Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sub- Model

I know I am probably the 100th guy to mention this, however doesn't it bother you that a game with such potential will be hidden behind the sub-based model, I personally don't have the money to pay 15 Euros a month maybe even 20 or 30 some games have to play a game, I know your answer will be then don't play, and that's the way most successful mmorpgs do it without being p2w however check out RuneScape's model, isn't it next to perfect? You can enjoy the game F2P but for the full thing youll have to subscribe without it being incomplete for f2p members, maybe even f2p Servers ( or channels? ) Am I being stupid? 

http://http//www.strawpoll.me/13666568  : Please vote id like to see people's opinion on this!

Comments

• Options
    It will not be hidden behind the sub-based model, it will shine as the brightest business model amongst all the f2p/p2w sh!t you will experience.

No point to vote, they strictly stated that the business model will not change.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have to disagree as well here. the subscription ensures the longevity of support and future development and expansion. The business model and justification for a sub is sound and highly warranted. those games with just a box price tend to fade quickly as the money runs out.
  • Options
    The only reason I backed this project was the sub model. Every.....other....single....game...out there that has gone f2p/p2win and they are all plagued by systemic problems. Want to deter gold sellers? Mandatory sub. Want to have people not do racist/nameyourphobic stuff? Mandatory sub. Want to remove the roving bands of fotm players who never contribute, but want to come on media and slam the game for not being what they want? Mandatory sub. It doesn't remove all the problems, but it goes a long way towards kicking them in the ass. The sub fee is going to be around 15 dollars a month, and while you may need to evaluate your personal spending, for me and many others that is the cost of lunch for a day.
  • Options
    I agree with @Belewyn and @UnknownSystemError has some good points.. as for cost the way I look at it is I don't go out to watch movies and so the money I'd spend on that is what I'd spend on an mmo. I give myself x amount for entertainment then I decided what I spend it on
  • Options
    I agree with most of what has being said here. Many MMORPG games with subscription models have lasted for many years: World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Eve Online, to name a few all started in the early 2000's.

Despite various flaws and notable exceptions, the longevity of subscription games can be partly attributed to the subscription model itself, which rewards studios for nurturing and growing their online communities. A happy and growing online community is exactly what a MMORPG needs to thrive.

Pay to win titles seem to have a much shorter lifespan because that model seems to be more oriented around short term profit taking.
  • Options
    Take for note that half the player base of runescape are bots and that runescape is now a p2w
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    I don't mind the sub cost and am glad they've gone for this model.

With a sub you can expect a certain level of quality and service which f2p games don't offer.

I'm just thinking of it being like a subscription to Netflix or Amazon Prime, both of which wouldn't be the same if it was just straight up free.