Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Yet another PvP game with a "Reputation" system?

Ashes of Creation looked so promising, my wife and I both invested heavily into the game in order to play early Alpha. But now I'm wondering if we'll play at all. When are developers going to learn that there are PvE players and there are PvP players, and non-consensual PvP makes all the PvP players happy, but makes many of the PvE players unhappy. Why force non-consensual PvP on all of us who find the game mechanics appealing, but are not interested in being forced to play PvP?

And of all the ways to handle non-consensual PvP, yet another reputation system? This didn't work in UO, doesn't work in ArcheAge, sucks to all holy hell in Albion Online, and it won't work in Ashes. More importantly, if implemented across all servers will totally destroy what could have been a great game.

I only check in here once in a while, so someone please tell me that I'm misunderstanding, that they are only talking about non-consensual PvP on certain servers, and that there will indeed be PvE-only servers.

Comments

• Options
    Where have you been that you invested heavily in Ashes without being aware of the PvP system???
    Ashes never had separate servers for PvP combat in its game design.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Dygz said:
    Where have you been that you invested heavily in Ashes without being aware of the PvP system???
    Ashes never had separate servers for PvP combat in its game design.
    QFT.....its not as if you had to read small print. Intrepid have been openly expressing the need for PvE to build the nodes and PvP to destroy them. Its what makes the game dynamic and ever changing....and most importantly ..mutually dependant.
  • Options
    OP,

Are you saying you ponied up ~$400-500 per person without reading too much into understanding what you're backing, and now you're complaining about PVP elements in this game? It's been a whole year since the Kickstarter!

I have no words.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nah, if you look at his previous comments he was a $225 PAX package purchaser, months after these issues had been discussed, debated, and were readily available as information. If he bought a pack for his wife also then he is in the $450-500 range of support, but if that amount is considered significant by their budget, you think they would do their background research. Guess not.

• Options
    Here's the thing, this isn't a watered down justice system like Archeage, but before we get to that, its an open world game.   That means there is a risk of dying to other players every time you set foot outside your door.

With that said, if someone attacks you and you don't fight back they get corruption.

Once corrupted they stay corrupted until they die.  When they die they will take x3-x4 the normal death penalty (experience points wise).

Plus, corrupted players have a chance to drop gear.  The more corrupted they are, the higher the drop gear chance.

With that said, the days of "PvE Servers" are over.   Pretty much every game on the horizon is moving towards the sandbox open-world mentality. 

• Options
    Perhaps.
    Except Ashes is a Themebox.

I think Bless Online was trying to be a sandbox, FFA PvP game, but...
    Too much of the fanbase hated that, so they have PvP-immunity potions for the folks who wish to avoid PvP combat.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Jahlon said:
    but before we get to that, its an open world game.   That means there is a risk of dying to other players every time you set foot outside your door.
    That isn't what open world means.

Open world games are games where the outside world is not broken up in to smaller chunks - or zones - with loading screens in between, and where there is an amount of freedom to go to any part of the world a player wishes.

Skyrim is as much an open world game as Ashes will be, yet you don't have a risk of dying to other players in that game.

I think what you are getting confused with is open PvP games. That is a game in which a player is free to attack another player at any time. This in turn means a player is always at risk of being attacked.

Ashes of Creation is an open world game that has PvP, but is not and has never been an open PvP game.
  • Options
    @Wanderlust_AOC
    You don't know when, or if, we will be able to play the Alpha?
    End of Q3, first of Q4. Also, if you are excited to play I feel you will even be more let down by having to test. You did not pay for early access like many other games do now.

Like many others have said here, if the $225 each is enough for you to worry about now there was plenty of information the two of you could have read to avoid that.

Ashes was always, and hopefully, will always be a PvX game. There is no such thing as non-consensual PvP in this game. I have heard this term a lot recently. By purchasing, logging in, and playing you are agreeing to play in a world where a PvP bro might attack you for no reason. Playing the game is equal to consent to PvP.

I really find the 'non-consensual PvP' term odd in several of the recent post.
  • Options
    I find if weird in the first place that you would invest anywhere above 100$ into a game without checking all of the avalible information.
  • Options
    Eh ashes is still marketed as a PVX game. Corruption wasn't mentioned until after Kickstarter. I backed high and the mechanic won't prevent me from playing (even though I have problems with it) as long as game play is good and challenging.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Corruption was mentioned waaay before the Kickstarter was even announced.

