Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How much we know about summoners?

I think its interesting to see how summoner will eventually work out. Are we talking about one more pure dps class or does summoner have some variations. Different kind of summoned creatures and secondary classes opens possibility to summoners fill different kind of roles. I would personally love to play summoner as a debuffer/distractor with assists of darker summonings. 

What we really know about this class? What kind of roles you see summoner could fill? What summoner looks for you? :-)

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Well, most summoners have DOTting or enchants as part of their setup, to set them apart from the raw damage dealers.  Support oriented summoners are also a thing.  I would like to see if the summon could used as a tank.

Or maybe have the summoner not summon pets so much as buff areas, like totems.
  • I've no clue. But it could be something awesome that could fill every role. Summon a angelic creature to heal or a big beast to tank. Either way, im keen to see.
  • There's not an abundance of information about summoners really available yet, but I've found that aocwiki.net is the best source for very up to date info about the game, you can check out what they have on the class at http://aocwiki.net/Summoner and they give the references where you can go and check out the exact points where this info was mentioned or obtained from the live streams or whatever the case may be.
  • Would be cool to see a summoner who could summon actual weapons, then, use those weapons in battle. If they were able to change during the fight depending on who, or what, they were fighting it would be a force to be reckoned with.
    I also assume we will have the generic summon this animal and it will have these attacks and provide these bonuses etc. :)
  • They hang out in parks at night. And listen to The Cure on a loop.
    Image result for guy in the park at night meme
  • @UnknownSystemError Big fans of Linkin Park and Evanescence 
  • I have also red that wiki and it does not tell much at this point. Even we dont know much of assassin, bard or fighter either, we still know what to expect. Summoner has much more possibilities how it will be implemented. 

If summomer could fill every role it would be maybe too good option when compared to other classes. But acting through the creature it surely gives lots of possibilities. Maybe that creature could work as an off-tank rather than as primary one. So maybe it could fill more off-roles so it wont take place from primary classes in parties.

Also its interesting see how the secondary classes will effect to summons. Just some change for skills or does the whole creature or it appearance change too.
  • perhaps the off class determines the stats of the summon (I know they are racially aligned, and steven said they summon totems..), but a summoner/tank could summon a "more tanky" summon, and a summoner/cleric would summon a healing summon. If it is completely totem based, then the summoner is really a WoW shaman... buffer/debuffer/CC and maybe some DOTs and HOTs, with mid defense and mid offense.  Instead of an EQ summoner type...
    edited August 2017
    Totems you say.. it refers to towards shamans then. But what those totems do..? Or does the totems represent the summoned creatures? I hope it has nothing to do with WoW shaman/totem system. It was bad imo.. *thinking*
    edited August 2017
    Well i saw in one video where Steven said that these summons can be customized by player and the appearance depends also of your race and secondary archtype. He gave example of Summoner/Assassin which will make the summon more shadow type. So with this same logic we could see more angelic summon from cleric augment or maybe summoner/ranger will be more like shaman with spirit or nature creature summons.
  • What if the summoner can itself become a summoned creature?=)

• SFinist said:
    What if the summoner can itself become a summoned creature?=)

I think summoner would be then called more like shapeshifter, possessed or something like that. ;-)
    I guess this is not devs idea of summoner even it would be cool though.

But maybe the ultimate ability could be something like that.. who knows. :-)
  • I hope the Summoner will have separate combat skills, in addition to summoning, at least the Route / Dot.
  • In one Q&A video devs told that the summoned creature will most likely have own hotbar for abilities and can be somehow controlled by the summoner. I wonder if this is kind of similar system than in WoW for example, demonology warlock or hunter with their pets?

• i like to imagine that, for example in a siege battle, a whole group of summoners stands in the back being protected by tanks and summoning giant creatures. The summoners themselves wouldn't be able to move though, because that summon would require an immense amount of concentration. Thus, the tank guards are there to protect them (but the summoners can control the summoned creature and its moves!). In one livestream the devs said that summoners could summon greater creatures together (i think). I understand that not being able to move during a big summon leaves the summoner incredibly vulnerable... but i really like this idea somehow. And they can probably move normally with smaller summoned creatures~

just an idea though
  • @NewADance yes devs have mentioned possibility where group of summoners are summoning siege creature to help with fight and maybe one of the summoners have change to control it. Sounds interesting, but maybe defenders could do something similar and not just the attackers?
    edited August 2017
    @Ferryman ( referring to your initial post )

When the Archetypes were first introduced, the Summoner & Bard made me wonder the most about what types of Gameplay we could see in their Combinations.

Before i made my Thread about Summoners, I honestly never played Summoners on MMOs before. So i'm hoping for a lot
  • Eragale said:
    @Ferryman ( referring to your initial post )

When the Archetypes were first introduced, the Summoner & Bard made me wonder the most about what types of Gameplay we could see in their Combinations.

Before i made my Thread about Summoners, I honestly never played Summoners on MMOs before. So i'm hoping for a lot
    Yeah i am courious too see how those two classes will he implemented. Others are so obvious. Well i am actually interested to read your post related to summomers if you can link it here. ;)

Well i have not played much either, little bit WoW warlock several years ago, but not in other games. I never liked that summoned creature pet with own extra hotbar, maybe because i want just to focus to do things with my character. It feels more impactful. 
    edited August 2017
    @Ferryman In the thead i linked, none of it is True.

Rather, individual ideas expressed. The few post refers to my first idea, but it's to just help start off the Thread tbh  :)

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33995/how-do-you-imagine-the-summoner/p1