Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Regional pricing and steam??

By any chance,  will we see regional pricing and game on steam ?

Regional Pricing - I really like this game, at least from what I heard it seems promising,  and even tho $15 is not steep for monthly sub at least not for me, but when u can buy any AAA for 15- 25 after steam regional pricing, yep without discount, I can't really justify paying this much for monthly subs alone; I hope Dev rather opt for regional pricing .
Final Fantasy 14 a realm reborn, initial purchase with 30 days gameplay is available for $10 in India .......... I wonder what dev think about it ??

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    My honest opinion.

If you can't afford a $15 monthly sub you may have other priorities than MMOs in your life.

That being said, you can mitigate the cost a bit or fully with the referral system. Have friends? Get credit for them signing up with your referral link.

I hope we don't see regional pricing because that always seems to bring in the bots and gold spammers. I noticed this in FF14 immediately.
  • As Karthos stated, there are means to reduced your out of pocket cost via the referral links.
  • Karthos said:
    My honest opinion.

If you can't afford a $15 monthly sub you may have other priorities than MMOs in your life.

That being said, you can mitigate the cost a bit or fully with the referral system. Have friends? Get credit for them signing up with your referral link.

I hope we don't see regional pricing because that always seems to bring in the bots and gold spammers. I noticed this in FF14 immediately.
    As I said it does not mean a lot to me rather to most who don't live in first world countries; in south asia, you can get a lot for $15................ just cause your country has inflamed prices for most things, does not mean you should see things from the single fish lens and set someone's priorities ^^.  
    As for bots and gold spammers, I think you would find them regardless of the price.
  • Belewyn said:
    As Karthos stated, there are means to reduced your out of pocket cost via the referral links.
    I don't think I am talking about mitigating the cost but what to expect 
  • Again as Kathos mentioned there are ways to reduce out of pocket costs.   At one time subscription based games were the only way to play and people from all over the world played on the same servers.   No one got discounts but the equivalent in currency was paid by everyone.  

If anyone can't afford $15 month for entertainment then they certainly have other priorities in their life to consider.   People have cell phone service for each member in their family including children.  Now to me that is a waste of hard earned money but we pick and choose our priorities.   
  • Again as Kathos mentioned there are ways to reduce out of pocket costs.   At one time subscription based games were the only way to play and people from all over the world played on the same servers.   No one got discounts but the equivalent in currency was paid by everyone.  

If anyone can't afford $15 month for entertainment then they certainly have other priorities in their life to consider.   People have cell phone service for each member in their family including children.  Now to me that is a waste of hard earned money but we pick and choose our priorities.   
    well I can feel all indignant about fact that I need to pay twice for the PC hardware and same should be for all countries or may be reminiscent the past, and say internet above 10mb should cost above $1000 like in past or maybe how all cell phones should cost 10 times more like in past........ past is past and learn to move forward .

As for $15 and why most game companies opt for regional pricing.
    In India, China ,  you can eat in half decent restaurant for 3-4 days with that much money or buy a new AAA  game. It is about business and how to get new players while justifying the value they pay.

If you say that either you can pay $15 for one month sub or pay the same amount for any other AAA title as one time payment, except EA they don't seem to have regional pricing any longer, .............. well regardless of priorities, I am sure most know what has a higher value.

Not everything is black and white. What you can get for$15 is completely different from what I can get for that much money. 

At this point , I don't feel like justifying myself.
    By your logic, I should expect all countries to pay the same price for a product, in my country any pc hardware should cost twice or thrice the amount compared to the US ........ I can either feel indignant about it or move on as it is how it is ......

why most gaming published opt for regional pricing? it is business and that is the amount players from that region find justifiable or that is  utility of the game ........... it all depends on the value of money in a country.  
    As for the value of $15 , in China, India you can easily get 3-4 day of food in a decent restaurant or eat a full course once in luxurious restaurant .............. I don't know what value it holds in your country but I am inclined to belive it probably is a lot different.

