Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What profession? Why? and your thoughts about what it may be like?

Hey guys, just wondering what everyones choice on a profession and why? Also what are your preconceived ideas on that said profession. 

My personal choice is going to be alchemy. Ive always been fascinated by it. In any game I've played, the joys of going out in search of that certain ingredient or particular solvent is so engrossing. Im hoping for there to be some sort of intricate alchemy system kinda like Morrowind (which Im sure most of you have played or still play <---- me!!) and BDO. It would be super cool to have chances at failing a mixture. As well, at higher levels requiring less materials than before to make potions of the same quality.

Look forward to hearing your guys ideas and thoughts on the professions!

Comments

• Options
    I'm positive I'll main one of the casters, either an archwizard, or warlock if they dont ruin it with summons. That said, I'll probably be a tailor or enchanter, just so it's useful for my class.
  • Options
    I'll have to see how the profession systems goes. I like the idea of making wood based weapons perhaps, bows and staffs. Alchy sounds good too though.
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    I'm positive I'll main one of the casters, either an archwizard, or warlock if they dont ruin it with summons. That said, I'll probably be a tailor or enchanter, just so it's useful for my class.

@Holy-Shiv I feel you there. I'm planning on rolling a shaman, with the same feelings as you about the summons but who knows, right? What do you think would go into tailoring and enchanting,material wise?
    Manytrees said:
    I'll have to see how the profession systems goes. I like the idea of making wood based weapons perhaps, bows and staffs. Alchy sounds good too though.
    @Manytrees Im a bit skeptical as well. With wood based crafting, in your opinion, what would it be like if you could only specialize in one weapon-type?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Animal Husbandry because I'd like to be the Charles Darwin of pet breeding like I was for Wizard101.
    But...!
    The potion launchers revealed in last week's dev stream have me interested in whatever Profession crafts those.

I loved Alchemy in KOA: Reckoning. Especially since I was the one doing most of the discovery for which combinations of reagents created what type of potions, jotting down the apparent alchemical traits of the herbs and then posting them to wiki.
  • Options
    Wagon making. I want everyone traveling to buy one of my caravans to transport their goods. I am hoping one person can make the entire wagon, but it has been hinted that wagon building might require a few different crafts. :fingerscrossed:
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I like the idea of specializing in crafting swords but because of my play style, i'll probably go some kind of gathering or processing profession. Whatever my node's economy needs.
  • Options
    I'll be focusing on animal taming and husbandry. I love my spreadsheets I use for horses in BDO! I love capturing,  leveling them, planning out pairs, and recording results... its fun for me.  I just hope it isn't as rng heavy.
  • Options
    I'm planning to focus on being a shipwright, so woodworking for me. If the points I've put into it allow me to make good weapons and other items then I'll likely do some of that too to help earn a more steady stream of income.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    Wagon making. I want everyone traveling to buy one of my caravans to transport their goods. I am hoping one person can make the entire wagon, but it has been hinted that wagon building might require a few different crafts. :fingerscrossed:
    I also hope that you can, the only other craft I can think of it needing would be blacksmithing. But I do hope that you can have an all wood cart, though if they did it would just probably have low durability.
  • Options
    I like the idea of specializing in crafting swords but because of my play style, i'll probably go some kind of gathering or processing profession. Whatever my node's economy needs.
    That'd be cool. Do you think they'd break down the specialization into multiple categories? Such as one-handed and two-handed? Maybe make it to where you can make both but only become a master in one? 
  • Options
    Sivanna I never really got into that in BDO, mainly because I was focused on Alchemy haha  :D, I wonder if you could also breed pets to tame as well?
  • Options
    I'm planning to focus on being a shipwright, so woodworking for me. If the points I've put into it allow me to make good weapons and other items then I'll likely do some of that too to help earn a more steady stream of income.
    Shipwrights would be a cool profession to pursue. Are you going to sail around and adventure as well? That would be a good way to make some extra cash on the side. Maybe since you're focusing on making ships, you'd probably only be able to make small components that can be used in a few professions. They'd still be of high quality ,so you still would make a good buck on them.
  • Options
    Well i am going to think this through very carefully and share different professions between my characters and way that they all support each other. So there will be combination of gatherer, processer and crafter so i can be as far as i can self sufficient. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Well i am going to think this through very carefully and share different professions between my characters and way that they all support each other. So there will be combination of gatherer, processer and crafter so i can be as far as i can self sufficient. 
    Not saying that this is the wrong thing to do, but in a sense dont you think that it will take away from the economy? Dont get me wrong, I know of other players and have been one of those myself who do the self sufficient thing. Though it is nice to be able to gather, process and craft from all of your own mats, dont you think it takes away from the ups and downs of living in an economy? Its one of the things that makes this game so special. But thats just me and my opinion. The only downside, in my eyes, is the fact that splitting so much time between all those chars will make it difficult to progress on your main. Im not trying to criticize, don't take it that way I'm just trying to "Make MMO's great again" lol <------ Love this slogan haha
  • Options
    Irie707 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Not saying that this is the wrong thing to do, but in a sense dont you think that it will take away from the economy? Dont get me wrong, I know of other players and have been one of those myself who do the self sufficient thing. Though it is nice to be able to gather, process and craft from all of your own mats, dont you think it takes away from the ups and downs of living in an economy? Its one of the things that makes this game so special. But thats just me and my opinion. The only downside, in my eyes, is the fact that splitting so much time between all those chars will make it difficult to progress on your main. Im not trying to criticize, don't take it that way I'm just trying to "Make MMO's great again" lol <------ Love this slogan haha
    Well i am not going to play for the economy and the economy will be fine even some players would be almost totally self sufficient. There will be also players who dont participate to profession side at all and who just buys all their stuff, so all this will be balanced by players. ;)

