Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Breaking immersion

Comments

• Options
    Darren792 said:
    Ok this post made me have to log in and post for the first time because I love it when people complain about immersion breaking things that are added to a game.  This game literally has magic so what makes you think someone isn't going to make a magitech type mount?  I on the other hand am going to buy it just to make people mad and "break their immersion" >:)
    I have actually been considering doing the same thing, and if people choose to attack me, I'm just not gonna fight back so that they gain corruption >:)
    Some things are worth the corruption :tongue:
  • Options
    Darren792 said:
    Ok this post made me have to log in and post for the first time because I love it when people complain about immersion breaking things that are added to a game.  This game literally has magic so what makes you think someone isn't going to make a magitech type mount?  I on the other hand am going to buy it just to make people mad and "break their immersion" >:)
    I have actually been considering doing the same thing, and if people choose to attack me, I'm just not gonna fight back so that they gain corruption >:)
    You may kill be, but eventually imma be able to steal yo gear >:)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Darren792 said:
    You may kill be, but eventually imma be able to steal yo gear >:)
    Still worth it. I'll make more. Lots more :tongue:
  • Options
    Lord Stuffertons protects us though! In his light we thrive. In his wisdom we are humbled.
  • Options
    omg nice avatar Bear. Love it.

• Options
    Darren792 said:
    Way ahead of you, bought mine a few days ago. cant wait to pk all the butthurt kids lol
  • Options
    Gigabear said:
    Lord Stuffertons protects us though! In his light we thrive. In his wisdom we are humbled.
    Hey giga, awesome avatar!
  • Options
    Gigabear said:
    Is that a Sword of Truth reference? Master Rahl...
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    Is that a Sword of Truth reference? Master Rahl...
    You might say I'm rather devoted to him, yes.
  • Options
    Gigabear said:
    Yes. Stufferton will indeed be a blinding light...
    ...when its chucked on the bonfire :D
  • Options
    I think the guy in the reddit thread was overreacting. 
  • Options
    So basically its a case of anything goes with this precedent because 'a Wizard did it' thus making it lore.

and such is nature of cash shops....
  • Options
    I too am a bit disappointed by this line of cosmetics. I'm one who can't stand the eastern mmo style, it's just not me, and for me, it breaks immersion. I don't want to run around a world with a race of people who look like 10 year old girls, wearing disturbingly skimpy outfits, killing enemies with swords bigger than a horse.

I know intrepid has none of this,yet, but this character's I just described  would be running around on these silly looking teddy bears as they make there way to their swan like ship. I want bigger and bolder from intrepid, not little and silly.
  • Options
    Wolfwall said:
    I'm one who can't stand the eastern mmo style, it's just not me, and for me, it breaks immersion. I don't want to run around a world with a race of people who look like 10 year old girls, wearing disturbingly skimpy outfits, killing enemies with swords bigger than a horse
    Reminder that Teddy Bears are actually an American convention, bikini plate and oversized weapons have been explicitly unconfirmed, and so have "child-like" races. 
  • Options

Nothing confirmed/unconfirmed about skimpy outfits. Though from concept art it looks like casual wear looks more revolutionary war. Didn't see a lot of bikini pinups from that period. Boobie sliders confirmed. No male endowment sliders confirmed.
  • Options
    Nothing confirmed/unconfirmed about skimpy outfits. 
    It was in one of the live streams. 

lexmax said:
    HK83 said:
    Looking at the development staff, I noticed there aren't any females present.  This leads me to wonder if the in-game female models are going to be a rehash of games past, specifically in the department of clothing.

You know what I'm talking about:  A female fighter with an armor class to take on the world who visually looks like she's wearing a mid-drift top and hot-pants.  It's kind of contrived and I don't always want my females 'pretty' from a roleplaying perspective.  Sometimes you don't want to play Xena as much as you want Brienne of Tarth.

I guess this all leads to the question:  What ARE your thoughts or plans on the topic of 'realistic' armor options?
    Quote from Steven and Jeffrey:
    Q: Oki asks will you go for a bikini plate armor for females?

A: (Steven) Personally I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality like if you're gonna have armor it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of immersive issue.

A: (Jeffrey) It really depends on what your flavor is right and we're going for kind of a more realistic look; not necessarily realistic setting but kind of we want our characters to have weight and kind of feel like you know they're there that this could possibly maybe be an alternate world somewhere.
    Livestream, 26 May 2017 (19:51).

• Options
    Sexy bikini armor for Tulnar confirmed at last Pax btw.
    Something fresh, original, and very cool at least.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Have fun playing archeage 2.0 then.Can't wait for the sailor moon armor!!

