Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on Pre-Alpha Combat, PVP & PVE

Hello, I would just like to share my impressions of the combat system shown at PAX going over major features and some issues with combat style.

➣➣  https://youtu.be/An4O1RoWH0o

I hope you guys will enjoy it and thanks for watching!

Comments

• Options
    Since now one else said it - you picked a damn-good thumbnail m8 :)

• Options
    Eragale said:
    Since now one else said it - you picked a damn-good thumbnail m8 :)
    Thank you! It took a long time to crop and edit, but it was worth it! There's not a whole lot of resources for that kind of stuff in the Ashes fankit yet. Mostly we have scenery and nature screenshots in the fankit.  :p
  • Options
    Thanks for giving your feedback @Nocht :)
  • Options
    Nice video, short and to the point.
  • Options
    Can't say much, but looks "playable". 

But I think of it this way, Final Fantasy XIV was utter garbage when it released. I literally uninstalled it in less than 5 minutes. So far this looks better than the original Final Fantasy XIV, and it's not even in alpha. I'm sure they will make combat more fluid and engaging by the time it releases, at least I hope so.
  • Options
    Duninn said:
    Can't say much, but looks "playable". 

But I think of it this way, Final Fantasy XIV was utter garbage when it released. I literally uninstalled it in less than 5 minutes. So far this looks better than the original Final Fantasy XIV, and it's not even in alpha. I'm sure they will make combat more fluid and engaging by the time it releases, at least I hope so.
    Combat fluidity, I'm not so concerned about cause that's something that takes time to refine and really just requires adding more details. I'm sure it will be smoother when they add proper side movements, etc. I'm mostly concerned about the slider and how the impact of skills and attacks in combat "feels".
  • Options
    We also have to remind our selves that this content showed at pax was 90days worth of production according to staff working the booth. I found my self really enjoying the game and the beautiful scenery. Over all i have very high expectations of the game and i believe they will do their best. After listening and watching many of the staff talking i can see they truly believe in creating this amazing mmo.  Plus that 5$ pin and 5$ lanyard should help fund them another day :P 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Different types of focus, I guess...
    I like the concept of having the narrow focus on the slider to pull of more advanced weapon techniques as a contrast, while also having wide focus on the battlefield when using non-weapon attacks.

But, still challenging to evaluate when we had such a limited range of abilities.
    We really had only a very, very small taste of how Ashes combat mechanics.
    Due to the limited abilities at PAX, while playing the demos, we had no real distinction between weapon abilities (which will all be accessed via combos using Key 1 in the finished game) and non-weapon attack abilities (which will be accessed by the other keys on the hotbar).
  • Options
    Nocht said:
    " ... I'm mostly concerned about the slider and how the impact of skills and attacks in combat "feels". "
    I can confidently say that " depth-of-impact " feeling,  is solely from the Abilities' SFX Effects being Placeholders. Everyone who's played older Games
     ( from like ...  2007 and before )

Can tell that the Sound-Effects are old too. But its just Temporary.  No way that's going to remain.  o:)
  • Options
    Since its only 90 days of development i think its more then decent.

I have all my hopes up for its upcomming stages.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The 90 days of development must be talking about the area, dungeon, PvP arena, and things of that nature that they had built just for PAX. Keep in mind that we've been seeing actual PVE gameplay and a lot of environment and dungeons since 7 months ago. 

Pre-alpha footage from February: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTWhIF5cqI
  • Options
    Wow, @Nocht I never even considered that :') I feel kinda dumb.
  • Options
    The 90 days includes implementing the QTE, adding Cleric to the available classes, rounding out sufficient abilities (including utility abilities) adding in the required weapons and balancing to a reasonable degree - enough so that PvP combat felt good enough that players were eager to play through the PvP combat multiple times.

Especially when a common complaint is that PvP combat is tacked on towards the end of development for MMORPGs.

