Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fishers' Delight - Let us talk fishing!

Haven't really seen much on fishing yet, so I figured that us fishing enthusiasts can discuss what we would like to see in-game.

To start, I hope we see a dynamic fishing system, like the ones found in Final Fantasy XI and XV. I hate when fishing is so simplistic that all you do is click a bobber and get a fish, I like it to be as engaging as a battle, a real struggle of predator and prey.

Additionally, I would love to see us able to fish up monsters while fishing off boats and peers. That could add more depth to it and a possible way to find rare ingredients and monsters. 

Comments

• Options
    Fishing with a net would be nice
  • Options
    I was talking to someone just last night about how I hoped Ashes had resources aquired at sea. 

Like whaling (maybe too controversial) or squid hunting, fishing. Anything to get the sea populated!
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I was talking to someone just last night about how I hoped Ashes had resources aquired at sea. 

Like whaling (maybe too controversial) or squid hunting, fishing. Anything to get the sea populated!

It's a game kill that whale we need more oil from its fat
  • Options
    Don't underestimate people with too much time on their hands and their desire to get offended...
  • Options
    It would get real old, real quick, if EVERY fish you catch is a titanic struggle.
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    It would get real old, real quick, if EVERY fish you catch is a titanic struggle.
    I agree, lets put the idea on ice.
  • Options
    I really like fishing in EsO there was a rare resource you could gain from that activity. I liked that and made a lot of gold from it.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Karthos said:
    Don't underestimate people with too much time on their hands and their desire to get offended...

Well maybe we shouldn't cater to people that get offended over stuff that doesn't matter... besides what if there is an over population of whales in varra? Not hunting them could cause their food supply to dwindle to the point of mass starvation of said whales.

Edit on a side note id love to Trolling as an option for fishing
  • Options
    @Crymoar Honestly, just clicking a bobber after 5 seconds is plenty boring already. Obviously, not all fish would be a struggle. As your skill improves, lesser fish become easier to catch. I just want something that makes leveling it up fun.

Fishing with a net would be nice
    Would be awesome to see different ways to fish! Like poles, nets, harpoons, etc.

• Options
    I've never understood the fascination with fishing in MMORPGs but if it makes you happy I'm all for a robust fishing system. Let's just not have fishing at to cost of mainstream play mechanics like fighting and moving. 👍
  • Options
    We need pygmy whale hunting.
  • Options
    I've never understood the fascination with fishing in MMORPGs but if it makes you happy I'm all for a robust fishing system. Let's just not have fishing at to cost of mainstream play mechanics like fighting and moving. 👍

For me it has to do with that I an no good at fishing in rl
  • Options
    @Cambiguous Just like fishing, unlike mining or herbalism, you never know what you are going to get.
  • Options
    The_Bitty said:
    I really like fishing in EsO there was a rare resource you could gain from that activity. I liked that and made a lot of gold from it.

Yes perfect roe it is called worth a lot of gold except it didn't come into the game until 12 to 18 months after release thus when I did all the fishing achievements the thousands of fish I caught were nothing more than vendor trash.

I expect that ashes will have more meaning to its fishing mini game than just a bunch of achievements, it would be nice if the fish did have more use as a commodity. There could be crafting related items that may come from fish that are caught plus other rare items that could be fished up. It is a fantasy world so many of the creatures we catch could be quite different from the humble fish.

There is quite a lot that could be done to give fishing far more meaning for those who enjoy it.
  • Options
    Potentially will be able to fish from the mobile app. 
  • Options
    I absolutely love fishing in MMO's - it's so relaxing, and has some fun and varied rewards.  An extremely interactive fishing system could be great! 
  • Options
    Fishing in MMORPGS is a weird one. You want it to be easy, repeatable and fun without having to put too much effort in. On the flipside, it gets really boring if its too simple. However, some people really enjoy systems like this. 

I think the best way to do fishing is something simple like a tension meter. 
    To accompany the meter comes various fishing equipment pieces. Each playing specific roles in the dynamic of the meter. 

Here is a short list of some potential fishing equipment.
    Rod- Quality slightly increases the ability to fight line tension (meter) - thus catching bigger and rarer fish. 
    Hook - Quality increases your immediate chance of hooking a bigger fish.
    Line - Quality reduces chance of line break. (Reduces red bar size)
    Bait - Type targets specific fish species.

LURES
    As another potential piece of equipment. Lures could be added to add an additional function to this system. 
    Lures could be cast and manually reeled in, the intention of this would be to provide an additional more hands on approach to fishing for players who want to spend the time. This would have to be competitive with standard fishing.

BAIT
    Bait could be something that is collected via an adjacent profession like Net Fishing, where you need to find schools of bait fish in rivers or beach side and collect them with a net. Bait could then be sold in player kiosks.

CRAFTING

I think a simple system like this could go a long way in keeping fishing interesting. It opens up the possibility for each of these items to be crafted by different professions. E.g. Woodworking for Rod, Tailoring for Line and Blacksmithing for Hooks. 

• Options
    Fishing in MMORPGS is a weird one. You want it to be easy, repeatable and fun without having to put too much effort in. On the flipside, it gets really boring if its too simple. However, some people really enjoy systems like this. 

I think the best way to do fishing is something simple like a tension meter. 
    To accompany the meter comes various fishing equipment pieces. Each playing specific roles in the dynamic of the meter. 

Here is a short list of some potential fishing equipment.
    Rod- Quality slightly increases the ability to fight line tension (meter) - thus catching bigger and rarer fish. 
    Hook - Quality increases your immediate chance of hooking a bigger fish.
    Line - Quality reduces chance of line break. (Reduces red bar size)
    Bait - Type targets specific fish species.

LURES
    As another potential piece of equipment. Lures could be added to add an additional function to this system. 
    Lures could be cast and manually reeled in, the intention of this would be to provide an additional more hands on approach to fishing for players who want to spend the time. This would have to be competitive with standard fishing.

BAIT
    Bait could be something that is collected via an adjacent profession like Net Fishing, where you need to find schools of bait fish in rivers or beach side and collect them with a net. Bait could then be sold in player kiosks.

CRAFTING

I think a simple system like this could go a long way in keeping fishing interesting. It opens up the possibility for each of these items to be crafted by different professions. E.g. Woodworking for Rod, Tailoring for Line and Blacksmithing for Hooks. 

the simpliest and best system i think :)
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fishing system in ArcheAge. That game offers two types of fishing: casual side-of-the-dock, bait fishing with worms; and sport fishing out at sea.

Sport fishing is where it's at in AA. It involves a mini-game that requires you to locate a fishing hole at sea either manually by sight (gulls circling a spot) or by using a Fish Finder mounted on a fishing boat. If you find a fishing hole, you then have to throw chum in the water and then cast a lure into the ensuing feeding frenzy. If a fish bites, it then tries to get away and takes various actions (swims left, swims right, swims out to sea, under your boat, jumps in the air), while you respond in real time to the fish's actions. You have a certain amount of time to catch the fish by taking reactive actions to its every move before it gets away. 

If you have a fishing boat, you can store up to 5 fish in your fish tank, or 7 if you catch two that are large enough to haul on your built-in fishing crane at the back of the boat. You can also carry 1 on your back. You then take the fish to a fish stand and sell them for gold. Neat system, I'd like to see something akin to this, with improvements (please no activity throttling labor requirements).
  • Options

• Options

Ok here I my 2 cents on fishing. I would like to see different levels of it, for example:

Level 1 beginners pole - The starting level for all fishing, you might pull up junk, you might pull up treasure, but you will get different types of small fish here.

Level 2 skilled pole - Here you get the better poles to use, and you have a high skill level. You can get larger fish at this level, and maybe some nice prises too.

Level 3 small boat fishing - a small row boat, you can do more pole fishing from here, or cast your net to bring in more fish, or maybe something more that you don't want to drag up from the deep.

Level 4 Medium boat fishing - You can bring your friends along now, your choice of pole fishing or net fish here. High risks, with higher rewards.

Level 5 Ship fishing - Now your playing with the big boys, your going after large amounts of fish, crabs, or whatever your looking to get. Now your dropping traps, but what are you dragging up from the deep?

Level 6 Master fisherman - You after the very big stuff now, and at the same time it's after you. From the white whales, to a sea kraken or two. You finding everything under the sea at this level.

That's my 2 cents. If your going to fish, make it an adventure. hehe

• Options
    Duninn said:
    Haven't really seen much on fishing yet, so I figured that us fishing enthusiasts can discuss what we would like to see in-game.

To start, I hope we see a dynamic fishing system, like the ones found in Final Fantasy XI and XV. I hate when fishing is so simplistic that all you do is click a bobber and get a fish, I like it to be as engaging as a battle, a real struggle of predator and prey.

Additionally, I would love to see us able to fish up monsters while fishing off boats and peers. That could add more depth to it and a possible way to find rare ingredients and monsters. 
    I love fishing! My old WoW guild was a "Creative fishing and raiding guild"  xD Oh Phöenix, how I miss thee.
  • Options
    I'd do fishing if they had a Master Baiter title.

One can only dream.
  • Options
    Like the ideas coming out, and I agree, it's hard to find the sweet spot that is between boring and discouraging. But I love fishing, and I am sure it only helps to voice our opinions on the matter.
  • Options
    Duninn said:
    Like the ideas coming out, and I agree, it's hard to find the sweet spot that is between boring and discouraging. But I love fishing, and I am sure it only helps to voice our opinions on the matter.
    Is that not the point?
    Fishing in WoW was, by all standards boring. But it was amazing doing fishing competitions with my guild. And it was equally cool if you do it for the same reasons you'd do it irl.

