Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Marriage (Ashes waifu?)

How do you want marriage to be handled in AOC? should there be some skills/buffs for when you are near your spouse? Need a priest players to wed the two? or should it all be RP based where you just pretend they are married?

I, personally, would like to seem some system to marriage. I haven't quite made up my mind about any reward for being near your spouse (new emotes or extra stats) but I way for the game to recognize you as married. 
    Perhaps wedding rings that if both of the pair wares at the same time they get an extra buff depending on how it was crafted.
   Or will that just cause people to marry to get the most stats they possibly can?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I've never really been interested in marriages in game but we know so far that race/gender won't be a restricting factor which is great.

I wouldn't want to encourage people into marriage just for stat buffs etc so I personally think fun emotes/interaction should be all that's offered.

e.g
    Mr and Mrs titles (e.g Diura's Husband, XXXX's Wife)
    Wedding outfit
    Wedding rings ( maybe you can edit the description box with a personal message?)
    Unlockable interactions by doing quests/activities together etc (hug, kiss, dance etc)
    I would love a special icon to see my spouse nearby on a map
    A special notification when they log on/off
    Couple Mount maybe :0

If there were to be skills I'd like

Ressurect your Spouse

IF we were to go down that stat road I'd prefer something that encourages you to play with your partner so

Support your partner with a small HoT which lasts a short while with a long cooldown
    or like a short teleport to your partner or a wee shield/defence thing - small skills that means you need to be with your partner to use and have a long cooldown. More a "oh noooo my love is dying let me try save 'em!" Kinda skills xD

• Options
    Diura said:
    I've never really been interested in marriages in game but we know so far that race/gender won't be a restricting factor which is great.

I wouldn't want to encourage people into marriage just for stat buffs etc so I personally think fun emotes/interaction should be all that's offered.

e.g
    Mr and Mrs titles (e.g Diura's Husband, XXXX's Wife)
    Wedding outfit
    Wedding rings ( maybe you can edit the description box with a personal message?)
    Unlockable interactions by doing quests/activities together etc (hug, kiss, dance etc)
    I would love a special icon to see my spouse nearby on a map
    A special notification when they log on/off
    Couple Mount maybe :0

If there were to be skills I'd like

Ressurect your Spouse

IF we were to go down that stat road I'd prefer something that encourages you to play with your partner so

Support your partner with a small HoT which lasts a short while with a long cooldown
    or like a short teleport to your partner or a wee shield/defence thing - small skills that means you need to be with your partner to use and have a long cooldown. More a "oh noooo my love is dying let me try save 'em!" Kinda skills xD

Such a amazing Idea, I hope they will see this
  • Options
    You should get half when you divorce. 
  • Options
    I hope they do not give any stat buffs for marriage. I really do not want it to be a mandatory thing. 
  • Options
    They should buffs for single people, what the hell is wrong with being single?  è_è Can't we be rewarded for keeping our money safe being solo.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Waysm said:
    They should buffs for single people, what the hell is wrong with being single?  è_è Can't we be rewarded for keeping our money safe being solo.
    No, it's more fun when you play as two characters because you are single as F
    ;-;
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Love your ideas, @Diura

Since we know this will be in game, it is nice to have some ideas and speculation.  I can tell there are some painful memories being emoted on this thread; let's hope the virtual experience will not have the same drama and like @Sintu, nothing that makes people feel at a disadvantage if they are not married.
  • Options
    There should be a debuff when you are in an argument, and you should have to argue for awhile before you can dissolve a marriage.
  • Options
    For real though, the problem with marriage buffs, is that they need to be accessory, like REALLY optional. If it ever becomes something so advantageous that people literally can't think of doing anything without their partner because they won't be able to gain more "intimacy" thus more "buffs". No.
    I had enough of it in RO when people give me the "Sorry can't dungeon, waiting for my partner o/".
    :feelsbadman: ;-;
  • Options
    As someone who has been divorced, and married again, I am not really for any sort of buff, or advantage.  The concept of marriage is as varied as the people who choose it.  People I find these days assign too much material value to marriage in real life, and not enough personal investment.  The advantages to being married should not outweigh the disadvantages, i.e. being single.

