Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Any chance the Character Creator can be...

Any chance the Character Creation can be designed to be;

1) Able to be used online AND offline 
2) Character designs Exportable (so design can be shared with others Ashes players)
3) Up and running prior to launch
4) Exportable for 3d printing.. (raised this one before, either as a personal 3d file to print yourself or as a Ashes shop item service)

Comments

• Options
    While I think those features would be cool, I feel they should not be a priority. Again cool ideas.
  • Options
    I believe they have said that they might be able to make the character creator available a bit prior to launch, and let us export our character. It has not been confirmed but they are thinking about it
  • Options
    For the third option they mentioned that they want to be able to offer character creation to us prior to launch.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Really, the app fits into parallel development for them just fine, I would think.

The CC would initially just offer Human creation, presumably, then as they develop the game and start adding the Elves, Dwarves, more customizable options, etc - the CC gets downloadable updates for these features as they progress.

It's pretty much just a stand alone executable of a feature that is a part of the main game. 

It would be much easier to accomplish these days, than the one for EQ2 back in the day.  That one they had to wait till all the character creation aspects were finished and then shipped it out on cd to people who preordered the box edition. 
    Oh how times have changed!  

P.S.
    Love the idea for exporting 3D printable files.
    Would love that feature!
  • Options
    I think they implied being able to create your character before launch. I'd really like to be able to 3d print my character.

• Options
    As others have pointed out they have said it might be nice to have character creation prior to launch, would be very cool if they did, something to play with. Really do like the 4 points you have especially the 3d printing.
  • Options
    Nice ideas but I'd be happy with a pre-launch CC at this point, especially if it's BDO-esque in detail, or improved.
  • Options
    hmmm not having access to a 3D printer, it would be neat to be able to order them.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Nice ideas but I'd be happy with a pre-launch CC at this point, especially if it's BDO-esque in detail, or improved.
    I thought the devs mentioned they would also like that.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Kratz said:
    I thought the devs mentioned they would also like that.
    Totally correct sir so I hope they deliver ;)
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    hmmm not having access to a 3D printer, it would be neat to be able to order them.
    Well, there's a market! Hey, all you owners of 3-D printers ... wanna help out a bit, if this becomes doable? For a small surcharge, of course!
  • Options
    Admit it, this is more about playing dress up right?
  • Options
    I would be happy with being able to export my exact settings so when I go to recreate my character(s) in the actual game, I can bring them in with a single import.
  • Options
    think offline a no go 
  • Options
    I can see it now. If they release the CC say a week before game launch, we will all be sitting in front of our computers making the perfect character for a week instead of the average 1-3 hours. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Making it exportable for 3D printing is very forward looking, and absolutely a great idea!  If implemented, it would be the little things like that that would set AoC way ahead of the market.
  • Options
    2 & 3 are the only must-haves for me. Being able to save your character customization should be a given for any new MMO nowadays.

The other two would just be extra bonuses. 
  • Options
    As it was stated they will release the CC. During that week I'll be experimenting and making some toons. They going to make some really ugly toons, ones you think were dropped at birth, hit with the ugly stick or make some only a mother would love. Then post my results.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Well @NightshadeRaven from Stevens offhand comment about competitions to do with cc, it might be that after creating beautiful tons, we're all joining you in creating monsters :smiley:

Oh and, wouldn't 3d printing ourselves, affect intrepids franchise hopes for selling little models?
  • Options
    Megs said:
    Well @NightshadeRaven from Stevens offhand comment about competitions to do with cc, it might be that after creating beautiful tons, we're all joining you in creating monsters :smiley:

Oh and, wouldn't 3d printing ourselves, affect intrepids franchise hopes for selling little models?

