Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do solo players have legitimacy to complain about MMO being difficult for solo player

13»

Comments

• Options
    As an old MMO player, I find that this argument has been going on for as long as I have played. I don't understand the argument myself, why can't a game be both solo and group without one impeding the other.

I think if you remove BoP items and make them BoE instead, allowing the equipment to be sold at auction that would significantly reduce the complaints of solo players who cannot find the time to farm dungeons for hours, while allowing a nice profit to those that enjoy the crawl. Epic gear as a status symbol is absurd to me, it's a game.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Maquiame said:
    I'm tired of solo play and I'm tired of people and developers playing mmos like they are Skyrim. The game difficulty takes a hit and honestly there are plenty of mmos to choose from if you want a rich solo experience.

Every game does not have to be for every one. I'm tired of easy soloable overworlds.
    Exactly!
    If you are tired of soloable overworlds - don't play those games.
    Go play something you like to play.
    Or play a game when it first goes retail.  Most games water down everything as time goes on and they want new players to catch up.  I do solo often because I am playing at most any time of day even when the servers are slow.  I love the challenge.  What I don't like is when things are watered down because the companies who make the games decide to entice new people to slip on in and right on top.  

Most good games have something for everyone, even casual and solo players.  People who do play solo for the most part know what their abilities and limits are and aren't afraid of dying.   
  • Options
    Kesarakk said:

I don't mean to sound preachy, or go into Q_Q mode. I am simply stating facts. WoW is fun for the solo players and if it wasn't for players who still believe in raid progressions, there would be no need for guilds. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm hating on solo players, because they deserve to have just as much fun as the rest of us, but come on. You're playing an MMORPG not an MSORPG. Learn to socialize with others. You might even like one or two of the people you come across.
    I played WoW from beta. Solo, in a guild and raids.  Solo players do socialize.  Solo playing does not mean people hide from the masses.  Many people are comfortable enough to solo and don't always need someone else to hold their hands.   I do love guilds and grouping.  Don't put solo players down.  Everyone who plays solo plays at some point.  Dang I hear more PvP players complain the solo players.  Even here they complain now because they want to be treated differently.  Oh,  I do PvP also. Just stating facts.

Look up the definition of MMORGP.  It doesn't say players need to be dependent on group play.  It refers to INTEREACTING which is totally different.
  • Options
    I love being in a guild and I love grouping up with friends. 
    I hate PUGing. 
    Finding randoms who want to do the content at a similar pace is hard.  As such I think adventuring should be doable but challenging solo and group content should need, well a group. 
    If people only want to solo but be able to story mode through group content, well Ashes probably is not the game for them.  I very much doubt the marauding dragon unearthed by a node reaching max level is going to bend over and get it's bum kicked by a solo player........   RUN AWAY!
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Maquiame said:

Karthos said:
    People tend to forget what MM stands for in these games. They think they can log in and play like they do in Skyrim.

I feel there should be opportunities for solo play, but not at the expense of what makes this genre unique. I've never understood the mentality of people logging into a multi-player game and refusing to interact with other people.

It's like going to a Chinese Restaurant and ordering a hamburger. What's the point? Sure you can and should be able to do that, but there's other avenues more suited for your wants.

Not to mention demanding the Chinese Restaurant change it's menu to serve more burgers... Honestly, come on. I think this is just as entitled as people feeling solo play has no place in MMOs, if not more so.

100 percent agree with this.  I'm tired of solo play and I'm tired of people and developers playing mmos like they are Skyrim. The game difficulty takes a hit and honestly there are plenty of mmos to choose from if you want a rich solo experience.

Every game does not have to be for every one. I'm tired of easy soloable overworlds.

Ponders how 8 people doing the work of 8 could put in any more effort than 1 person putting in the work of 1. Everyone still has to put in 100% effort. Game difficulty takes a hit ? Disingenuous use of logic there I think.

You could say I want X people that have to sync in perfect harmony for every parsec of a fight. But then you would have to say X people. Anyone who hasn't got X players in their group isn't going to be the targeted and optimal group size.

So in that case, 8 man content is not suitable for 10,9,7,6,5,4,3,2 man groups not solo players and they should find games that are. ;)

• Options
    Honestly, I very rarely see complaints from solo-ers asking for content to be nerfed.  My observations have been like @CylverRayne said, is done by companies when the game has been out for a while trying to get new players in by promises of fast leveling.  And this fast leveling is usually requested by those who are at max level for their friends or alts.

A way many games have gone lately is a mechanic of Public Quests, PQs, in which any can participate be they in groups or solo.  I think we will see this mechanic in defense, sieges, and world epic mobs.
  • Options
    Do PvP or PvE people have a right to complain? Do casuals and hardcores have a right to complain?
    In general I would say yes, everyone can make reasonable input, but in the end a game always favors one side and it should stick to it. As long as the game never was intended for "your" side I don't really get why someone would complain.
    It's like a pure strategy player trying to change a jump n run game because it doesn't fit his/her needs.