Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Open World PvP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Eragale said:
    @UnknownSystemError
    Never heard of these " experts " , but i always figured testers will assist in breaking it & fixing it
    <snark on>What do you mean? We have a forum full of "experts" who are the best pvpers in the world, who know what it takes to make a game, who in their expert opinions could make Ashes into a WOW killing behemoth if only IS would go with their vision instead of Stevens. <snark off>
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError
    I'm not sure if you're mentioning me as well but ... " I just call it like see it "
    The best of intentions, of course  :p
  • Options
    Nah, wasn't aimed at anyone specific, though I could name and shame, but instead the general malaise we have of "I know better......" and "If they don't do what I say, I am taking my toys and leaving!"
  • Options
    Just want to address the OP's comments regarding Aion. First, Aion was, and still is, a fun, beautiful game for its age with great pvp. However, Aion is also afflicted by power creep in gearing that allows people of max level to kill other players, regardless of skill, solely due to gear. 

For example, a level 70 in even a full set of blood mark gear will 100% to 0% another level 70 player in regular gear without fear of even being damaged. A level 70 in full AP gear will do the same thing to a level 70 in blood mark gear. (Just a couple of examples as there are other gear sets) As a result, Aion has become a niche game of old hang-about players that have the best of everything and they battle on for nothing more than bragging rights. It's only at the highest levels of gearing that skill comes in to play and a few exceptional players emerge as "the best". 

Does that mean other exceptional pvp players don't come along? No, it does not. But, those new exceptional players have to spend months farming to afford the gear they need to compete. Meanwhile, they are on free kill status to anyone with gear. This creates a frustrating system that people don't enjoy so they quit for some other game.  

I hope Ashes of Creation takes a lesson from Aion and other games with similar gear issues, like Black Desert, and prevents gear from getting to far out of control. It's always great to get that new awesome loot weapon or armor that allows you to power up, but for the health of the overall game that shouldn't make you invulnerable to other players. On the other hand, if you have the skill to take on and defeat players regardless of gear, you deserve that respect and admiration from those you defeat. 
  • Options
    One of the big things that has kept me around is the fact they seem to be aware of and plan on avoiding extreme power creep. In this interview (https://youtu.be/hIVnt8SDdrY?t=4m12s) steven talks about a balancing player progression and player skill so that they both play a role in combat.

It always discourages me when there is too much vertical scaling because the number of people you can have a reasonably fair fight with is limited to the people with similar progression to you.
  • Options
    Just want to address the OP's comments regarding Aion. First, Aion was, and still is, a fun, beautiful game for its age with great pvp. However, Aion is also afflicted by power creep in gearing that allows people of max level to kill other players, regardless of skill, solely due to gear. 

For example, a level 70 in even a full set of blood mark gear will 100% to 0% another level 70 player in regular gear without fear of even being damaged. A level 70 in full AP gear will do the same thing to a level 70 in blood mark gear. (Just a couple of examples as there are other gear sets) As a result, Aion has become a niche game of old hang-about players that have the best of everything and they battle on for nothing more than bragging rights. It's only at the highest levels of gearing that skill comes in to play and a few exceptional players emerge as "the best". 

Does that mean other exceptional pvp players don't come along? No, it does not. But, those new exceptional players have to spend months farming to afford the gear they need to compete. Meanwhile, they are on free kill status to anyone with gear. This creates a frustrating system that people don't enjoy so they quit for some other game.  

I hope Ashes of Creation takes a lesson from Aion and other games with similar gear issues, like Black Desert, and prevents gear from getting to far out of control. It's always great to get that new awesome loot weapon or armor that allows you to power up, but for the health of the overall game that shouldn't make you invulnerable to other players. On the other hand, if you have the skill to take on and defeat players regardless of gear, you deserve that respect and admiration from those you defeat. 

The thing is, when you play mmo, everything is about powering up, and getting better gear and leveling your character and getting better day by day.

If there is a player who spend 8 hours a day of playing this game, and farming gear etc. and another player who only has 2 hours a day to farm his gear, im sorry to say this but its obvious that the 8 hour guy will get better gear and profit from it.

just because somebody has only 2 hours to farm his gear doesnt mean that "other" players who have more time to spend have to be handicapped just because of the 2 hour players.

MMORPG's = you need to spend a lot of hours, weeks, months to get good gear and progress, if someone cant catch up just because he have only a few hours a day time to farm, that is his own problem (sounds egoistic, but its the truth)

its the same as you run to a rich guy and say why you are rich, hes obviously rich because he spend time in learning and working (progress)
    while you stucked in your minijob because you dont wanted to learn.
  • Options
    Open world pvp with loss of items   .......I simply don't care for it. Who wants to spend hours or days crafting, gathering, to make a special item that  gankers who do nothing but live off others work, take it away. i simply will not play, work hard to acquire things and  play a game that rewards do-less gankers.
    I love player vs player conflict...just no player looting.