Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Names in AoC

Comments

• Options
    Let gay marriage be a thing in certain nodes which has been approved by the corresponding government.
  • Options
    Having a dedicated name and surname field tends to result in less annoying 'joke' names, and the ones that do still exist tend to be at least a bit wittier or more interesting (see: EvE Online).

For that reason especially, I, Ithirahad Ivrar'kiim, fully support this suggestion.
  • Options
    Yes this is amazing gives everyone more names 2 pick from and looks nicer.
  • Options
    Surnames are great only if you can hide them, if it's like in ffxiv where it's part of the characters name then I'd hate that, rather a swtor system where you choose a surname for your account and then can hide it whenever you want.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Can we have (@¥+"#☆■♤) in names so say if someone take name Kane you can use K@ne or to look cool like *Bob*/ ☆Ben☆ ?
  • Options
    What if I marry everyone? Can I combine the names together? =D
    Only if your Avatar is Mormon.  
  • Options
    Sw684 said:
    Can we have (@¥+"#☆■♤) in names so say if someone take name Kane you can use K@ne or to look cool like *Bob*/ ☆Ben☆ ?
    I hope we can't this always annoyed me really, I mean yeah it's a shame when your name is taken and so on but in games it's first come first served, if they allow symbols I'm going to see 30 different Bob players in the game.
  • Options
    I like the idea of there being a Genealogist NPC that you can go to and register a "Family Name" title. And as part of that you and anyone the 'head of the family' approves gains access to either your buildings, special chat, etc. That way it is almost like a guild with just social perks/aspects but no mechanical benefits.

The same NPC is used for marriages as well as traditional family ties. Maybe an item can be purchased that is the "wedding ring" or "family crest" that when traded to another player is used to place them in the 'family group.'

While I am not sure if it would be positive or just exploited but you could make it so that these 'family items' might provide a bonus if you are in a group with just family members (such as increased movement speed when travelling towards them, bonus healing, reduced CD on rez spells, basically things that promote you being of service to your family). Maybe as a way to make sure not everyone is loading up on those items just for their small bonuses you could have it where if someone with your "Family Name" committed a crime the fallout would apply to the whole family. For instance someone in your family attacks someone and thus aggro the guards they might come after you as well and you might have to fight them off or can pay them (like a bail/bond) so that they are no longer aggro. 

I think there could be some interesting RP created from this concept. Can you imagine if someone is just being a bother to the Family and gets 'disowned' and ejected by the Head of the Family because of their behavior? It might create a positive control to deal with players that behave poorly?
  • Options
    Sw684 said:
    I hope we can't this always annoyed me really, I mean yeah it's a shame when your name is taken and so on but in games it's first come first served, if they allow symbols I'm going to see 30 different Bob players in the game.
    Good point was  just a idea 
  • Options
    I love the idea of surnames as an option. I would like to see the options in the settings on players to hide the surname and for other players to also be able to hide names and surnames separately of other players. It would be a fun way to play hide and seek. It would also be neat if there was a way to start a timer for a group to have absolutely no name displayed and have suspenseful PvP. Oops I'm veering off topic, lol. 
  • Options
    Sw684 said:
    Sw684 said:
    Good point was  just a idea 
    Oh yeah I understand that, just giving my opinion on the matter really, you know like some people feel satisfied if they manage to get a certain name for their character (myself).
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the system SWtOR used by giving your account a "legacy" which was basically a last name that you could apply to all the characters on your account. 

I'd love to see this tweeked so anyone in your family or guild can have it if you choose. 

There's always going to be the names like Naruto and DonaldTrump, from people who don't get enough attention in real life, but this is just the downside to having an open naming system.

Plus there's just no better name than "Karthos"
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Nothing wrong with calling yourself Naruto really, if that's what you like go ahead, but yeah the system in SWTOR is really good the only downside is that all characters share this name unconditionally, so if possible I would like other characters to join other peoples 'legacies'.
  • Options
    Is there going to be any form of moderation of names? I get really sick of seeing offensive and racist names in every game I play. I know it's hard to catch all of them, but some games don't even try.
  • Options
    Kitzi said:
    Is there going to be any form of moderation of names? I get really sick of seeing offensive and racist names in every game I play. I know it's hard to catch all of them, but some games don't even try.
    I'm sure if someone reported them or if they spotted it they would take action, well I hope they would. Overtly sexual or racist terms would be bad in a game.

Steve seems like an honorable person and highly doubt he would allow such things.

• Options
    Dorje said:
    Kitzi said:
    I'm sure if someone reported them or if they spotted it they would take action, well I hope they would. Overtly sexual or racist terms would be bad in a game.

Steve seems like an honorable person and highly doubt he would allow such things.

I agree 100% 👍
  • Options
    What if I marry everyone? Can I combine the names together? =D
    I would hate to look at your name bar, it would stretch from one node to another. You might even get stuck between two trees.
  • Options
    First and last names is a must for a game of this caliber.
  • Options
    Having a family name that you could turn on/off would certainly bring that immersion factor. Could also tie quite nicely into the family system as well.
  • Options
    Falmin said:
    It is indeed a mmo’rpg’ but seeing a last name or family name constantly above my head would be upsetting. I typically go for one name names in games and to have to suddenly come up with a last name is irritating imo. 
  • Options
    Czar said:
    Falmin said:
    It is indeed a mmo’rpg’ but seeing a last name or family name constantly above my head would be upsetting. I typically go for one name names in games and to have to suddenly come up with a last name is irritating imo. 
    If there has to be last names at least let there be a toggle off option :expressionless:
  • Options
    Last names are going to be optional.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Great, are they shared across the account or are they individual for all the chars ? 
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Great, are they shared across the account or are they individual for all the chars ? 

As far as I know they haven't said.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    T-Elf said:
    T-Elf said:

As far as I know they haven't said.

Seriously hope they will be shared across account, a family tree system would be pretty cool to have ! :3
  • Options
    I would like the idea of being able to form clans attached to factions or guilds, like sub-groups, would kinda make it so a group could betray or move away from one group to another, or commit a civil war would help with player politics.
  • Options
    Well nodes themselves are in a way a big 'sub-group' or rather the guilds are, since all players can become citizens of nodes then the guilds located in those nodes would be like 'clans'
  • Options
    True that, I would like to see how that will play out and what we can do with it as players.
  • Options
    Well at the end of the day SWTOR has a good family/ legacy system. 

Going further it could be really cool if others could adopt your name in game both for RP and for other reasons as it would give people for to be proud of.
  • Options
    Sw684 said:

I dont hope so because i hate this Special singns in Names like they destroy a bit of the game you wouldnt Name yourself in real T@L0N or something like that too you would just write Talon so it should be ingame too or when ill see you with such an Name ill pronounce the singn in your Name xD T"ät"(@)l"zero"(0)n .... ok Now i like the idea xD