• Options
    Just need all the armor to be like Tera's armor and we be all good :smile:

• Options
    So I found out this other game did a flying 5 person kitten mount. Now, that's obviously ridiculous and there is no way we can permit that in Ashes. No, seriously. Five people is too many. I have no problem with four though.
  • Options
    Absolutely hillarious mount I think I will buy into that pack for it!
  • Options
    Some people throw money when they see such things in game. This is why developers tend to add them.

There are other people, however, that do opposite, like me. When I see such things in game, I stop spending money on it out of principle.

Just though I would mention it to help add awareness. ;)
  • Options
    Yeah. Its basically a way for the Devs to say...hey people...heres something to troll others with. Enjoy the salt.
  • Options
    Yeah. Its basically a way for the Devs to say...hey people...heres something to troll others with. Enjoy the salt.
    I doubt they had any idea there would be a controversy at all. I was pretty surprised myself when I heard about it. This kind of stuff is in nearly every MMO with cosmetic microtransactions, only worse. I feel bad for anyone who actually thought they could make a cosmetic shop that pretty much replaces the box price of the game and fill it with the same exact stuff you can get in game. It has to be shiny or nobody is going to buy it.

I am also perplexed how anyone's immersion can be broken when they know next to nothing about the world's aesthetic to have formed an opinion on what is immersive on Verra in the first place. What has happened is people headcannoned a bunch of stuff they wanted to fill the void in what was known about the world, and are now having to adapt their inaccurate assumptions to the end product.

This will not be the last cute item. Far from it. The good news is you don't have to use them. Your sense of immersion does not trump anyone else's though. And I find this bear increases my own immersion into a FANTASY world full of magic. 
  • Options
    This seems to be an RP issue primarily. Only time can address your concerns.
  • Options
    Gigabear said:

I feel bad for anyone who actually thought they could make a cosmetic shop that pretty much replaces the box price of the game and fill it with the same exact stuff you can get in game. It has to be shiny or nobody is going to buy it.

Game requires monthly subscription. There needs to be no replacing for anything.

Cash shop is OK for P2P game, but only if it features only cosmetics, and if those cosmetics are available through game as well.

People paying subscription need to be able to get everything through playing the game, and CS in P2P game can only offer alternative to getting same cosmetics available from game, for people that can't spend so much time in game that they are able to gain cosmetics on their own, so they trade some cash to get them.

Cosmetics that are "more shiny" in CS than in game, have no place in P2P game.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Cash shop is OK for P2P game, but only if it features only cosmetics, and if those cosmetics are available through game as well.
    All of this was explained during kickstarter. The time to protest or object to the inclusion of a cosmetic shop was THEN, and deciding to back the game with full knowledge this was going to be a thing only to now take issue with it is a non-starter.

WoW has a cash shop, box and expansion prices and a sub. FFXIV has a box price, expansion price, a sub and a shop. ESO has an optional sub and cosmetic shop, but also has a box and expansion prices.

Ashes only requiring a sub and having a non P2W shop makes it one of the least monetized games I have had any involvement with. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Gigabear we are not talking about existence of CS cosmetics, we are talking about CS cosmetics that would be "MORE SHINY" than in game obtained cosmetics, which is a NO GO.

CS cosmetics being on pair with in game obtain cosmetics is OK.

If they place "crap cosmetics" in game, and "all the good stuff in CS" they will not get a cent from me, not even for a sub.
  • Options
    I believe @Gothix has a good point in terms of the comparison between Cash Shop cosmetics and cosmetics available in game.

I was extremely disappointed and annoyed when Black Desert Online released and everyone of a certain class looked exactly the same. What was even more infuriating was that the only way to look different, or even decent was to cough up real money and throw it at the Cash Shop. Now that is what I believe to be a disgusting way of running a Cash Shop.

Initially, I was rather worried about how IS were going to go about implementing a balance between Cash Shop and in-game cosmetics. However, since then I have seen several statements about it and so far I like what I am reading:

These are 2 easily found comments from Steven found in the #intrepid_answers section of their Discord.

Obviously it's up to IS to keep their promise and show us that in-game cosmetics are as decent as the Cash Shop ones, but for now I choose to believe they will be true to their statements.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    @Gigabear we are not talking about existence of CS cosmetics, we are talking about CS cosmetics that would be "MORE SHINY" than in game obtained cosmetics, which is a NO GO.

CS cosmetics being on pair with in game obtain cosmetics is OK.

If they place "crap cosmetics" in game, and "all the good stuff in CS" they will not get a cent from me, not even for a sub.
    Fair enough. I wasn't suggesting this is how they SHOULD do it, but only since so many are opposed to having cute cosmetics as it is that doubling them by having the also obtainable in game wouldn't be embraced.

I'm totally fine with matching Stuffertons with something of equivalent in game quality of course. I just didn't think anyone would go for that but it seems they might.

Unless the implication was we not do cute at all, which the ship has CLEARLY sailed on that.