Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A request of those new to game and it's information.

Edit: Search bar is fixed. Use it.

Please keep the official Livestream Question thread clear of stuff that has been answered multiple times. When the streams were weekly it wasn't that important if they spent 10 minutes looking for questions during the livestreams or just answered the same thing over and over. Now that it is bi-monthly, or as in this case once a month, tossing them softballs that have been answered before wastes everyones time.
I realize you may be newly arrived, and have wonderful concerns and questions about how this amazing game is going to work. I realize that unlike more polished larger game companies, IS have not made FAQs and information compilations that are easy to find. Several of us that have been here a long time can answer most of your questions with nice links to the relevant statements and answers. They only stream for an hour, and about half of that is questions from the community. Having them answer for the 8th time about every class being able to use every weapon is just a huge waste of time.
Here is a list of links I use in my quest for keeping my knowledge as current as I can.
https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/10158/quotebin-quotes-of-intrepid-team-from-discord/p1
http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pvp-flagging-and-corruption-system.html
http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/interview-ashes-of-creation-on-building-their-virtual-world/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIqmWTGZ2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcbYJllGfnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvcB4S-tZM&feature=youtu.be&t=2585

A simple google search for Youtube Ashes of Creation Q&A will give you more than 20 hours of official videos to peruse.
This is by far no official list, and many other compatriots here will have links to better resources that they may share. But please, take the time to learn some basics. We all have patience, but if I see another thread about "Will there be PVE only servers." I really want to strangle some people.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for posting this.  
  • Options
    What if I change it slightly so as to create a new original question? Such as "Can a Bard use a bow as an instrument?" 

:trollface:
  • Options
    What if I change it slightly so as to create a new original question? Such as "Can a Bard use a bow as an instrument?" 

Good one but I think perhaps it's possible.  Who says a bard has to play an instrument. Maybe he sings for his supper. :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017

Good one but I think perhaps it's possible.  Who says a bard has to play an instrument. Maybe he sings for his supper. :)
    Which is insanely funny in this threads context if you consider I can pull up a quote from February to give this even more weight in the words of Steven (pulled from the very first QnA)

Steven:
    Funny thing about bards, I feel often times in the past when games have introduced bards, they have been purely musical. I want to remind people that bards sometimes can tell a story and that story can be written in blood. So our bards don't necessarily have musical instruments.

If something unlikely specific like this was answered already, your general purpose question surely have been ten times over. <hint hint>

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Wow, some really good stuff in there. Saved me a lot of digging. /Upvote
  • Options
    It's funny what you can find when you look.  Like fact checking.  Many skip that step.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    http://aocwiki.net/Main_Page

Every QnA, Discord post, Video, notes, etc. If it exists on the internet its referenced here in the main articles. 

Also personally recommend "ItsZiz" and "Deathsproxy", no other channels come close (my opinion)/
  • Options
    Moby said:
    Wow, some really good stuff in there. Saved me a lot of digging. /Upvote
    The community tries to help the best we can.
  • Options
    Jup, if the streams answers a question that has been answered many times before is so stupid.
  • Options
    http://aocwiki.net/Main_Page

Every QnA, Discord post, Video, notes, etc. If it exists on the internet its referenced here in the main articles. 

Also personally recommend "ItsZiz" and "Deathsproxy", no other channels come close (my opinion)/

This helps a lot, thanks!! 
  • Options
    Shameless plug to get this back up in the rankings. Just fired off two more private messages to people who have asked stuff that has been answered multiple times.
  • Options
    Some more tips for those just joining the fun party. If you write a page long screed in the Official Livestream Q&A Question Thread that asks 5 questions when you were asked to limit it to one, your chances of getting an answer drops to nil.
  • Options
    Agreed, would be nice if @Belewyn or @Sarumonin could sticky the aocwiki.net link so people can easily find information so we don't get many repeat questions.
  • Options
    Question=Bad.

Compliance=Good
  • Options
    ~~~ I wish some mod would collect unanswered questions and copy them bundled into the first comment of a livestream thread so steven only has to read these without much searching ~~~

Maybe the mod picks the questions with most likes so its unbiased and still community driven.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    ... Think this Thread should be Pinned/ Highlighted ( maybe). I wanted to make a thread just like this ... just was kind hesitant in doing so  :s:s
  • Options
    Going to see if we can revive this one since we once again have people asking basic information like "Do I have to participate in pvp?"
  • Options
    Gotta update it then though
  • Options
    Ruby437 said:
    Gotta update it then though
    Teach a man to fish and all that. 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The search bar is now fixed. Use it. We have seen a decrease in the amount of time they actually use to answer questions, and repeating answers that have been given 3 times before makes the available window of getting something new even smaller.
    Granthor Member ✭✭✭
    Will classes be gender locked? Example: Only females can be mages.

This is a wonderful example. A simple search of gender and the quote from Steven was listed.

Clicking on the cog in the right hand upper corner will also allow you to edit your post once you realize that the information has been given before. Giving you a chance to ask yet another question.

• Options
    I've said before,  we need to have a thread with all the informational links available pinned to the top.  
  • Options
    I agree w/ CylverRayne here, but I do not think it will stop/prevent new/old forum members from starting threads just to ask a question even if it has been answered. I think a while back someone tried to start a Q&A thread with the goal of editing OP with answers and new questions. It didn't stay on the first page very long.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    I agree w/ CylverRayne here, but I do not think it will stop/prevent new/old forum members from starting threads just to ask a question even if it has been answered. I think a while back someone tried to start a Q&A thread with the goal of editing OP with answers and new questions. It didn't stay on the first page very long.
    If such a thread as the Q&A  was pinned then that would help immensely.  

Questions should not be prevented but encouraged IMHO.  How we answer them is another thing.  Kindness, understanding and either giving them the answers they seek or pointed to where they can find them should be the norm.   

• Options
    I think part of people might just not take threads made by other normal players seriously and rather hope to get some official responses instead.

Perhaps pinned Q&A thread, but one started by a mod or intrepid staff member, to give it more an official glow. I think it may go long way in encouraging people to use it, then when it's made by another player.
  • Options
    A good Q&A thread would be nice
  • Options
    Just reviving this thread since it's very important.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I also wish people would stop with the really specific and long questions.

Example: "I want to play a summoner, what if I find a mob that is resistant to fire damage and I want to use my summoned fire elemental. Is there a spell, gear or item that would allow me to fight this and if so, is it also the same for other spells?"

Here's a better way to ask:
    "Will there be things in the game that help negate enemy resistances?"

Boom, same information, they spend less time reading and trying to find the actual question in your book of a question and more time answering. 
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of questions that turn into critiques or propaganda for other games.
    I think critiques should be allowed, just defined first, question second. Not at the same time.
    I know a lot of people have fond/horrible memories of other MMO's glory days, but the "what about WoW/BDO/etc." stuff is usually more propaganda or criticism than value added, imo. *i'm occasionally guilty of this*