Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes First Expansion Thoughts

So let's say that Ashes is a smashing success.  How long do you think it would take until Steven released the first expansion, and what changes/additions would theorize would be in it?  

Personally I'd like to see them release a major expansion a year after release.  Regardless of where players are story/level wise, it's good for a studio with a new mmo to keep the content train momentum going full speed ahead.  I think mini updates throughout the year and major expansion every year to year and half is the way to go.

As for expansion changes. I foresee them changing some of the mechanics of the wagon transport/pvp system.  I see them expanding the whole system with different modes of transport that will create more opportunity for resource movement, and pvp.  I also see them adding aerial battles (pvp & pve) with aerial mounts, and I see them fine tuning the housing system to allow more players access.

/yourthoughts

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    A bit soon to think about expansions no? :P 

They will most certainly release expansions, after 2 years perhaps. We have a lot of content that they need to finish for launch first. (all those tasty KS stretch goals etc)
  • Options
    I would not like to see flying mounts become more common than what is currently planned.
    I would love to see massive environmental disasters like an earthquake that shatters a mountain and changes the landscape drastically. And an expansion that brings us to the Sladebourne's ancestral cities.
  • Options
    Pinned.
    I'll reply to this in 2020. 
  • Options
    No flying mounts. It's also hard to sell an expansion with no big costs.

They will be adding things constantly and the world is ever changing. I think I read the big patches will be quarterly.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    They have said small content drops every 4-6 weeks and a larger drop quarterly. Fine goals to shoot for. The lack of ability to follow through on other content related issues is concerning, though those may be due more to getting core systems and mechanics in place and leaving the fluff till later. Summer addon artwork, KS forum badges (which we saw half-finished mock ups for months ago), and the infamous Nodes 3 are all examples of things that have taken a back burner to other more pressing development issues. Hell, they introduced monthly cosmetic packages to have the first set sit there for 2.5 months. I would rather they be working on getting the game playable and out for testing over the shinies and QOL stuff. Once game hits live, can they shift to content production over system production will be the true test.
  • Options
    It would be cool to see a transition away from typical expansions.
    What would be nice, and a total pain in the ass, would be if they applied large content releases specific to servers based on various node developments. As an example, they could have a dragon cult start messing with the node that unlocked and then killed a dragon (this could be used multiple times on different severs whenever the dragon was unlocked/defeated).

As for traditional expansions, my biggest fear is what I like to call the Serial Hero effect. At the end of season one your hero gains just enough power to defeat the toughest bad guy, that happens for several seasons, and at some point you have to ask yourself "...here we are in season 7 and this guy can almost kill the hero, why didn't he do this 5 season ago..?"

I just don't want them throwing on more and more glitter, more and more mounts (eventually leading to more common flying mounts), more and more races/classes, and on and on until it blends into every other MMO out there.

I see why this might not be a popular view point. If node/castle/siege dynamics are as real as a lot of us hope they will be, they might be able to get away without adding new zones, classes, etc.

GM's involved in creating scenarios could also go a long ways.
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect an expansion until probably 2 years after release. If they are doing major patches every quarter then there should be much want for content unless you're the type of player that really pushes through content at a very high rate. Those players are pretty much always starved for content in any game for a period of time. 
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    So let's say that Ashes is a smashing success.  How long do you think it would take until Steven released the first expansion, and what changes/additions would theorize would be in it?  

Personally I'd like to see them release a major expansion a year after release.  Regardless of where players are story/level wise, it's good for a studio with a new mmo to keep the content train momentum going full speed ahead.  I think mini updates throughout the year and major expansion every year to year and half is the way to go.

As for expansion changes. I foresee them changing some of the mechanics of the wagon transport/pvp system.  I see them expanding the whole system with different modes of transport that will create more opportunity for resource movement, and pvp.  I also see them adding aerial battles (pvp & pve) with aerial mounts, and I see them fine tuning the housing system to allow more players access.

/yourthoughts
    Just gives us a World War Z expansion. Just massive NPC AI dominance, so we have to adept and clear their city's unholy grounds.
  • Options
    LunarSky said:
    I wouldn't expect an expansion until probably 2 years after release. If they are doing major patches every quarter then there should be much want for content unless you're the type of player that really pushes through content at a very high rate. Those players are pretty much always starved for content in any game for a period of time. 
    I hope like other mmo's in the past, they don't start falling behind on the quarterly patches.  To date, almost every new mmo dev team severely underestimated the sheer amount of content today's players need and can consume.  
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    LunarSky said:
    I hope like other mmo's in the past, they don't start falling behind on the quarterly patches.  To date, almost every new mmo dev team severely underestimated the sheer amount of content today's players need and can consume.  
    get a job, get a partner, play multiple games, smell the roses, many other options if you like blasting through content
  • Options
    Agreed, today's players are super needy.
  • Options
    I kinda hope expansions mean major chaotic node/world events that spur massive changes in landscape and resource availability, creating a mandatory shift in trade routes, supplies and access to other node interaction rather than just a standard, here's a new map and race from a portal from a distant ravaged world/timeline.

