Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Level Restrictions on Gear & TLC

Again, apologies if this had already been addressed as I am new to the community.

I'm really hoping gear isn't assigned level restrictions. It really takes away from the fun of leveling another character and I have always been a fan of twinking an alt. 

Have they also mentioned if they will be implementing TLC (trivial loot code)? Again, I'm hoping they don't because I think it adds to the end game content and fun factor of farming gear for an alt. 

Comments

• Options
    There has been little information on how gear restrictions will be implemented as related to level, but the gist we have gotten so far is that it will NOT be set level to use certain gear. Also since any class can use any weapon or gear with varying  effectiveness, and "old" gear is not soulbound, there really is no reason to "farm" gear for alts. There is also no traditional "endgame" planned. The quote is "We feel endgame is a dirty word."
  • Options
    Which begs the question, if the gear is not level locked then how will it affect the market. Could one potentially use a piece of gear and "upgrade" that gear to a higher tier weapon in order for it to still have "use". Maybe the deconstruction of the specific item will be worth it for it's mats which then can be sold to be used in other items. 

Just thinking of ways to avoid "power creep" from affecting items in the marketplace. 
  • Options
    I am really hoping Player Crafted items are always the preferred gear over drops. As for legendary/epic armor/weapons, hopefully just rare resource drops are found and need to be taken to a craftsman to be converted into legendary./epic gear.

I don't mind gear drops, but it should be gear that could be crafted or gear that needs a craftsman to make better. I think this is their plan, I just hope it is implemented in the beginning and not nerfed by gear dropped in an expansion or added content.

This alone should slow power creep, if you had to collect the rare resource and pay someone to craft it, and can continue to sharpen it, high tier gear shouldn't be discarded every time you get another gear drop. *fingers-crossed*
  • Options

You call a high lvl boss that needs to be killed that will drop a item that doesn't require lvls a restriction?

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    @Fleelix, I am not understanding your question; are you asking if someone here said "...it is not a restriction even if you have to kill a world boss..."?

Or are you asking if we personally would call an item that doesn't require a level dropped from a world boss a restriction?

[Edit: for example;]

If the world boss is killed by someone of a high level and that boss drops gear, since the gear is not soul bound, they could sell or give it to level 1 character that could theoretically use it. Obtaining the gear might have level restrictions (hopefully closer to try it and beat it if you can as opposed to a level number) but wearing the gear would not.

Again, I am not 100% on your question.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    It all comes down to how character/character and character/mob level disparity is addressed. Which no one has any idea so far will be implemented. Sure, in the example above someone could take their main and trick out a low level alt in highest tier gear, but if that low level character, even in awesome gear, cannot scratch a mob 5 levels above it, kinda moot. Will absolutely rock against things/people near it's own level, but would still get swatted by anything outside of its range. This is just an example, and is in no way a confirmation of how they are looking at the issue. Until further clarification, no one outside of IS actually know right now, and are just pulling their own interpretations out of various orifices.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    @Fleelix, I am not understanding your question; are you asking if someone here said "...it is not a restriction even if you have to kill a world boss..."?

Or are you asking if we personally would call an item that doesn't require a level dropped from a world boss a restriction?

If the world boss is killed by someone of a high level and that boss drops gear, since the gear is not soul bound, they could sell or give it to level 1 character that could theoretically use it. Obtaining the gear might have level restrictions (hopefully closer to try it and beat it if you can as opposed to a level number) but wearing the gear would not.

I think, and correct me if im wrong please, that they mentioned that world bosses would have a high chance to drop materials needed to craft high tier gear, and a very low chance to drop super rare gear? 
  • Options
    Gemiichan said:
    Azathoth said:

I think, and correct me if im wrong please, that they mentioned that world bosses would have a high chance to drop materials needed to craft high tier gear, and a very low chance to drop super rare gear? 
    Only thing that was mentioned:

The RNG table (whether it is higher chance to get boss gear or boss parts) i don't believe was ever mentioned. 
  • Options
    Right, that was an example of why high level gear would not be level restricted even if you needed to defeat a world boss for the gear or materials. I was not trying to directly implicate an existing system.

