Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class/weapon/armor combos

I am almost overwhelmed by all the options so I wanted to get other people's input. 

Primary, secondary, armor type (are you going to mix), and weapon. What's your plan?

Comments

• There simply isn't enough information to plan anything tbh. The idea I have is Cleric/Cleric or Cleric/Bard. As for weapons and armor I know not. We'll need more info before I can answer that objectively. I hope that certain classes won't be forced to use certain weapons and that all weapons and armors compliment a playstyle differently, ie, a cleric Elf will heal better through a staff but a Cleric Dwarf would heal with a Longhammer and a Cleric Orc will heal with a Double handed axe etc. I'm hoping for more diversity than just to say, "ah you wanna heal? Here's your staff". Having said that I may go Bard, so the simple answer is I just don't know. I'm assuming that our armor pieces will be mismatched via a mixture of Heavy/Light/Medium in order to perform at maximum so I really do hope that we'll have a wardrobe and dye system right off the bat. I certainly don't want to look like a rainbow who put on his mother's clothes.   
  • Hopefully more information will help me with a decision. I probably should wait til we see footage of all 8 before going down this road at all, but where's the fun in that. 
  • Althor said:
    Hopefully more information will help me with a decision. I probably should wait til we see footage of all 8 before going down this road at all, but where's the fun in that. 
    Oh I agree, and that's obvious from what I stated. Plan to be corrected, that's what I did. :)
  • Mage with heavy plate armor and huge 2 handed axe. Gonna teleport around until i fall off the cliff into a river and drown.
  • I am currently thinking having a Spellsword (fighter/mage) that dual wields swords with a mix of medium and light armor.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Im just playing a necro so I don't mind what I use as long as I can change the gear on my summons 
  • Zastro said:
    I am currently thinking having a Spellsword (fighter/mage) that dual wields swords with a mix of medium and light armor.
    If I had to choose right now I think I'd go similar but with rogue as the base instead of fighter. 

I am am afraid to go physical/physical and meet an enemy that could only be damaged via magic. 
  • I like to have uncommon combos.
    Since any class can use any weapon, I'll have to experiment to see what feels unique but still viable.
  • Since I'm pretty confident I'm going Mage/Mage, I'll probably go all light armor(maybe some medium, depending on how it looks, maybe I could have less robe armor, and more like battlemage gear?). For weapons staff or spell book, I'm loving the spellbook look from the gameplay videos so I'm favoring spellbook. If you can have like two weapon options and there are 1 handed staves I'd love to have spellbook for my main weapon and then staff and sword for my second!
  • Dygz said:
    I like to have uncommon combos.
    Since any class can use any weapon, I'll have to experiment to see what feels unique but still viable.
    I'd love to try a bunch of classes out as well but I hate feeling like I am behind. 
  • Going to play a paladin, tank/cleric, pretty straight forward heavy armour with sword & board.
  • Varkun said:
    Going to play a paladin, tank/cleric, pretty straight forward heavy armour with sword & board.
    Is that your go to in every game or is that just what sounds good for Ashes?
  • Althor said:
    Varkun said:
    Going to play a paladin, tank/cleric, pretty straight forward heavy armour with sword & board.
    Is that your go to in every game or is that just what sounds good for Ashes?

It is actually my go to in every game I play never regretted it yet, I play other characters as alts but have yet to find one I enjoyed more than tank paladin type.
    Just think there might be some nice synergy's with some passive healing with the tank abilities, well as things stand atm though that may change when more information is released or I get hands on time. 
  • Thadgar said:
    Since I'm pretty confident I'm going Mage/Mage, I'll probably go all light armor(maybe some medium, depending on how it looks, maybe I could have less robe armor, and more like battlemage gear?). For weapons staff or spell book, I'm loving the spellbook look from the gameplay videos so I'm favoring spellbook. If you can have like two weapon options and there are 1 handed staves I'd love to have spellbook for my main weapon and then staff and sword for my second!
    What made you want to double down on the class? Do you feel like you'd be missing out on anything?
  • Rogue - mage with heavy armor and a two-handed mace xD
  • The class combination I will choose will depend on how viable the combo is as well as the class passives that you can combine.

