Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Driveby buffs

I was wondering if there will be spells or abilities that will provide longer lasting buffs, say 2,5 or 10 minutes plus. I enjoyed casting a longer lasting buff on random people as you passed by them in the game world and it was a nice surprise to receive such a buff from a random person. To me it just fosters in a small way a closer community, to know that someone you may never interact with has taken a brief moment to help you on your journey.
What do others think is it a good idea for longer lasting buffs or do people not want such buffs to be on a somewhat restricted action bar?

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps having an extra "action wheel" in addition to action bar, just for the buffs.
  • Options
    I have had this in other games too and always enjoyed it. SWTOR had a system where once you had earned the buff from one class, you could apply it on your other characters also. Gave a reason to run at least one of each class to max level. People then understand mechanics of other classes better, leading to more understanding from people as a whole what was going on.
    Depends on if they link it to the flagging system also. We know that healing someone flagged purple will turn you purple also. Depends on whether giving them an active buff would qualify the same.
  • Options
    Yes if you did buff someone who was flagged I guess it would flag you as well, need to be careful with the drive by buffs.
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    Yes if you did buff someone who was flagged I guess it would flag you as well, need to be careful with the drive by buffs.
    Interesting question. I'd have to wager no, unless the buff as it's essentially in most games a "condition" and any damage or healing that buffed is attributed 100% to the player that has the buff on them. 
  • Options
    I spammed arcane intellect plenty of times on my WoW mage. Can't remember if it was 30 or 60 minutes though. 

I would hate to get flagged for that
  • Options
    On Allods Online, in the good years (2009s-12) there was a great community and there were spells called "Maximize" and "Minimize" that would increase your strength or evasion and actually increase or decrease the size of your character and it was fun, as people would run up to a random mage and say, "Maxi me."
  • Options
    I asked the question about drive by healing in a live stream and Steven said we could do it.  However, it did not occur to me that it could change my status; and to be truthful, I was just thinking about this in a PvE situation.  Interesting if this would flag you from green to purple if you healed a purple.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017

"So, combatants are people who either aid other combatants or attack other combatants or noncombatants, so those are combatants… those are flagged players, they’re purple."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit

It all comes down to what they define "aid" as.
    One option they could go with if the mechanics and depth of their flagging allows.
    If you are green and heal someone who is purple and they are not in combat, then you stay green.
    If you are green and you heal someone purple or red in combat you become purple.

• Options

"So, combatants are people who either aid other combatants or attack other combatants or noncombatants, so those are combatants… those are flagged players, they’re purple."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit

It all comes down to what they define "aid" as.
    One option they could go with if the mechanics and depth of their flagging allows.
    If you are green and heal someone who is purple and they are not in combat, then you stay green.
    If you are green and you heal someone purple or red in combat you become purple.

It will be interesting to see which way they go, personally I think if you heal or buff someone who is in pvp combat then that may well flag you to purple. Another option could possibly be flagging red if you lend aid to anyone with corruption or flagged red, though this seems a bit harsh tbh.
  • Options
    It will be interesting how they address aoe heals and the like also. They could go with red characters not being able to receive any healing from others. (watching Gothix's head exploding at the mention of this). Another exploit will be to stop purples healing greens in order to flag them to get around the mechanic. Your buddy plans on ganking a green. You heal green player flagging them purple. Buddy ganks freely.
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    I was wondering if there will be spells or abilities that will provide longer lasting buffs, say 2,5 or 10 minutes plus. I enjoyed casting a longer lasting buff on random people as you passed by them in the game world and it was a nice surprise to receive such a buff from a random person. To me it just fosters in a small way a closer community, to know that someone you may never interact with has taken a brief moment to help you on your journey.
    What do others think is it a good idea for longer lasting buffs or do people not want such buffs to be on a somewhat restricted action bar?

A quick stop at a bonfire or a nice beer in a tavern.

But to just get a buff by walking past someone is a bit weird, but maybe plausible.

It can be a system that could work, like imagine your city with a lot of buffed people/aura's they have of buffs because of happiness from a good meal or whatever. That could affect the whole city like a slow plague of happiness.

• Options
    Not any weirder than when I randomly start changing people purple and into ogres and chickens while stroking my Wand of Many Things under the table. Who did that? Maybe that guy over there? Or was is the lizard by the fireplace? 
  • Options
    Fleelix said:
    Varkun said:

A quick stop at a bonfire or a nice beer in a tavern.

But to just get a buff by walking past someone is a bit weird, but maybe plausible.

It can be a system that could work, like imagine your city with a lot of buffed people/aura's they have of buffs because of happiness from a good meal or whatever. That could affect the whole city like a slow plague of happiness.

What I mean by buff spells that some classes may have that provide some sort of stat increase when they are cast, it may only last a few minutes. Not like a food or potion buff, I guess these type of longer lasting castable buffs have tended to vanish from more recent games.
    An example from above was the intelligence buff mages could cast in wow, you would see someone out in the world and just cast it on them to provide the buff for a while, just a friendly thing to do. 
  • Options
    Five minute buffs remind me of Shaman Totems and old Paladin blessings. Not particularly fun gameplay. But it would depend on the buff. Or maybe even a class based on buffs, rather than heal, I may give you dodge chances for x amount of seconds, or crit chances.

As far as buffing strangers goes. I always used to do it. But then again, I would be one of the people that would type /moo whenever I met someone (As a Tauren)
  • Options
    I hate those 2 minute buffs you're forced to use every time you do combat, just give me a passive instead. 
  • Options
    Elder said:
    I hate those 2 minute buffs you're forced to use every time you do combat, just give me a passive instead. 

