Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Artisan Theorycraft

Alright, I made a rough sketch of how I think crafting will work,
and I'd like feedback on it.
What seems wrong?
Is there something missing?
Something I've forgotten?
If you are interested, you can check out my article regarding crafting here.

Edit: Updated 8th of Nov
Edit: Updated 9th of Nov - Husbandry moved to Processing, boxed with Breeding
Edit: Updated 21st of Oct - Husbandry now has sub professions, cooking now has sub professions, added sailor, astronomer

Comments

• Options
    Needs more speculation.
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    Alright, I made a rough sketch of how I think crafting will work and I'd like feedback on it.
    What seems wrong?
    Is there something missing?
    Something I've forgotten?
    you seem to have most of the crafting classes here, but I think its a bit too basic in areas such as making a sword is not just about smelling the metal you also need to make the hilt and the pummel 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    nagash said:
    you seem to have most of the crafting classes here, but I think its a bit too basic in areas such as making a sword is not just about smelling the metal you also need to make the hilt and the pummel 
    Hence the "rough sketch" part :P 
    it's basically my 1st sketch of the overview xD
    Will expand on it when I have time~
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    nagash said:
    Hence the "rough sketch" part :P 
    it's basically my 1st sketch of the overview xD
    Will expand on it when I have time~
    it's still impressive without a doubt ^^
  • Options
    @nagash
    you said "you seem to have most of the crafting classes here"
    Which can you think of that I've missed? ^^ 
    If you know of any help me out here man~ xD
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    @nagash
    refining for better metals 
    gardening for plants 
    brewing for drinks
    rune working
    magic item creation 
    calligraphy

These are just some I've seen in other games that may be in ashes. As you can see they are like the ones you have but they take an extra step 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Wheres the cooking at?

Edit: NVM I found it.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Ziltch said:
    @nagash
    gardening for plants 
    brewing for drinks
    rune working
    magic item creation 
    calligraphy

These are just some I've seen in other games that may be in ashes. As you can see they are like the ones you have but they take an extra step 
    I think refining will be a part of smelting tbh
    Gardening is just farming isn't it?
    Haven't heard anything that even hints at the last 4 so won't add those personally :P 

• Options
    Ziltch said:
    nagash said:
    Ziltch said:
    @nagash
    gardening for plants 
    brewing for drinks
    rune working
    magic item creation 
    calligraphy

I think refining will be a part of smelting tbh
    Gardening is just farming isn't it?
    Haven't heard anything that even hints at the last 4 so won't add those personally :P 

thats fair ^^
  • Options
    You seem to cover many of the possibilities there both confirmed and speculation, perhaps shipwright might be a possibility or perhaps that is getting too specific.
  • Options
    brewing will probably be a thing since player owned taverns have been mentioned, also cant forget masonry (unless that is placed under engineering) since there will be houses to build and castles to repair. Could also add dungeoneering with all this talk about dungeons being more than a linear instance and having traps/puzzles.
  • Options
    A well done chart. @IntrepidStudios needs to have a look at it!
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    You seem to cover many of the possibilities there both confirmed and speculation, perhaps shipwright might be a possibility or perhaps that is getting too specific.
    I am thinking that is under Engineering :P 
    Chubaka said:
    brewing will probably be a thing since player owned taverns have been mentioned, also cant forget masonry (unless that is placed under engineering) since there will be houses to build and castles to repair. Could also add dungeoneering with all this talk about dungeons being more than a linear instance and having traps/puzzles.
    brewing will prob be a subsection under cooking imo, but that's a good point
    oh yeah, stonework is prob a thing too! forgot that aspect of mining! thanks! :D 
    I dont see how dungeoneering with be an Artisan art though :hmm:
  • Options
    id place dungeoneering under engineering i guess now that i think about it. also my bad, i got a little carried away and just started listing craft/trade/utility proficienies that i would expect instead of artisan specific things. throw brewing under alchemy.. gotta have potions makers :D
  • Options
    Yes stone working should be in there somewhere as stone will be a very important building material along with lumber plus other materials though in much smaller amounts. 
  • Options
    I've updated picture, adding what I'd forgotten and made it more orderly
  • Options
    Chubaka said:
    id place dungeoneering under engineering i guess now that i think about it. also my bad, i got a little carried away and just started listing craft/trade/utility proficienies that i would expect instead of artisan specific things. throw brewing under alchemy.. gotta have potions makers :D
    No, Brewing could very well be a subsection of cooking :P 
  • Options
    @Ziltch you forgot to include wood in weapon smithing (bows and staves). Also wood will be needed for engineering (construction of siege machinery).

Other than that, nice overview. :)
  • Options
    What about ships building ? :3
  • Options
    Jaikant said:
    Ah, yes. A shipwright! This can branch from woodcutter in the processing tab.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Gothix said:
    @Ziltch you forgot to include wood in weapon smithing (bows and staves). Also wood will be needed for engineering (construction of siege machinery).

Other than that, nice overview. :)
    True, thanks, tho I think that is a part of Carpentry tbh :P . But I am so unsure what will be in Engineering so I haven't added any at all, but you're right, should have added wood from the start :P Jaikant said:
    I count it under Engineering :P 

Edit: fixed them into the pic 
  • Options
    Just thinking, I would believe breeding and animal husbandry are pretty much the same thing. I mean, animal husbandry  is by definition selective animal breeding and caring for those creatures.
  • Options
    Sivanna said:
    Just thinking, I would believe breeding and animal husbandry are pretty much the same thing. I mean, animal husbandry  is by definition selective animal breeding and caring for those creatures.
    It might be, but tbh, considering how intricate breeding will be, I think it will be it's own part, and it needs to get the animals from somewhere, hence a process stage craft as it needs tamers.
    Could just as well be that animal husbandry is a processing craft, but personally I don't think they will be one and the same because of how big breeding itself will be :P 
    that's why I've separated them like that ^^
    I could be wrong tho :P 
  • Options
    @Ziltch In an early stream during kickstarter, they mentioned animal husbandry falling under processing, but it may have changed. I haven't been following the info as well these last few months.  I'm wondering if (and hoping) they will divide up breeding between types, for instance a pet breeder, mount breeder, livestock breeder. Then we could have specialty breeders! We already know each of those categories have a variety of creatures. But, as always, it's too early to tell.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Sivanna said:
    @Ziltch In an early stream during kickstarter, they mentioned animal husbandry falling under processing, but it may have changed. I haven't been following the info as well these last few months.  I'm wondering if (and hoping) they will divide up breeding between types, for instance a pet breeder, mount breeder, livestock breeder. Then we could have specialty breeders! We already know each of those categories have a variety of creatures. But, as always, it's too early to tell.
    Oh they did? I have not seen this source. If you could help me find it that would be swell! :D 
    Nvm, found it!
    Thanks yoooou @Sivanna :D
  • Options
    Explosives? Cannons? Ranged personal weapons? Poisons? Riding/cartpulling harness? Illusions? Weather devices?
  • Options
    @Ziltch "Gardening is just farming isn't it?"

Not necessarily. Gardening could involve the growing of plants and herbs to be used in alchemy or as an ingredient to be used in crafting other items. Farming suggests the growing of raw materials for food and drink or to be used in building materials, for example. 
  • Options
    Dartagnia said:
    @Ziltch "Gardening is just farming isn't it?"

Not necessarily. Gardening could involve the growing of plants and herbs to be used in alchemy or as an ingredient to be used in crafting other items. Farming suggests the growing of raw materials for food and drink or to be used in building materials, for example. 
    Well that's true. But for now I won't be adding it :P We've heard nothing that hints towards this as far as I know, and I have never seen it in any other MMO
    So for me it doesn't even reach 'red' status :P 
  • Options
    My mind is always about the mounts and animals, but what if leather working has a subset of saddler (a person who makes horse equipment).  Or perhaps its on its own, since it may require leather for saddles or maybe saddle bags, metal for armor, or cloth for barding. 
  • Options
    Sivanna said:
    My mind is always about the mounts and animals, but what if leather working has a subset of saddler (a person who makes horse equipment).  Or perhaps its on its own, since it may require leather for saddles or maybe saddle bags, metal for armor, or cloth for barding. 
    It's a interesting idea :) 
    But can't add it as there's even less of a hint towards that than red :hmm: