Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Primary class and secondary class

This may have been talked about on the forums already but I am interested to know. Will you be able to switch secondary classes. Let me conjure up a scenario. I am a tank and currently for progression content. The combination of tank and cleric is best because it adds extra sustain while the guild is progressing through that content. That said, been a lucky and stylish tank. I happen upon a few items that make the content a bit easier and bring out my eyes. Suddenly been a battle mage makes more sense. Cause nothing says happy go fun time like a tank who occasionally sets things on fire...... intentionally.

Comments

• Riako125 said:
    This may have been talked about on the forums already but I am interested to know. Will you be able to switch secondary classes. 

• And has been confirmed in livestreams since. No primary archetype change mechanic, secondary will have a mechanic to change. No details on cost, whether is will be just visit an npc and change (not likely), or quest based. No confirmation on whether you will keep the experience gained in that secondary archetype so that you don't have to start all over if you decided to stop being a Fighter/Cleric and went Fighter/Mage, hated it, and decided to swap back. From the amount of "We want players choices to have meaning and consequence." that was thrown around during the answer, expect it to be a quest chain that takes some effort. Other games that let you swap on the fly as the situation demands, not going to happen.
  • That doesn't sound bad at all UnknownSystemError                        
  • Yeah, I'd probably be torn myself in terms of wanting primary class change/swap. As someone who doesn't invest in alts, you might think it would be a dream move from Intrepid, but I actually like the idea of having to live with my decisions and ride out the rough with the good. I'd hate for people to be able to dive from one FoTM class to the next on a whim.
  • Not being able to change primary classes if fine by me, I am sure Intrepid has their reasons.
    The ability to swap secondary classes is nice as well, as certain builds can either become boring after a while or are not viable for certain situations.

• Kratz said:
    Yeah, I'd probably be torn myself in terms of wanting primary class change/swap. As someone who doesn't invest in alts, you might think it would be a dream move from Intrepid, but I actually like the idea of having to live with my decisions and ride out the rough with the good. I'd hate for people to be able to dive from one FoTM class to the next on a whim.
    I definitely agree with you there. People having to stick with their initial decision will force us to really think about what we want to pursue.

The whole mentality of "my class isn't doing so well right now, I'll just reroll!" is annoying and counterproductive.
  • The primary archetype is supposed to have abilities so unique that they could never be replaced by a different primary archetype. For example, the tank primary class might be the only class with a taunt skill. Want to tank as a mage/tank? You can try, but your control of the PvE enemies will never come close to a tank primary, who can just press a button and take control.
    That said, you're not supposed to be forced into one class, but only to your primary archetype, so if you want to go with the Flavour of the Month, you will probably still be able to do so. 
    Also, about that equipment question: since we know that equipment is not planned to be restrictive to one character, you might as well, at the very last resort, trade it over to your battlemage alt and pursue your duties on this new character.
  • Have they even announced the classes and races yet?

I have no issue with locked primary class.  I think having a limited number of alts is a good thing to personally.

• ChaosBeer said:

Have they even announced the classes and races yet?

I have no issue with locked primary class.  I think having a limited number of alts is a good thing to personally.

Both the races and the archetypes are announced, you can check them on the kickstarter, and they are probably also somewhere on the website. What we don't know is the names for the class combos, but we know the archetypes (which can be either primary, secondary, or both in the case of a Tank/Tank), are Tank, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Mage and Summoner.