Here is an explanation of the corruption system that happened during an Interview with MMOGames published on January 11th of 2017 nearly 4 months Before Kickstarter happened, here is the link in case you want to read it all.

Mentioned again on January 20th here.

• Options
    @Santy182 thank you. I don't usually follow non-official pages so I must have missed that since it was never on the ashes Kickstarter or website. 
  • Options
    @Argentdawn There were multiple interviews given before Kickstarter that mentioned the pvp system and corruption. Livestreams produced by them that were on the site. And all during Kickstarter when we got a stream every couple days was mentioned and gone over multiple times. The OPs claim that he was somehow hoodwinked is weaksauce, and that is why multiple people have pointed it out. I'll give a link to the wiki (which I know wasn't around then) which gives you links to all that different before May 2017 material as a starting point.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=corruption
  • Options

Yea I'm not trying to argue I know you guys are right I'm just saying other than content created by fans... This is what you see. Do I think the OP was lied to of course not. The only point I'm trying to make is on the official site information was and still is lacking. 
  • Options

From the FAQ page on the first navigation About tab.

How does PvP work in Ashes of Creation?

PvP in Ashes of Creation is intended to be both organized and organic. We want to create an atmosphere where PvP is meaningful by utilizing different systems that create fluid PvP events including: Castle Sieges, City defense/assaults, Caravans, and a scenario-based Arena combat. For our open world, we have designed a flagging system that severely deters people from griefing other players. Much more will be explained in great detail, in our upcoming developer blogs.

How will PvE work in Ashes of Creation?

One of the main philosophical pillars behind our design was that PvE must be impactful and inclusive. We want solo players, small groups and large groups to all have a home within our system. With monsters throughout the world, challenging raid bosses, new dungeons spawning as your world develops, and scalable challenges, we know that each player will have a complete PvE experience. Our Node system allows the constant generation of new PvE content such as questlines, monsters, dungeons and even raid bosses as well!

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/faq/

• Options
    But even that only references griefing (not single kills or motive based kills) I realise it's semantics and personal interpretation of the wording. We are still waiting for the developer blog with "great detail". 
  • Options
    Soon
  • Options
    First a bit of a rant.
    it's true, no point in defending it. I also think that this information should be on the official website by now the info and multimedia in the website is very outdated and incomplete. After all, it's very much confirmed information.
    They may be holding out because they want the perfect dev blogs they have been teasing for SO long. But it's obvious by now they don't have time to make said blogs.
    So this info should be in there even if only the links to the official live streams and links to the interviews that hold the information. People shouldn't be required to be following the game from day 1, or go scramble the web + discord + forums for information that could easily be showcased on the official website.

The lack of information and multimedia like pictures, art, gameplay in the official website is not a good thing. Someone new will Look at the website only, and if they see only 2-year-old stuff in there without any progress that person may be turned away due to lack of info. I mean look at the concept art folder in the official site and you see only a couple pictures that are 2 years old, with no indication on where to find the plethora of new pictures and videos that have been released since then.

What is being said is that the information was out there, it was not hidden, so; if the OP thought it was a big investment he would have at least looked around to see what information was out there before investing, or, on the other hand, if he didn't care because it was very little money for him then he shouldn't be complaining either.

• Options
    "I didn't look where I was going and I crashed into a tree.  Whoever put that tree there without informing me needs to pay."
  • Options
    But even that only references griefing (not single kills or motive based kills) I realise it's semantics and personal interpretation of the wording. We are still waiting for the developer blog with "great detail". 
    The corruption system won't stop you from killing someone you want to kill.

Details above what we have, though, won't come until - as a guess - beta. That is over a year away. We know almost everything about the system other than what the number are, and Intrepid won't know them until they test them.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Long story short
    • Open World PvP is categorized by 3 Colors - Green, Purple and Red
    • Green is default, Purple is for PvP and Red are for those who wrongfully PKed another.player due to ... *ahem* ... " certain circumstances "
    •  (it will be long trying to explain in full-detail pertaining to those "circumstances")
    The Player who has acquired the Red name will be marked on the Map towards those who are apart of the Military Node ( after breaching Stage 3 i think ) . Thats when the Bounty Hunter System is initiated.