Either Fighter - Tank, Fighter - Rogue or Fighter - Cleric.
  • Instead of tying weights to certain classes, I'd rather see the route of having advantages and disadvantages. So a mage could wear heavy armor, but maybe their cast time would be slightly less than if they wore a robe. However, they would gain more armor and protection. That way you could use gear weights to be more situational. 
    And of course I want all the options for the fashions!! :D 
  • With my minimal experience with MMO's in general I really don't have an idea of potential character set up. I like the idea of having Cleric as my primary but not sure how it would pair with rogue/fighter. Or even the reverse of having Cleric be the Secondary. I'm thinking I like the idea of dual swords if possible otherwise just a sword. I"m thinking medium armor if i go fighter and possibly less if i go rogue. But i honestly don't have much insight of Clerics but what I've seen I am intrigued. 
  • I'm curious what factors most impact character class choices. I know people want to see numbers and min/max stuff. I also know some people pick by play style and still others role play. One of my judging areas for an mmo is how well i can pick any class and enjoy that choice, based much less on stats. 
    edited November 2017
    Really depends on how the cleric plays.  I might be sitting back with beer steins casting spells,
    (remember those days?) or I might be using a quarterstaff whacking the undead with it.  As I barely play cleric I would like an experience I've seen before, instead of the "healers must dps, memorize everything, stance dance and smell nice too." debacle I saw before.  

So personal preference? a quarterstaff.
  • I've always wanted to play a healer with a bow, but I'm not sure how well those two would work together. I really hope they can do something fun with it. I will definitely be giving it a try out in beta (both cleric/ranger  and ranger/cleric).
  • @Sivanna I love your idea of an archer healer. Another consideration is pvp or pve. Which are you basing your choices on? In pvp, healers are harassed on a good day, destroyed on any other day. The system that has been mainstream for so long makes hybrid classes hard to balance in a tank/dps/heals meta. If i had it my way, I would rewrite the entire class system from the ground up to make each combination viable.
  • I usually do a bit of both pvp and pve, but I enjoy healers that have some good mobility.  Perhaps the ranger/cleric could unlock a Leech arrow, that damages the enemy and heals the closest damaged ally. Maybe a cleric/ranger has a spell that shoots a light arrow towards the ground and creates an AoE barrier of sorts, or maybe toward the sky, and a healing light rains down doing a small amount of healing to all allies. I am not sure how you could apply direct healing spells to an archer though.

Since the secondary class will augment existing skills, I expect that mostly the delivery of the heal (or damage) will change. its still too early to tell, though.
  • For myself I love a good Battlemage.  It's just so rarely done well in games.  I keep trying it and I usually end up disappointed.  I will probably try pairing one of the warrior types with a mage 2nd.  Or maybe a ranger\rogue with a mage.
  • My actual plan is probably going to be Fighter+Cleric or some other Fighter combination with heavy plate armour and a big ass sword or poleaxe.

Other ideas I've had is a cloth melee magic class, perhaps Fighter+Summoner/Mage or Rogue+Summoner/Mage, that might be really interesting imo.
    edited November 2017
    It'd be weird to mix and match in my opinion, i feel warriors should have plate and plate only, why would a warrior wear a robe or archer gear? but i think itd be cool to allow people to decide lol
  • Every fantasy game I have ever played, I always make a caster/wizard/mage class because back when WoW first came out, the mage throwing fireballs from the tower in the cinematic enthralled me. I was blown away. So I will probably stick to that idea since it's what I have done before. That being said, in Divinity 2 recently I started as a cleric. I have always been drawn to the idea of a holy warrior (would have played pally in vanilla wow but my friend played one).
  • It'd be weird to mix and match in my opinion, i feel warriors should have plate and plate only, why would a warrior wear a robe or archer gear? but i think itd be cool to allow people to decide lol
    Physical melee with a robe and my mind went to Rurouni Kenshin. It could be cool for a warrior but I still can't see it for a tank. 
  • Tiberious said:
    Every fantasy game I have ever played, I always make a caster/wizard/mage class because back when WoW first came out, the mage throwing fireballs from the tower in the cinematic enthralled me. I was blown away. So I will probably stick to that idea since it's what I have done before. That being said, in Divinity 2 recently I started as a cleric. I have always been drawn to the idea of a holy warrior (would have played pally in vanilla wow but my friend played one).
    I enjoy playing a glass cannon but I got frustrated with my WoW casters and their lack of mobility. 
  • Three daggers, two steel, one more so organic, and no clothing.

/thread