I am still not sure what the question was asking.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    I am really hoping Player Crafted items are always the preferred gear over drops. As for legendary/epic armor/weapons, hopefully just rare resource drops are found and need to be taken to a craftsman to be converted into legendary./epic gear.

I don't mind gear drops, but it should be gear that could be crafted or gear that needs a craftsman to make better. I think this is their plan, I just hope it is implemented in the beginning and not nerfed by gear dropped in an expansion or added content.

This alone should slow power creep, if you had to collect the rare resource and pay someone to craft it, and can continue to sharpen it, high tier gear shouldn't be discarded every time you get another gear drop. *fingers-crossed*
    There's a positive and a bigger negative in that thought.  If crafted gear is the best why would anybody want to do the endgame content?  When crafted gear is the best, it ends up putting the mindset in casual players to buy gold to buy the gear.  I know IS is going to be strict on RMT, but, it's literally impossible to stop it.

It's good to have a balance in gear when it comes to the requirements of obtaining it.
  • Options

There is your reason why to do high tier content. Remember, "endgame" is a dirty word around these parts. Nobody has said crafted gear will be the best, just that it will be available. Maybe you will be able to get 2 pieces of a set of 5 by crafting with materials from high tier content drops. Your argument of people will just buy gold then use said gold to buy best gear doesn't make a lot of sense either. Why have the best gear if you aren't going to use it? Epeen stroking in a game where no gear is soulbound? Because that is also a mechanic that is in place. With very rare exceptions all gear will be able to be sold or given to other players or alts. And while it may be impossible to stop the occasional person from cutting a deal to buy this item from someone with a transaction outside of game,the widespread, organized gold selling and RMT will be caught fairly easily with the systems that we know about in place so far, not to mention the ones they haven't bothered to tell you about.

It is like the people who like to argue that IS won't be able to stop them from using 3rd party programs to parse or get around restrictions. I would love to be able to take a picture of the mushroom-shaped indentation on their forehead when they get dickslapped with ban and lose their account down the line. Most likely will just have to satisfy my shadenfreude on Reddit with the inevitable "I was banned from Ashes for no reason!!" rage posts that will occur.

• Options

There is your reason why to do high tier content. Remember, "endgame" is a dirty word around these parts. Nobody has said crafted gear will be the best, just that it will be available. Maybe you will be able to get 2 pieces of a set of 5 by crafting with materials from high tier content drops. Your argument of people will just buy gold then use said gold to buy best gear doesn't make a lot of sense either. Why have the best gear if you aren't going to use it? Epeen stroking in a game where no gear is soulbound? Because that is also a mechanic that is in place. With very rare exceptions all gear will be able to be sold or given to other players or alts. And while it may be impossible to stop the occasional person from cutting a deal to buy this item from someone with a transaction outside of game,the widespread, organized gold selling and RMT will be caught fairly easily with the systems that we know about in place so far, not to mention the ones they haven't bothered to tell you about.

It is like the people who like to argue that IS won't be able to stop them from using 3rd party programs to parse or get around restrictions. I would love to be able to take a picture of the mushroom-shaped indentation on their forehead when they get dickslapped with ban and lose their account down the line. Most likely will just have to satisfy my shadenfreude on Reddit with the inevitable "I was banned from Ashes for no reason!!" rage posts that will occur.

Well, that's good about the RMT, but Pooka was purely going off a basis of if all the BiS was crafted.  Pooka knew that it wasn't going to be that way beforehand. 

The thing about RMT is this;  They're like Stink Bugs, they get into everything and they get past everything no matter the measures you take.  Their systems they put in place may stop a lot of it, but it won't stop all of it.  Until I see otherwise I will believe this statement.