Regardless of the Node Stage, the Red Named Player's Stats will be getting weaker-&-weaker the more they PK.

You're probably asking:
    • What about before Military Node Stage 3 ? What if a Military Node is prevented from forming due to a Server-Wide Troll Fest ? 
    • So What ? Thats not going to stop them ( or individually )  from PKing other Players. 
    • What about the Map ? Is there a certain parameter ; do i have to get close enough to the Red Player to spot him on my Map ? Or will it be, by default, see-able to all Military Node Citizens ? If so, when i get close enough to the Player ... will his exact coordinates be left vague ? etc ...
    Even if i missed some other important notes ...  ( any you may want to add ? ) ... they haven't really tested it yet 

( or rather, last i checked )

They're still testing out the Servers for Alpha 0 - focusing on the technical side first ( and other things

Hoped this helped in some way @Wanderlust_AOC
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    Long story short
    • Open World PvP is categorized by 3 Colors - Green, Purple and Red
    • Green is default, Purple is for PvP and Red are for those who wrongfully PKed another.player due to ... *ahem* ... " certain circumstances "
    •  (it will be long trying to explain in full-detail pertaining to those "circumstances")
    The Player who has acquired the Red name will be marked on the Map towards those who are apart of the Military Node ( after breaching Stage 3 i think ) . Thats when the Bounty Hunter System is initiated.

Regardless of the Node Stage, the Red Named Player's Stats will be getting weaker-&-weaker the more they PK.

You're probably asking:
    • What about before Military Node Stage 3 ? What if a Military is prevented from a Military Node of forming to due to a Server-Wide Troll Fest ? 
    • So What ? Thats not going to stop them ( or individually )  from PKing other Players. 
    • What about the Map ? Is there a certain parameter ; do i have to get close enough to the Red Player to spot him on my Map ? Or will it be, by default, see-able to all Military Node Citizens ? If so, when i get close enough to the Player ... will his exact coordinates be left vague ? etc ...
    Even if i missed some other important notes ...  ( any you may want to add ? ) ... they haven't really tested it yet 

( or rather, last i checked )

They're still testing out the Servers for Alpha 0 - focusing on the technical side first ( and other things

Hoped this helped in some way @Wanderlust_AOC
    One point to make...

Bounty Hunting is not simply activated on all military node citizens of a given node level.

First, the node has to build a specific building. As not all available buildings can be built, not all military nodes will build this building.

Second, the player needs to activate the Bounty Hunter title, which means losing any benefits of other titles - if any.

From there, the bounty hunter is able to see any corrupt players on their mini map, up to a certain range.
  • Options
    Is there a quote available for being a citizen of a Military node being required to obtain the quest and title?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Dygz said:
    Is there a quote available for being a citizen of a Military node being required to obtain the quest and title?
    No, but it was first mentioned as being available in a Military node, so people have ran with it. Will go get you some source material and edit this later.

Taverns

• Features
    • Bounty System will be available here

Bounty Hunter

• Locations of Corrupted players will be marked on the map, if you have the Bounty Hunter Title
    • Title can be obtained from a Quest once Bounty hunter has been unlocked.
    • Bounty Hunter unlockes from a military zoned, stage 4 (town) node
    • The Bounty Hunter ability will have an on/off toggle with a cooldown of several minutes. [12]

[43:05] Karma, flagging, theft, death, bounty hunters:

1. Bounty hunter will be a skill that lets you track corrupted players.

When the location is revealed via corruption, is it specific or an area?

1. Depends on your progression within bounty hunter system
    2. Expert bounty hunter will get really specific locations
    3. Requires a lot of balance
    And from the Jan 2017 Stream, the one that kicked it all off for people believing that they will only be able to get it from military citizenship.

With all the different types of PVP in Aoc, how do you guys plan to deal with griefers, camping etc. Will there be a system in place to counter outlaws?

1. As an example, the location of these corrupt players will be displayed on the map, If you have a Bounty Hunter title, which can be obtained through a quest available to a citizen from a military zoned, stage 4 (town) node. These are systems that we’re still working on, but corruption is something we want to provide explicit gameplay opportunities for.
  • Options
    Thanks. Much appreciated!!
    I'm aware of the one you posted, but don't remember hearing that we have to be a citizen of the node to get the quest/title.

