Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why is everyone suddenly coming back to verra?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ahhh, more of a TED, than the one from A.I. that I linked. Could work, but the "runes mah mershun" crowd is already up in arms about Lord Stuffington the 3rd, doubt they will make him more controversial.
  • Options
    Now I'm crying. :cry:

The 16 lights in the sky are us returning to Verra so we can squish Dillia's mom.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    Now I'm crying. :cry:

The 16 lights in the sky are us returning to Verra so we can squish Dillia's mom.
    a dead dwarf is a good dwarf ^^
  • Options
    Maybe everyone is coming back to Vera because they want to see what all that magic stuff was about that their ancestors kept talking about.

"Back in my day we could cast fly and shoot flames from our ar....hands."
  • Options
    We're coming back for Stuffington's mom. She sacrificed herself so we could escape but we found out that she's still alive so we're coming to rescue her. 
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    We're coming back for Stuffington's mom. She sacrificed herself so we could escape but we found out that she's still alive so we're coming to rescue her. 
    You have the oddest theories
  • Options
    Does anybody here remember planet Verra?
    Remember how we said that we would meet again,
    Some sunny day...
    Verra!  Verra!
    What has become of you?
    Does anybody else in here...
    Feel the way I do?

My apologies to Roger Waters.
  • Options
    I came through the gateway to claim, craft and conquer!
  • Options
    AunDrew said:
    ... and are the portals going to be two way, can you go back through them?
    This!
    Are we going to be able to just say:
    "Verra? Nope don't like it here!"
    *turns around and goes back trough Portal*
    End of Game
    Credits roll down your screen
  • Options
    @Augentier - Shortest MMO in the history of MMOs confirmed xD
  • Options
    Bless Online died, BDO is dying, Neverwinter Online deleted accounts.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018

I feel the game's lore creates a conundrum and I'm looking forward to seeing how they resolve it. Hopefully they surprise me.

The issue is this: We fled to a world devoid of magic. We survive here for thousands of years. Okay... So we are now a magic-free society. There are no magical institutions or organizations any longer. There is little or no magical knowledge. When we walk through the portal we are a people who have lived our entire childhoods and young adulthoods as non-magical peoples. We've never known anything at all magical...

So… where exactly are all these starting the Mages, and Clerics, and Summoners coming from? There wouldn’t be any…and if people just manifested powers after walking into the world then those people would also already have basic [insert blank] skills developed from living their whole life as another profession… So you’re some professional scout/explorer/soldier/etc and you walk through and can now summon things. Cool. Where’d the other aptitude just evaporate to?

I feel like this is a logical hole in the lore vs what we know about how the game starts. But there is a lot of time and far more info to come so I am looking forward to them making this issue make sense.

To me the 'why' we're coming back makes perfect sense. Imagine a portal opens up here in RL to a realm where magic is freakin real... you bet people are going through that thing.

• Options
    @Ravnodaus
    I agree that the Leveling and gaining Abilities is a huge problem. This Problem ist present in Most(all?) RPGs. I mean you character is an adult an suddenly starts to learn awesome powers/abilities? Doesn't seem right. 

But i think the approach Ashes is taking could be logical (at least as far as logical goes in fantasy setting).
    Your coming from a peaceful world(we currently have no conflicts between the races) with no magic. So you probably got some basic weapons training before you were sent trough the portal and thats it. You don't have skills except basic combat.

But i find the point interesting on how you will recieve your first magical skill. If you walk through the portal and can instantly throw fireballs that would be weird.
    But if you would walk to some kind of scholar and he would tell you something about magic and types of magic and you would recieve your first skill after that. Would make much more sense.
  • Options
    Interesting point. My only question is: Where would that potential scholar come from? It would have to be someone from our magic-free world since Verra is completely devoid of human/humanoid life at that point except for the Tulnar who live underground. Maybe it would be someone who has dedicated their life to remember and learn about the ancient ways of our ancestors? It would make things interesting because then that "Teacher"-figure would probably still be trying to figure the magic out themselves.
    Or the guidance could come from something or someone completely different, like an ancient spirit creature that survived all those many years on Verra and has tons of experience in the magical ways that it could teach the newly arrived voyagers. There might be some highly intelligent beings still present in that world after all.

• Options

Or the guidance could come from something or someone completely different, like an ancient spirit creature that survived all those many years on Verra and has tons of experience in the magical ways that it could teach the newly arrived voyagers. There might be some highly intelligent beings still present in that world after all.

Now see this I could get behind. That'd be an incredible way to bridge the gap and reintroduce the humanoid peoples to magic.

We know the gods are real in this world, too... so it could very well even be them or their worldly avatars. It could be some friendly (or maybe not friendly) magical creatures, ie dragons, elementals, etc... 

I can't wait to see how it works out. But you have a great idea there.
  • Options
    Ravnodaus said:
    We know the gods are real in this world, too... so it could very well even be them or their worldly avatars. It could be some friendly (or maybe not friendly) magical creatures, ie dragons, elementals, etc... 

I can't wait to see how it works out. But you have a great idea there.
    Maybe these beings (gods? spirits?) even had something to do with the reopening of the portals to Verra. The whole idea that there will be deities that might even play an active role in the story has me really intrigued to be honest.
  • Options

Maybe these beings (gods? spirits?) even had something to do with the reopening of the portals to Verra. The whole idea that there will be deities that might even play an active role in the story has me really intrigued to be honest.
    Steven has stated a few times that the gods of Verra are real, they are the ones that activated the portals during The Fall, and they are the ones that have reactivated them. They will be a physical presence in Verra. 10 gods, six player religions.

• Options
    My theory is that since we enter a world filled with magic, gods and spirits (lets not forget the Tulnar is still there aswell) is that a spark is igniting within us and we develop an attunment for magic. Controlling it thou that is a whole different story i mean i might accidentally put my house on fire with some flicker from my fingers :D

• Options
    FliP said:
    A verra nice KFC recently opened, the recensions are great and everyone wants to try the Verra exclusive corrupted fried chicken.
    Oh my good - i sooo wanna try that. Wheres the portal, please? And is there a BKING also? I'm dying to taste a Double Verra Whopper with Mandrake Roots and fresh Blood Moss... Yummy!