Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you think Cash shop cosmetics should compare to In game cosmetics?

Hello guys. I decided to make this poll to get some feedback from the silent people that sometimes only lurk and don't post or comment on the forums. I also made it Private so people can vote without fear of being judged.

Some context is always good.

There is a topic that has been going around for a while now about microtransactions and whether or not they are good, bad, or neutral for a game. you can find the topic here.

What I want to know is not whether or not you think the cash shop should or should not exist, since it is a fact that it will exist in ashes of creation, so debating that, to me seems pointless. Besides it has been talked about a 'lot in the topic I linked above.

We know by now that there will be plenty of cosmetics in-game; And that some of those cosmetics earned in-game will be on par with those bought from the cash shop. We also know that some cosmetics will be cash shop exclusive.
We don't know, at this time, if there will be in-game exclusive cosmetics that you can't find in the cash shop.

Basically I want to know how do you feel about the cosmetics that you find in both the game and the cash shop; and those that are cash shop exclusive.

Also, when I say superior I mean how cool they look, the Special effects, auras, particle effects. I understand it is very subjective especially when talking about cosmetics, since what I find good looking might be very different to what other person finds good looking. It is Also situational, someone that wants to roleplay as a beggar or hermit will think some rags to be superior to that shiny armor. But even having that in mind I want to know how people feel about this topic.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    If you pay for a limited edition skin like the Kickstarter skin, then it should be limited. I feel that the game should have an excellent choice of skins or looks in the base game for people so you are not forced to buy skins to look unique. but as a collector of items I like to have one-off items  and not just have a recolour in the game but that's just me 
  • Options
    I think it depends on the exclusivity of the item in the cash shop and the difficulty of acquiring the in-game cosmetics.
  • Options
    Depends on how hard it is to acquire I definately dont want to see in game cosmetics looking worse than the cash shop ones, in fact I think that the ones that we can buy in the shop and the ones unlocked in game should be completly different.

As for the cosmetics from Intrepid packs, KS and Summer they should all be exclusive.
  • Options
    Depends on how hard it is to acquire I definately dont want to see in game cosmetics looking worse than the cash shop ones, in fact I think that the ones that we can buy in the shop and the ones unlocked in game should be completly different.

As for the cosmetics from Intrepid packs, KS and Summer they should all be exclusive.
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
  • Options
    I really want everything earned 'in-game', so everything earned in game should be nicer than what's in the cash shop.  It's been said that dyes will be sold in the cash shop so people could re-color that way; even though I would like a crafter, say alchemist, to be able to make dyes instead.
  • Options
    I do like the thought of seasonal, holiday, etc. type skins to be cash shop only. If Ashes does decide to do an Xmas theme I prefer not finding that skin over something that can be used year round (assuming I don't want to look like Santa all the time).

I like the thought of cosmetics looking different as far as colors and stuff goes in the cash shop, but I don't think the cash shop should have a lot of cosmetics that can't be found in the game either.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    If you pay for a limited edition skin like the Kickstarter skin, then it should be limited. I feel that the game should have an excellent choice of skins or looks in the base game for people so you are not forced to buy skins to look unique. but as a collector of items I like to have one-off items  and not just have a recolour in the game but that's just me 
    + monthly store items are exclusives rn.

• Options
    Xombie said:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
    hehehe nope ;)
  • Options
    I am fashion over function, so cash shop cosmetics being better than in-game cosmetics is no different than p2w, for me. Might be even worse than what most people typically think is wrong with p2w since I am not as enticed by power as I am by appearance.

I'm probably OK with the KS and Summer exclusives.
    I think of those as a separate category, I guess.
  • Options
    I think top tier gear in-game should look better than cash shop items. I don't think the cash shop should have re-colors of the nicest stuff found in game. There should be stuff in game that is wholly unique and can't be bought.
  • Options
    so glad people are voting. was afraid nobody cared about this and this topic would just sink into the depths.
  • Options
    I feel like you are Missing an option. One more option would be
    Skins From the Cash shop should be unique and limited, but not as to be superior to Difficult obtained gear.

Bring a sense of balance, make the cash shop offer unique items that are nice, that forces ppl to buy them, but if they are better looking than some difficult gear than there becomes no point on grinding those out. 
  • Options
    I'm of the mind that the cash shop shouldn't have any kind of exclusivity, and everything in it should be somehow obtainable through game means. So maybe that's why I didn't think of that one. xD
  • Options
    I know the wallet-warriors like to feel superior. However I think all models should be available in-game.

Maybe just allow in-game items to have one or two levels of dyeing while cash shop ones can be fully dye-able. Or have the in-game ones to be just armor while the cash shop can be a skin. That way it is more convenient for the cash-jockeys than the normal playerbase.

