Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Summoner: What do you hope....

This is my hope.

Starting the game. Making my character, designing his appearance and choosing the summoner class. Opening up with the basic skills. Swing weapon and a light attack. Struggling, working on simple fights that regular casters and fighters plow through.

Challening to survive... then..

The first summon. (no clue what it will be, this is just an example.)
A musclely beast. It charges into the enemy then punches and slams with an ground AoE. I dash this way and that kiting enemies into the AoE to be pulled into attacking my summon. Attacking the same enemy it is. Letting it do the lion's share of the damage while I work to control the field of battle when solo. Hopefully having a heal that works on the Summon to keep it alive.

Without the summon everything is a challenge, with the summon it changes everything for the summoner. 

I read the summoner won't be a caster with a pet that's just additional damage but key to everything the summoner is.

Summoner is the summon, the player is backup and support for it or them.

Comments

• well im assuming since its part of the necromancer combination that it will either have pets that fear players away or pets that leech hp back to you as those 2 keys are fundamentals 101 for a necromancer class which i  made discussing that class in my other thread if you want to check it out and give your thoughts. 
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/38974/any-time-frame-on-classes-abilities-info#latest
  • I would much rather a summoner that can summon various 'parts' of monsters like giant fist from the sky and so on, I always found the standard summoners pretty boring :3
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    It sounds really cool! I'm planning on making a summoner and a cleric at first to see what's up. Funny enough, the classes I'm interested in are Shaman and Necromancer, so I guess I'll be lacking a bit in the diversity department.. But hey! I'm gonna play them anyway lol.

I'm actually glad that it's more than a mage with pets. Underwhelming pets are super lame in MMOs. I'd love to see the ability to customize the various things you summon based on preference instead of just getting an upgrade every few levels. Or quest paths that let you make contracts with higher-level creatures/beings.

The pet being relevant is the most crucial part, for me, so this is really good news!

- Sikuba
  • Sikuba said:
    It sounds really cool! I'm planning on making a summoner and a cleric at first to see what's up. Funny enough, the classes I'm interested in are Shaman and Necromancer, so I guess I'll be lacking a bit in the diversity department.. But hey! I'm gonna play them anyway lol.

I'm actually glad that it's more than a mage with pets. Underwhelming pets are super lame in MMOs. I'd love to see the ability to customize the various things you summon based on preference instead of just getting an upgrade every few levels. Or quest paths that let you make contracts with higher-level creatures/beings.

The pet being relevant is the most crucial part, for me, so this is really good news!

- Sikuba
    Im also into necromancer, mainly because i really enjoyed the necro from gw2, however, i hope that AoC necro isnt just constant summoning of pets. I really enjoyed Gw2 necro because they gave you like 3 different builds on how to play him, from minion heavy, to dot heavy, to just life leech.

I almost feel like  a bard and cleric would make a better choice for necro, bard's description seems like he will have fear abilities, and necro usually has that, almost feels like summoner, bard and cleric would make the perfect necro lol.
  • I hope summoner be something else than just a damage dealer. Maybe more like support or hybrid of these two roles. I guess all summons does not need to be pets and maybe summoner could be possessed and turn to some demon or animal f.e.