But, yeah, their wording often is problematic - too much hype.
    Take everything they say with a grain of salt...
    but there is also a grain of truth in what they say. :p
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    The 90 days includes implementing the QTE, adding Cleric to the available classes, rounding out sufficient abilities (including utility abilities) adding in the required weapons and balancing to a reasonable degree - enough so that PvP combat felt good enough that players were eager to play through the PvP combat multiple times.

Especially when a common complaint is that PvP combat is tacked on towards the end of development for MMORPGs.

But, yeah, their wording often is problematic - too much hype.
    Take everything they say with a grain of salt...
    but there is also a grain of truth in what they say. :p
    It is still impressive what they came up with in that much time, it's just that I think some people hear the "This is what we made with 90 days!" and think that everything has been done in that time. I just like to clear it up, haha.
  • Options
    My thoughts:

-I hope skills will be much more interesting with the second class' modifications, and even just making the base abilities more interesting.
    -Keep the basic attack timing mechanic but just turn it into a visual or audio effect que instead of the bar.
    -Speed it up a bit but not too much. I would like there to be a decent time to kill but I also don't want it to take a minute to kill someone when they are being focused down.
    -Other than that the basic stuff that comes with development like increasing the quality of animations and making it so that a healer primary can't do everything else at the same time. 
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I hated the NPCs A.I. the most

I want the A.I. to be smarter. I truly resent when i see my NPC opponent just idling still ... not doing any action for like 5 seconds whereas the Players is dishing-out all of the best/ strongest hits on it/ them.

Complete mindless-saps. Ugh.
    Even the " Volcanic-Beast " Boss sometimes idles at some points. You'd think that Creatures born & raised in the Savage wilderness would have the basic-instincts to continue to fight until the last breath. Size should not determine how fast nor agile-ness.  

In short, i want my NPC opponents to have a fair chance in winning - give them 1 or 2 Movement Speed boost to counteract the " Kiting Tactics " , negligible dmg buffs/ healing/ Tank boost  ( whichever variation of the 3 ) ... just give them tactics that can be contested with Players - faster tactics being one of them.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I think AI combat polish was the very last thing on the agenda for PAX.
    They could very easily have spent the whole 90 days on that alone.
    But how would that have given a wide general overview of their game concept with the manpower and time limit allowed ?

My expectations are no different to yours.
    I just think you are being exceptionally harsh criticising the AI at PAX.
    It was pretty much the most basic of basic functionality.
    A place holder...by choice.

• Options
    Best Pre-Alpha out of any other MMO in my opinion so ... that alone should mean something Xp
  • Options
    Wanting to see how focus generating abilities vs non-focus generating abilities are implemented; will non-focus abilities be able to be chained for continuous medium damage while focus abilities build up high damage potential effects? (assuming normal ability is lower damage, chained normal abilities is medium-ish, focus ability at full power is highest damage potential).

Focus generating bar (i.e. QTE); if this can be mod-able then one can see it being changed into a pair of arcs that are placed to either side and within line-of-combat but not hovering directly over the main action.

Not losing any hope at this time as the demo was a good sign that the team is producing. Will be monitoring progress, if not exact results, to determine if my pledge was well placed.

• Options
    This game will have 3v3 arena?
  • Options
    Synd said:
    This game will have 3v3 arena?
    I believe what they showed at PAX was 4v4. I don't know about a 3v3.
  • Options
    Morashtak said:
    Wanting to see how focus generating abilities vs non-focus generating abilities are implemented; will non-focus abilities be able to be chained for continuous medium damage while focus abilities build up high damage potential effects? (assuming normal ability is lower damage, chained normal abilities is medium-ish, focus ability at full power is highest damage potential).

Focus generating bar (i.e. QTE); if this can be mod-able then one can see it being changed into a pair of arcs that are placed to either side and within line-of-combat but not hovering directly over the main action.

Not losing any hope at this time as the demo was a good sign that the team is producing. Will be monitoring progress, if not exact results, to determine if my pledge was well placed.

My impression is that the non-focus abilities will not be chained.
    Rather, non-focus abilities will be rotation - partially based on cool-downs and augments.

Both, focus and non-focus abilities should have a range of damage/power output, but the focus abilities are specifically tied to the weapon, whereas non-focus abilities are tied to the class.
  • Options
    I'm fine with some abilities not being chained, but some should be chained imo. Single standing skills with long casting and the slide bar on top of it is tedious to watch and I bet even more so to play and cast. They did say that this is a very early rough draft on the livestream yesterday (September 15 @ 15:00 PDT), so I'm looking forward to seeing how they will apply changes to their ideas.
  • Options
    @Nocht
    The only thing skill chains do is:
    1. increase the impact of cc/stuns,
    2. decrease the amount of options during combat,
    3. reduce the amount of necessary keys.

It doesnt increase combat speed by default. There could be a slow charging attack followed by another slow charging attack within the chain.
    So the solution would be to have faster attacks instead of additional skill chains, if your goal is to increase combat speed.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Nocht said:
    I'm fine with some abilities not being chained, but some should be chained imo. Single standing skills with long casting and the slide bar on top of it is tedious to watch and I bet even more so to play and cast. They did say that this is a very early rough draft on the livestream yesterday (September 15 @ 15:00 PDT), so I'm looking forward to seeing how they will apply changes to their ideas.
    Slide bar is only for weapon combo-chains. If it's a combo - expect the slide bar.
    You don't chain the non-weapon abilities, rather, you deliberately use the one that best fits the current moment-to-moment situation.
    The lengths of the non-weapon cool-downs will be range from short to long.
    Snare, Marked Arrow, Fleeting Shot and Sniper's Eye don't take long to cast.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Uao said:
    @Nocht
    The only thing skill chains do is:
    1. increase the impact of cc/stuns,
    2. decrease the amount of options during combat,
    3. reduce the amount of necessary keys.

It doesnt increase combat speed by default. There could be a slow charging attack followed by another slow charging attack within the chain.
    So the solution would be to have faster attacks instead of additional skill chains, if your goal is to increase combat speed.
    In Ashes, the skill chains do increase combat speed - successful QTE is rewarded with an extra weapon attack more quickly than if you miss the QTE and just do the basic weapon attack.

In Ashes, the weapon chains increase the amount of options during combat, while reducing the amount of necessary keys.
  • Options
    I really do enjoy the idea of timing attacks correctly makes combat much more engaging than just button mashing.

I'm not going to push much on skills and everything else for obvious reasons. I do hope though they move to a visual or audio que instead of a sliding bar because I found myself looking at that a lot.  
  • Options
    Agree with issues mentioned in video. Specially about "combat bar".

Combat bar is really a "combat killer".
  • Options
    Just wanted to touch on 3 things:

1) I agree the bar focus system in combat will be distracting and detract from true action gameplay but think is should remain for other, less action orientated parts of the game.

2) I Like the melee cleric style and feel is should be a viable gameplay choice but also think it should be optional. So those who like standing back and healing can do so. Maybe make the melee type a bit more effective?

That said, the baseball bat method of hold/using that staff is both silly and unrealistic. The IS animators need to go study a bit more about how a staff is carried and effectively wielded. Namely you carry a staff one handed by your side and wield it more from the center 2 handed. I can name a number of games that have done a better job and hope they revise this.

3) I also am not a fan of NEEDING one of every archtype to be able to clear a dungeon or similar activity. There should be multiple ways to approach a situation. I really don't want to hear, "Well, we couldn't find a bard so we have to scrap it guys, thanks for waiting and sorry". That's just unacceptable and frankly lazy game design.
  • Options

3) I also am not a fan of NEEDING one of every archtype to be able to clear a dungeon or similar activity. There should be multiple ways to approach a situation. I really don't want to hear, "Well, we couldn't find a bard so we have to scrap it guys, thanks for waiting and sorry". That's just unacceptable and frankly lazy game design.
    They have said a number of times that it won't be necessary, but the dungeon will progress faster if you do. So if you can't get a bard or a rogue, you can just slot in another ranger and mage, and you can still complete the dungeon, it might just take 10 more minutes.

There will always be alternatives.