I think if its for personal use they would not have an issue with it, but we need confirmation. But how does one get the data to import it into a 3d modelling software and finally create the export file needed for the 3d printer. I can do step 2 and 3 but not step 1.
  • Options
    Megs said:

I think if its for personal use they would not have an issue with it, but we need confirmation. But how does one get the data to import it into a 3d modelling software and finally create the export file needed for the 3d printer. I can do step 2 and 3 but not step 1.
    Having done 3d printing previously from photo to 3d to solid and from 3d model to solid; it is not difficult. A small model character only costs 10-15 dollars to print, add markup and postage and handling and it would still be in reasonable marketable range.

Personally, I would not be in to buying character merchandise so much but if I could order my own character 3d printed then my arm might be twisted.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    AkaBear said:
    Having done 3d printing previously from photo to 3d to solid and from 3d model to solid; it is not difficult. A small model character only costs 10-15 dollars to print, add markup and postage and handling and it would still be in reasonable marketable range.
    Can you tell me what software you used to get a photo to a 3d model be interested to know.
  • Options
    Megs said:

The character model could be exported to something universal like a step-file. This can be scaled and converted to whatever specific file-type the 3D-printer needs. I dont think its difficult from a technical standpoint but it does make it very easy to copy/steal their character appearance models.
  • Options
    AkaBear said:
    Can you tell me what software you used to get a photo to a 3d model be interested to know.
    Work flow here for photo to 3d..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLYqdCubedA

But.. it is not as easy as it is shown.. it takes a bit of understanding, good subjects and some basic principals to get right.

The you can just drop your model into shapeways or other online printing companies for selection of material to be printed in and cost estimate.
  • Options
    AkaBear said:
    But.. it is not as easy as it is shown.. it takes a bit of understanding, good subjects and some basic principals to get right.

The you can just drop your model into shapeways or other online printing companies for selection of material to be printed in and cost estimate.
    Well that make it a lot more clearer. I have used that software before. Nothing stops you from taking screenshots around your character in game say 20 to 50 times in different positions. The fun part will be once you get it back and have to fix it up in a 3d modeling software but I think it can be done.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    AkaBear said:

Well that make it a lot more clearer. I have used that software before. Nothing stops you from taking screenshots around your character in game say 20 to 50 times in different positions. The fun part will be once you get it back and have to fix it up in a 3d modeling software but I think it can be done.
    If you can spin your character 360 degrees vertically and horizontally yes
    If not it will probably come out with mistaken / guessed areas.

There are some editors that can do from video too!

Best results are obtained when either a blank background or a gridded background that stays static with the model so that there is a permanent "grid of reference* during rotation.

• Options
    Neviathan said:
    The character model could be exported to something universal like a step-file. This can be scaled and converted to whatever specific file-type the 3D-printer needs. I dont think its difficult from a technical standpoint but it does make it very easy to copy/steal their character appearance models.
    If a file can be exported in one of the following formats OBJ, FBX or DDE I can then import it into a 3d program to convert to a 3d print format.
  • Options
    think offline a no go 
    If it's stand-alone and works on an export-file basis, I don't see why it can't be an offline program with online patching utility. It's an excellent idea, and from a software design standpoint, I don't see it being overly complicated. I would love to dump the creator in my laptop and have a little fun whenever I have time. 

Megs said:

Your printable character by default sits/stands on a base with the words "Ashes of Creation" emblazoned on it. Also, website details will be found at the bottom of the base. Intrepid will forgo the model cash and earn a few more players. :)

• Options

Now that we have color 3d printers coming out into the consumer market, I really want to see exportable versions of our own characters now more than ever. 

Has anyone heard any mention of this potential feature from the devs yet? 
    I still think it would be an awesome addition to the character creation process.  One of those little features that would really help Ashes stand out from the rest. 
  • Options

Now that we have color 3d printers coming out into the consumer market, I really want to see exportable versions of our own characters now more than ever. 

Has anyone heard any mention of this potential feature from the devs yet? 
    I still think it would be an awesome addition to the character creation process.  One of those little features that would really help Ashes stand out from the rest. 
    Are you planning on selling models of yourself @Rumbleforge??! :D