Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do casual players have a chance?

I am really excited about the game you guys are making. But some stuff i have worrys about. Say a node progresses and triggers a world boss. Will that boss only spawn ones ? And what is ganna stop the hardcore guilds form taking every kill?  for the recources they drop.
Will more casual players also get a chance to kill it?
I know form experiances, players take the route of least resistance and people would sooner join a metropolis then attack it.(holl reason pay to win works. its easyer)  I sooner think people will move to ather type of metropolis then attack there current one to try and change it.
Also only a big hardcore guild could only do the attack.
 While the hardcore guild running the city and the casual guild that have houses will all defend. Will the atteckers even have a chance? Will there be something for smaller casual guild aswell to have a inpact? like pillaging the city to weaken it. or even be engouth of a plague that the node will downgrade without needing to seige.

sorry for the bad english:)

Comments

• The shear expanse of the AoC world and the anticipated difficulty of performing content without numbers coupled with the commerce and crafting elements we hope to see will provide content to any type of gamer I should think =)
  • Belewyn said:
    The shear expanse of the AoC world and the anticipated difficulty of performing content without numbers coupled with the commerce and crafting elements we hope to see will provide content to any type of gamer I should think =)
    this doesnt anser my question. this just say there is ather contant to do. 
    I wanna know if i can even attempt contant without being part of a hardcore guild.
    if only 1 world boss spawns only few people will get to kill it.
    whill ather guilds dont even get the chance to try.
  • I think the horizontal progression system in Ashes will work well for casual players. If you don't have the time to invest in leveling and gearing, you could always focus on your artisan progression, node quests, religion etc, which you can progress without needing to be in large organized groups.
  • lexmax said:
    I think the horizontal progression system in Ashes will work well for casual players. If you don't have the time to invest in leveling and gearing, you could always focus on your artisan progression, node quests, religion etc, which you can progress without needing to be in large organized groups.
    Its not about having time, but every mmo hase it top guilds and the ones that do worldfirsts that farm like crazy and the majority of the players are not going to be part of that.
    So how will everybody else be able to do and enjoy the event that is triggered, when does guilds already cleared it.
  • weasel said:
    lexmax said:
    I think the horizontal progression system in Ashes will work well for casual players. If you don't have the time to invest in leveling and gearing, you could always focus on your artisan progression, node quests, religion etc, which you can progress without needing to be in large organized groups.
    Its not about having time, but every mmo hase it top guilds and the ones that do worldfirsts that farm like crazy and the majority of the players are not going to be part of that.
    So how will everybody else be able to do and enjoy the event that is triggered, when does guilds already cleared it.
    Those events are open world, which mean anyone can join in the fight, whether you are in a top guild or a low level player. Open world is how casual players can participate because open world encounters aren't gated by gear or level.
  • lexmax said:
    weasel said:
    lexmax said:
    Those events are open world, which mean anyone can join in the fight, whether you are in a top guild or a low level player. Open world is how casual players can participate because open world encounters aren't gated by gear or level.
    but that world boss form the event. will everybody who fights it get credit for the kill and able to loot something. i dont mean just gear also recrouce or ather random stuff.
    or just the group that tagged the boss first.
  • The truth is that we don't know the looting system as of yet but I'm sure that any participants will have some form of reward. 
    Event bosses ofc will be challenging and won't be solo friendly but the entire point is that Ashes is a MMO  bringing back the community spirit and thus having challenging bosses will allow the community to come together to defend something they love - like you say many (especially solo players flocking to metro cities) - if you want to make sure it's successfully defended you need to participate.
    A reward in itself will be that together - you've all defend your node irregardless if you are part of a big guild, small guild , alliance or a solo player :)
  • weasel said:
    lexmax said:
    weasel said:
    lexmax said:
    but that world boss form the event. will everybody who fights it get credit for the kill and able to loot something. i dont mean just gear also recrouce or ather random stuff.
    or just the group that tagged the boss first.
    Boss tagging rules have not been announced yet. First tagging systems can be abused and are counter to encouraging open participation, so I doubt Intrepid will go with such a system for world bosses.
  • weasel said:
     I am really excited about the game you guys are making. But some stuff i have worrys about. Say a node progresses and triggers a world boss. Will that boss only spawn ones ? And what is ganna stop the hardcore guilds form taking every kill?  for the recources they drop.
    Will more casual players also get a chance to kill it?
    I know form experiances, players take the route of least resistance and people would sooner join a metropolis then attack it.(holl reason pay to win works. its easyer)  I sooner think people will move to ather type of metropolis then attack there current one to try and change it.
    Also only a big hardcore guild could only do the attack.
     While the hardcore guild running the city and the casual guild that have houses will all defend. Will the atteckers even have a chance? Will there be something for smaller casual guild aswell to have a inpact? like pillaging the city to weaken it. or even be engouth of a plague that the node will downgrade without needing to seige.

sorry for the bad english:)
    To address the concern.. the game certainly seems  geared towards group efforts and designed in a way where what you get out will be correlated to what you put in.

will there be 1 time world events that you could miss out on ? Probably.

will you have to be part of a hardcore guild to participate? Probably not.

will a casual player with a casual guild or no guild at all be the deciding factor in slaying a world boss? Doubtful.

but I am sure the game will have a lot of other things to offer a more casual player.
  • If all else fails join us RPers, we dont give a damn!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Will there be things for a casual player can to have fun doing? I have no doubt, The open world and crafting system alone would be hours of entertainment. Now, if your asking, will a casual player stand a chance against someone in pvp who's a hardcore player? Or will you be able to attain the same gear as someone who is devoted to raiding? That I find more doubtful.
  • There will always be room for a casual player when it's not 100% guild based. But if you really want a clear answer for that you need to wait until there are more information about the game. Remember and remember, it's a early state of the game, we do not know everything. We can only guess us to it. Of course you will get credit for a world boss, if you are there and fighting it. If all couldn't take part in it, then the boss wouldn't be called a world boss :smiley:

• Casual players will have a chance.

Uninvolved or Antisocial Players likely will not.

I do not know how fast the world will churn or how quickly power is gained or lost, but making contacts, friends, or just plain making sure you are one connected person among many will be of great import in the world. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    One thing to remember is that there are a lot of nodes and no fast travel. Wth a lack of fast travel, groups will have to be more localized and wont be able to easily travel across the map for an event. Smaller/casual guilds might be encouraged to move away from larger guilds and do there own node events. On the flip side of this, larger guilds might be encouraged to include there fellow node citizens so they don't leave.
  • Casual players most likely will be sought out for defense and offence.  Also the game encourages casual and solo players such as in joining caravans both in offense and defense. Casual players can also join dungeon groups and work parties.  This game is about community involvement.
  • I think casuals will find their place in the world. I consider myself casual, though I do play almost everyday in whatever game I play. Will I end up governing a node, and have everyone on the server know me? No way. Not active enough for that. But that's okay - I feel Intrepid will make a balanced game and have a place for casuals. To be fair, there isn't much information out about the game if you think about it. We'll have to wait and see. But like Cylver said, we do know about caravans (Where everyone will be encouraged to join, including casuals), dungeons, raids, crafting.
  • Hi All,  The key is to have a system set up to include everyone that logs on to participate in a world boss kill.   Now that doesn't mean that you will actually be in the group that employs the killing blow, but there could be a pop-up that allows you to select from a 'World Fate' list showing environmental factors that would/could affect the world boss negatively.  (ICE, WIND, LIGHTENING, MUD...etc)   Of course these things could affect both sides :)  the world boss could get stuck in mud, and the defenders of the world could have difficulty getting to the boss.