Aside my snippy comments on the fact I think cash shops can be a great boon to the game. You can find a look you really like and buy it and dye it exactly how you want. The important thing is to not alienate the playerbase.

As long as there is the option to get every appearance through in-game means, I will not complain about the cash shop. I'll be upgrading to lifetime sub soon so don't get me wrong, I will be spending money on the cash shop as long as it is balanced.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I woudl prefer cash shop exclusives to help with sales.
    I would like in-game exclusives that are of equal status that must be acquired through effort only.
    Seems to make the cash shop viable and the game.

But thats rarely the way things work when those $$$ signs are flashing in front of your eyes.
  • Options
    I hope they don't do like some MMO's do and seem to add the cool stuff in the shop
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    I know the wallet-warriors like to feel superior. However I think all models should be available in-game.

Maybe just allow in-game items to have one or two levels of dyeing while cash shop ones can be fully dye-able. Or have the in-game ones to be just armor while the cash shop can be a skin. That way it is more convenient for the cash-jockeys than the normal playerbase.

Aside my snippy comments on the fact I think cash shops can be a great boon to the game. You can find a look you really like and buy it and dye it exactly how you want. The important thing is to not alienate the playerbase.

As long as there is the option to get every appearance through in-game means, I will not complain about the cash shop. I'll be upgrading to lifetime sub soon so don't get me wrong, I will be spending money on the cash shop as long as it is balanced.
    Why would you want cash-shop exclusives to have more options than the in-game versions? What would be the point of putting forth all the effort to find these things in game, just for them to be some k-mart brand compared to the "Im not good enough to find this stuff in game" store.
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    Loyheta said:

Why would you want cash-shop exclusives to have more options than the in-game versions? What would be the point of putting forth all the effort to find these things in game, just for them to be some k-mart brand compared to the "Im not good enough to find this stuff in game" store.
    Fair point mr !truffles xD

I guess that will show the true colors of the cash shop. If the devs make them superior then they are leaning more towards the cash shop rather than earning in-game.
  • Options
    I had already posted this in the microtransactions thread but I figured it fits here as well even though it just my Opinion.
     In my opinion. Cosmetics earned through in-game time and effort should show that you killed that badass boss, or solved that riddle nobody could figure out, or held your own in a monster coin event, or were the last man standing in that pvp tournament. Not show how heavy your wallet is.

They are a badge of honor that demonstrates a feat of strength, or intelligence, or dexterity, and should be worn with honor so that everyone knows what you were able to accomplish, not what you were able to pay for.

That's just my humble opinion.

• Options
    Loyheta said:
    Holy-Shiv said:
    Loyheta said:

Fair point mr !truffles xD

I guess that will show the true colors of the cash shop. If the devs make them superior then they are leaning more towards the cash shop rather than earning in-game.
    HAHAHAHA its you!!!!!!!
  • Options
    they should both be the same. but limited items should look better than items that are not
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I am fashion over function, so cash shop cosmetics being better than in-game cosmetics is no different than p2w, for me. Might be even worse than what most people typically think is wrong with p2w since I am not as enticed by power as I am by appearance.

Cosmetics is not p2w. Period.regardless if you or anyone else thinks otherwise. That said the balance of a cash shop to me....cosmetics only. While how cool something looks in general is certainly subjective to each individual ...i feel the best looking cosmetics and mounts should be earned in game. Nothing unique should be in cash shop...at best it should be a recolor from an in game earned item. My final feeling is my strongest feeling on cash shops...no items that are only obtainable by a difficult and/or long task should ever be in cash shop even as a recolor. So no mounts from defeating a difficult raid for example. You want that mount. .raid.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I think that it should be varied. Varied enough that some things in game are cool and some things on the cash shop are cool.

Personally I think prices need to come down on the cash shop overall, and that some items obtainable in game through achievements / drop should be better than anything you can buy of that type, and I don't mind if those things are hard to get. - By 'hard' I mean either very lucky or at personal time / skill, not necessarily being leader of a raid or something always, ie can be achieved on your own sometimes. That all being said, sometimes there needs to be incentive to spend money, so should be some excellent looking things in the shop also.

