Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should Guilds have small member limits?

I just finished watching Nodes Part 2---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk

After watching the video, and understanding how metropolis diplomacy works, it seems that big guilds will probably be able to run the whole server. 

Do you think its possible that a whole server is essentially run by 5 mega guilds?
Should there be guild member limits so that there is more competition?

Personally, I would like to see a bunch of 50-100 man guilds working together in a node, rather than a 500 man guild with the top 5 players owning everything.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    500 players vs a server. I mean yes large guilds sort of have a way to start control, but they also have to have the preparation and time to do so. If a guild has that much power it is possible for the smaller guilds to rise up and beat them and take the power for themselves.

Most large populated guilds are usually run poorly, because it became quantity over quality. Everyone has different agenda's, not everyone in large guilds will be doing the same thing. Also large guilds that hold power are attractive to players but once they lose their foothold and all the power people will scatter. 

I think they said they will have around 300 players for a large guild. But anything can be changed since its pre-alpha. But to answer your question yes large guilds have an opportunity to own a large portion of the server. But it becomes the few vs the many which is meaningful conflict part of what Ashes wants to accomplish.  I think if people decide to band together you could see people deciding to take down "the big guilds"  which could be a cool story for that server.
  • Options
    I definitely hope that the Guild threshold is not low. 300 sounds like a fair amount.

Remember that guilds usually only have a certain amount of people on at any given time.  Sometimes it requires a large pool of people to be in a guild to satisfy the various play times people may have.

Low numbers could especially be hard on the more casual Family type guilds are people do not have a lot of time to play and they often need a large amount cause of the percentage of people that would be off line.

As far as a powerful guild holding dominance over other people by the amount of people they have each guild has the same limitations or guild capacity so dominance would be due to effort over quantity.

When 1 guild holds a spot for too long it can lead to interesting game mechanics like alliances and combined effort siege since that is part of the game as well.

• Options
    They have looked at mechanics for this and will hopefully have mechanics in place to counter such arguments. We know that guilds that go for population cap (250-300 is the number thrown around by them) will not have the same benefits or buffs that smaller guilds will have. There will be only so many "points" that a guild can throw into different trees, one of those trees being max membership. So if they decide to go large, they will lose other desirable benefits. Large organized guilds creating say 5 different guilds of Peenstroker A, Peenstroker B, and so on will come to the realization that while they think that they have found a workaround for mechanics meant to stop mega guilds, only one person in charge of a specific guild is going to get a dragon for controlling that castle. With an envisioned population of 10k concurrent, trying to be a single controlling guild with 500 members is still going to be the normal herding cats problem it always is.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Even if you impose small player number caps on guilds, guilds could still make multiple sections.

- UnicornRaidersOne
    - UnicornRaidersTwo
    - UnicornRaidersThree
    - you get my point...

Then they could still organize and play as one clan.
    Also guild alliances are possible even in case of different small guilds.

So I see no reason to impose too harsh and too limited size caps, that would just prevent gaming communities from playing together under same clan name.
  • Options
    Or encourage smaller communities to band together and play together.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Even if you impose small player number caps on guilds, guilds could still make multiple sections.

- UnicornRaidersOne
    - UnicornRaidersTwo
    - UnicornRaidersThree
    - you get my point...

Then they could still organize and play as one clan.
    Also guild alliances are possible even in case of different small guilds.

So I see no reason to impose too harsh and too limited size caps, that would just prevent gaming communities from playing together under same clan name.
    Basic rule of war: Cut their supplies. I'm sure that guild names will be displayed, and trade caravans have a PVP field around them. Should be easy enough to find them and stop the caravan. It'd probably be good enough to cripple any mega clans

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's a two way road. The mega clan can cripple competing guilds.

The easiest solution I think is to keep an eye on anyone trying to expand their guild by starting more than one. A one guild, one clan rule in the game
  • Options
    I don't think a 1 guild 1 clan rule should be implemented.
    I do believe those who fear a mega-guild should go out of their way to prevent one :wink:
  • Options
    let me quote "MAKE MMO GREAT AGAIN".

---->   "MMO"   <----

now let's focus on the first M meaning :)

"MASSIVE"

that all for me, cia :)
  • Options
    Eeh, I still don't like the idea of one guild monopolizing a server :S
  • Options
    Isabelle said:
    Then put forth effort to not let them . . . BOOM! I know I just blew your mind right? It's really sad you couldn't come up with that :neutral:
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Isabelle said:
    Then put forth effort to not let them . . . BOOM! I know I just blew your mind right? It's really sad you couldn't come up with that :neutral:
    If you could easily stop a monopoly it wouldn't be a monopoly?  :D 
  • Options
    Isabelle said:

I have a job and can really only afford to play on the weekends. Just blew your mind right? It's really sad you couldn't fathom that people who are excited for this game might have a life that doesn't involve powergaming :P

Look you seem bitter about something, all I really want is to be able to have fun in the game without having the server trashed by one big guild.

I don't think it's a huge request to not have a single guild ruin the game for the rest of the userbase.
  • Options
    Isabelle said:
    Isabelle said:

I have a job and can really only afford to play on the weekends. Just blew your mind right? It's really sad you couldn't fathom that people who are excited for this game might have a life that doesn't involve powergaming :P

Look you seem bitter about something, all I really want is to be able to have fun in the game without having the server trashed by one big guild.