Maybe a new pvp opportunity aside from caravans/sieges/instances, such as chaotic outposts/small towns for urban warfare or new pvp quests that have you pitted against multiple groups for some sort of loot with a time limit.

But really, as long as they keep adding more bosses/instances/node events/environment interaction at a steady flow, I'd be a happy customer.

*Wouldn't mind needing potions/enchants or enhancements to armor/underclothes in order to prevent certain elements from affecting your character. I.e.: lining clothing with fur during winter. Wearing water resistant cloaks for monsoon season, etc., Etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Warkov said:
    ...and I see them fine tuning the housing system to allow more players access.

I'm not sure what I'd want from an expansion until I've played the game for a while, but what I don't want is housing to become more accessible to players.  Quite frankly they'll already have access to instanced housing so if they miss out on a nodes housing plots that's just tough.  One mistake a lot of mmos make is allowing things to become more accessible, which devalues that thing in the long term.  They'll just have to keep an eye open for plots and hope for the best imo!
  • Options
    I'm with everyone else who thinks it is just to soon to know what anyone would want from an expansion, however my general stance is always horizontal never vertical. Also, no flying beyond the rare instances that they currently have planned, no flying, not even in one specific zone... Just no flying... ever...
  • Options
    Freshcuts said:
    I'm with everyone else who thinks it is just to soon to know what anyone would want from an expansion, however my general stance is always horizontal never vertical. Also, no flying beyond the rare instances that they currently have planned, no flying, not even in one specific zone... Just no flying... ever...
    I have to PARTIALLY disagree with you on the zone part, I think they could come up with a awesome sky zone where maybe you have to jump to floating rocks or use a gliding mount or maybe you get a flying mount specific to the area.

Apart from that though I totally agree :smile:

• Options
    Freshcuts said:
    Even no to flying pvp?
  • Options
    No flying anything please. It reduces the travel time to get from one place to another and that will open up a whole list of problems including fast mobilization of zergs.
  • Options
    As cool as floating islands are and jumping or flying up to them is. We do have a under world. Of which i dont think ive ever seen another mmo do. Atleast none that didnt go vaperware. *glares at daybreakgames* For an expansion i couldnt even begin to say what id expect because as everyone has said i think its to early. Past getting xtra land. As to what would happen past that i/we just dont know enough to know what a expansion would add onto or even change. 
  • Options
    I'll expand you @Warkov :wink:

Let's hope they don't rush the initial product or any expansions that follow.
  • Options
    Well any expansion should bring out more land, and new races. But until we see the final product, we really can't say what more needs to be added yet.
  • Options
    Xombie said:

Yeah that's one thing I hope they take care not to do.  I've seen too many rushed games fall apart now.
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    Xombie said:

Yeah that's one thing I hope they take care not to do.  I've seen too many rushed games fall apart now.
    The more polished and refined, the better! 
  • Options
    We should start a petition for AoC classic servers or something. Really get ahead of it.
  • Options
    Too soon junior :trollface:
  • Options
    Lethality said:
    We should start a petition for AoC classic servers or something. Really get ahead of it.
    Eventually IS will announce "classic" then never give an update after that. I will resub for three months because I buy into the idea and then realize I've been duped.

• Options
    Lethality said:
    It would be rude not to!
  • Options

We have that as a quote. But what about "expansions". Just went back to ESO after a year because I am bored as fuck am making a grand tour through all my previous failures. Pay $15 for their premium which includes all dlc, get in, find out the new Morrowind content and the new class are locked behind an "expansion" paywall. Hoping that we don't see same dodgy wordsmithing bullshit two years down the line from this title.

• Options
    I wouldn't have an issue paying for fully fleshed out Expansion to be perfectly honest.
  • Options
    I would really like to see an expansion taking us up into the skies. Not meaning that we'll get flying mounts cause I think that kind of ruins the openworld aspect, but more so to have a city in the skies, nodes even. It would be a place kind of like in diablo with angels and demons.
  • Options
    Xombie said:
    I wouldn't have an issue paying for fully fleshed out Expansion to be perfectly honest.
    Well, I had this discussion with Lex the other day and he brought up a good point. It is easy for themeparks to put up paywalls around content, much harder for themeboxes, so hopefully we won't see it down the line. If something was truly game changing and justified them having put in thousands of man hours to get it to work, then wouldn't have a problem throwing more scratch their way either.