The only thing I worry about is the game will become some weird circus looking thing, if anyone's logged into Guild Wars 2 in the last year or two you'll probably know what I mean. That or everyone who uses the cash shop will look good and everyone else will look like dull brown garbed peasants.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Cosmetics is not p2w. Period.regardless if you or anyone else thinks otherwise. That said the balance of a cash shop to me....cosmetics only. While how cool something looks in general is certainly subjective to each individual ...i feel the best looking cosmetics and mounts should be earned in game. Nothing unique should be in cash shop...at best it should be a recolor from an in game earned item. My final feeling is my strongest feeling on cash shops...no items that are only obtainable by a difficult and/or long task should ever be in cash shop even as a recolor. So no mounts from defeating a difficult raid for example. You want that  mount...beat the raid.
  • Options
    yeah unless the actual end game is a fashion contest where we vote on the best looking character there is no way cash shop appearances can be construed as p2w. To me I've always wanted cash shop stuff to be convenient. After reading stuff in this thread I do agree that stuff paid for with money and not work should be lesser than in-game obtained variants.

Now I have thrown a little money here and there for these nice looking things (griffin and raptor lol) and I would have purchased more if I: 
    • Knew if similar versions could be earned in-game
    • Prices came down a bit
    • Knew a bit more of their stance on exclusivity and what they mean by that

I really want to know if exclusive skins are just a specific color or if the whole model or texture is exclusive. Now if there is going to be raptors I can earn in-game that are just colored differently then I am fine with that. If I can get similar armor skin models with different textures... hmmm maybe.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Not having a Cash Shop in the Game at all
  • Options
    There *was* that camo suit in Black Desert Online which made your nameplate disappear making it very hard for other players to spot you. From the cash shop. But that's not strictly cosmetic at all, and couldn't really be argued as such.
  • Options
    Bottom line the best looking Items should always look superior to what you can purchase PERIOD.

When games have the best looking stuff in cash shops, it cheapens the experience.

Is pure Cosmetics PTW no if it's pure cosmetics it's mot PTW.

Is it any less important NO appearance in game is very important. Traditionally in games you don't pay for the way you look. Appearance shows your rite of passage, what your experience in the game is. What surmounting challenges you have overcome. 

When bought items look better than items earned it cheapens the game experience.

Why do we play games to buy our way to the top to buy our way to look better?

Unfortunately because many huge publishing companies have bought and transformed many of the developing companies we once loved and transformed them into cash chow machines. Firing anyone who bucks the Cash Grab mantra and mission or stripping and converting once great companies and just using their REP to pump out cash grab games.

So one of the mission statements is that AOC wants to do something better that the typical Cash Grab companies that are flooding the market today. So why have a cash shop even if it is just for Cosmetics. Doesn't it contradict that goal?

Maybe AOC will be that middle grounds company in the madness that is a baine to gaming. 

Hopefully Cash Shop items will not be superior to ingame items just different, I have my doubts when it comes to this one things for AOC tho everything else I love. 

To remove that doubt it has to be earned tho I will not trust blindly when it comes to cash shops and I hope AOC earns it. But it remains the one Red Flag I have for the game but it is a huge red flag in my books.

But I'm not and AOC hater far from it I really do hope the game succeeds it has soo many wonderful Ideas. Steve seems very genuine and passionate about the game.  I think at this point all we can do is have our discussions and voice our concerns and I am sure Steve reads these posts. I think and hope he will weigh the concerns we have as how the cash shops are done and at the end of it all he handles it in a way we can all agree with for that only time will tell.

Until then all we can do is post our appreciations for the things that we like and concerns that we have and respect each other while we all go on this journey together as a community.

I have made some great friends in this community as well as many others where we are often on opposing sides of debates or discussions. I don't think there is a right side or a wrong side to this just how we all personally feel.

One thing you definitely have to love about AOC forums, it welcomes all view points and you don't see any attempts to silence or moderate post that may be in apposition. That speaks a lot about the Company and Steve.

This is probably one of the best most positive Forums I have seen for a game in a long time even with opposing views. 

I still believe strongly in the game as a whole but truthfully I still have doubts about Cosmetic Cash shops.

• Options
    Thought this was funny. So I'm just going to leave it here.

But it would be sad if it turns into reality.
  • Options
    I personally believe that either one of two possible systems would work well for a game like Ashes.

The first system is that when developers create a new look, it is graded as either tier one, two or three.

Tier one is put in the game as fairly easily obtained items, crafted, quested, whatever.

Tier two go up on the store.

Tier three are the best looking items, and should be put in the game as rewards for long and difficult quest lines, or as a drop from a difficult and/or rare encounter.

The second system that I believe could work well is for every look in the game to have three color channels.

Any look can then be added to the game in a fairly basic manner, where all three channels are locked to a specific color. The same look could also be added to the game via a different means (say, an expensive crafted piece) that unlocks one or two of the channels so that players can dye them. The item can then be added to the game in a third manner via the store, where all three color channels are open to be dyed.

This system means no individual look is exclusive to the store, but players wanting a very specific look in a very specific color may be best served by spending a few dollars.