Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

2nd server for free to play players

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm my opinion blizzard perfected the game time from real money to game currency. It allowed those with little time to farm game currency to spend there money time but a token they could sell on the ah for a set price (determined by the demand). To me this worked out for everyone. Those that work a lot and have little time to play could sell these tokens to players who had more time to play and farm in game currency to purchase the tokens, it's a give and take system. Now as far as the f2p over the p2p, I would just limit what the f2p have. Like for instance.. Less graphs, and other things you can cut back on sense by default they are not contributing to the progression of the game to help the team that payed out to design it to make there money back. And if f2p is that big of a problem... Then just don't offer it. Just go with a system that works to everyone's favor for game time. Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    [quote quote=4352]I’m my opinion blizzard perfected the game time from real money to game currency. It allowed those with little time to farm game currency to spend there money time but a token they could sell on the ah for a set price (determined by the demand). To me this worked out for everyone. Those that work a lot and have little time to play could sell these tokens to players who had more time to play and farm in game currency to purchase the tokens, it’s a give and take system. Now as far as the f2p over the p2p, I would just limit what the f2p have. Like for instance.. Less graphs, and other things you can cut back on sense by default they are not contributing to the progression of the game to help the team that payed out to design it to make there money back. And if f2p is that big of a problem… Then just don’t offer it. Just go with a system that works to everyone’s favor for game time. Just my thoughts on the matter.

[/quote]

Should peoples real life situation dictate how a game is played though? Just a concept that never sat well with me.
  • Options
    I always felt that it created a symbiotic relationship. Those with lots of time to play the game farm currant to be able to buy tokens from those without lots of time to play. So the currency of the game gets to those who have little time to play and can buy the tokens to sell. To me it seemed like a give and take, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    Personal opinion on the matter WoW did moderate it decently but it's still a pay to win style system with thier tokens buying gold for real money in turn people are buying gear carries and carries to get achievements early that they otherwise would not be able to earn them. However if I'm not mistaken there is a limit of how many tokens you can purchase for your cash so that helps the economy stay a bit more regulated.
  • Options
    You are right to some degree, but is that not exactly what currency farmers do. They farm the currency of the game there playing and sell it to other for real money to push themselves further... Wow just figured out a way to limit what they do and turn a profit for themselves.. Someone will always offer away to tip the scale of a game into the favor of those who can afford it.
  • Options
    [quote quote=4446]You are right to some degree, but is that not exactly what currency farmers do. They farm the currency of the game there playing and sell it to other for real money to push themselves further… Wow just figured out a way to limit what they do and turn a profit for themselves.. Someone will always offer away to tip the scale of a game into the favor of those who can afford it.

[/quote]

The ONLY reason why this token system works decently in WoW is because the in game gold can't really be used to buy all the top end game gear which is all Bind on Pickup.
    In a game like Archeage where all the top end gear is crafted and not bound, these tokens (APEX) completely destroy the game's economy and render it an absolute p2w mess.

From what the devs have said of AOC, crafters will be very important. Which may indicate that most top end gear will be crafted, and will likely be tradable. If that's the case, an APEX / token system like Archeage or WoW to by sub time will only create the same p2w problem Archeage has.
  • Options
    <blockquote>From what the devs have said of AOC, crafters will be very important. Which may indicate that most top end gear will be crafted, and will likely be tradable. If that’s the case, an APEX / token system like Archeage or WoW to by sub time will only create the same p2w problem Archeage has.</blockquote>

Well said.

With any MMO, there will be individuals that work the system to exchange in-game items/currency for real cash. This is almost entirely unable to be avoided if any player to player trading occurs. As for the original idea of a F2P server, I would personally find this ineffective. From past experience, successful games either 1) charge an upfront purchase price, 2) charge a monthly subscription, or 3) are free-to-play but with heavy amounts of micro-transactions as others have indicated. The third option typically is unable to be successful due to low capital for the developers to continually maintain and develop the game further. The second option ensures a continual stream of income that somewhat correlates to the overall satisfaction of the player community (keep players happy, they will stay subscribed, and you will make money). Option 1 is great for an initial influx of cash, but will eventually result in low income for the developers as time moves on.

Overall, the subscription model is the best means of allowing the greatest number of players to join while also satisfying financial objectives. Plus, it helps to weed out trolls / non-productive community members.

Wow... this sounded really business-like and I apologize. I started off just wanting to agree with previous people. >.<
  • Options
    Please..before create a lot of servers, just think in something to prevent people from create a lot of alternative characters to make money. Nobody says it, but what f.cked up archeage is the fact that you have like 5 alternative chars for each player. I know players that have more than 70 accounts, only to make money to main account or sell gold for real money. This people use lands but dont do nothing in game but login, sell things on ah, logout.

Thats why they have dead servers and even on mostly of them you cant find lands to put your house at.

Please, make alts be illegal.
  • Options
    free to play servers only fill up with gold farmer spammers and bots, which will be out before any beta even ends. Regulation is too difficult to report and ban those trying to abuse the systems in place for any kind of free to play server. MY most recent evidence with this is Tree of Savior if you doubt this, jump on there and go to either of the starter cities and watch the spam fly. Besides the posts don't do much other than incite posting wars.
  • Options
    I don't even understand OPs statement " everyone don’t like f2p players to play with them". Granted I pretty much only play MMORPGs but I haven't ever heard of this issue.
  • Options
    A f2p server is unnecessary if the game doesn't go pay to win. And I trust Steven, so I doubt the game will go P2W. Also... a F2P server is pointless. Utterly pointless. If I bought a few gear and items from the 2nd server, I would just have to trade it all for a cheap price on the F2P server. That is an easy way to go rich on the F2P server. I would go on, and trade my gear into the F2P server, and kill all the people who have little/small gear. So, kinda pointless.