valid options which would create less confusion and keep more people happy.
  • Options
    I think yes. They will miss out. If a metropolis springs up it will be very hard to bring down. In the beginning any city that is larger than it's neighbors will have an advantage and will kill all the smaller ones so it doesn't have to face them later. It will continue this behavior when it's a metropolis. See a new city and kill it before it becomes a threat unless it's in a good spot and has the metropolis' blessing. The start of the game will be the most important time.
  • Options
    You really only have to de-level the metropolis from Stage 6 to Stage 5.
    Then we'll have to see if a different Stage 5 city can reach Stage 6 before the other one can rebuild.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    You really only have to de-level the metropolis from Stage 6 to Stage 5.
    Then we'll have to see if a different Stage 5 city can reach Stage 6 before the other one can rebuild.
    True but the new people wont get the enjoyment helping to build the metropolis from square one.