Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Rejoice!! no more grey, junk, inventory clutter, bag filler.

Could we perhaps do away with useless items...

you know that crap that just fills your inventory slots.

the stuff that typically ends needing a 'sell junk' option or mod to organize and remove.

With it's only use to irritate and incentivize buying more inventory space or typical F2P ruse to purchase bag slots.

Please make all stuff useful to some degree or purpose.

Comments

• Options
       "Searches in her bag for the kitchen sink till she remembers selling  it for 100 gold to a homeless frog"
  • Options
    We need the useless junk to feel how lucky we are getting a useful item haha XD

Balance my friend....Balance 
  • Options
    "One man's junk is another man's treasure"
  • Options
    But it's not another mans treasure it's NPC  vendor at best and an inconvenient waste of space the rest of the time.

I don't appreciate 'luck' when the reward is compromised by random useless superficiality.

presuming a necessity in the unnecessary is flawed perception.

• Options
    I disagree. Grey junk is what I play games for. I like to horde it, and the only thing I typically buy in-game is vault upgrades so that I can keep more grey shit in there. It's just so beautiful, and if they took it away I'd have to fly all the way to Cali to give the devs a good telling off. And none of us want that.
  • Options
    Whocando said:
    But it's not another mans treasure it's NPC  vendor at best and an inconvenient waste of space the rest of the time.

I don't appreciate 'luck' when the reward is compromised by random useless superficiality.

presuming a necessity in the unnecessary is flawed perception.

Personally I do collect all that junk if it can be sold to a vendor. I do think it's not going to be quite that easy in Ashes though.  And yes I do hate my bags getting filled with "useless" crap.  I do enjoy the "delete" feature to make room for the good stuff.  
    All that junk as you call it does add up and helps buy repairs.   Momma always said "a penny saved is a penny earned!"     I'm the one who picks up all the trash you leave on the ground.  Would I like better then "junk" loot?  Well of course I would but not everything in a game or life has to be of great value to add up to something.  

• Options
    I'm a junk hoarder it makes loads of coin when you sell it all. Unless the mobs drop coins you just need to get junk. Otherwise you cant get that new armor you need to help you level up.
  • Options
    I still don't think a redundancy by design is beneficial.
    most junk has little to no value and counter intuitive to the time it takes to find the nearest NPC to offload then return to whatever it was you were actually enjoying previously in the first place.

whether the liquid currency inflation generated by junk selling  is a positive element depends on the relevant currency sinks to counter it, in other words a problem that requires yet another solution.

Junk typically has no value in player to player interactions or horizontal progression like salvaged crafting materials

By it very existence it requires more empty inventory spaces by method of compensation effect.

its nature is an RNG assistance filler and inventory slot incentive for lazy game design.
  • Options
    Should be easy enough to have it always useful for building camps and villages.
  • Options
    But... but, I like my junk.  :( 

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Whocando said:
    I still don't think a redundancy by design is beneficial.
    most junk has little to no value and counter intuitive to the time it takes to find the nearest NPC to offload then return to whatever it was you were actually enjoying previously in the first place.

whether the liquid currency inflation generated by junk selling  is a positive element depends on the relevant currency sinks to counter it, in other words a problem that requires yet another solution.

Junk typically has no value in player to player interactions or horizontal progression like salvaged crafting materials

By it very existence it requires more empty inventory spaces by method of compensation effect.

its nature is an RNG assistance filler and inventory slot incentive for lazy game design.
    So basically for you it is only a waste of time where as for some it's a means to build cash.  Games like these always have some sort of time sink.  I like the idea that not everything i loot will be epic or  great loot.  I like surprises.  
    What I would like to see though is loot that makes sense.  Why would a wolf drop anything but meat or hides?  But then how would you get an epic set of armor off a monster unless it is human?   
  • Options
    Birds and fish consume all kinds of junk.
    Mammals and birds frequently include treasures in their nests and lairs.
    Easier to just have their loot drop when tech isn't robust enough to have every mob have a nest or lair for player characters to loot.
  • Options
    Ah nostalgia...!

I remember farming what would be considered a grey item (%c chance rng drop from a mob/monster). I would take my chock full inventory to the auction house and sell that much needed ingredient to crafters who could not or did not want to be bothered to farm the resource themselves...

I am expecting similar types of drop items in AoC.

One gamer's junk is another's treasure indeed!

• Options
    Keth said:
    Ah nostalgia...!

I remember farming what would be considered a grey item (%c chance rng drop from a mob/monster). I would take my chock full inventory to the auction house and sell that much needed ingredient to crafters who could not or did not want to be bothered to farm the resource themselves...

I am expecting similar types of drop items in AoC.

One gamer's junk is another's treasure indeed!

Indeed it is!
  • Options
    I love grey fluff, especially when it's literally pocket fluff. What I don't love is really over zealous bag limitations. Let me gather like 50 piles of junk before I need to sell.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Another boring interlude bought to you from Megs...

In real life, if you kill an animal it's pretty much ALL useful.
    Hide, hair, obvious meat, less obvious meat, brains (either for eating or tanning), bones, sinew, hooves, teeth, fat, etc etc.

I've got to agree with Whocando, I'd love to see everything being able to be used somehow. And as long as you receive some item for your troubles, isn't it better that it is an item that has a purpose and a use for someone?

You'll still end up with the less valuable items possibly being left behind...why carry all those brains around if you haven't the space and only wanted the meat?

But just making sure that everything has a purpose? I don't think it'll stop the bags/storage overflowing issue one jot.
    It'll just change the names of said junk that you accumulate.
  • Options
    But how will I horde my piles of bone chips and stateless armor?!
  • Options
    I made plenty of money as a newbie in EQ by picking up all the stuff people were too lazy to loot.  It amazes me ... free money!  Yeah, you could say I don't mind the grey stuff.
  • Options
    *posts a sign in his yard* "Leave your unwanted grey junk here"
  • Options
    gray junk is ok as long as it stacks. :)
  • Options
    Bags are going to be relatively limited storage anyways - which is why we will need pack animals and caravans.
  • Options
    You seems to be qlueless to why are there grey or "junk" items.
    Let m8 enlighten U:

Lets use wow as a example:
    You know in wow(just like in any other MMO), there are many types of enemies, humanoids, beasts etc.
    You see if you kill a human, he drops money, it's logical, if you kill someone in the street, you can loot money too. That works this way in wow, if you kill a humanoid he drops gold.

However if you kill a beast, like your neighborhood's dog, it doesn't drop money, nor does it drop gold in wow.
    However the ones who deseigned the initial wow was very smart. They implemented grey quality "junk" items with 100% drop rate from npc-s that doesn't carry money. Those item's vendor worth is about equal with the average gold dropped from the equally powerful humanoids.

You see? It's immersive, as a beast doesn't drop gold, but you ar still equally rewarded for farming beast, than you do farming bandits.

Other grey quality items may be gear that isn't worth much, but still usable, like the starter gear was grey quality in the past days of wow, as was the gear dropped from starter lvl npcs. They was usable(wearable), but well, they was weak, "junk" from a hero's point of view, but it was a gear that a farmer can afford to wear.

Also if you are realistic, everyone should drop loots of junk when you kill them. For example if you pick a 2H sword, and kill someone on the street, he will going to drop thorn clothes, which is junk. 
    Every item that was worn by your enemy, and doesn't drop as a usable item should be drooped as a junk, which can then be reprocessed by crafting or sold to some junk trader.
    You see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_mass according to the laws of the world, matter can't just vanish into void, if someone wore some equipment it need to be drooped if he is slain. It damaged in the process, so broken items(grey junk) are generated.

tl.dr: If you doesn't want junk, then don't pick it, that's so simple.
  • Options
    uh huh.........................

• Options
    uh huh.........................

Lol well, since they wouldn't implement my "Saeyo" button-where you could choose to default your non-wanted items to me. I figured a sign in my yard will have to do. 
  • Options
    It's part of the fantasy. It can get annoying but as a few people pointed out, it would be absurdly rare to kill something and it only have useful materials.

Finding junk to loot and vendor is more fun than just finding gold or worst case nothing. Makes the monsters feel more "alive".
  • Options
    I can understand, and relate, to all sides of this issue.  

As @Dygz stated earlier, if there are "junk/grey" items in the game, instead of it just being used as "sell stuff", additional options could be that they could be salvageable, dependent on your Artisan class, used as "turn in material" to help node development, or "trade in's" to certain npc's, for useful items in return.

That way, the players who like their junk, get to keep it, but those who decry it's uselessness, can be satisfied that the "junk" isn't just "junk" anymore.

• Options
    I am not opposed to players hording things or making currency/resources from kills, if anything I am in support of your ventures.

@MADE I am aware of WoW design and in my opinion its stupid lazy design metric to promote RNG grinding. hence why I made this OP because i feel it's yet another fall back crutch mechanic that needs to be just as obsolescent as its premise.

I would conclude that the 'junk' was not 'clever' but an easy solution to a poor design philosophy.

Understand the Junk and waste is a very modern concept as a byproduct of western culture associated with the advent of plastics for the most part.

Killing humanoids drops currency but beast don't..so we need junk filler, NO.

Beasts drop all sort of useful items and resources that can facilitate industry.

meats, bones, blood, skins, hides, furs, teeth, feathers, scales. sinews, tendons...the list goes on. None of these items are junk or have to be junk....

what about the professions associated too, skinning, butchery,tanning, cooking, weaving, leather working, alchemy, apothecary, etc.

vanquishing a humanoid still does not imply a requirement for a % of items as useless* vendor trash.

If an item is broken* or damaged* let someone have the ability to salvage, scrap or even repair it.

basic loot should not result in junk but basic resources and common constituents with a use.

Even in a profession has a failed attempt the outcome should not result in junk but a proportional loss of ingredients or detriment of quality/duration to the point where the failure itself is the liquidation of assets.

It is far better to promote the economy and player to player interactions, then inflate/compensate global currency by items of inconvenience sold to specific NPC's for the purpose of inconvenience.

• Options
    Yep. Another long post about stuff that Ashes isn't planning to do anyways. :p
  • Options
    Good.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Junk in MMOs is usually a useful thing, break it down for crafting mats or NPC it for money.

Junk instead of direct currency drops from mobs usually helps to combat RMT's as well being its harder to script a bot to return to town to sell things rather than just kill kill kill