Yes they can be tedious with such short durations.
  • Options
    I am all for drive by buffing/healing etc but in an flagging system the system needs to react accordingly and with as little opportunity to exploit as possible.  I hate it when you are having a good old fashioned duel and some goon starts buffing/healing one of you and ruins it. And you cant even attack said buffer. Or even better have your second go and waste em lol.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Mark Arrow /Marked shot   :Reduces physical damage reduction  ->Reduces magical damage reduction ->Increases duration

Marked Shot is one of the skills that Ranger has. It places a mark on a target that increases the damage they receive. You can see its second skill progression offers an increase in duration. 
    http://aocwiki.net/Ranger

I personally think we will see other buffs have a similar theme in which skill progression offers an opportunity for longer lasting buffs.
    OR
    Perhaps a skill progression that offers shorter lasting buffs which are more powerful.

I also believe augmentations may also offer diversity on the duration off buffs.

I'm very very very excited to learn more about buffing :o

P.S I moved you to Ashes of Creations Systems and Mechanics :3
  • Options
    @Diura Spoken like a true Bard ;) 
  • Options
    Buffing everyone I saw was one of my favourite things as a Druid in Wow.

I always found it very disappointing in other games when you could only buff those you were grouped with. 

I hope that buffing of anyone is possible, including NPCs, and that simply applying a buff does not flag you. Or that you would be only able to buff those of the same colour, that would be ok.
  • Options
    I'd go with being able to buff anyone if you are already flagged.

If you are green there are three options:

A - Can buff anyone, but it you buff a flagged person it auto flags you (I know part of people will have a problem with this, being careless who they buff and ending up flagged)

B - Can buff other greens. If you attempt to buff flagged person, your buff will fail. To buff a flagged person, you must first actively flag yourself, then you will be able to buff.

C - Can buff anyone (even flagged players) and remain green (Again, part of people will have problem with this considering this unfair).

As I see it option B is a compromise here.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    I'd go with being able to buff anyone if you are already flagged.

If you are green there are three options:

A - Can buff anyone, but it you buff a flagged person it auto flags you (I know part of people will have a problem with this, being careless who they buff and ending up flagged)

B - Can buff other greens. If you attempt to buff flagged person, your buff will fail. To buff a flagged person, you must first actively flag yourself, then you will be able to buff.

C - Can buff anyone (even flagged players) and remain green (Again, part of people will have problem with this considering this unfair).

As I see it option B is a compromise here.

I would agree you can buff anyone you like while you are flagged with no penalty. I think that option A is perhaps the most appropriate to my way of thinking, you buff someone who is flagged you become flagged, would also stop flagged people being buffed by their unflagged green friends.

Just my thoughts, good options though @Gothix
  • Options
    Another option here would be to allow unflagged to buff anyone, but if you're about to buff a flagged player then you would get a warning dialog.   This would allow you to accept and become flagged, if that's your intention, or decline if it was an accident.  In the case of AoE buffs/heals, the decline would only affect non flagged players.
  • Options
    But popups in the middle of game, specially if in middle of combat would be very annoying.

Much smoother experience is if you are just able to buff only unflagged people as unflagged yourself, and casting the buff on flagged would simply *miss* the target.

AoE buffing as unflagged would buff only unflagged in area, and flagged would be missed.

You still have the option to manually flag yourself if you wish to be able to buff flagged people.
  • Options
    True, but if you're not flagged then you're not likely to already be in combat.

Another option is to add a setting in options to work the way you want.  Then each player could decide for themselves.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    kronykus said:
    True, but if you're not flagged then you're not likely to already be in combat.

You could be, in combat with mobs. ;) It's a PvX game, PvP action will often happen while you are involved in PvE combat.

An example:

You and few of your buddies hunt bears, some other people there too killing bears and you are involved with several bears that you pulled. It's hard fight and you are struggling with staying alive or healing your friends, and in that moment you are attacked by someone wanting your loot.

Some of your friends, or nearby people engage this person. You quickly click AoE buff to buff your friends, and any nearby allies, but some were flagged.
    Poof you get annoying popup you must close while 3 bears were on you and you were moving away from them to stay alive. Popup screws you up and you get killed by bears (or by player).

You now end up hating popups. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The best option, in my opinion, would be through settings in the options menu.

Something like:
        _ Allow buffs to affect PvP flagged players (become flagged yourself)
        _ Allow heals to affect PvP flagged players (become flagged yourself)

Both being unchecked by default.  ( or just have a single buffs/heals setting instead of two separate )
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I think this is a pretty core question to how the mechanics of open world combat are going to be implemented. Healing is the bigger picture, but healing and buffing, are two sides of the same coin.

Traditionally in non-faction restricted games, the healing/buffing has been restricted to group/raid. While this has worked in the past, I would prefer a more dynamic system than that for Ashes.

We know that specific PvP zones will exist in areas such as sieges and caravans, where you can declare yourself for one side or the other, and effectively be grouped with a side. But what about for purely Open World PvP - which is where a large amount of interactions are going to take place.

The way AoE damage and heals/buffs affects players will be a really interesting topic to watch. 

What if you are chucking out AoE heals but you don't actually want those heals to apply to anyone outside your party? 
  • Options
    By the same token what is to prevent a flagged player simply standing in an aoe you cast to take damage and potentially flag you for "attacking them". It is a much larger issue than I imagined and one that will only be answered when we get to see what is put in place come alpha. At that stage we will be able to provide feedback and gain insight into IS thinking on it.
  • Options
    Yeah, and on other side it would be kind of dumb to see you cast fire AoE and players standing in it not taking damage...

Complete waste of realism, down the drain.