Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do you want a mini-map in Ashes of Creation?

So, I just stumbled upon this article on Kotaku:

Video Game Mini-Maps Might Finally Be Going Away

After reading through it, taking a look at the examples, I asked myself if this development (of minimaps going away) might be something that should "happen" in Ashes of Creation. For sure, there are pros and cons for both sides.

What do you guys think about the "mini-map" in MMORPGs, especially in AoC?

Note: "mini-map" refers to that small circle in the top-right corner of the screen, that we've seen during the PAX demo.

Comments

• Options
    I would like to have a map, but you have to fill it in by exploring and going to cities to pay for the map to be added too. That way you have a reason to explore, and you are not handheld at the same time. This also fits in with what steven was saying in the stream where quest can come from random people or taverns
  • Options
    With the last livestream and the comments on "Make Maps Great Again" you can be assured that mini-map is going to be a thing. The promise of full control of your ui customization will allow you to get rid of it, thus meeting your toggle requirement. The pvp brahs will whinge and moan, trying arguments like "it ruins immersion" to try and make it so they can sneak up on people, but will come to naught.
  • Options
    [...] The pvp brahs will whinge and moan, trying arguments like "it ruins immersion" [...]
    @UnknownSystemError I guess the PvP players are not the only once arguing. I can imagine many different play styles (RP, PvE, PvP, PvWhatever), taking the "immersion" part as an general argument.
  • Options
    @Herdo And you will be able to move, size, or remove it. The argument that is coming is so that they can ambush people with impunity and gank to their hearts content. I am not against consensual pvp, I am wholly against sneak and gank enabling.
  • Options
    I know that many simply can not get by without a mini map situated somewhere on their screen to guide them along. The game I have played for the past 3 and a half years has no mini map and honestly I have not missed it, I actually like to stop and look at my map, perhaps its an immersion thing for me.

I voted for a toggled map as I know many don't seem to be able to live without a mini map.

• Options
    If it was up to me there would not be any maps mini or otherwise 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    If there's going to be a level-cap, I want that journey to be hard.

EDIT: And Slow-Level Progression (・∀・)

Because I like a challenge. Being able to ❝toggle❞ the mini-map seems nice
     But ultimately that will conflict with the ❝ Prototype Cat-&-Mouse Bounty Hunting Feature ❞ ; their target of interest might be located on the mini-map ... As opposed to being displayed on mini-map, they can look at the environment around them and look for any visual queues of that persons whereabouts

This also is another reason why NamePlates should not be present - it'll  hover over Players' Head because it'll be too obvious. But this in itself is another story ... And depends on how that particular aspect is utilized

( The NamePlates' Font could be very small if far away + nonexistent if very close ... Including other methods )

Back to the point, its familiar to the QTE Bar U.I. being an eyesore ; players will be paying more attention to the Mini-Map as opposed to the Environment.

EDIT: I fixed this Post. Should make sense now >•<
  • Options
    Having a mini-map, for me, is mostly a quality of life issue. I have played games without them and I find myself opening and closing the main map again, and again, and again, and again, ad nauseum.

Toggle off the minimap if you don't want to see it - a compromise for everyone.

As long as the minimap won't contain big dots for each location of a gatherable resource, or other easy-mode aspects, I'll be more than happy with a small, localised mini-map.
  • Options
    Pretty sure there will be no marking of nodes in any way, you will have to learn what they look like and where how to find them. No sparking or marks on a map to find resources.
  • Options
    If no mini map at least a directional marker bare minimum. Personally I like minimaps and I don't think they detract from game play, they don't have to show any particular landmarks just a small area around you. I love the idea of finding parts of maps from vendors or exploring or questlines ect.
  • Options
     Voted other - I personally would like to see a mini map, however with the option of turning it on/off, that way everybody is happy .
  • Options
    Minimap is a must. And you all argue only about what it shows. Guess no one cares, if you see the roads/terrain, your arguments are only about PC/NPC display....
  • Options
    Personally, I don't see a need for a mini-map. With "making-maps-great-again", we'll hopefully get a very good real map. Those mini-maps don't provide any good benefit, as they only show the radius of 100m or so. For everything that's further away, we have to open the map anyway.
  • Options
    Minimap is kind of a 'quality of life' thing where you don't need to press M every 5 seconds. If there will be a map in the traditional way in the game then minimap should come with it. But if the map in the game will be limited, for example you can only see the map of the area in a tavern of a node level 4 or higher, then minimap shouldn't be there either.
  • Options
    It's either should be  "Yes, there should be a mini-map for everyone (can be toggled)" or "unlocking map by exploring it",

but not "No, there shouldn't be a mini-map".
  • Options
    Tbh I'd like it if there wasn't one, but we all know there will be one.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    It makes sense in areas that have already been settled by plenty of NPCs, but when it comes to more hidden areas it would make sense not to have one there because it might not have been heard of by a cartographer yet.
  • Options

I would like to see a mini map that can be toggled on and off, customized to size and making your own POI.   A map that starts out blank and fills as you travel the land.   Explorers traveled blindly making maps on the go.  So should we be able.  The land will change and so should we be able to change our maps.   
     Maps are going to be necessary when it comes to traveling to where the battles or our friends wait for our assistance.  I don't think maps should show every NPC foe or friend.

• Options
    I know we already have them but i'd prefer them not being included. It's another one of those things that gives you a mild advantage so you don't want to turn it off but clutters the screen. I'd prefer just a map and compass.  
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I know we already have them but i'd prefer them not being included. It's another one of those things that gives you a mild advantage so you don't want to turn it off but clutters the screen. I'd prefer just a map and compass.  
    @McStackerson Yeah, I really like the compass idea - mentioned also in the article. It feels somewhat cleaner, not overloaded etc. You just get directions. If you need more info, open up that damn map! ^^
  • Options
    If we will have maze based dungeons, it would be silly to have map or mini map there.

Some areas shouldn't have a mini map (or map for that matter).
  • Options
    I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I have to take a hard pass on mini-maps. I do think there should be crude maps found or purchased in game. I also think players should be able to make their own maps to sell or trade. travel should be done by experience, road signs and asking directions, not a constant map with icons and crap. Stop holding gamers' hands.
  • Options

[...] Stop holding gamers' hands.
    @Blind_Mouse That's it. We have the navigation skills, why waste them?
  • Options
    Mini map inside known areas. But if you venture forth through a dungeon, or an unmapped region. There should be no minimap, or map at all. If you want it unlocked, you'll need to buy a map from a cartographer.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

For those who think minimap will reveal more, than you could see with your eyes, I think it was already confirmed, fog of war will be present on map. So no reason to think it can't be on mini map as well.

http://aocwiki.net/Q&A_with_Steven_in_Discord_2017-05-22#.5B22:53.5D_Is_there_going_to_be_an_ingame_world_map_or_will_it_be_something_to_discover.3F

• Options
    Having a minimap toggleable kinda... Doesn't... Work, in my mind. For the fact that, if I so choose to have the minimap off - I lose out on information that a PvPer can use to find me. So realistically to be able to play to the best of my ability, I'd need it on, right? I mean. Black Desert Online's minimap can be toggled but I never heard of anyone who seriously played (IE, was going out and grinding, etc) who didn't have the minimap on when they did.

I'd personally prefer no minimap.. Makes it so I have to learn my way around instead of just looking at the top of the screen like I did in BDO most of the time.
  • Options
    @Flain that's assuming player positions would be marked on map / mini map, which I doubt they will be.
  • Options
    When i drive my car i also use my minimap, otherwise i get lost.. same goes for AOC
  • Options
    getting to know the area and possibly getting lost exploring new areas are something missing from modern mmo's.  I'd prefer they are not but its not a big deal if there is, would just prefer it is exactly what it says, a map, not a magic see things other then terrain around you map.
  • Options
    a solution to what you said chaogoesmu, is just the toggle option. if you prefer to get lost on the map you can, by toggling it off. for ppl that want to navigate easier, they can toggle it on :)