To add on, Pooka enjoys the occasional rage post on redit.
  • Options
    Since gear is not bound it really doesn't matter if the best gear is crafted or obtained through boss fights/dungeons/etc. In either instance it will be purchasable.

Also, it's not like a craftsman can just go mine some resources and make top tier gear, they will likely need rare/dropped resources. So, unless the low level players can obtain that first it might not be so easy to obtain just because you have gold.
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there will be decay on items as well, which might need a skilled blacksmith to repair or even permanently break? Some of those 'best items' might break before they make their way to your alts.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well this is all great information and I'm really hoping there aren't level restrictions on gear since the replay value will be all the more enjoyable twinking out an alt. 

Have they stated how mobs willl be tagged and who gets the loot dropped? Is it whatever party does the most damage or who initiates the first hit? I'm just really curious to see how this plays out for world bosses and such or maybe guilds will have to pvp to keep their competition at bay while they kill the world boss.
  • Options
    Level restrictions are kind of necessary in mmo's I mean otherwise you could give new characters op gear, but if they gave some other requirement like STR, AGI etc then it would work better I guess ? I mean those stats would still go up with your level but it would give off a nicer feeling to it ? maybe.... :naughty:
  • Options
    I think it will not be which I like but I am just thinking low-level players buying amazing endgame gear at the auction house which does not sound great as well. Not sure though probably won't be just heard it somewhere we will see.
  • Options
    No endgame so no endgame gear.
    If it ever comes to the market being so flooded a low-level player can acquire top tier gear with whatever gold they have in pocket, I think it will be a few years from release.

Low level players would still, theoretically, have to pay for item or be gifted the item.
    Rare materials will still likely be needed, likely from high level mobs, and craftsman will hopefully still have to craft and charge for craft.
    I don't see there being an abundance, like a player having 3 extra sets of complete top-tier gear.

I could be wrong.
  • Options
    I'm a firm believer that you should have done the content to be able to use it.
    The only reason for this is to not rob people of the experience of doing said content.

I understand that people want to use "twinking" for their alt to make it "easier" but I never understood why? If the gameplay is fun, there is no reason to not experience it again but from a different point of view.
    Also, I can support that the low-middle tier gear (crafted and drops) can be sold and bought but the high end gear should not be possible to buy. There are many other ways to encourage "older" toons to keep wanting to come back and help newer people (besides actually being willing to help, which I hope will be a pretty big factor in this community).

Another reason to not allow sales of rare materials is that it encourages people to horde it in one way or another which will drastically reduce the chance for causual player to be able to achieve it on their own. They will be more or less forced to buy it eventually (going by how this has worked out in the past in numerous games).
  • Options
    Problem with rare materials binding on pick up is the chance your character doesn't have the skill set to do anything with it. Not all characters will be masters of all trades. So that would make a lot of rare material drops useless if they couldn't be traded/sold to a smith or what-not.

Maybe Ashes will change the way alts are played. Since content will be changing all the time due to players interactions with the world, spending a day or two with an alt might prevent someone from being effective in a world event. Hopefully the lateral progression system and no endgame will slow down max level racers. I think it's cool peeps do that, but maybe less will.

Like USE pointed out earlier, gear might make things at your level easier, but it likely won't let you slay things level-tiers higher than you.
  • Options
    I also don't like the idea of binding rare materials, they are rare so they should have low drop rates and very high market prices, new players won't be able to afford them, and they are a source of income for those who don't really need them anymore.
  • Options
    I agree with no binding of rare materials for high level gear.

I love getting stuff for my alts with my main character cause im extra casual, but if ive been playing for a while and i can afford it why shoudnt i be able to buy them.

Plus i dont craft but love to explore so when i come across rare materials i wAnna be able to sell or trade them so i can buy or have made whAt ever i need.

I liked the point where just cause a low level alt has epic geAr on dosent mean they are fly through content. Isent that the pArt were skill is supose to come into play lol.
  • Options
    There will be gear sets that require a certain level.

