Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

For those that like to collect, gather.... Bag Space?

Hey!  With the world being so large, and no fast travel in the game other than the one special node when leveled up, forget the name of it at the moment.   The one main thing that has been coming to my mind, that I hope it gets addressed... the bag space that tends to be... not enough!

I like to go explore, kill mobs, gather, collect whatever I can and not have to worry about having to travel to town so often it takes away from enjoying the game play, when I have time to play the game.  Yes, hoarder at times, but I like to craft and have enough materials for myself, and guildmates also friends that may need them, maybe sell some when I do have a surplus.

Not sure if it was talked about before, or just touched upon a little bit, if so, I missed it.
Hope there will be spots designated for mounts/pets that don't take up bag spaces.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! A way to stack items would also make things helpful too.... :D

Comments

• Options
     :s "bag space" The one thing in tons of games that become a burden... I hope IS will ensure this doesn't become a hurdle for players.
  • Options
    Bag space was addressed in one of the video Q&As. There will be different size backpacks for different kinds of inventory. For example if you are primarily a gatherer there will be higher capacity backpacks for those activities. Inventory will have weight, and certain mount types will have inventory storage. ie. the mule.
  • Options
    I really enjoy how WoW does bags. I wish that they just allow more slots than the five or six that WoW limits you too. I also think bag space wont be as bad in this game. I feel like this world will be more scarce less supplies and drops. 
  • Options
    Fwuppers said:
    I really enjoy how WoW does bags. I wish that they just allow more slots than the five or six that WoW limits you too. I also think bag space wont be as bad in this game. I feel like this world will be more scarce less supplies and drops. 

At the risk of splitting hairs, I disagree with less drops.  I understand it is too early and that we know very little about the world, but less drops suggests to me caravans may take months to launch if it will take so long to gather enough resources to fill one.  Yes, I am only speculating and I am not suggesting the opposite of excessive amounts, otherwise that undermines the game economy.

I hope my attempt at a point makes sense...
  • Options
    Inventory is probably the one thing I don't want realistic or in the realm of reality. I am a collector and a crafter so I tend to hold on to everything. I really liked GW2 system where they have slot based backpack system, crafting material storage that can be deposited into from anywhere, an account wide bank, and (new to me) a shared bag-slot(s) inventory between characters.

The extreme wrong way to do it is ESO's style. They charge you an exorbitant amount to increase your inventory and bank by small amounts. There is also the horse but that is a time sink.
  • Options
    Expect bag space to be relatively limited.
    Pack animals will be used to move the goods that a single person can't carry.
    Caravans will be used to move the goods that pack animals can't carry.
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    Inventory is probably the one thing I don't want realistic or in the realm of reality. I am a collector and a crafter so I tend to hold on to everything. I really liked GW2 system where they have slot based backpack system, crafting material storage that can be deposited into from anywhere, an account wide bank, and (new to me) a shared bag-slot(s) inventory between characters.

The extreme wrong way to do it is ESO's style. They charge you an exorbitant amount to increase your inventory and bank by small amounts. There is also the horse but that is a time sink.
    Or the BDO version, drop 30$ on inventory and weight slots that are character locked not account locked.  Ya... no thanks
  • Options
    As @UnknownSystemError said, bag space was discussed in a previous Q&A, and like @Dygz says, it will be limited.  I do not have a problem with a bit of reality when it comes to inventory management.  I completely understand the annoyances of having to run back and forth between harvesting points and your personal storage/banks.  I have seen in another game, the implementation of having specific bag types for specific uses.  Such as a bag for gathering and harvesting.  Depending on the type of bag used, would determine the space available.  I can sort of see how it could possibly be helpful when taking into account PvP.  From what I understand, and I may need to review the past streams and interviews, but, players killed in PvP have a chance of dropping some gathered materials.  As far as how much, I'm not sure, but I am confident it is not all the mats in your pack.
  • Options
    yikes, that is rough @Dissodant
  • Options
    kirasenou said:
    As @UnknownSystemError said, bag space was discussed in a previous Q&A, and like @Dygz says, it will be limited.  I do not have a problem with a bit of reality when it comes to inventory management.  I completely understand the annoyances of having to run back and forth between harvesting points and your personal storage/banks.  I have seen in another game, the implementation of having specific bag types for specific uses.  Such as a bag for gathering and harvesting.  Depending on the type of bag used, would determine the space available.  I can sort of see how it could possibly be helpful when taking into account PvP.  From what I understand, and I may need to review the past streams and interviews, but, players killed in PvP have a chance of dropping some gathered materials.  As far as how much, I'm not sure, but I am confident it is not all the mats in your pack.
    I know this is how they've said they wanna handle it, but I still find myself saying "Uhhhh, not so sure about this ..."

