Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mount speculation: Limitations & Mechanics

So i would like to bring up a key topic in most mmo's which is something i believe to be a community killer; flying mounts. However, despite this flaw, this is something i find to be really neat at the same time so finding the balance is the object of this discussion. Now, in the past I've witness a particular mmo that introduce flying mounts In an expansion and seeing how much it hit the social side of things and that is something i hope AOC can learn from and prevent but at the same time give us this piece content. A few ideas comes to mind when trying to tackle this issue. If this game wants to have a realistic value then the feel, physics and mechanics should be true. Before jumping into individual ideas, my opinion on flying mounts would be of a rare attire, so the whole community wont disappear into the sky (sky content maybe? :D). Idea 1) Different tiers of flying. Maybe some mounts can only fly in normal conditions due to their versatility to the environment so in order to fly more, you need obtain a rarer mount or train with them so that can handle better flying condtions and periods. Another view to this is having gliding mounts, so mounts that can glide down from high places. Idea 2) Unlimited/constant flying in my eyes is a nono, social killer, and therefore an energy bar or cool-down of sorts depending on what sort of flying mount is in use and how strong/capable it is preforming flight. This would mean, you would prevent the abuse of everyone flying from point a to b all the time. Idea 3) Introduce unique flying/ground(aimed at ground more than flying) travelling styles depending on the specifics of the mount. To elaborate make mounts mechanics different  instead of different speeds to keep mounts more spicy especially ground mounts and aim for it to be as fun to use as flying mounts. for example, A jaguar mount would be speedy and agile, being able to leap, strafe, and manoeuvre through more complicated terrain having its own play style compared to a horse which is faster, but stronger and be able to accommodated another passenger. However it cannot match the agility of the jaguar which could scale rocks or more complicated areas. You get the idea of how impressiveness the mount system could be. Any thoughts on this or of your own? Like any of the ideas? drop a comment!

Comments

• Options
    Flying mounts have been stated to be extremely limited in appearance in AoC. Kings / Queens for example. Keeping these limited in use was a stated importance from the Q/A =)
  • Options
     I believe flying mounts definitely need to be limited to a small percentage or a extremely difficult reward, because it allows players to detach from the actual world allowing them to bypass everything that they choose to bypass. 
  • Options
    Belewyn said:
    Flying mounts have been stated to be extremely limited in appearance in AoC. Kings / Queens for example. Keeping these limited in use was a stated importance from the Q/A =)
    As Belewyn says, flying mounts are extremely rare in Ashes.
  • Options
    Not too hard to figure out the percentage actually. The stated cap is 10k concurrent users per server. You will need near max population to maintain 5 active metropolis and 5 active castles. 10 people with flying mounts max per server, not counting possible extremely rare, time expired, egg drops. That works out to 0.001 percent of population with the ability to fly at any one time. I believe that will meet most peoples requirements for not being common and immersion breaking.
  • Options
    as some have stated they are very rare...and as such you can bet a no life will be the one flying on one, thus...since i casually have no life i want a "dragonkiller harpoon" i can build and shoot said person down....and they have to run back to their main city to respawn it #puremeaness lol
  • Options
    It seems everybody agrees that the open world should not be harmed because of flying mounts, but those could excist some other way. Like OP mentioned gliding and own content for flying mounts would be really nice. Because boats are going to explore the sea, there could be some content in the sky where you can only get with your flying mount. So its that way taken out of the main land. This is also something devs does not need to get to release, it can be part of future expansion.  
  • Options
    Could some mounts have abilities? Just one/two to make them more unique. Short sprint, leap, stealth, tackle.. or maybe some cosmetic visual effects.
  • Options
    Mounts will have abilities, and they may be type based. Turtles may squirt water and so on. You will NOT be able to use your abilities while riding a mount, but you may be able to use mount abilities while mounted. Mounts can be killed by other characters in PVP. Mounts can fight back. Mounts can fight back, but no confirmation on how effective they will be. Don't expect them to be as effective as a summoner pet.
  • Options
    We should have super jumping mounts like that frog from Ark Survival and maybe mounts that climb cliffs too!
  • Options
    I like the idea of flying mounts that are very rare, I certainly hope this doesn't change in future expansions. Mount that climbs cliffs could be a cool alternative for people to reach content that otherwise is only available to flying mounts, however I think this would be difficult to implement; though could be done if they let it climb at certain places only. This could however just be done without a mount as well, in terms of egular climbing; in fact I don't think it should be limited to a mount because that would be a bit strange.
  • Options
    Regular climbing is a specific archetype mechanic. There will be climbing and jumping puzzles.