Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Quests and leveling, actually being hard!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Abasole said:
    Berros said:
    Abasole said:
    "I'm not into levels at all but i put up with them if the end game and pvp is good. I prefer horizontal progression where skills are upgraded the more they are used. This system means a new player can take on a veteran and have fun instead of a level 100 stomping a level 1. Far less griefing in horizontal progressions compared to vertical progressions."

I also enjoy horizontal progression.  SWG had the best system for customizing your character.  250 talent pts to spend as wish.  6 different starting base professions and 20 + advanced professions.  I am hoping that Ashes implements some of the same random customization options within there 64 class system and horizontal progressions. 
    Yes. I still havent found a replacement for SWG Pre CU2. They really damaged the game with CU2. I miss the massed PvP fights in deserts on Tattooine and the old system for being a Jedi where you'd be reset for death. So much fun to be had back then. I am hoping Ashes will give us a similar experience but i doubt we'll get horizontal progression because there are far less of us that have experienced it compared to the vertical progression thanks to games like WoW.

Where i gain some hope for horizontal progression is via these in game nodes for Ashes. They seem very intriguing. Also i'm a sucker for sieges and Guild Castles.
    The day of them implementing classes (especially jedi ffs) destroyed the game...
  • Options
    Damokles
    The day of them implementing classes (especially jedi ffs) destroyed the game...
    Yeah I used to be specced into Teras Kasi and i found Monk in EQ 2 to be similar. The cool thing about Ashes is they will have a Bounty system but i'm not sure if it will be the same as SWG's. I have heard that some of the developers for Ashes were developers from SWG. This gives me great hope.
  • Options
    Abasole said:
    Damokles
    Yeah I used to be specced into Teras Kasi and i found Monk in EQ 2 to be similar. The cool thing about Ashes is they will have a Bounty system but i'm not sure if it will be the same as SWG's. I have heard that some of the developers for Ashes were developers from SWG. This gives me great hope.
    Peter is a huge SWG fan and Jeffery Bard loved the crafting in SWG.  They really want to give the players that feeling we had back then.  The endless possibilities for Specs and the player driven content!  I was privileged to spend time with the dev team at Pax West 2017.  Talking with them I could feel their passion for the old school MMO and making a game with can all enjoy for years to come.  They have the ability and desire to deliver it.  And best of all they are asking for our help, to make it happen with our testing and feedback.  Pretty Damn Cool!
  • Options

If Intrepid succeeds in making all aspects of gameplay relevant, then there should be rewards to be found in not just challenging levelling, but elsewhere too.

Even something for my own carebear / rage quitting self.

So yes, throw in those extremely hard challenges, make levelling difficult again.

I'll keep political rants about folks getting used to participation rewards to myself.

As long as the mix is right, that there is something for most people, there really is no reason to hand hold in levelling.

I am speaking as someone who knows that I am unlikely to ever be in the top, well, even 60% of skilled players.

We got brains to figure out how to get around challenges, brains like everything wither without use

Experience of challenges and difficulties stick with us because our brains write them in.

The mere fact that there is nostaigia for difficult levelling shows how much of a rush overcoming any challenges and succeeding gives.

Make levelling difficult, after all, those of us not blessed with ability in one game area can always find our fun in others.