My reason for that is that if you are an explorer at heart, and you wander for a while, you're going to wander away from your banking area. Since nodes are individual, if you wander and explore into a different node, you're not (as I currently understand it) going to have access to your bank. So ... does that mean wanderers/explorers will be tethered by their bag space? Or does it mean that we should not plan on collecting stuff as we wander/explore?
  • Options
    Inventory space should be not so limited that you can't carry your loot home or have to spend more time running to your bank than gathering stuff. But it should be limited enough to make people have to organise their bags.
    I like the idea of bagslots for different bags. Would you rather have more space for ores and gems or would you rather carry around more weapons? You'd have to think about your priorities.
  • Options
    A nice big bag is great but most of the games I have played you also get over burdened with weight and eventually you cant move. I have no idea if ashes of creation will have this though. I am sure they will though
  • Options
    As stated before, they have talked about it in Q&A's and, well,  I am actually happy with that. I feel like it'd be kinda nice to be constantly accompanied by your pack animal(s) and/r cart, adds a nice touch to dedicated gathering. Maybe we can train our pack animals to alert us if someone is sneaking around nearby or something like that.
  • Options
    I'm a packrat, but I think I tend not to gather stuff when I'm exploring.
    For me those are separate objectives.

Typically, the first thing I do when I level is uncover the fog of war as much as possible.
    Once that's done, I'll decide whether I want to harvest, hunt or quest.

I'll be interested to see if, in Ashes, there are other objectives/challenges to do while out exploring, like purging curses or disarming traps.
    Hopefully, there won't be too many tantalizing treasure chests beckoning me to loot them. :p
  • Options
    I've found myself several times while out gathering that I suddenly collect a high quality resource (just 1) and my bag is full of stacks of more common items. To me I like that you have to make decisions on what holds more value.

The issue I have with weight AND bag space is what occurs in BDO. Monsters drop items, and you turn several (sometimes thousands) in for money. An area usually has groups that drop 4-5 different items, and bags (or weight) get full, way too fast.

I'm also hoping that we can make saddles to increase carrying capacity and weight. Or perhaps it could be a trait we could breed for. Maybe even both, we still don't know much about husbandry.

I think there will be a lot of options to help increase how much you can carry, but it will be a trade off  (like specific bags only holding one type of resource or a mount moving much slower/unable to use skills). Ultimately you have to know what your objective is and your preferred play style.
  • Options
    Inventory management usually becomes an unpleasant mini-game with in the game. I hope that is not the case with AOC. I tend to be a bit of a hoarder--so I need lots of storage:)
  • Options
    I like the responses!  keep them going please.   I now remember one of the streams they did mention as UnknownSystemError said:
    Bag space was addressed in one of the video Q&As. There will be different size backpacks for different kinds of inventory. For example if you are primarily a gatherer there will be higher capacity backpacks for those activities. Inventory will have weight, and certain mount types will have inventory storage. ie. the mule.
    I hope they still have more than ample enough bag space and storage space somewhere we can put our stuff, like in our homes or apartments so those of us that are hoarders, or big time crafters can really go out and gather enough mats or buy a bunch or maybe be given by guildmates/friends to be the main crafter for the guild without having to bug someone all the time for more mats etc.

I am sure there won't be a bottomless pit of a bag, so traveling back and forth to a vendor, or back home to empty out the goodies collected.  I just really don't enjoy playing the bag space game,  I don't mind investing in them, just not all that often or for cash shop prices, kinda P2W if someone can gather more than someone else since they can spend more time gathering while the one has to travel back and forth so many more times.

I'm sure all of this will be revealed "soon™"  lol..... It is just something that does make my mind think, and have me hope they do the right thing here.  I am positive they will. From what they have been doing with what i've seen... yeah.... :D
  • Options
    Well, that's really what caravans are for.   ;)
  • Options
    but caravans are for large shipments from town to town.... not sure many people will want to run to town... just to send a few items, most probably would rather stock up on items, and then ship off the items to the town they want.  

or send off maybe a few caravans? if that is possible? less likely to lose all items if it is raided maybe?    I did like how in BDO you got to load up a coach, with certain amount of items/weight but you had to drive it to the destination, but it had the afk destination waypoint system which was nice.  Ashes don't have that.  Still early, and need LOTS more information :D
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I'm a packrat, but I think I tend not to gather stuff when I'm exploring.
    For me those are separate objectives.

Typically, the first thing I do when I level is uncover the fog of war as much as possible.
    Once that's done, I'll decide whether I want to harvest, hunt or quest.

