Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should season follow real world change?

2»

Comments

• Karthos said:
    I would like to see real life themed events though, with Verra lore relevant reasons behind them.

Like Halloween=Celebration of @Nagash's Death Day

Christmas=St Steven's Day (which is an actual holiday on 12/26 apparently)

Labor Day=Tulnar Appreciation Day

Thanksgiving=Give Karthos Food Day
    You forgot February 15th - Nagrash day.

• Gothix said:
    Ashes should not have earth related holidays. It should have it's own, completely unrelated to Earth.
    Unless Jesus exists in Verra, if then, Christmas would be normal. But putting Jesus with the fictional made gods in the same category would cause some backlash. So it's a risk. Not to mention, I'm personally choked enough with Christmas, Easter, Valentine, Halloween... I mean if AOC servers gonna be universal, significant/popular/other religious holidays from around should be celebrated too; Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Hanukah, Holi, Chinese Spring/Fall Festival, Japanese Doll Festival, Star Festival, Oktoberfest, Diwali, Rio Carnival and most importantly for @nagashDia de los muertos (Day of the Dead)...
  • Dolphin said:
    Gothix said:
    Ashes should not have earth related holidays. It should have it's own, completely unrelated to Earth.
    Unless Jesus exists in Verra, if then, Christmas would be normal. But putting Jesus with the fictional made gods in the same category would cause some backlash. So it's a risk. Not to mention, I'm personally choked enough with Christmas, Easter, Valentine, Halloween... I mean if AOC servers gonna be universal, significant/popular/other religious holidays from around should be celebrated too; Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Hanukah, Holi, Chinese Spring/Fall Festival, Japanese Doll Festival, Star Festival, Oktoberfest, Diwali, Rio Carnival and most importantly for @nagashDia de los muertos (Day of the Dead)...
    It's not Jesus, but his half brother Craig that exists in Verra
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Since we are touching religious subject here, I would like to add that if Christian holiday will be added to a fantasy world then holidays from other religions have to be added as well to keep things fair.

I personally feel that I have too much of religious stuff pushed on me in real life already, and I don't want to see this in a fantasy game as well.

BUT, if religious holidays will be pushed into game then for sure I want to see different RL religions represented equally and not just one religion of someones choice be pushed upon players.

This game will be played across the world so not only one chosen culture and religion should be represented.

As I said in some other threads already, this is the reason I would prefer Ashes to not have earth related holiday events at all, but rather Ashes should have it's own holidays, completely unrelated to Earth.
  • In my opinion the seasons need to progress quite quickly. If we had real time seasons necessary seasonal crops/drops would only be available for very short periods of time.  great if you are in it for the long haul but if you need a summer crop for that all important potion and have to wait 9 months for there to be any available, people are going to become very frustrated.  Also looking at the same season for 3 month from a visual point of view would be very boring too.  Got enough of that in real life ;)
  • Kratz said:
    Kratz said:
    Diura said:
    I don't see the sun often in Scotland -
    I'd gladly argue that where I live in the sticks of Wales has as much if not more rainfall than Scotland, though if I'm being objective here, I think Inverness wins! Roll on the hot desert and the snowy hills of Ashes ;)
    Welshies Unite.
    Didn't know you were Welsh, you'll have to show us your singing voice in your next podcast. :p 
    wow im in shock
  • On the note of religious holidays the devs can just go with their own holidays and leave all the rest out and I still would not care, but I do still have to agree with the "keep the fantasy world a fantasy world" POV
  • I am mixed on this, but perhaps this is due to my own lack of insight. For one, I'd like them to be real world time, because it could be really enjoyable watching seasons change in a game alongside the real world.

HOWEVER, I know that seasons also effect in game items. Farming, fishing, and other things are impacted by the weather. If you match the weather to real life, there are crops that can not be grown for /MONTHS/. This could be a very negative impact on the game at large.

At the same time, we as players would learn though, the troubles farmers go through for their own crops and people would suddenly have to learn to stock up on things, before that season ends, so they can do what they need with those items-- which could be a bit of a real world lesson for much of the way of youth.

Then again, this is a video game. Who serious wants to deal with real world troubles in a video game? *shrugs!*

So, this is why I sit on the fence of this subject, because I can see the cons and pros of both sides... and really, in the end, I'll support whatever the Intrepid Team decides to do.
  •  Players should be able to change the seasons after passing the ultra-hard quest. It'll be interesting.
  • I selected "Yes", but not because I want them to mirror real-world seasons.  I would just like the cycle to be a bit slower.  Same goes for the day/night cycle.  They're both just a little too quick for my taste.