And like i said "as far as i can be self sufficient", most likely i have to buy some ingredients to finnish the crafted items anyway. It usually takes some time to manage all the process, but not that much unless the whole system will be implemented under heavy time sink. It is not first time i will make detailed plans to manage professions and implement those in practise. If i have to loose from something, then i guess i will do less gathering. 

The class and race system is planned way, that we are going to see lots of alts from combat pov, so the professions goes nicely at the same time.
  • Options
    @Irie707 but also to your op, it is hard to say at this point where i am going to focus, because we have so less information so far related to professions. Usually i like to mine, smelt ore and be as a blacksmith, but this time it will depend which classes i will eventually play and what kind of items i need myself. So the pallette is totally open. Jewel crafting could be one option, because there will be 5 slots of different kind of wearable jewelry items.
  • Options
    That's exactly what I want to do!
    But not because I want to exclusively make ships.  My goal is to essentially make a "Capital Ship" of sorts and turn it in to a floating Pirate's Inn and Tavern.  B)

Irie707 said:
    Shipwrights would be a cool profession to pursue. Are you going to sail around and adventure as well? That would be a good way to make some extra cash on the side. Maybe since you're focusing on making ships, you'd probably only be able to make small components that can be used in a few professions. They'd still be of high quality ,so you still would make a good buck on them.
    I imagine that in order to get the best schematics, engineering plans/technology, or recipes (whatever they end up calling it for shipwright's), you'll have to be quite the sea-faring adventurer, too.  Perhaps I have to wait and kill the mighty Kraken to get the giant ship's pattern, or part of a hull strong enough to build?  Who knows?

Even if I have to stick with just building "cargo" ships to help with the water travel or water-based caravans, that'd be fine.

I also want to be a dock-master or town's dock owner.  Not sure if that's a politically appointed position or not, but it would be pretty cool if I could help with the harbor management.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Irie707 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Well i am not going to play for the economy and the economy will be fine even some players would be almost totally self sufficient. There will be also players who dont participate to profession side at all and who just buys all their stuff, so all this will be balanced by players. ;)

And like i said "as far as i can be self sufficient", most likely i have to buy some ingredients to finnish the crafted items anyway. It usually takes some time to manage all the process, but not that much unless the whole system will be implemented under heavy time sink. It is not first time i will make detailed plans to manage professions and implement those in practise. If i have to loose from something, then i guess i will do less gathering. 

