Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Black Desert online things we want and don’t.

ok so I have to put this out there.  I’m so in love with the visuals of BDO!  I am hoping that with the unreal4 engine we could have AoC look even better. (Not sure if that’s possible) That I want.  What I don’t want is all the RNG crap.  I hate hate hate RNG.  If I want a certain item I’d rather do an elaborate month long quest then grind the same mob over and over for a 1% chance at a drop. And then never getting it!

Comments

• I think you forgot a few zeros before the 1
  • RNG is sadly a terrible necessity in mmos. When you have player selling and want to limit the availibity of items to provide progression its just a sad necessity that RNG has to be included.

That being said, black dessert (indeed most korean mmos) include the most sadistic form of RNG as an incentive to pay real life money for more RNG chance. This model is so predatory that I find it disgusting. The only pay gateway in a game should be the disk you buy and a subscription to keep using the active servers. Cosmetics and fun things are fine to but any amount of pay2win opens the door to the game being subtley (or blatantly) warped to fit that model and earn more money.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    BDO's Engine was custom-made. So its truly one of its Kind. Sadly, visuals aren't the only thing about an MMO

{ insert (many) reasons why i don play it }

In short, i don't see a point in comparing BDO to Ashes of Creation . The only thing that   "might" be similar to BDO is the Character Creation and thats it. Combat is still in question, but we'll see how things have unravel with their
     Hybrid Action-Combat & Tab-targeting  ... in Alpha 0, Alpha 1 or Alpha 2

• I just hope aoc wont limit me on the type of keys i can use for my keybinds like bdo does, so i dont need to go crazy with dozens of ahk scripts again..
  • I am interested in being able to see and play for myself.  I kinda found out about this game really late so I’m catching up on everything like combat. I hear what your saying but one has to admit having beautiful visuals from combos to magic attacks can make grinding a ton less boring!
  • I’m also curious to see how it progresses to launch!
    edited November 2017
    ok so I have to put this out there.  I’m so in love with the visuals of BDO!  I am hoping that with the unreal4 engine we could have AoC look even better. (Not sure if that’s possible) That I want.  What I don’t want is all the RNG crap.  I hate hate hate RNG.  If I want a certain item I’d rather do an elaborate month long quest then grind the same mob over and over for a 1% chance at a drop. And then never getting it!
    I am sure it will look great. But if I had to put game play and looks on a scale Game > Looks every time. But I would prefer to have my cake and eat it too if possible.

RNG is a part of MMORPG but there will probably be somethings that fall to RNG, somethings that are set. There will probably be both elements in the game tho probably more RNG factor when it comes to loot.

It won't be Pay to Win or cash grab :) For that you should be ecstatic.

Grinding should be engaging and not boring if done right :) You can have good grinds and bad grinds in the game.

Check out Ashes of Creation - Known Information for a quick catch up in one location and there are some good resource links in my Signature. 

• Honestly the less ashes has to do with BDO the better it will be.  BDO is everything wrong with the MMO market.  It heavily incentives pure time spent in game with power that cannot be bested by skill or numbers.  RNG is the almighty god in this game and even players that have spent months can see all their silver go to naught on one failed PEN (highest level enchant) attempt.  Ya...  The game itself is so newb unfriendly ( good lucky trying to fight anyone who was in beta unless they stop leveling at 62 for about six months of constant grinding upon starting) and its combat so simplistic ( prepare to use the same three flashy skills every fight while auto using potions of three types) it is literally hillarious from any pvp stand point.

• Even the mindless grinding in BDO is only liked simply because of its visuals and action combat.  But anyone who actually steps back and looks at the combat from an outside viewpoint will quickly tie into the biggest fault in there engine.  Its shiny to hide the gaping holes in its design.  

Each character has a large set of skills, some add on to accuracy and damage at far higher levels and provide guard level (protection in the form of highly reduced damage, some only in front or 360 degree).  These skills will be spammed.  Almost all classes attack in varying types of AOE.  there is no incentive for skill in pvp, most players who believed themselves to be skilled are heavily reliant on equipment.  Very few ingame actually understand combat and fewer still are good on one character let alone multiple types.  Balance is a joke.  Some classes are so godlike and newly released ones are not patched for weeks allowing them to steamroll competition with little to no counterplay.