I don't think it's a huge request to not have a single guild ruin the game for the rest of the userbase.
    fyi kiddo I work 4 days 50 hours a week, so I put in my time. I dont have the option of playing at all the 4 days I work so instead of assuming I am bitter how about you get some friends to help prevent it. OMG friends? sorry you might not comprehend what that is :smile:

You shouldn't attack a troll dude, it's a bad idea. You throw a rock at me and I will toss a boulder at you. :smile: That is fair in my book.
  • Options
    lol sounds like you also can't powergame to prevent a guild from taking over a server.

What's your solution then, mr. troll?
  • Options
    I work 6 days a week for a 60 hour work week....i'll still power game to my fullest capabilities when it comes down to it. I won't have as much time as others, but after over a decade of mmo experience, i'll have a decent idea on how to keep up with the bigger names. 
  • Options
    I see no point in limiting guild size. It's not like all the players that don't make the guild are going to run and join a different guild. They will just have mains join the main guild and alts join the alt guild. A rose by any other name...
  • Options
    Why do you need more than 300 people in a guild?
    Are they all your besties? Do you need over 300 people to protect you?

Oh, I work a standard 8:00-4:30 M-F but my time is spent with family, friends, and more than one game at a time. I am not a power gamer.

Trolls be calling themselves trolls these days... :smiley:
  • Options
    Isabelle said:

Can you explain me why gaming communities should be punished by limiting guild caps just because you have a job? :)

This seems to me like your own problem, not theirs. ;)
  • Options
    Isabelle said:
    lol sounds like you also can't powergame to prevent a guild from taking over a server.

I already gave you my solution lmao, try reading the whole post instead of the first and last sentences. FRIENDS! You know? Actually try talking to random people, and find people with similiar views?
  • Options
    Large things always have a weakness. It is up to you to exploit it. Small things can be a stone on a road or a landmine. But a 500 vs 500 battle can be a bit laggy.
  • Options
    I don't belive super large guild will be competitive since 500 active people trying to control a city will be caos, they will most likely start fighting and leaving. The best guilds will probably be dedicated 50-100 man guilds. A city divided by 500 does not seem worth it but a city divided by 50-100 feels more worth it in terms of unity, control and reward. And even if a 500 man guild were to somehow control a city for a long time... 500 < whole server
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    sorry double post!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Gothix said:
    Isabelle said:

Can you explain me why gaming communities should be punished by limiting guild caps just because you have a job? :)

This seems to me like your own problem, not theirs. ;)

whitedude31 just started being salty for no reason so I threw a little back, that's all

The rest of my post goes into how I don't want a giant guild stomping all over a single server, which seems like a good thing for everyone to me

Isabelle said:

I already gave you my solution lmao, try reading the whole post instead of the first and last sentences. FRIENDS! You know? Actually try talking to random people, and find people with similiar views?
    My views kinda put me in the minority when it comes to guild caps but we jsut met and you sound like you spend a lot of time meeting random people on the internet and powergaming instead of doing other stuff. How about we start a guild when the game goes public?

------

Either way, I'm surprised by a lot of the resistance to guild caps. Why do you need that many people in a guild? I know that one giant guild ruling a server is kinda ridiculous but how about 3 or 4 stomping out new guilds before they get a chance?

I honestly still don't see what's wrong with having a guild cap and nobody has been able to explain why it's wrong.
  • Options
    Large guilds exist for the purpose of balancing out competitive play. Small guilds can still exist amidst these large guilds. Large guilds exist merely for the purpose of allowing more people to join a guild and thus have fun with that particular group of people. Having small member limits would drive me insane. Who wants to deal with the same 25 people every day? Having a larger pool to pull from for defending guildie freeholds and help with dungeons is a useful and legitimate asset that I believe the people of AoC might appreciate, as this game is more focused on progression rather than a supposed "end-game" after all. If we do have a cap, which, we will, I hope it's about 150 to 200. 300 can also work depending on the organizational methods we are provided with. Also, from what I've skimmed over people seem to think that "One large mega guild/alliance" will take over which, for one, absolutely isn't true. Lots of guilds will be able to co-exist in a server, and if other guilds are too weak to fight against a strong guild, natural selection. As there is strength there is weakness. The weak will perish, but from the weak will arise a new strength that, eventually, will likely overthrow what had once overthrown them. An endless, beautiful tide of conflict sure to provide everyone with plenty of PvP experience.
  • Options
    Ah yeah I wasn't thinking of small caps, something in the realm of 3-400 seems reasonable. Uncontrolled growth of a few guilds could collapse the entire balance of the game is what I think.
  • Options
    When I think a reasonable cap I think 250-300 too. Nobody ever talked about 25.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why, if you joined a guild, you would only play with them. Seems counter-productive to a MMO.

Large guilds seem more aligned with a MMO, but after 300 members the only reasons, imo, to want more is your new BFF didn't show up early enough to get in, or your guild of 300 has a very low online footprint.

Either way, why not split off and make a new guild?

No one seems to think a 300 member guild can prevent new guilds. I am also under the impression guilds form, members of said guild want a chance at leadership and don't see one in the immediate future, guild has a small split, new guild forms.

As for players only wanting to join the largest, best guild, first come first served.
  • Options
    It's more about large gaming communities that play MMOs together for many years already, and go together to next MMO.

Believe me such communities can easily have over 300 active members.
  • Options
    Isnt that what alliances are made for? To bound multiple groups of closer friends within a larger community in a structurized way?

Well, its not like games in the past had decent alliance mechanics so i get that people forget that fact..
  • Options
     Having small member limits would drive me insane. Who wants to deal with the same 25 people every day?

Me