Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

To Fly ... or Not to Fly? Who gets a Dragon.

Comments

• Options
    The thing is you are not attacking "my stance".
    You created an unsustainable and quite delusional lefty extreme "guild leads are treating others like lesser beings" I am supposed to represent, which I simply won't.

So yes, whatever you say is right, just leave me out of it, thank you for your consideration.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    @Rune_Relic
    If i'm getting your argument, it's that guild leaders get rewarded for with dragons and other players do not. I feel like you are way to focused on the dragon being a reward. Not everything grind in the game needs to have a dragon at the end. It sounds like dragons aren't just for show and will actually be powerful instruments of war. They are rewarded to the players who need them most.

Just because you don't get a dragon as a reward doesn't mean you don't get rewarded for different activities. For spending hours crafting you get rewarded with the things you craft and the gold you make from them. You are rewarded gear and materials for grinding dungeons. You might even get a dragon egg for doing pve content. We don't know yet but the dragon egg might be tradeable so you could even buy it if someone sells.

Not only do i disagree that everything should earn you a dragon but i disagree that guild leaders are the only ones that get them from the node system. Raiders and pvpers could easily run military nodes with the gear and experience they get. Crafters could run economy nodes with the money they earn from crafting. To my knowledge, Religious nodes are ran by the player who quest the most for a god.

• Options
    Based on the poll thus far, it really does seem as though the majority here feel that the current direction being taken by Intrepid is the desire. I will keep this poll open for ongoing voting through PAX. Let's see how it goes. Thank you for all the input thus far ♡
  • Options
    If you're going full PvE - make flying mounts expensive but available to everybody.
    If you want to keep world PvP alive - don't implement flying mounts at all.

It's a shit ton of work to combine real flying mounts with a functioning PvP system and so far I've never seen it work quite right.
  • Options
    I think in the high fantasy setting this game will offer - flying should exist to the few who have high status (economical, pvp, pve, etc). You should know when you are in the presence of a leader and flying on a mythical beast will portray that. However, I do feel it should be restricted. I feel it should not provide overwhelming benefits to those who have access to it. Flying should come at a heavy cost  if you want the benefits of flying between areas for example (the upkeep of flying creatures should be high, feeding costs, stable costs, etc?). Taking care of an enormous dragon should take a lot of work from the player and a true leader should be willing to put in that work. That's my 2 cents  
  • Options
    In m opinion, flying should be accessible, but rare. I'm also fine with no flying at all, but certainly no sky combat please.
    Flying for transportation and exploring is fine, but don't make people fight in the air, I'd prefer strictly ground combat.
  • Options
    Well I assume the mounts will be as fast as any flying. All flying will create is avoid players, content and used as a spying feature for sieges. They may even be used as exploits to place siege in places where they cannot be destroyed by the other side.

The only time flying would be good would be when the land is so large that it would take an hour to travel from one place to another. Then flying yes but have it like SWTOR where you went from one place to another using the transport.
  • Options
    A max. of 10 + a rare drop chance people per month will have flying, how is that ever going to affect world pvp? x)
    There will literally be less than 20 people at all times that can use a flying mount.
  • Options
    Grisu said:
    A max. of 10 + a rare drop chance people per month will have flying, how is that ever going to affect world pvp? x)
    There will literally be less than 20 people at all times that can use a flying mount.
    If I am reading you right. A max of 10+ rare drop per month. Even if one drops per month thats 12 per year. But if 10 drop per month thats 120 per year. It will soon not become rare. 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    And please read how the mechanics work. If they lose control of the node or castle, they lose the dragon. The rare drops are timed(we dont know how long they persist yet, but imagine a week probably), and if they become an issue they can always reduce the drop chance. NO one, repeat, NO ONE gets permanent flying.
  • Options
    And please read how the mechanics work. If they lose control of the node or castle, they lose the dragon. The rare drops are timed(we dont know how long they persist yet, but imagine a week probably), and if they become an issue they can always reduce the drop chance. NO one, repeat, NO ONE gets permanent flying.
    That's a game changer. If that is the case, then I have no problem with flying mounts if they won't be permanent. Basically just a show off and bragging rights.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I feel too many people will find this game hard. As they have to spend time to get from place to place. They will not know what is around the corner. To me flying is just a cosmetic in the game.
  • Options
    Don't whant to explore the Open World so fast, that's why I choose this.
  • Options
    I'd vote for when guild gets a castle, then it's random which guild member gets the dragon. Or when guild gets the castle, some challenge between guild members starts to see who will get the dragon.

