Names

13»

Comments

• I don't know if I would want players being able to change their characters name. If I have a bad run in with a character I would prefer that player to not change that characters name to avoid being avenged. I know you were not applying that changing a name removes corruption, but changing a name cold make it significantly harder to find them if they are not corrupted.

I know players use alts. I also know that players using alts kind of destroys my argument. Let's just say my character can hold a grudge against another character without me holding one towards a player.

I am interested in how others feel about this though.
    This could also encourage a "name of the month" mentality when a new movie/manga/anime/show/etc. comes out.
  • I like having the option to change character name. Though I think it should not be something that is easy or cheap to obtain, as to make it a rare occasion. That way, people can't just do it often. In-game name is something you look at all of the time, it's above your character's head, in your chat box, etc. so if I decide I want to make it something else, I would prefer that option be available. (Though it is not a big deal for me if it's not available) I've made girl characters in the past that I gave more feminine names and eventually changed their gender, so I see name change as a positive thing. Imagine making a character's name something like XoXllSasukEllXoX and regretting it afterwards. I'd rather not have to make a new character all over again just to have a different name. I also don't really hold grudges or care enough to mind even if I had a bad experience with any single player anymore, so it doesn't bother me at all if people can do it. Maybe back in the day when I was younger and cared about in-game social status and whatnot.
  • As a roleplayer I want to be able to see character names, but I hope to also be able to identify people by their account name, the account and hence the person behind it is who I would be hoping to group with or ignored, no matter what their character.

It may be that you can only find their account name by inspecting their character name...

If I meet a great rper in a character I don't recognise then I would be more likely to create a situation there and then, that would give an easier route to rp interaction than during my standard game play. Ie suddenly 'losing or finding something' rather than just walking past singing to myself

Also some people (in real life) are irredeemably noxious that I want to avoid them forever, and yes, at least one MMO individual (not here in ashes - I hope!) had a real life impact upon my health.
    I would prefer an ignore to actually mean something.

I don't think account names should ever be changeable, if you need to disappear from the game that much, buying a new account should be the only way to go.

I think that character name changes should be possible but with some in game penalty, ie cash shop purchase, or a temporary attached tag ie: Bob aka noobkilla

Alts are a great thing as far as I'm concerned. 
  • Megs said:
    As a roleplayer I want to be able to see character names, but I hope to also be able to identify people by their account name, the account and hence the person behind it is who I would be hoping to group with or ignored, no matter what their character.

I like to be able to provide my account name to certain people, so they can see when I am online, no matter what I am doing or what character I may be on.

I would only want my account visible to everyone if adding someone to a "Friends" list is predicated on an acceptance by the other party. Allows the right people access to you, but prevents the wronguns from knowing too much.

And as long as account name isn't able to be used in any /who searches. Got to allow some sneaksiness.
  • If there was a way to determine the account name, and no way of changing it, I would be more comfortable with a character name change. I would prefer the change to cost in game currency and not be a cash shop item, for me that would deter people more from doing it every two weeks.

I see this being an outlet for PK's to go about making a lot of people mad and then changing their account name and wanting to pretend that never happened.
  • They eventually fixed it so both people had to accept the friends request before you could see if they were online, but SWG had a system where you could add someone to your friends list and then you would see if they were online. Was great for bounty hunting, would add their name, and thus know when they were available to die. They had no control over it. Sorta like an always on /who. They just need to make friends/ignore list account based so if you friend someone from that account then you know when they are on. Was a bit irritating in ESO for those of us who had people on our friends list who were altaholics, you would see every single log on/log off system message for each of their characters. Since most people cycled through their alts once a day for crafting timers and such, was a bit of a pain.
    I said it before in a similar thread, there should be no way for people to get your account name. It just makes it one step easier for a hack.