Source: https://youtu.be/EAG9mS0U4NQ?t=22m33s
  • Options
    I'm sure other people disagree, but I actually like having level restriction on gear. Just feels like levels are worth working towards and when you finally hit a certain level you get a "reward" in the form of being able to equip a level restricted item.

Then again, I'm not hugely into alts, so I'm sure people who like having many alts would think differently. What is nice in Ashes though, is that most gear is not bound, so you can still potentially trade it to your alt for leveling.

In terms of rare items; I do not think they should be bound to a character. The whole idea  of trading, building an economy and building a community that Ashes strives towards wouldn't really work if materials weren't able to be traded.
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    I'm sure other people disagree, but I actually like having level restriction on gear. Just feels like levels are worth working towards and when you finally hit a certain level you get a "reward" in the form of being able to equip a level restricted item.

Then again, I'm not hugely into alts, so I'm sure people who like having many alts would think differently. What is nice in Ashes though, is that most gear is not bound, so you can still potentially trade it to your alt for leveling.

In terms of rare items; I do not think they should be bound to a character. The whole idea  of trading, building an economy and building a community that Ashes strives towards wouldn't really work if materials weren't able to be traded.
    Pretty much, level restrictions, or some sort of restriction on gear is necessary, otherwise people who mangae to get a few sets of good gear could send it to low level alts, and boom level 10 char running with level 50 gear or something.

For binding, materials and the like shouldn't be bound at all and maybe the possibility to unbind rare gear for a certain price or using specail items (expenisve or rare to get of course).
  • Options
    Oh man there has to be restrictions on gear and binding materials is just a big NO ! ;P
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, stuff like heirlooms we see in WoW should not be in the game either, for new players it's really off putting seeing these low level chars smashing their way through everything :expressionless:
  • Options
    I disagree. I like taking my time leveling the first time through, enjoying the world and learning the game, but once I have a high level character and I want to try out another class it's really nice to have a boost to help me level the second (or more) time through. I don't need to go as slow and it can get tedious repeating the same stuff over and over.
    Although, I get the sense that won't be as big an issue with this game as it seems (hopefully) the leveling experience will be different each time.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    People want to avoid the term "end game", but levels imply linear progression and "end game gear" will most likely be attained at level 50 - their projected max level. So call it what you want - it's all still the same to me. 

You won't see a level 10 in a full set of "end game" level 50 set of gear that they obtained themselves. I'm also guessing you will need multiple level 50 characters or characters close to that level to unlock a metropolis and successfully accomplish the 40 man raids. 

Im also adamantly against level restrictions on gear, but appreciate soulbound gear restrictions for top tier loot.
  • Options
    Top tier gear, if crafted by players doesn't necessarily mean "end game" in the traditional sense. It's top tier sure, but a player with hard earned gold in the market and an artisan that makes top tier gear from purchased materials can meet and trade.

Hopefully there is not one end all set of sets of armor. There will, hopefully, be many different versions for all the specific play-styles. That's one of the reasons I avoid the term "end game" when it comes to gear. I also don't think the traditional meaning applies here. But sure, call it what you will.

Ashes have stated, per lexmax, some gear will have level restrictions. We can assume level 50 gear won't be donned by a player at level 10, but I don't know that for sure right now. Rather or not it can be worn by lower levels I would be against soulbound gear regardless of it's level. Besides, for corrupted players there is the chance they drop loot, if they were maxed out in top-tier gear they would never have to worry about that. According to the current system as I understand it, that would be unfair.

As for unlocking metropolises, I am hoping it requires more people and not more people of certain levels. If it's an xp value, many many players constantly doing task can add up just as quick as a bunch of level 50 players doing quests at their level. It will likely be a nice mix of both.

The 40 man raids should not be locked behind level 50 (or close to that level), that would imply "endgame" and IS does not like thinking that way.