Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sieges & Siege Equipment

Oops sorry this shouldn't be in general discussion :|

On the Ashes Community Podcast #010 the speakers talked about sieges and some of the mechanics that may be involved, and it got me thinking on the subject more deeply and what some of the possibilities might be.

I am interested to hear others thoughts on the subject and I will throw down some of my own theories/ideas.

I think it is quite safe to assume that siege equipment will be crafted by players, will it be a specialization within one of the crafting professions say woodworking or will it require input from multiple professions for different components. Will different materials effect the quality of the siege equipment, or its range, hitting power, who will craft the different types of ammunition.

How many different types of siege engines will there be, catapults, rams, etc, can ammunition be magically created or enchanted for special effects, ammunition should be finite and need to be transported just like the siege equipment its self, how embarrassing if you didn't have enough ammunition to bring down those walls.

As touched on in the podcast imagine if siege equipment required a crew of 2 or more to use, or if not crewed properly fired at a much reduced rate. Could there actually be siege skills you could put points into to give some advantage to rate of fire, accuracy or damage done. How about supplies that need to be moved up to siege lines by caravan to keep the attack going. 

Then there is the magical support, we know summoners will be able to combine their efforts and summon up some sort of siege type creature, what other classes will be able to provide support through collective efforts and what form might they take.

Sieges are declared and there is then a lead up time before they start, but all of this siege equipment wont just magically appear at the city walls it will possibly have to be transported from the attacking node via caravan. This will throw open all sorts of pvp opportunities to try and destroy some caravans before they bring their cargoes to the city/town being attacked. Perhaps if a city was proactive enough they might be able to prevent a lot of the supplies siege equipment reaching its destination.

How about friendly fire for siege equipment, thus when your people are through a breach you will need to be very careful where you let fly or risk killing friend and foe alike. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement but boy would it add another exciting element.

I think that if some of the above ideas were in place it may serve to spread out the attackers, crews for your siege equipment, guards needed for supply caravans, summoners and others maintaining collective spells that will also require guarding, scouts needed to make sure there are no flanking forces out there. Then there is the front line those who will be first through the breach, slinging spells and missiles at the defenders on the walls.

Once you are inside the city/town what happens then, I would imagine the fight is far from over, there would be objectives that need to be captured, overrun or destroyed, not just a case of zerging down everyone inside. Say if there were important buildings that had to be captured and held and they all had to be held at the same time by the attackers and could be retaken by the defenders. The larger the settlement the more points that have to be held, and held for a set amount of time before the city falls. Though a system like that may favour the defenders who may be able to zerg up and take one point back, perhaps it might be best to destroy set buildings instead.

Quite a few thoughts and musings there shoot them down add to them or not, but the podcast really got me thinking.

Then there is always that dragon someone might be flying around on just to throw into the mix.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017

I hope to see that a guild can customize their dragon, to have maybe a group saddle on it for rangers and mages to join in on while the leader rides its.

• Options
    Moved to Systems and mechanics board for you <3
  • Options
    I want to be abble to participate in a siege and help striking somes walls, somes lost sheeps or just counter idiots that would come by sea to attack my land...

...WHITH MY BABYSHIP and it's very small firepower PEWPEW PEWPEWPEPWPEWPEPWPEW PEW PEW PWEPWE PWEWWWW.

yup I'm alright. Band the Knee,

I don't have a fking dragons but i have more firepower than any of them !
    I am not a mother and a queen, I'm a beast and imperator !
    I dont fear fire, not because it make me nothing but because i'm made of water !
    I dont have an army of noballs, i have a whole fleet with thousands cannonballs !

POPOPOOOOO !!!!

(my english is very limited, now I want to use it as signature so please PM me correction or more badass stuff i can say hehe)

(but still, i loved to defend castle near sea with my OP warship in AA, i wanna do same but in a larger scale here, and even be abble to attack them).
  • Options
    Thank you @Belewyn, as soon as I posted it I realised my mistake.

I have had some more thoughts concerning siege type spells that could possible be cast by groups of players.
              A group of necromancers could cast a spell that infuses the battlefield with necromantic magic that causes any enemy that is killed to rise as a zombie to attack its former allies. Does not have to be super strong just annoying enough that it has to be delt with, if multiple people die then multiple zombies.
              Druids may be able to cast weather altering effects as a group spell, make it rain to lessen the effects of fire, a lightning storm or hail over a large area effecting the battlefield making movement more difficult etc.
              Even your tank class may be able to preform some ritual that taps into their natural hardiness to make areas of the walls more resistant to siege damage.
              Mages may have to cast a ritual to uncover any spies that may be present in the city once a siege begins, I mean what is to stop enemies from infiltrating the city before a siege starts, or climbing the walls in an unprotected area. All manner of mayhem could be unleashed if a few enemies are within the walls while the main attack is going on elsewhere.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what other classes may be able to cast as siege spells?

• Options
    Siege devices for shooting at dragons.

• Options
    Well I saw a video with a seige weapon and the it looked really good but also looked traditional. How about

-magma elmentals shooting meteors, there are fire, ice, and regular earth elementals
    too

Instead of foot men have armoured bears, centuars, minotaurs

Wooly mammoths as rams knocking down gates.

-Having 5 mages get together to summon a swarm of insects  instead of archers or some other spell effect.  (that is five mages casting in unison to complete spell)

There are traditional chess sets then there are chess sets that have  different themes.
    most MMORPGs  have the traditional seige sets.  I would  to see a monster siege set.  But since it is a virtual reality.  We could have both and have a mix and match.

• Options
    Gothix said:
    Siege devices for shooting at dragons.

good luck with that