Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Potions

What sorts of Potions would we like to see in-game ? My first thoughts are potions similar to the Final Fantasy Series , but i think we can think of something better  :D

Maybe some  Dark / Witchcraft Potions ?

Comments

• Options
    I think class specific potions would be useful for the crafting economy. Also extremely rare/legendary potions that grant temporary effects, such as invulnerability, or a primary ability from another class. I'd save up my 10 second invulnerability potion for years if it meant I could pull of some legendary feat someday :lol:
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    " I think class specific potions would be useful for the crafting economy. Also extremely rare/legendary potions that grant temporary effects, such as invulnerability, or a primary ability from another class. I'd save up my 10 second invulnerability potion for years if it meant I could pull of some legendary feat someday :lol:"
    I've thought about that too tbh. But it so many to think of though (: 3)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I'm totally on the fence about potions in general.  I have seen situations in other games where potions morph into just another "ability" you need to have on your hotbar - effectively a contributing factor to "ability creep" whereby over time you find a need for more and more hotbar slots for things that aren't abilities but are used as such.  I don't think I like that.  I'd prefer a hotbar with 10 - 20 truly useful abilities and I'd prefer most of them be something my character innately possesses instead of something he purchases and consumes.
  • Options
    I'm all in for potions as I really do enjoy alchemy in games and will most likely try it here in Ashes as well at some point. Only thing I have against them is that they need to be done right, or they become more of a nuisance than a good thing to have. I think Steven already addressed this in one of the live-streams, but the most important thing that potions should not do, is to replace certain classes. And as I want to play a bard/x this is very important to me.
  • Options
    @Banditman , I think i see what you mean. But potions can be used for Numerous of other things than just ... " Healing ". 

We're talking other kinds of magical potions too - like witchcraft (: 3)
    (not literally, but to have a more immersive feel)

Devs did say this MMO is a High-Fantasy, right ?
    Have you ever seen a Magical-Bazaar ?

• Options
    Nelirya said:
    ...  but the most important thing that potions should not do, is to replace certain classes. And as I want to play a bard/x this is very important to me. "
    " replace " ? I honestly never seen that happen before. But definitely agree.
  • Options
    @Eragale - Sure, I know.  And it's not just healing either.  Potions have been used in other games to clear status effects / debuffs.  Potions have been used for mana regen.  This is what I am tentatively concerned about.  Not overly concerned, I just don't like the idea of potions that become defacto "abilities" that you need to carry or be at a disadvantage.

And I don't mean to pick on "potions" either.  It could be scrolls or food or items.  Anything that I'm forced to make room for on a hotbar or suffer the consequences of not doing so.
  • Options
    I would like potions to have a range of effect and the higher level of alchemy the higher the lower bound is. As for consumption I feel that they should not be instantaneous but require time to drink. While drinking having the user not be able to take any other actions, only being able to move, would be good. There could be perks or something similar that the alchemist could have which increases the users movement speed while drinking. Or maybe additional effects like that could be caused by certain ingredients added in during creation.
  • Options
    @Banditman
    Ah definitely understand what you mean now  :)
  • Options
    Well, a nice thing would be potions to launch. You throw a bottle in a cave, it breaks, the content reacts with air and shines for a while, so you can see better.

Maybe potions could slow the rusting process of weapons and armours

Maybe some mounts may be feeded some potions, specific to their individual kind, and making them move faster, carry more weight, develop NOS farting....

You could also think of potions that makes you replicate particulare animal noises (or that produce sounds alike upon breaking), thus attracting monsters 

Oh, my character will become so rich in making potions....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ruairidh said:
    " Well, a nice thing would be potions to launch. You throw a bottle in a cave, it breaks, the content reacts with air and shines for a while, so you can see better.

Maybe potions could slow the rusting process of weapons and armours

Maybe some mounts may be feeded some potions, specific to their individual kind, and making them move faster, carry more weight, develop NOS farting....

You could also think of potions that makes you replicate particulare animal noises (or that produce sounds alike upon breaking), thus attracting monsters 

Oh, my character will become so rich in making potions.... "
    :D , I didn't even have to finish reading this Comment to know that I liked it - indeed.
    Even better ... " When Science meets Magic " - how would that " turn " out, yeah ?
  • Options
    I prefer my potions aged in oak barrels and served over ice. 
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    Nelirya said:
    ...  but the most important thing that potions should not do, is to replace certain classes. And as I want to play a bard/x this is very important to me. "
    " replace " ? I honestly never seen that happen before. But definitely agree.

My bad, I could probably have explained better.

What I mean by potions "replacing a class" can be demonstrated well from the bard class. This class (from the info we've gotten so far from live-streams) will be able to provide some HoT, mana healing and some buffs. So, when I say that potions should not replace a class, I basically mean that a HP potion should not be able to give more/better HoT than a bard. Or that a potion should not give such a buff that the same buff from a bard is less worth. Or that a mana potion can heal more mana than the bard can.

Hope I explained myself better this time :smiley:
  • Options
    @Nelirya ,

After doing some research, i think i know what you mean  :)
  • Options
    @lexmax

After re-reading your post, I was hoping for something more diverse than just immunity tbh. But that kind potion will make the Game Break itself :s
  • Options
    I was thinking more Magical Potions that can actually inflict Damage, or cause Shapeshifting , Luring Potions, or Potions involved in Ritual Summoning, etc ..