I'll be interested to see if, in Ashes, there are other objectives/challenges to do while out exploring, like purging curses or disarming traps.
    Hopefully, there won't be too many tantalizing treasure chests beckoning me to loot them. :p
    Lol, I can't not gather while I'm exploring. "Oh, plants! Oh, ore! Oh, this and that and ... SQUIRREL!"

For me, same, it's part and parcel *coughs & grins*
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Lol, I can't not gather while I'm exploring. "Oh, plants! Oh, ore! Oh, this and that and ... SQUIRREL!"

For me, same, it's part and parcel *coughs & grins*
    I laughed at the SQUIRREL part, and then smiled at the coughs part.... thanks!
    Yes, when out exploring I do like to grab what I can... never know what I may need or what will be worth something later, or what someone may need.  lol.. Squirrel! lol....
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Pretty sure the devs have mentioned caravans running from mines to town.
    It's not just town to town.

Caravans are for large shipments of goods over land.
    Typically that will be to a town/city.
    Frequently it will also be from a town/city.

Sometimes it will be shipping large amounts of raw resources from where ever you've gathered them back to town.
    That won't be uncommon.
  • Options
    If they do it by weight rather than by slots that is already easier to manage.

Especially if materials have a separate weight class.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Sometimes it will be shipping large amounts of raw resources from where ever you've gathered them back to town.
    That won't be uncommon.
    Yyyyeeeaaaahhhhhh ... but that doesn't let me gather more stuffs while I'm out 'splorin!
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Dygz said:

That won't be uncommon.
    Yyyyeeeaaaahhhhhh ... but that doesn't let me gather more stuffs while I'm out 'splorin!
    Are you out explorin' or out gatherin' ! :)  There is a difference! Or, I hope there will be.

If you are out exploring and simply want to gather what you see, then it stands to reason you will be less able to carry things than someone who has outfitted themselves and embarked on an actual gathering trip.

I don't want to see those magical "collect them all!" bottomless bags of crap... I haven't seen any indication that this game will have them -- in fact it's the opposite, with weight encumbrance. 

Not sure why players feel this will be a thing.
  • Options
    Lethality said:
    Isende said:
    Dygz said:

That won't be uncommon.
    Are you out explorin' or out gatherin' ! :)  There is a difference! Or, I hope there will be.

If you are out exploring and simply want to gather what you see, then it stands to reason you will be less able to carry things than someone who has outfitted themselves and embarked on an actual gathering trip.

I don't want to see those magical "collect them all!" bottomless bags of crap... I haven't seen any indication that this game will have them -- in fact it's the opposite, with weight encumbrance. 

As I posted above, exploring/gathering happen concurrently for me. I do both together. I'd like to not be tethered; I don't want bottomless bags, but I also don't want to have to stop walking/exploring after 20 minutes because I'm too far away from my bank access.

Now, mini-mailboxes/post boxes along the way, with the ability to mail stuff back? I'd love to see that, but I wouldn't expect to see that in unexplored territory.

Pretty sure I'm not the only person who explores in this way, so I can say that we'd probably really appreciate not bein' tethered :smiley:
  • Options
    I really do like what @Isende is saying, about not being "tethered" to the bag, having the freedom to have time to do some exploring, gathering, fighting if needing, and not having to feel like running back and forth to emptying bags out.... it would feel a bit redundant.  I am sure many would rather want to enjoy the game.  :D
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Lethality said:
    Isende said:
    Dygz said:

That won't be uncommon.

As I posted above, exploring/gathering happen concurrently for me. I do both together. I'd like to not be tethered; I don't want bottomless bags, but I also don't want to have to stop walking/exploring after 20 minutes because I'm too far away from my bank access.

Now, mini-mailboxes/post boxes along the way, with the ability to mail stuff back? I'd love to see that, but I wouldn't expect to see that in unexplored territory.

Pretty sure I'm not the only person who explores in this way, so I can say that we'd probably really appreciate not bein' tethered :smiley:
    Very much agree.  Since you would be out in the wild, maybe they could have a system of magical couriers "portable mail boxes/bank vaults".  Maybe some sort of magical limited use item that crafters could make, that would summon a magical courier beast that would allow you to unload your inventory into it's packs.  Then it scurries off while you continue on, and when you get back to the city all of your loot would be safely waiting for you in your bank/mailbox.
  • Options
    I don't think mail is going to be as easy as we're used to.

It's going to be really interesting to see what exploring is like in Ashes.
    Will it be more like an expedition? With someone guarding our pack mules at an encampment while we're off exploring the local region?
    Will expeditions include group mounts?

This will be part of the "fun" of alpha.   :p