Let's be honest, most people find fishing irl boring. And I mean the sitting at the side of a canal, or lake, or whatever. And casting your fishing rod into the water. The reason you go there, is to just get away from it all, feel a little one with nature. It's relaxing. And, when you fish with someone else, it can be fun, despite the action itself being boring.

Ashes will be a beautiful game, follow that creek and go to new places, and sit there, fishing, taking in the sights. Bring a friend along (voice chat which is confirmed would be amazing here) and just talk, tell stories.

I do not believe that all professions should be based on "fun" 
    As boring as it is. WoW's fishing comes quite close to real life fishing, in the way it feels. Especially the way it used to feel, when the channel was long.
  • Options
    WoW fishing was just a little too simplistic and boring for me. I liked the fishing in ESO. It was a little more complex but still mindless enough to be able to relax and fish while watching some throwaway TV. 

Not everything should be dynamic and complex just for the sake of it but it should be fun. Everything should be fun. Well maybe more enjoyable than actually fun.
  • Options
    Anyone here with "Salty" title in wow? to join the club of fishes xD
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    If there are narwhals i will fish :p but seriously i like the idea of involved fishing. My kiddo had an idea of a VR fishing game that would share inventory and send caught fish to your live well in game it was pretty interesting idea i thought. i dont think its something we would see but its definitely a creative take on including VR in MMOs in the future that could make crafting, fishing, farming or husbandy much more involved kind of like mini games. of course i wouldnt want the apps to cost money but access to come with the game account but a lot of games would probably charge for their crafting apps... 1.99 to learn blacksmithing kinda thing
  • Options

Some things I would like to see Fishing incorporate in Ashes:

Pools

I would like to only be able to fish in spawn locations – Pools – not just in any random piece of water. This is to promote players moving around between locations to catch fish, but also to limit the ability of bots to just sit in one place and fish indefinitely.

Spawn Timing

I would like for certain fish to be available at certain times of day or night. Certain fish pools would only appear at night.

Water Typing

I would like for there to be various types of pools spawn in different locations – rivers, lakes, coastal, deep water. Different fish would spawn in each location.

Bait

I would like to see bait be necessary to catch any kind of fish. You simply cannot cast if you do not have bait. Bait would be specific to a type of pool so there would be an economy in bait as well. If you used the right bait for the right pool type it would provide a base chance of 80% to catch a fish. Using the wrong bait would only provide a 30% chance.

On any successful cast there is a 10% chance of also gaining Bait Scraps (using the wrong bait will, on an unsuccessful cast, also provide you with Bait Scraps). You can combine 10 Bait Scraps to produce a Chum. Chum can be thrown into an active pool to provide 5-10 extra fish to the pool. A pool can only be extended a single time through the use of Chum.

Catch Mechanic

I would like to see a QTE similar in style to the one shown for combat during PAX. This mechanic would work very well for fishing, but it must not be based on speed. The sweet spot would grow depending on a number of factors (fishing skill, pole, lure, bait) and the timer bar would move at a medium speed through this. The last thing I would like to see is a skill-based quick-speed bar that would penalize low ping players. Fishing should not be stressful.

Hitting this sweet spot would guarantee a catch and would also provide a 5% chance for a special effect: double fish catch, rare fish catch, flotsam (various trade goods).

So you could never bother with the catch mechanic but the best catch chance would be 90% and you would never encounter a special effect.

Accessories

I would like to see a wide variety of fishing accessories that can be crafted by players: fishing poles, lures, fish bags. These items would increase your base chance to catch a fish. With all the best buffs, the base catch chance would be 90%. They would each also provide an equal percentage increase to the special effect catch chance.

Special Fish

I would like there to be special fish able to be caught in each type of pool that would provide a better effect when used in recipes. If there are to be achievements (who am I kidding?) then there would be an achievement for catching all the special fish and the reward could be a cool fishing hat – and I mean a cool one, not a goober joke one.

Some of these ideas may seem familiar to some. They are basically an amalgam from what I thought the best aspects of all the MMO fishing systems I have encountered, peppered with a few musings of my own.

As @Jemini-Kricket said, fishing needs to be at least enjoyable. I don’t want it to be like PvP combat with fish, but I don’t want it to be completely mindless either.

Hopefully we’ll get a nice balance of complex, relaxing and enjoyable.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    @Bajjer

The pools sound like a horrible to solution to the opposed problem. You can easily make it more natural, if you fish in any place for too long, the fish will move away. And you may not even catch any fish at the spot you pick. Forcing you to move too.

And regarding the catch mechanic. You should never have a 100 percent chance to catch anything. 
    Also how do you propose the fishing itself works? A channel of x amount of seconds? Something indefinite? Only if it's indefinite would 100 percent catch rate be appropriate.