Good pvp and balance (while a difficult goal) is far more important than shiny visuals.  Shiny visuals will maintain a mediocre population.  Good combat and multiple viable classes in an open pvp world that incentives both PVE centric players and PVP ones will hold a huge population far longer
  • Something AoC could "steal" from BDO is character creation and combat. The rest of BDO is kinda mediocre, nothing special.
  • Ashes will have its own feel to it that will be unique to itself, hopefully it just doesn't feel clunky. 
  • I left BDO when after several attempts at breeding, my foals  were 2 tiers under my maxed out pair(s)! And those couldn't' even be sold for a decent price. I am all for some level of RNG, but putting weeks into something to get such a bad result is disheartening and made the profession worthless. It was easier to farm the gold to buy a high tier horse with desired skills. 

But it I did like that you had to invest some time to "train" your mount.
  • I'm here because they are 100% not making a PTW game. I imagine I'm not alone with that 
  • There is a congruousness and sophistication with the landscapes designs that extends through to the city layouts and buildings in Black Desert.

This comes from trained building architects and perhaps even landscape architects/designers being involved and working hand in hand through the artists design process.

A similar level of expertise in creating worlds can be seen in the Assassin Creed series. Where a typology and style was established and skillfully pieced together to create a believable world.

Historical reference helped immensely for both of these.

Whilst the style intended for this game is high fantasy, which is not an established real world style, if artists alone are used on this project then the end result will not shine to the full potential.

I would highly recommend bringing in landscape and building architects to help bring sense to the typologies used,create a congerousness of the city planning, layout strategies, massings, path finding, and semiotics to name a few! 

• That’s an excellent point! I do notice that a lot in BDO. The way everything flows into another. It’s hard to explain, the roads, the buildings etc. I get it and won’t try to say again what you so eloquently said already! It just looks real. In a totally fantasy way, but things can still look real and be fantastically right??? Maybe 
  • Sivanna said:
    I left BDO when after several attempts at breeding, my foals  were 2 tiers under my maxed out pair(s)! And those couldn't' even be sold for a decent price. I am all for some level of RNG, but putting weeks into something to get such a bad result is disheartening and made the profession worthless. It was easier to farm the gold to buy a high tier horse with desired skills. 

But it I did like that you had to invest some time to "train" your mount.
    RNG sucks bro, I with it could be done away with completely 
  • FliP said:
    Something AoC could "steal" from BDO is character creation and combat. The rest of BDO is kinda mediocre, nothing special.
    I think I’ve heard character Creation will be as in-depth! But combat in AoC has looked a little lacking... I understand it’s pre alpha, just being honest. 
  • Dissodant said:
    Even the mindless grinding in BDO is only liked simply because of its visuals and action combat.  But anyone who actually steps back and looks at the combat from an outside viewpoint will quickly tie into the biggest fault in there engine.  Its shiny to hide the gaping holes in its design.  

Each character has a large set of skills, some add on to accuracy and damage at far higher levels and provide guard level (protection in the form of highly reduced damage, some only in front or 360 degree).  These skills will be spammed.  Almost all classes attack in varying types of AOE.  there is no incentive for skill in pvp, most players who believed themselves to be skilled are heavily reliant on equipment.  Very few ingame actually understand combat and fewer still are good on one character let alone multiple types.  Balance is a joke.  Some classes are so godlike and newly released ones are not patched for weeks allowing them to steamroll competition with little to no counterplay.

Good pvp and balance (while a difficult goal) is far more important than shiny visuals.  Shiny visuals will maintain a mediocre population.  Good combat and multiple viable classes in an open pvp world that incentives both PVE centric players and PVP ones will hold a huge population far longer

Dissodant said:
    Even the mindless grinding in BDO is only liked simply because of its visuals and action combat.  But anyone who actually steps back and looks at the combat from an outside viewpoint will quickly tie into the biggest fault in there engine.  Its shiny to hide the gaping holes in its design.  

But u wouldn’t play a game that looks like crap just cause it had good mechanics either right?
    edited November 2017
    But u wouldn’t play a game that looks like crap just cause it had good mechanics either right?
    You would be surprised just how many people are playing EQ1 waiting for a decent MMO with good mechanics. I think the graphics in this game will be good enough to satisfy most people.

The big question and hopes is that they will be able to follow through on all the proposed mechanics so far and there is a lot. 

I think they will follow through with enough graphics and game play to be much better than most MMORPG out there.

• I want nothing from BDO NOTHING !!!!
  • I love the way BDO looks however it has a very "eastern" look so nope, dont want to see anything from it really aside from character customization and even that should be cut a bit so we cant make anything like purple elves when they aren't supposed to be like that.
    edited November 2017
    I love the way BDO looks however it has a very "eastern" look so nope, dont want to see anything from it really aside from character customization and even that should be cut a bit so we cant make anything like purple elves when they aren't supposed to be like that.
    @AutumnLeaf  Elves aren't supposed to be purple? Says who :P Drow Elves  :) Drizzt Do'Urden
    Drows are often depicted in various skin tones, ranging from light to dark, Obsidian and at times tints of blue and violet. There are so many kinds of elves and skin tones. 

But yeah maybe not too much of the cartoonish colors, I think I would prefer slightly realism along with the fantasy not quite anime. Maybe a more realistic light to dark tints of Green, Purple, Blue, Yellow, could be good if it isnt to exaggerated.

So I come a bit midway from your viewpoint.

• LoL! I say go over the top! Teal Elves go for it. As for Eastern look... u mean characters or houses or vistas? I’m not sure what you mean but I think they all look great. You can make a Caucasian or AfroAmerican toon so I’m not sure what you mean.
  • Please no P2W! Please no P2W! lol
  • They already stated that the game will not be P2W at all.
  • Dorje said:
    I love the way BDO looks however it has a very "eastern" look so nope, dont want to see anything from it really aside from character customization and even that should be cut a bit so we cant make anything like purple elves when they aren't supposed to be like that.
    @AutumnLeaf  Elves aren't supposed to be purple? Says who :P Drow Elves  :) Drizzt Do'Urden
    Drows are often depicted in various skin tones, ranging from light to dark, Obsidian and at times tints of blue and violet. There are so many kinds of elves and skin tones. 

But yeah maybe not too much of the cartoonish colors, I think I would prefer slightly realism along with the fantasy not quite anime. Maybe a more realistic light to dark tints of Green, Purple, Blue, Yellow, could be good if it isnt to exaggerated.

So I come a bit midway from your viewpoint.

Ah that's not what I meant, what I mean is lore wise there is no saying that these elves have/had purple skin. I am aware that there are many races in different fictional worlds like this but I was referring to the fact that in Ashes unless they state that such elves had appeared in the past or maybe are a rare mutation I don't think that it would be very appealing to have them.
    edited November 2017
    Dissodant said:

Dissodant said:

I played UO for years before the age of shadows update to diablo esque levels of combat (IE number games, gear mattered wayyyyy to much in combat) and continued to play UO on free servers even when better games and other MMOs were available (look into In Por Ylem free servers both 1 and 2 versions) simply because combat in those games was balanced, everyone had access to all of the same skills and both PVE and PVP had actual use ingame.

Substance is faarrrr more important than just shiny graphics.  especially in a game in which they talk about large scale combat and sieges.  Not one person in those instances will be playing with higher graphic fidelity unless they are running a literal beast of a computer
  • Ah that's not what I meant, what I mean is lore wise there is no saying that these elves have/had purple skin. I am aware that there are many races in different fictional worlds like this but I was referring to the fact that in Ashes unless they state that such elves had appeared in the past or maybe are a rare mutation I don't think that it would be very appealing to have them.
    It's why I started it out with a :P meant to be in fun slightly joking. :) I'm in partial agreement with you.  Just wanted to pint out that Elves come in many sizes and color. But yeah in game I would be down for a Purple tint. Don't think I wan't a straight out Purple anime color.

• Reasons I will play AoC:

1. Not pay to win
    2. Doesn't feel clunky to play

Graphics don't meant much to me, as long as it plays well and the game play is solid. Which so far it seems like it's going to be.
  • Dorje said:
    Ah that's not what I meant, what I mean is lore wise there is no saying that these elves have/had purple skin. I am aware that there are many races in different fictional worlds like this but I was referring to the fact that in Ashes unless they state that such elves had appeared in the past or maybe are a rare mutation I don't think that it would be very appealing to have them.
    It's why I started it out with a :P meant to be in fun slightly joking. :) I'm in partial agreement with you.  Just wanted to pint out that Elves come in many sizes and color. But yeah in game I would be down for a Purple tint. Don't think I wan't a straight out Purple anime color.

Glad we got that sorted xD well I look forward to announcments in regards to races, especailly if they will give us these 'mutations' that naturally allow for a change of skin tone etc. similar to how vampires would work in other games where it is an augment of the original.