Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Can corrupted game play be a way of life in AOC?

124»

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Cons said:
    I do like the idea of your corruption being cleansed with your death by another player.  That means player killing groups would grow weaker and weaker until they too are slain.  Which would interrupt their operation.  Say their goal is robbing and killing a merchant run.  They would have to carry the robbed goods back in their weakened player state.  Making it easier for you to take back your stolen goods.

Caravans and other pvp objectives do not flag for corruption. If by merchant runs you mean travelling by yourself from town to town, then yes, the corruption mechanic would apply. Caravan spoils come in the form of certificates that can be redeemed for the value of the goods, not actual loot that has to be carried. It would be impossible for a group to kill and loot a caravan then carry off the goods since the inventory system is based on weight.

• The corruption system based on what I read so far prevents players to monopolize on  resource areas. I need more information on how resource gathering will be in this game to make a final judgement on this. Say for the sake of argument, players belonging to different guilds all converge in an area trying to gather mats, well you can't just kill people to get resources so your going to have to lay siege on the node? 

Even if you do, and you own the node, people still will trespass in your territory to gather those mats. So the mats are for everyone to share, there is no 2 ways about it. I'm guessing based on the level of the node, everything else levels like mobs and including the quality of the mats and treasures (gear / gold ) level up to.

Maybe the more lucrative way to find a cash of treasure is to raid caravans and loot its contents instead of going into an area that you know a certain plant grows but then find out that there is around 50 people trying to harvest it and since you cant just kill those people, and since there is a good chance you'll fall into the dark side you might as well wait for a caravan.

Depending on the rarity of the mats, maybe it is a gamble to kill that guy who's been harvesting it for hours on end in a certain area that only that particular material can be found. So say you do kill that guy that doesn't fight back and you collected a certain ingredient that you needed to craft something or to sell it for 50k gold. Would it be worth the corruption for a certain amount of time? 
  • I so hope raiding Caravans and Castles and engaging in a Siege are over the top more productive as far as challenge/resources go than just roaming about and killing gatherers.
  • Hold on Nagash... Valerian is the true necromancer

Joking aside really the only way to have the PK dbag lifestyle work is for a game with immense freedom and very very little rules. 

I think there will be plenty to encourage pvp gameplay but I have a hard time imagining you can really run monopolies or demand taxes for passing through a region in a themebox game. This would be more of a true sandbox thing.
  • My personal open world PvP actions are sometimes kind of annoying, but i have ever practice griefing. To me Ashes open world rules suits perfectly, because i am occasional ganker. I am fine with that i need to choose my few targets resource wise and stop there. Rest of my OWPvP actions will focus to bounty hunting and baiting. So my actions effects somehow equally to all kind of players.

But also i am going to try to get around with that corruption decreasion. I understand there is random respawning and that sure will make this problematic. At least i will calculate how much the corruption will decrease with one kill, but i am not going to even start to guess any numbers at this point. Lots of people are also going to gank with alts so it does not matter so much if you get some corruption. 
  • Like life the game will be what you make it.  People tend to find work-a-rounds for most everything. Especially when they are bound to bully or beat on someone else.
    Thieves and assassins are an example.  Where would they be if they didn't find a way to beat the system?   
  • it should be a hard way of life for skilled players. Any path a adventurer takes should be a way of life.