So every member of a guild has motivation to fight and know there is a chance he might get a dragon.

I am against dragon going automatically to guild leader.

I just want people in successful guild having equal shot at dragon, and not that player knows he doesn't even have a chance because he is not a guild leader.
  • Options
    I don't think this should exist. It will unbalance the game and the powerful will get even more power. If a king can fly from the north pole to Hawaii they can trade easily between the two and that will give them an advantage over land crawlers. They'll keep getting stronger and stronger and no one will be able to keep up so we won't be able to stop them.
  • Options
    The .001 percent of a server population that will have access to flying would affect the global economy as much as a fart in a hurricane. People still seem to think that once someone earns flying that it will be permanent, also they have stated that some dragons won't fly but glide, and some will be water mounts. Gonna suck for whoever is stoked as they become mayor of a coastal or island node and finds out their dragon spawn is Nessie. 
  • Options
    It's not about the economy, it's about dictatorship. If I can never catch up to you I can never dethrone you. If you have a dragon and I don't you have 1,000 gold a day more than me so you will always have better stuff. How can I catch up and dethrone you? By the time I get a dragon you will be far ahead and always will be.
  • Options
    Actually, I thought about it some more and it would only work if dragons fly at the same speed as land mounts, then there wouldn't be an advantage.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    in AA flying is a great way to avoid pvp in tera flying is a great way to avoid pve. in AoC i think maybe city leaders only kinda thing but but but the opposing team should be able to build the anti dragon scorpion they had in GoT or something other type anti-aircraft weapon.

The problem is flying provides an unfair advantage to someone. Most likely be used for spying or giving your guildies locations of resources instead of actually experiencing the content etc. So in total i would say no or very rare flying.

Nothing a mage couldn't pull off flying off a mountain.. not sure how mage landings go but that could be a whole second issue.

edit: side note i liked the idea of extreme upkeep on flying mounts.
  • Options
    Once again need to make this clear. YOU DONT KEEP THE DRAGON! If you lose mayorship of the metropolis or control of the castle, YOU LOSE THE MOUNT. Epic loot drops are TIMED and will probably be much less than a month. Since there are only 5 metropolis and 5 castles, if we don't bother to count the egg drops (which will be extremely rare) with a pop cap of 10k and only 10 dragons that is .001 percent of the population at any one time having the ability of flight.
    The people bitching and moaning that it excludes casuals, guess what? Working as intended. It is meant to be the ultimate epeen perk. You want one, run a kickass guild and control a castle, or schmooze everyone and get elected mayor of a scientific node, or make more gold than everyone else, and buy the economic metropolis mayorship for that month. If you log on for two hours on the weekend and putter around your freehold garden, you are most likely never going to have a dragon, just like you are never going to win the lottery.
  • Options
    Once again need to make this clear. YOU DONT KEEP THE DRAGON! If you lose mayorship of the metropolis or control of the castle, YOU LOSE THE MOUNT. Epic loot drops are TIMED and will probably be much less than a month. Since there are only 5 metropolis and 5 castles, if we don't bother to count the egg drops (which will be extremely rare) with a pop cap of 10k and only 10 dragons that is .001 percent of the population at any one time having the ability of flight.
    The people bitching and moaning that it excludes casuals, guess what? Working as intended. It is meant to be the ultimate epeen perk. You want one, run a kickass guild and control a castle, or schmooze everyone and get elected mayor of a scientific node, or make more gold than everyone else, and buy the economic metropolis mayorship for that month. If you log on for two hours on the weekend and putter around your freehold garden, you are most likely never going to have a dragon, just like you are never going to win the lottery.

So what happens if you never lose control of the castle?
  • Options
    Then you would be a truly epic guild, and your guild leader would be legendary. Once we know the actual details on the guild levelling system and the promised restrictions on mega guilds then that statement would be a concern. But since they have stated that by making a large, max capacity guild, you lose out on other perks that will give a significant advantage to smaller guilds of around 25-50 people we will have to see where the balance is. 
    With only 5 castles available, average effective guild size of around 100 people (estimate from previous statements), concurrent server population of 10k people, the idea that castles won't be changing hands regularly isn't really a concern. The mechanics for sieging a castle and sieging a node are very different from what has been described so far. Each castle controlled node is being beat on each week in cycle, with the 4th week being the actual castle siege. Workarounds like guild swapping and so on are being looked at.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    It's not about the economy, it's about dictatorship. If I can never catch up to you I can never dethrone you. If you have a dragon and I don't you have 1,000 gold a day more than me so you will always have better stuff. How can I catch up and dethrone you? By the time I get a dragon you will be far ahead and always will be.
    this is a good point there is a failing game that uses this plan now. its called archeage. except AA you can catch up if your willing to spend the $$
  • Options
    We could have more flying mounts, all they need to do is put time or range limits on their usage.
  • Options
    I do think it should be rare, but not just for Kings and Queens because not everyone would have an equal chance to be one so I think it should be more random than that.
  • Options
    How about different types of flying mounts? You could have "extremely rare" dragon mounts to show owners status and some lower grade mounts (slower, not as epic as dragon, eg. Gryphons), which would be also hard to get but available for all players.

As for the dragons - they should be large and owner should be able to pick up 1-3 other players.
  • Options
    Aposlaw said:
    As for the dragons - they should be large and owner should be able to pick up 1-3 other players.
    Also have an ejector seat to get rid of them.

• Options
    Then you would be a truly epic guild, and your guild leader would be legendary. Once we know the actual details on the guild levelling system and the promised restrictions on mega guilds then that statement would be a concern. But since they have stated that by making a large, max capacity guild, you lose out on other perks that will give a significant advantage to smaller guilds of around 25-50 people we will have to see where the balance is. 
    With only 5 castles available, average effective guild size of around 100 people (estimate from previous statements), concurrent server population of 10k people, the idea that castles won't be changing hands regularly isn't really a concern. The mechanics for sieging a castle and sieging a node are very different from what has been described so far. Each castle controlled node is being beat on each week in cycle, with the 4th week being the actual castle siege. Workarounds like guild swapping and so on are being looked at.
    I'm of the opinion that there are other ways to flex your e-peen.  Titles, gear, cosmetics, etc...

My concern is how is flying going to work with regards to someone currently flagged red?  Will they be restricted from flying while flagged red?  What is stopping them from getting on their dragon and sitting afk up in the air where they are likely unkillable?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I think it'd be more reasonable if the dragon wasn't a mount, but simply a modifier for the guild. Allow them to fast-travel only within a certain distance of their castle, so it allows them a sphere of influence with their own kingdom. Maybe allow them to detect if rival/warring guild members are in their territory.

As for obtaining & stuff...
    Maybe make dragon eggs a rare guild drop from world bosses that a guild can activate at a castle. Lasts a week or three days or however long is reasonable. Make it so they only get a chance at an egg drop if they have a full party that consists entirely of their own guild members, and all those members have to actually contribute to the kill. That way a guild has to actually earn their dragon.
  • Options
    What is stopping them from getting on their dragon and sitting afk up in the air where they are likely unkillable?

So they are going to sit afk forever? Flagging doesn't disappear. Actually I find that really funny, if you achieved this much to earn yourself the dragon you should actually do such shenanigans to mess with people. This will be the new very exclusive teabagging 2020.
    :kappa: