Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gathering Question

In addition to splitting wigs with an ax or sword I also enjoy gathering, like fishing, botany, and mining. From my understanding of the profession system in AoC you will have 3 points to put toward either, gathering, refining, and production. A gathering profession will cost 1 point. A refining profession will cost 2 points. A production profession will cost 3 points.

Since I like to gather, I wonder how viable taking 3 gathering professions will be money wise, instead of taking say, one gathering and one refining profession. If you can just take one gathering profession and on refining profession you can just sell direct to the production person. I wonder how much of a demand raw materials will have in AoC?

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    Since gear is degrading, the answear should be alot. At the same time most people will probably be gatherers so the supply will likewise be high too.
  • Options
    Egolego said:
    Since gear is degrading, the answear should be alot. At the same time most people will probably be gatherers so the supply will likewise be high too.
    True. Hmmm I also like cooking and alchemy. 
  • Options
    It's probably going to be a semi-simplistic gathering system. Equip compatible gathering tool (axe, pickaxe etc.) and left click.  We know that resources will shift and be depleted. I believe the example that has been used was a mithril vein. If found it could be harvested and eventually depleted. The mined ore could be sold off to a town far away with no mithril vein in the area, thus creating demand. 

Given that the world is dynamic, you will probably have to move a lot to find the best minerals and constantly stay up to date on areas of interest. I believe this adds more realism to the game. 

As for the actual equipping of tools, I hope that they make it simple. For example in stead of having 8 axes in your bag, ready to switch on depletion, have a tool-belt that doesn't take up inventory space (or just one inventory slot). From there add the option to upgrade the tools to higher tier. The tools would need some sort of durability to increase demand for tools (if the developers wishes to go that route). You could for example take 6 axes and combine them into 1 axe with the durability of 6 axes of that tier. It would lessen the need for constantly filling your inventory with tools should you happen to come across a good spot during your adventures. It also keeps demand for tools high to profit crafters. 

We know that there will be weight limit. This makes gathering a bit harder, as you will need to constantly deposit your materials due to weight. Hopefully this won't feel to forced, where you only gather for a short time before going back to town. I think 2 or 3 hours before you have to bank the items would be just fine. It's not extremely short, but it's not that long either. It would be a pain to mine for 30 minutes then walk a long distance just to bank.

If previous MMOs are a point of reference, I'd suggest that 3 professions would be a hell of a gold sink but you'd profit in the long run. It all depends how you prioritize your development. Some will want alts to craft etc but I'm sure it will be expensive. 

We simply don't know enough as of yet, but it will be interesting to see how revolutionary (if at all) crafting will be. Whilst I do believe the genre has regressed generally in the last 10 years, I do believe some of the newer MMOs have good crafting systems. 

Time will tell. :)
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    It's probably going to be a semi-simplistic gathering system. Equip compatible gathering tool (axe, pickaxe etc.) and left click.  We know that resources will shift and be depleted. I believe the example that has been used was a mithril vein. If found it could be harvested and eventually depleted. The mined ore could be sold off to a town far away with no mithril vein in the area, thus creating demand. 

Given that the world is dynamic, you will probably have to move a lot to find the best minerals and constantly stay up to date on areas of interest. I believe this adds more realism to the game. 

As for the actual equipping of tools, I hope that they make it simple. For example in stead of having 8 axes in your bag, ready to switch on depletion, have a tool-belt that doesn't take up inventory space (or just one inventory slot). From there add the option to upgrade the tools to higher tier. The tools would need some sort of durability to increase demand for tools (if the developers wishes to go that route). You could for example take 6 axes and combine them into 1 axe with the durability of 6 axes of that tier. It would lessen the need for constantly filling your inventory with tools should you happen to come across a good spot during your adventures. It also keeps demand for tools high to profit crafters. 

We know that there will be weight limit. This makes gathering a bit harder, as you will need to constantly deposit your materials due to weight. Hopefully this won't feel to forced, where you only gather for a short time before going back to town. I think 2 or 3 hours before you have to bank the items would be just fine. It's not extremely short, but it's not that long either. It would be a pain to mine for 30 minutes then walk a long distance just to bank.

If previous MMOs are a point of reference, I'd suggest that 3 professions would be a hell of a gold sink but you'd profit in the long run. It all depends how you prioritize your development. Some will want alts to craft etc but I'm sure it will be expensive. 

We simply don't know enough as of yet, but it will be interesting to see how revolutionary (if at all) crafting will be. Whilst I do believe the genre has regressed generally in the last 10 years, I do believe some of the newer MMOs have good crafting systems. 

Time will tell. :)
    Very good points! I do like the idea of not having to carry around a bunch of tools and I do worry about the carry limit. If you have to bring a pack mule around with you to do any real gathering I'm sure that will make you a prime target for bandits.

I can see 3 gathering professions being a big time and money sink. I had considered leveling one at a time or possible committing to one gathering profession and one refining, but I don't know yet. I wouldn't mind a gathering system like Final Fantasy XIV where you have abilities you can use to increase chances for High Quality items or doubling your gathering yield. If you make HQ items tough to get they'll sell for sure.

I'm also curious about fishing. I've always had fun fishing and selling or cooking my catch when I want to take a break from fighting. I wonder what kind of demand they'll be for fish. So many questions that probably won't be answered until I'm actually playing the game.
  • Options
    I'm also not sure on the rules for sending items and gold to alts. So you level gathering professions and make some money. Then yous send supplies and gold over to an alt who is leveling a production craft. Since they are trying to make, gathering, refining, and production meaningful I would think they'd have mechanics to block that.
  • Options
    Since weight will be a big issue in crafting, I assume that crafted armor pieces will weigh quite a bit, to limit their transport. 

If armor weighs a lot, perhaps it isn't practical to carry an alternate gear set as many people like to do. Just an observation.

Any thoughts?