When I can get AAA title for this much............ how can the same amount justify the cost one or two months' subscription ................

As I said, I don't see it hurting community but rather a way of increasing it and a business decision relating to value/utility for the money.
    edited August 2017
    Are you talking about converting the price to local currency or for discounted prices for regions simply because you are in that region?

I'm sure the price of the sub will be localized to equal $15 in your local currency. Like it will cost something like 8£ and 150000000¥ but will still be equivalent roughly to the economic burden other players have.

By comparison, a meal at a sit down non formal restaurant where I live is around $15.

4 gallons of gas us $15. 

$15 pays for a movie ticket where I'm from.

In relation, the sub should cost similar to you and what it costs for you to do these things. 

My point being, it's not much at all, no matter your income, to pay $15 per month (or whatever your equivalent is). If this is too much, then maybe you need a cheaper hobby than MMOs and video games. Because if they make it cheaper for one region, they have to for all. And they can't rely on crowdfunding forever.

And Intrepid is a business, not a charity.

Maybe a few years down the road the price will drop, but not at launch. FF14 was a desperate gamble by Square Enix because the first version if that game tanked so bad. They are really working to get players back. Ashes is new and stands in its own. It won't need gimmicks. 

• Karthos said:
    Are you talking about converting the price to local currency or for discounted prices for regions simply because you are in that region?

I'm sure the price of the sub will be localized to equal $15 in your local currency. Like it will cost something like 8£ and 150000000¥ but will still be equivalent roughly to the economic burden other players have.

By comparison, a meal at a sit down non formal restaurant where I live is around $15.

4 gallons of gas us $15. 

$15 pays for a movie ticket where I'm from.

In relation, the sub should cost similar to you and what it costs for you to do these things. 

My point being, it's not much at all, no matter your income, to pay $15 per month (or whatever your equivalent is). If this is too much, then maybe you need a cheaper hobby than MMOs and video games. Because if they make it cheaper for one region, they have to for all. And they can't rely on crowdfunding forever.

And Intrepid is a business, not a charity.

Maybe a few years down the road the price will drop, but not at launch. FF14 was a desperate gamble by Square Enix because the first version if that game tanked so bad. They are really working to get players back. Ashes is new and stands in its own. It won't need gimmicks. 

well as I said it is business and as most other publishers have regional prices ......... ashes of creation should have too. In all honesty, $15 is not much ,but when compared to rest of the stuff I can get for $15 ..... subscription just is not too enticing  ..... a movie ticket here costs around  $4-$7    ........ and most game usually go for half their price in here too....... 

• I think Karthos kind of hit on the right target here. I am sure they will consider an economic scale for equivalent value. 15$ US versus a comparable value in XYZ currency.
  • So since I live in one of the most expensive cost of living countries outside the US I should pay a scaled value more than $15? Welfare gaming is what has caused this glut of f2p/p2win shit titles that have flooded the market over the last 5 years. A $15 dollar sub is never just $15 dollars for me, after my bank uses the absolute worst daily currency conversion on my card that profits them the most on the exchange. Do I bitch and moan about it? No. It is the cost of doing business with countries outside of the one I live in. If you are living in some 3rd world nation and your monthly income is $300, then you probably should not be looking to play a dollar based sub game. Private companies have absolutely no social obligation to provide you with entertainment subject to your countries economic index. And thank god they have NO plans to release this game on Steam. "Steam-where grandiose ideas get 25 percent realized, monetized, and abandoned."
    edited August 2017
    So since I live in one of the most expensive cost of living countries outside the US I should pay a scaled value more than $15? Welfare gaming is what has caused this glut of f2p/p2win shit titles that have flooded the market over the last 5 years. A $15 dollar sub is never just $15 dollars for me, after my bank uses the absolute worst daily currency conversion on my card that profits them the most on the exchange. Do I bitch and moan about it? No. It is the cost of doing business with countries outside of the one I live in. If you are living in some 3rd world nation and your monthly income is $300, then you probably should not be looking to play a dollar based sub game. Private companies have absolutely no social obligation to provide you with entertainment subject to your countries economic index. And thank god they have NO plans to release this game on Steam. "Steam-where grandiose ideas get 25 percent realized, monetized, and abandoned."
    1)To be candid, I don't see any substantiation in what you say . Gaming is no charity and is a business for them and I am saying the same thing. 
    2)Either you ignore a population base or you get them by reducing the price for that region by half ........................... it does not take rocket science to know which is a better decision.

