Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Caught in the PAX undertow!

Hey guys,

I was completely unaware of the game until I came across the booth at Pax West. I played the PvP experience first (Mage) and then later during the con had a chance to play through the PvE experience (Tank).

I have since been trying to brush up on my knowledge of the game and its projected design. I am intrigued and look forward to following this game and its progress closely. 

Comments

• Options
    Great to have  you with us @Araga! (And I'm only slightly miffed that you were at PAX and I wasn't! - arghh! What a great experience!).
    Welcome to the Community, where you'll be able to investigate this intriguing game here as much as you want! Have you any particular questions about the game after playing it/being there?
    Welcome!
  • Options
    Probably the largest question I have is if there are any additional resources for researching the game outside of the limited, largely fluff, overviews on the website.

I have watched the stuff on the Ashes of Creation YouTube channel but was unsure if there was more info to be found on a wiki, fan collection, or other tool? Or even who would be best to field such a query? 
  • Options
    Glad you found it :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Araga said:
    Probably the largest question I have is if there are any additional resources for researching the game outside of the limited, largely fluff, overviews on the website.

I have watched the stuff on the Ashes of Creation YouTube channel but was unsure if there was more info to be found on a wiki, fan collection, or other tool? Or even who would be best to field such a query? 
    Welcome to the community @Araga :) How did you rate your gameplay experience at PAX?

The detailed information that we have been given so far is mostly from Q&A streams, and info released here and on discord.

Official sources

Community resources

There are plenty of helpful people on the forums and discord, so don't be shy to post any questions you might have :)
  • Options
    - The experience I had with the mage in PvP was enjoyable but as would be expected the numbers were off so I did not feel like my mage had much of an impact despite being fun to bounce around with.

- As for the Tank experience I felt the design was rather slow and cumbersome. There were some animation errors that may have contributed to this but over all the Tank had a large amount of downtime and that is just not my play-style. When I spoke with, I believe he was the lead designer, he mentioned that the build in the PvE experience was a Tank/Tank so it likely that it was by design that slower play-style.

- The world was very appealing to the eye but some of the colors blended together to form more of a blur of environment rather than clear distinction (that might just be the 90 day production rather than anything else).

- I am really curious how they intend to utilize the "Reveal" skills and how often and hidden the things they uncover will be. If you will need to bring certain classes to uncover various different hidden aspects of the world or if the Reveal is just a catch all and simply has a different name and perhaps animation for each class.

- The targeting and enemy retention left some things to be desired but again I figure that is more an issue of the 90 days rather than design.

- In the end the game was a strong and appealing representation of something I am interested in. And after further investigation the interaction of the Nodes and the system that surrounds them has kept my interest. I hope to earn a giveaway key so I can continue to follow the progress of the game and provide feedback where and when it is asked for.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback and viewpoint :)
    And a warm welcome of course.
  • Options
    Welcome to Ashes :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the community. I hope you have fun on the forum.
  • Options
    Welcome @Araga! I'm sure we may have met at the booth at some point :)
  • Options
    A very warm welcome to the Community <3
  • Options
    So nice to have you join our great community!
  • Options
    Welcome aboard the industrial strength hype-o-matic. For your safety, please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times :)

• Options
    Welcome @Araga! Congrats on making me jealous! 
  • Options
    @Araga , Nice review and summary.  Wish I had been at PAX.
  • Options
    @Araga Glad you could join us, and jealous you got to go to Pax.
  • Options
    Welcome @Araga to the community! Great introduction and feedback.
  • Options
    GOAT said:
    Attending PAX and meeting folks in person makes the Ashes butt-cam much more enjoyable.
    We should probably make a drinking game out of GOAT spotting the butt-cam footage. :p

• Options
    @GOAT it is always possible. Are you with the Dev Team or were one of the GMs?

Or were you just there often? I don't recognize the GOAT handle...sorry.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    @Araga
    I had the same feeling about lack of impact with my placement on the PvP leaderboard with 5 captures.
    But, also seemed like the Cleric should have had a higher placement based on damage and heals.

I imagine the devs will continue to tweak all of that, but it was fine for PAX.

Hope you have fun hanging out with us here while we wait to play.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    GOAT said:
    Attending PAX and meeting folks in person makes the Ashes butt-cam much more enjoyable.
    We should probably make a drinking game out of GOAT spotting the butt-cam footage. :p

Oh yeah, my backside had many appearances on those streams @Dygz :).

@Araga I was the bald guy with the beard helping during the pvp demo.