• Options

With all the different types of PVP in Aoc, how do you guys plan to deal with griefers, camping etc. Will there be a system in place to counter outlaws?

1. As an example, the location of these corrupt players will be displayed on the map, If you have a Bounty Hunter title, which can be obtained through a quest available to a citizen from a military zoned, stage 4 (town) node. These are systems that we’re still working on, but corruption is something we want to provide explicit gameplay opportunities for.
    Obviously this is subject to change from what is being said here, but...

If implemented exactly as described here it would be interesting to see if players need to remain citizens of military nodes in order to be Bounty Hunters, or if they only need to be citizens of them in order to get the quest that allows it, and can then change citizenship to a different node type.
  • Options

If implemented exactly as described here it would be interesting to see if players need to remain citizens of military nodes in order to be Bounty Hunters, or if they only need to be citizens of them in order to get the quest that allows it, and can then change citizenship to a different node type.
    Since they are all about player agency and choices having consequences <speculation> my take is that they will make the questline available above a certain node type/level, once earned you will have the toggle option and ability to work on it. The social organization that is connected to bounty hunting <more speculation> fighters guild, may only be based in military nodes, just like the merchants guild may only be based in economic ones and so on. Citizenship will not be required to join those organizations as that would restrict the choices that they have been so hard at promoting as their "thing" over the last year and half. Remember, many of the quotes from before Kickstarter (so pre-May 2017) no actual systems work had been done really. They basically stated that this last livestream. So ideas that they thought were going to fit most likely have been adjusted to make them work in the overall experience/narrative.
  • Options
    Thanks, again, for the quotes!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I didn't say I didn't know there would be PvP, lol, I was aware of the general game description when I bought in, I'm simply expressing my disappointment at the idea of anywhere, anytime "non-consensual" PvP. Yes, I understand that, by buying the game and playing it in light of the known rule set, being subject to PvP is consensual in that sense. What I mean by "non-consensual PvP" is that I can be attacked anytime anywhere even if I am not interested in it at the time. Whatever you may think of a game like Elder Scrolls Online, they have a form of structured PvP that makes perfect sense and was hella fun to play. But you only had to deal with PvP if you chose to enter Cyrodil; everywhere else in the world it was an non issue. No need for a reputation system, no need to punish anyone, and very clean lines for distinguishing between "consensual" and "non-consensual".

No, Jahlon, the days of PvE servers are not over. The most popular MMOs in the industry segregate PvP from PvE and tens of millions of players like it like that. Non-consensual PvP is still niche. Unfortunately, those games disappoint in their own ways, and so the attraction of Ashes to me was promising, as I said in my original post, even though I was very aware of the PvP aspect. I'm sure there are plenty of you guys reading this who had serious reservations about a game but tried it anyway, that's what I'm going to do and I have no regrets. The last time I checked, a forum was a place to express opinions and that's all I'm doing. I've yet to see a reputation system that works and the zillions of complaints about this one all over these forums tells me this one is headed for similar disappointment. But that's what you get when you give every anonymous player the ability to grief others; you have to disincent them by punishing them.

We will play in Alpha and hope to see the game evolve to be as fun as it promises to be. But I remain disappointed that griefers are going to have a new playground among us.

• Options

Since they are all about player agency and choices having consequences <speculation> my take is that they will make the questline available above a certain node type/level, once earned you will have the toggle option and ability to work on it. The social organization that is connected to bounty hunting <more speculation> fighters guild, may only be based in military nodes, just like the merchants guild may only be based in economic ones and so on. Citizenship will not be required to join those organizations as that would restrict the choices that they have been so hard at promoting as their "thing" over the last year and half. Remember, many of the quotes from before Kickstarter (so pre-May 2017) no actual systems work had been done really. They basically stated that this last livestream. So ideas that they thought were going to fit most likely have been adjusted to make them work in the overall experience/narrative.
    It would be interesting if they tied bounty hunting to a social organization rather than to a node type - even if that organization was then itself tied to a node type.

While Intrepid are all about player agency, they are also about preventing things from remaining static. Adding in quests for each node type that provide the player with a reward even if they change citizenship doesn't seem like it would go against what they are trying to do - at least not to me.

That, to me, is encouraging players to be more fluid.