Not the HP/MP potions Xp
  • Options
    i've played many many many mmorgps where "potions" turned into "pollution." what i mean by this is it just became a massive inventory and hotbar mess.  when you have more potions hotkeyed than abilities and 3/4 of your inventory is filled with 50 different kinds of potions it becomes a turn off.   this is something that appeals to a fairly small niche of players.

i for one hope there are no potions of any kind, even if there are, i won't ever have, use or buy any....hated potions since 1999 #EQ, but...to each is own, not like if they have things in the game i don't like but feel are necessary i can't just go play somethin else....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Wizard_Beard
    That bad on Potions ? Guess I'll check those out. What other MMOs had that issue. I wouldn't mind exploring  :)
  • Options
    I don't think that it would be too far fetched to allow say only one (or insert some better number here for "reasons") potion to be available for use at a time. If you need an immersion reason only one hanging from your belt and easily accessible. With no swapping of the available potion in combat (same rules as per skills).
    This would both allow a large number of potions to be useable yet would also need to be setup for the situation, eg. non heals classes may prep heal potions when soloing, when grouped switch over to utility.

As far as whether I think potions are actually a good idea or not i'm on the fence, I like a "simple" life without needing to overthink things too much or grow extra fingers, although at the same time I do like making a profit where a profit is available.
  • Options
    Would alcohol be considered a potion or a food?  Can people get drunk in AoC?  I played EQ1 and had a troll brewer/chef/smith.  I rped evil and spent lots of time getting drunk and handing gnomes gnome kabobs made from their guards that I killed...Even better if we pk people will they drop meat that I can cook?  Will it tell who I got the meat from so I can mail them food made out of their own body to enjoy silence of the lambs style?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Dominus Kuuk
    There's many series that have their way in depicting "Magical Potions"

When i think of " Potions ", i think of Harry Potter & Final Fantasy.
    Including a few other Fiction Entertainment i can't think of at the moment.

Personally, Potions to me means  ....
     " its a temporal fragment of Magic your able to use, but not abuse - each with it's own Special Requirement(s)  " 

Despite how (extremely) vague that is, I'd  say yes. But there's more to do with it  :)
  • Options
    Banditman said:
    I'm totally on the fence about potions in general.  I have seen situations in other games where potions morph into just another "ability" you need to have on your hotbar - effectively a contributing factor to "ability creep" whereby over time you find a need for more and more hotbar slots for things that aren't abilities but are used as such.  I don't think I like that.  I'd prefer a hotbar with 10 - 20 truly useful abilities and I'd prefer most of them be something my character innately possesses instead of something he purchases and consumes.

I hadn't consciously thought of them this way; but I think you have a very good point and I'm in agreement.  Having played many games I have seen this happen over time where you have inventory and hotbar clogs.   You make a convincing argument and have won me over.
  • Options
    Something old, 
    Like musky wine
    A pinch of dill
    And dash of brine.
    A devil's belly open, torn
    Spills forth sulfur, fire, and peppercorn.
    Sweeten with a child's laugh,
    Let them not to close
    Lest they breathe their last.
    Dredge forty nights in a fetid well,
    And unleash the brew for pickled hell.
  • Options
    What if instead of being able to make as many potions as you want you have a limit of say 3 bottles you can carry with you.  You then could go to an alchemist to get the potions you want or make them yourself. If you make the potion yourself (and your not an alchemist) you run the risk of brewing it wrong and can poison yourself on use.  As for using them in combat to stop people from just chugging them maybe either give a movement speed debuff when your drinking it.  If the debuff isn't your thing then maybe make it so you can move when you drink it but its half as effective due to spilling.

As for kinds of potions something like a mimic potion would be cool where you can copy the look of another character.  Lots of fun things can come from that.
  • Options
    I just want to know who will be brewing the Felix Felicis =D I call dibs!

• Options
    Florn said:
    " ...  If you make the potion yourself (and your not an alchemist) you run the risk of brewing it wrong and can poison yourself on use.  As for using them in combat to stop people from just chugging them maybe either give a movement speed debuff when your drinking it.  If the debuff isn't your thing then maybe make it so you can move when you drink it but its half as effective due to spilling ... "
    I anticipated this tbh - and hoping this is a mechanic
    ( the part Bold is what i truly hoped for though )

. However, the important part of having more Variety of Potions ... is to make them very distinct in abilities - completely different in fact. And they won't be abused.

In addition to what @Wizard_Beard said in his post
  • Options
    Florn said:
    " ... What if instead of being able to make as many potions as you want you have a limit of say 3 bottles you can carry with you ... "
    In order for something like this to work, I'd imagine that it'll be ideal to make it realistic - whatever you have in your inventory, let it be seen on your Character's Person

(Hence: If you are carrying a Sword, Staff and Shield, etc ... let it be seen. As opposed having an Another Set of Armor in your pocket ~.~ )

However, if the Vial is small , and can be hidden - then it won't be seen )

Florn said:
    " As for kinds of potions something like a mimic potion would be cool where you can copy the look of another character.  Lots of fun things can come from that .. "
    Exactly  o:)  , Potions are much more than just HP & MP Restorations tbh

• Options
    I would make a potion and promise it will turn you into a prince/princess but 9nly really turns you into a frog
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I would make a potion and promise it will turn you into a prince/princess but 9nly really turns you into a frog
    lols, that'll be a potential in-game ... " joke " >~>

Similar to this Video-Link below 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdxriZkkWDw
  • Options
    Could we get some potions that are left over relics from the old inhabitants and that you can stumble upon in your journeys but when you collect it, it doesn't tell you what it does till you use it. Then of course have the dev's make 99% of them joke potions for the banter.