Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should Married People Only Have One Freehold?

If you only have one freehold between the two of you the freehold will grow twice as fast since there are two of you contributing to it's growth,  but you'll only have the one so it's a trade off.

Comments

• Where's the option to possibly combine assets or keep them apart?
    Marriage in real life isn't that simple, either... at least, not until you decide to break up with lawyers.
    With a game focusing on economics, I imagine people will do what is most economic.  Whether that is sharing a freehold, or having multiple freeholds... though, I do think it was stated that you have to be a citizen of the city to have a freehold - but I like the idea, or the possibility, of owning multiple properties around the world like any other entrepreneur.
  • Assets are kept apart.
  • Sure, if Intrepid only charges them $15 dollars for two accounts. That is like asking should married people only have to pay for one of their dinners when they go to a restaurant.
  • Maybe they can only have 1 freehold but its greater in size?

Like family pizza?
  • Sure, if Intrepid only charges them $15 dollars for two accounts. That is like asking should married people only have to pay for one of their dinners when they go to a restaurant.
    They still have two accounts, different assets, different games, but only 1 freehold between them. This way they can both add furniture to it and make it grow. If the accounts are completely separate what's the point of being married? 

On the other hand, sharing a freehold might create a situation where people can cheat somehow by passing items to each other. Dunno.
  • Since passing items between people is allowed, don't know what you are on about. Things like skins that are account bound wouldn't apply. If you are implying that people won't be able to directly trade with each other you are in for a shock.
  • what happens when they divorce?
  • Roxx said:
    what happens when they divorce?
    They both die
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Option A is flawed: a "punishment" would be if couples freehold grew at the same rate as normal freehold. If it grows twice the rate it's not punishment at all.

(It could be an actual exploit. You marry your alt and grow your freehold twice fast.)

Also marriages will often be dissolved, so I believe each player should have his own stuff, and if he wants he should be able to give temporary permission (while marriage lasts) for his marriage partner to move around furniture in his freehold and use it like his own but without transferring or merging ownership.
  • This is the best answer yet @Gothix
  • sunfrog said:
    Roxx said:
    what happens when they divorce?
    They both die

As my mother said, "Divorce?  Never!  Murder?  Maybe!"
  • Gothix said:
    Option A is flawed: a "punishment" would be if couples freehold grew at the same rate as normal freehold. If it grows twice the rate it's not punishment at all.

(It could be an actual exploit. You marry your alt and grow your freehold twice fast.)

Also marriages will often be dissolved, so I believe each player should have his own stuff, and if he wants he should be able to give temporary permission (while marriage lasts) for his marriage partner to move around furniture in his freehold and use it like his own but without transferring or merging ownership.
    I think Gothex is pretty on about this. 
  • I am more interested in if you can get married ingame, and then, would you be able to open up your freehold to your partner so that they can tend to crop etc.

I doubt it because people would just get married to share resources.
  • Spun666 said:
    I am more interested in if you can get married ingame, and then, would you be able to open up your freehold to your partner so that they can tend to crop etc.

I doubt it because people would just get married to share resources.
    you can get married it's been confirmed. 
    edited July 2018
    This has given me a excellent idea.

Rumbleforge starts planning his Harem & Real Estate empire....
  • No, as they are 2 separate accounts.  If they want to work together in areas like some kind of crafting process, I'm sure they can try to get close to each other's plots and work out a system.
  • T-Elf said:
    No, as they are 2 separate accounts.  If they want to work together in areas like some kind of crafting process, I'm sure they can try to get close to each other's plots and work out a system.
    Some RP marriages might flourish as time goes on if they sleep in separate Freeholds.
    #AshesMarriageCounseling
    edited August 2018
    I don't see why they could not have two freeholds and cohabitant in one (if that is what they choose to do).

Freehold A would be their primary residence. Freehold B could be their workshop, or summer cottage, or whatever else they please.

I don't see the need to complicate the issue.

This question does have me wondering how a married couple could set up two freeholds to synergize with each other. A Freehold with no residence could focus more heavily on economic output.
  • My brother's and my toons got married in FFXIV because of the convenience of having a house (and we wanted that mount).  Made sense at the time, sounds weird when I recount it though.
  • This idea is just bad xD every player gets a freehold, maybe an option to combine them would be nice but not 1 per marriage.
  • Another one of @Nagash's minions doing his bidding I see? :)^^ For me I think @Gothix hit the nail on the head with his initial response.
  • What about people living in sin?

But seriously:
    Definitely hope you can allow others to interact with your housing.  Housing in ESO was basically a waste since there was no reason for anyone else to enter and you couldn't share with your guild.  

• Kratz said:
    Another one of @Nagash's minions doing his bidding I see? :)^^ For me I think @Gothix hit the nail on the head with his initial response.
    I hope the minion part does not refer to me ? :>
  • Kratz said:
    Another one of @Nagash's minions doing his bidding I see? :)^^ For me I think @Gothix hit the nail on the head with his initial response.
    I would never demean you in such a way as calling you thus.
  • Audacity said:
    What about people living in sin?

But seriously:
    Definitely hope you can allow others to interact with your housing.  Housing in ESO was basically a waste since there was no reason for anyone else to enter and you couldn't share with your guild.  

I certainly hope there are several reasons people would want to visit Freeholds.  One reason would be trade, and I'd like to see how people decorated their space, and what accomplishments they have displayed.
  • Kratz said:
    Kratz said:
    I would never demean you in such a way as calling you thus.
    I do hope so, I do not wish to slander you and your fellow dwarves so lets pretend I never saw that comment.
    edited August 2018
    i wasn't sure if i should link these or not, but " Co-Ownership " was mentioned in an older LiveStream. Hopefully the links turns out to be "food-for-thought" 

https://youtu.be/LUJugtqTBxw?t=26m35s ends at 28:05
    • i think Steven's comment on this at 27:48 (above) might be a tad-bit more accurate... specifically the part where he says ... " maintaining a Solitary owner ". So, at the time of this LiveStream ... he was possibly favoring 1 owner , but could change ... or i'm wrong xD
    https://youtu.be/w8eehrdIIXI?t=52m ( ends at 52:27 )
  • Who needs freeholds.  I'm just planning on being a wandering bard telling stories to whatever sorry village or city I happen to stumble into, no freeholds, no citizenship, just me and the open road and taverns, lots and lots of taverns.

But also no, freeholds are already limited to one per account, we don't need to be limiting them further.
  • Who needs freeholds.  I'm just planning on being a wandering bard telling stories to whatever sorry village or city I happen to stumble into, no freeholds, no citizenship, just me and the open road and taverns, lots and lots of taverns.

But also no, freeholds are already limited to one per account, we don't need to be limiting them further.
    I think having citizenship is still a good idea since there will be citizen only benefits and it's not like you need to stay in that node just to have citizenship.

see if I was not so happy with my tomb I would join you ^^