If Intrepid was to do so, I would prefer they do not give buffs, as much as abilities.  Ones that, speaking for myself, exemplify at least a common hope, if not belief of marriage.  Such as the following:

Sacrifice - A member of a couple is able to transfer their health to their significant other.  It is a channeled ability, requiring line of sight.  This is a diminished return, as the one losing health does so at twice the rate the other receives.

Hyuri - If one member of the couple dies in a fight while in a party with the other, the survivor flies into a berserk rage, doubling all damage, and taking only half damage until all foes involved in the fight that killed their love are dead.  The survivor is incapable of receiving any healing while so possessed.

Lastly, I would rather this be a choice that matters.  Not a casual one as marriage these days often is.  Nor one made for the sake of meta benefits.  Though probably the majority would vehemently disagree, I would prefer it be account bound. I am sure the RP community especially would have issue with this.  I strongly believe this would make it a serious choice, and less like to be used as a meta gaming tactic.

Locke
  • Options
    I just hope for kissing and hugging emotes! ^^
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I would expect nothing less from a character named Valentines!   :)
  • Options
    As long as it has the basics, like when youre together you get exp buff, and extra stats. I hope they add a teleport system if marriage does come out. 
  • Options
    Kaiju said:
    As long as it has the basics, like when youre together you get exp buff, and extra stats. I hope they add a teleport system if marriage does come out. 
    I sure hope not.  I do not want marriage to be mandatory if it is in game. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I want there to be a thing where if you get married, you lose the crazy cat lady buff and cant have more than 2 cats. If you choose to stay single after like a year, the amount of pets you can have in your house/out and about increases exponentially. Also an emote to boop the snoots of people would be nice.
  • Options
    I fully intend to marry my sister wives @Karthos & @tugowar
  • Options
    Why not have divorce as well.
  • Options
    Egolego said:
    You should get half when you divorce. 
    half the kingdom xD split the metropolis node to two equally exped tier 3 nodes
  • Options
    Marriage should cost both partners equally, some determined gold value, so they can have a proper wedding sanctioned by a government official, ship captain, or priest of their nodes religion (there choice if multiple). I also think the players could have an open fund where friends/guilds/factions could donate. Although any gold not used for wedding should be returned, in proper portions, to all who donated (maybe have like three tiers of weddings w/ predetermined cost for each tier).

With this in game cost paid I would have no problem granting the players extra emoji packs, unique furniture pack, or an icon on a map interface that always shows where your partner is (not for snooping, for adventuring).

Divorce should cost an equal amount, but payable by only one of the partners or again a friend/guild/faction.

I don't think IRL drama should be represented in this thread. I do think marriage can be cheap to expensive. If the couple receives ANY bonus there needs to be an in game cost associated with it. Maybe equal to what others could get (although not as unique) at the game store?
  • Options
    Crimson tide or Tigers fan?
  • Options
    In game marriage should be a thing however any benefits need to have risk vs reward factor done in such a way that it doesn't make non-marriage a non-viable option
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    I realize this isn't the right context where I want to be answering this question, but I can't help myself!

GIG EM AGGIES!  WHOOP!

• Options
    tugowar said:
    Sintu said:
    I realize this isn't the right context where I want to be answering this question, but I can't help myself!

GIG EM AGGIES!  WHOOP!

Haha, Dawgs fan here actually. SEC!!!
  • Options
    Lol..
    The hell?
    No, you shouldn't get buffs or stats or any benefit from a marriage. The only thing you should be expecting to benefit from is having your partner. 

Having the other players name above your character. Maybe an alternate player squad symbol on the mini-map during PvP/PvE so it's easier to fight along side them, as a pair. 

90% of the female characters will be dudes anyway.. It's the internet law for Pedo Prevention - Male until proven female.
  • Options
    Real-life Marriages: 0

Online Marriages: 6

Marriage to Work: 1

I may be doing his wrong...
  • Options
    Waysm said:
    Maybe being married would put you in a lower tax bracket in nodes?  Married filing jointly is  better than single which is better than married filing separately, lol.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

And also a designated Valentine's Day of course! How about February 14th?
    (Maybe all those who bring their partner a present on Valentine's Day receive a special message from our own lovely Valentines, say? And 100 gold each from her account?) <3
  • Options
    Karthos said:

We both know that only our marriage counts... Let's be honest @Karthos
  • Options
    Karthos said:

You biatch!
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    Karthos said:

You biatch!
    That was in reference to the sisterhood, not just @Karthos and I specifically! Gawd @tugowar