Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Guild Bank in AoC..........here is an idea.

I know in other games, the Guild Bank is mainly something used by it's members. But I have an idea on expanding on how it's used.

How about this:

1. There is an option to have a public holding within a guild bank, for people that are outside of the guild. This option will only open up in level 5 and 6 towns.

2. You can store items in these banks being a non-member, and your changed a small fee for it's use.

3. You can get a small loan from a guild bank, and you pay back the loan after the set time to pay, with a fee on top.

4. You can get a big loan for a freehold from a Guild bank. Again paid back after a set amount of time.

5. Guild banks can give loans to the bigger cities, to help with whatever is needed, of course fee and interest do apply.

6. Guild banks can give loans to help raise a siege army, again to be paid back with interest.

It's an idea only, mainly to address the guilds that want to play the role of economic power within the game, and give them the tools to do it. Just so you know there will be nothing to stop them from playing this role, this is only to make it easier to do that role.

Your Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I hope they do away with them all together. The **** and raided guild bank has been the downfall of many a guild in the past. They used to serve a purpose in allowing people a central clearinghouse to put assets into that weren't easily shared, but with the "just mail it to me" option now, doesn't really seem to be a point. You either have to put so many restrictions on who can access it that it is useless, or you open it up and then people get pissed off at the other guy who took that 100 wood they had their eye on. Since the game is not going to be some f2p/p2w bastardization where we need to pay extra for storage and 99% of gear will not be soulbound or boe allowing guild members to pass on hand-me-down gear to lower level alts and guildmates if so desired. Taxes from the node are going to be in place to fund defense of the node and city improvements. If my node needs more, then it isn't being managed right. Throwing some guild tax on top of that to fill the coffers that someone else can use as their personal piggybank is a non-starter. Node taxes CANNOT be withdrawn by the mayor, they can only be spent on defense and upgrades, and from the latest blog, apparently node war bounties.(Sure to change once people realize that you could just have two nodes farm each others bounties to get the money out of the tax system and into the player system.)
  • Options
    I hope they do away with them all together. The **** and raided guild bank has been the downfall of many a guild in the past. They used to serve a purpose in allowing people a central clearinghouse to put assets into that weren't easily shared, but with the "just mail it to me" option now, doesn't really seem to be a point. You either have to put so many restrictions on who can access it that it is useless, or you open it up and then people get pissed off at the other guy who took that 100 wood they had their eye on. Since the game is not going to be some f2p/p2w bastardization where we need to pay extra for storage and 99% of gear will not be soulbound or boe allowing guild members to pass on hand-me-down gear to lower level alts and guildmates if so desired. Taxes from the node are going to be in place to fund defense of the node and city improvements. If my node needs more, then it isn't being managed right. Throwing some guild tax on top of that to fill the coffers that someone else can use as their personal piggybank is a non-starter. Node taxes CANNOT be withdrawn by the mayor, they can only be spent on defense and upgrades, and from the latest blog, apparently node war bounties.(Sure to change once people realize that you could just have two nodes farm each others bounties to get the money out of the tax system and into the player system.)

Yes I know about past issues with guild banking of it's membership, but the idea given was for a guild to run a banking system. Really two different things all together.

1. You have the Mayor of the town pick buildings to setup, maybe this mayor is part of Guild A, so they have a little control over the way the town is setup.

2. If the guild wants control of the banking system of the town, you have the mayor who is part of said Guild, and they in turn control what is happening with the bank.

3. The bank will charge you a fee for extra storage, a fee on loans, and a fee with interest on Freeholds or Homes you want to buy quickly.

So when I am specking of the guild control, it's thought the person they setup as Mayor of the town/ City, and in turn they will control that town/ city. So why not have one of the systems, Banking, Be a Guild Control option. No matter if it's direct control, or one done through the Mayor. They will have a say in it. That is if the DEVs puts that type of power into the Guild or Mayors hands.

It will be a banking system like you would normally get, but it will be base on what the town leadership wants to do with it. They should set the rules to what the town is doing. But I was thinking outside the box a little with guilds being the power behind the banking system as a whole, those that want to run a money/ economic type system. Think Game of Thrones, and the Iron Bank. They would loan money out to others, this was there way to control what was happening in the world.

Yes I know Cons vs Pro with this idea, it has not been done on a gaming level. But I can still see some version of this going on within AoC, if the DEVs make it easy to do or not. The money will flow, and it will follow the strong guilds at the end of the day.

• Options
    Kratz said:

Funny thing Kratz, The Guild leader of that guild wants me to join them. I didn't give an answer yet.
  • Options
    @Granthor
    Xeb is solid dude, should talk to him seeing as your interested in banking. 

@UnknownSystemError
    I feel your pain. You're quite right in regards to guild banks in most MMO's being next to useless, but if i may i'd like to add a few caveats. 1) Steven was an old GM (guild master) from previous games and as such knows all the benefits and shortfalls regarding this and as such will most likely do everything he can to make guild management as fluid and flexible as possible. 2) With the first point being made, I think a "in-house" guild DKP system basically fixes that. As long as it's pretty intuitive and you have savy guild officers/managers then you will be able to avoid some of the issue you mentioned. 
  • Options
    @Guildart I agree with your #1 and disagree with your #2
    1. We know that they plan an extensive guild management system. Part of trying to regain the nostalgia from those days will be him giving people the tools to do that. We also have his statements that upon launch he will NOT be running a guild in game, and his intention is to wander the game as an unknown. Very few people will be in the loop as to his character name. Think of it as a permanent Undercover Boss video. Though I don't know how effective he will be at masking his voice in the voip when grouped with others. Here is a fun link to his guild stuff.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQQmahflej8

2. We know that there are going to be multiple loot scenarios available to groups and guilds. In my opinion and many others DKP is one of the most abused and corruptible out there. Any guild that utilizes some sort of "in-house" guild DKP system will not have me as a member. "Other flaws with a bidding system are the animosity it may create between members or alliances between cliques within the guild itself. Situations where members may forge agreements to inflate the bid on an item due to discontent for a potential member bidding, or "pacts" to not bid higher than a certain DKP value in order to artificially deflate the items DKP value come to mind."
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Creating_a_DKP_system
    And another that goes into depth about the guild killing properties of DKP.
    https://timhowgego.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/virtual-worlds-serious-work-and-collaboration-for-dkp/

• Options

2. We know that there are going to be multiple loot scenarios available to groups and guilds. In my opinion and many others DKP is one of the most abused and corruptible out there. Any guild that utilizes some sort of "in-house" guild DKP system will not have me as a member. "Other flaws with a bidding system are the animosity it may create between members or alliances between cliques within the guild itself. Situations where members may forge agreements to inflate the bid on an item due to discontent for a potential member bidding, or "pacts" to not bid higher than a certain DKP value in order to artificially deflate the items DKP value come to mind."
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Creating_a_DKP_system
    And another that goes into depth about the guild killing properties of DKP.
    https://timhowgego.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/virtual-worlds-serious-work-and-collaboration-for-dkp/

Read the wiki, and the article. 

You've proposed why the DKP system is flawed (and i'm not disagreeing that it can be corrupted), but i'd like to know how you would go about loot distribution (and please expand beyond immediate pug groups for raids). 
  • Options
    I am all for making it totally random in group situations. Not need/greed, since we know that anyone will be able to use any item, just at lower levels of effectiveness. Not DKP for the above mentioned reasons related to player control. Not individual loot as I feel that it just kills the community aspect. Just random every time something drops. Since we know there is going to be miniscule soulbound/bop/boe loot, if someone was to win something that another person in the group "must have", then they can negotiate over trading it. Remove the human element from the decision of who initially gets the loot. That way there is no loot ninja. Everyone has an equal chance while grouped for what may drop. Just because your buddy has been waiting for weeks for this particular drop, doesn't mean that you have power to skew results to make sure he gets it. Would remove the "lootmaster" option. Would see none of this "8-man run of HauntedMines, mount reserved." in either zone chat, guildchat, or on the tavern job boards. "But, but, but, that rewards filthy casuals just as much as me the hardcore!" Yep, you rolls the dice, you take your chances, just like everyone else. I know this has veered off of the OPs topic, but I was asked to muse upon my personal view.
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError
    Maybe I wasn't clear from my earlier post. I don't think what you've stated are mutually exclusive. Having a in-house DKP system doesn't mean that you also can't have a "random" drop selected in your dungeons/raids. They should have options for random, need/greed, ect... depending on the party desires. 

What i'm talking about is surplus/not-wanted items. Imagine a dungeon drops some realitivly decent gear that is below the level of raid group. Well instead of throwing it onto the market they could (if they want) throw it into the guild bank. They get a certain DKP and are able to buy things that they need from the guild bank (maybe potions, consumables ect..) for "cheaper" then the market price. Those players who are crafters in the guild or don't have the time to do dungeons are able to purchase "cheaper" gear because of the generosity of the raiders. It's a give-take system that helps both ends if done properly. This doesn't only apply to gear, but also raw material that may be dropped in dungeons.