Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Replayability: Character Rebirth?

To my knowledge this doesn't exist in the game and I don't know if it is even remotely being considered but back in the 90s there was a popular game called The 4th Coming.

There was a cool feature in that game called "Seraphing" where essentially you died and were reborn as a Good or Evil angel with wings and the whole nine yards but you started over at level one with a small base boost to all stats like +5 or something.

It was by far one of my favorite features of that game because you never ran out of something to do really and you could forever increase the strength of your character. I invested over 6 years into a character to get him reborn 6 times and leveled back up to max but it was some of the fondest memories I have.

What features exist or will be implemented to prevent end-game from being "stale"?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017

To my mind "Endgame" is when you reach the end of static content and have to wait 9-18 months for the devs to drop in new content. Ashes doesn't have an endgame. There is a major focus on player-driven gameplay - the world dynamically responds to what players are doing rather than remaining static.

Also, keep in mind that players can use monster tokens to play as a mob or a boss during monster events, so even fighting the same monster won't be a matter of memorizing one pattern strategic moves that can be repeated every encounter. Intrepid are looking at a more revolutionary design that is going to constantly provide new stories rather than repeatable static content. It's a brave move but it's part of why I'm so excited about Ashes. :)

• A rebirth system is esentially benefiting those that play the most and longest. There would be no point for new players to join the game, if they aim to be competitive, as they would be a few generations behind.

We don't even know what content we will have, so it is a bit early to worry about whether we will have something to do or not.
  • Ashes is supposed to be forever evolving dependent on player interaction and involvement in the world.   Towns will be built and torn down.  Dungeons will appear where none were before.  Resources will  be depleted and locations move.  New content and old content is dependent on us, the players.
    No two servers will have the same development.  How could there be an end game to something that is ever evolving?  
  • I've played a few games with rebirth or "ascension" in which you rerole your character and start over with a stat boost. Imo it doesn't add any longevity to the game but gives an advantage to players that have the time to "grind" levels.

Exactly as @Kratz has stated - End game is a term that Intrepid want to break by developing a world from the core that is player driven. This means through out their development they are putting mechanics in place that are responsive to player activity. This means each day the world is different and should be continuously exciting and memorable ^^ Even simple things like the change of seasons will keep the game from feeling "stale" ^^

I agree with @Kratz that the concepts are "brave" and it's also part of why I'm so excited for Intrepid Studios and Ashes of Creation. I am so hyped to watch the game develop and community grow ^^ We're just at the beginning of our journey and I look forward to what the future holds ^^
  • I don't really see much difference between re-rolling as Good or Evil angel and re-rolling as a different race.
    I'm interested in experiencing different stories. I don't really care about the stat boost.
    Once I've run through the quest-lines from a few different cultural perspectives, I'm done.

But, I'm burnt out on hitting the endgame wall. I'm waiting on a game where we can ever quest. Most MMORPGs in the current century have promised to have a solution that will provide an end to endgame. And they have all failed to do so.
    The game design for Ashes potentially has a good solution, so I've backed them to help support their efforts.

I suppose even EQ and WoW have things to do during endgame... technically.
    I want new things to do that impact the world/story and impact my character... more than just gaining uber gear.
  • I guess I've never fully grasped the concept of a server getting entirely player driven so no end-game can really exist. Thanks @Kratz that makes much more sense
  • I have one word

NEVER!!!
  • I've actually played an MMO that included a similar feature after I already quit, but all it did was make the already strong people even stronger because it was really difficult to reach max level already due to the equipment progression in the game and before reaching max level, you couldn't do it as far as I know or it was not worth it. It was one or the other.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Chronicles of Elyria is/was going to have the whole rebirth system thing going on with permadeath. Haven't really kept up on it once I found out it was full loot pvp and pay to resurrect. If permadeath resurrection is your thing, check it out.
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348/Design-Journal-4--Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath
  • Interesting, I was initially interested in CoE but frankly fell off because of some stuff that I'd heard or seen, just didn't seem to hold a candle to AoC in any way. 
  • Like some have already said this would just keep new players uninterested as people who have been playing since day 1 would most likely be very far ahead.
  • Ok with this if subsequent characters are not more powerful at end game.
    I can imagine deleting my own characters and starting over with better gear in wait to feel more powerful before end game.  But the power creep would deter new players, just like the full loot would.  New players will want to compete without years of grinding.
  • It may be possible to extend the attainment of maximum development (level) for an indefinite period of time (5-10 years) or high will simply absent. In the end, not all of the players in an MMO are, someone has more time for the game, and someone supports a strong (rich) guild.
  • Prestige systems i like xD Max lvl restard at lvl 1  for some cosmetics or whatever.