3)Welfare gaming ............... you sure are coming up with some things which do not exist......, regional pricing is the way of the capitalizing markets which have been ignored.

4)market conversion of currency is something everyone needs to deal with, unless you are paying via steam, if you feel bad about it then I am sure you won't like the idea of traveling abroad ..........

5)No one is bitching, it questions and I am more inclined to ignore your , comment as it is brimming with preposterous self-made facts........... 

6) pay2 win ........ free 2 play......... really you think regional pricing has caused that or welfare gaming which does not exist ............. It was a way of capitalizing markets; I don't know how you can even relate p2win, f2p with regional pricing and that to welfare gaming which does not exist.

7) If they release on steam, it would just gain more audience. Those who wanna buy it without steam can still buy it from website.............. 

if you wanna flame or troll ...... don't post. I would prefer facts to concoction.
    edited August 2017

Lets look at it from the other angle.

I charge $30 in country A because rich.

I charge $5 in Country B because poor.

Country B buys/sells 5$ product to country A for $30 and makes $25 instant profit on every sale. Less costs. Company has lost $25 on every sale which went in someone elses pocket.

I wish Ivory towers were everywhere in stead of just a few. I wish those Ivory towers were just as grand and unique in every country where $30 here got your $30 worth there. But this is a global economy where economic equality does not exist and the reality is otherwise. Isolated local economies would of course bypass this problem...except the smugglers.

• Lets look at it from the other angle.

Country B buys/sells 5$ product to country A for $30 and makes $25 instant profit on every sale. Less costs. Company has lost $25 on every sale which went in someone elses pocket.

I wish Ivory towers were everywhere in stead of just a few. I wish those Ivory towers were just as grand and unique in every country where $30 here got your $30 worth there. But this is a global economy where economic equality does not exist and the reality is otherwise. Isolated local economies would of course bypass this problem...except the smugglers.

Well said! 
  • Lets look at it from the other angle.

you do know that they will need to run vpn to play game if they purchase it from different region ??
    hmm $5 and $30 seems to be a bit too far fetched but most companies do sell it cheaper in the poorer company, why? cause they still make a profit out of that market. 
     Reselling products to a different region is illegal and in the case of steam or online products, they have a region lock.
  • sabesian said:

you do know that they will need to run vpn to play game if they purchase it from different region ??
    hmm $5 and $30 seems to be a bit too far fetched but most companies do sell it cheaper in the poorer company, why? cause they still make a profit out of that market. 
     Reselling products to a different region is illegal and in the case of steam or online products, they have a region lock.
    If it can be abused, it will be. That's human nature.
  • sabesian said:

Region lock hm? No money lost hm?
    I have a Steam library of 761 games .. ive paid the full price for about 20-40 games because i wanted to support them and their developers due to being a good game.
    EVERY SINGLE other game ... third-world country purchases because i pay 70 to 90% less there. And never ever has any of my games been locked.
    There you go :P 
    If thats not a loss for any of the remaining 700 gamedevelopers i dont know what is because i am sure that if i had no choice.. for at least 30% of them i would have paid the full price
  • Karthos said:
    My honest opinion.

• Karthos said:
    My honest opinion.

As someone who was formally homeless and jobless at one point in his life, I feel this pain.
  • I understand your pain, but if you can not pay $15 a month for a subscription then this is not the game for you.  Luckily there is plenty out there that are free to play.  Good luck on your venture to find the perfect game for you!