The class and race system is planned way, that we are going to see lots of alts from combat pov, so the professions goes nicely at the same time.
    Understandable, and yeah i see your point with the non-crafters. Most if not all of them will be buying items from the market either for the crafters of their guilds or someone they are bartering with to make the weapons. I guess I'm just a stickler for realism to a degree. But yeah with the alts that everyone is going to have for pvp and what not the professions do go nicely with them.
  • Options
    I have never had good fortune in MMOs with crafting. I always end up picking the one that has a dead end when it comes to making money. I have always done well being a professional gatherer. So what ever lets me make Ore into ingots or wood into planks. That thing that all the crafters are looking for. That will be me. I have found this makes friends and guildies really happy when you can support them as well as the cheapest ends to making money.

If this game is different and crafting really does matter no matter what you pick... I will do what ever supports my Bard best, be that leather crafter, metal working or what ever makes the best instruments. I am really looking forward to see how they tie crafting into a real economy. This is something I have only seen balanced once and that was SWG. I loved crafting in that game.  
  • Options
    In my own experience, crafting always came for one of two reasons:  Self-Improvement (thru the use of homemade bow/arrows/potions as well as crafting furniture for homesteads, apartments etc.) OR for making cash for my toon (making low-end items for high-end crafters who have cash and want to pay me for making their ingredients.) 

Without knowing what the economy will be like and since we'll all (mostly) be starting out fresh, i'll definitely be crafting for myself in whatever way helps my toon...again historically that'll be some kind of weapons or armor smithing or fletching.

-LK

• Options
    Caelron said:
    But not because I want to exclusively make ships.  My goal is to essentially make a "Capital Ship" of sorts and turn it in to a floating Pirate's Inn and Tavern.  B)

Irie707 said:
    I imagine that in order to get the best schematics, engineering plans/technology, or recipes (whatever they end up calling it for shipwright's), you'll have to be quite the sea-faring adventurer, too.  Perhaps I have to wait and kill the mighty Kraken to get the giant ship's pattern, or part of a hull strong enough to build?  Who knows?

Even if I have to stick with just building "cargo" ships to help with the water travel or water-based caravans, that'd be fine.

I also want to be a dock-master or town's dock owner.  Not sure if that's a politically appointed position or not, but it would be pretty cool if I could help with the harbor management.
    I totally agree, they did state in one of their videos or Q&A's that recipes are going to be the most important things to acquire in AoC. In order to get said unique/epic recipes, players must achieve great accomplishments. I like the concept of having to destroy the Kraken, but what if you had to destroy a Leviathan???!!! Now that would be a battle to witness! Also those sea battles would be awesome to be a part of! I know I heard about under water dungeons and raids. 
  • Options
    Caelron said:

Irie707 said:

I totally agree, they did state in one of their videos or Q&A's that recipes are going to be the most important things to acquire in AoC. In order to get said unique/epic recipes, players must achieve great accomplishments. I like the concept of having to destroy the Kraken, but what if you had to destroy a Leviathan???!!! Now that would be a battle to witness! Also those sea battles would be awesome to be a part of! I know I heard about under water dungeons and raids. 
  • Options
    I'm a very meticulous RP'er, so I tend to pick skills and such, based on how I've imagined my character to be.  Regardless of whether my choices were optimum, or not.  I mainly play for fun, not min/max'ing.

That said, my character is going to be an esoteric caster, so scholarly pursuits will be within his inclinations.  Crafts such as scribe, enchanting, alchemy, or anything lore based...those will be my characters pursuits. 
  • Options
    My personal choice is going to be alchemy. Ive always been fascinated by it. In any game I've played, the joys of going out in search of that certain ingredient or particular solvent is so engrossing. Im hoping for there to be some sort of intricate alchemy system kinda like Morrowind (which Im sure most of you have played or still play <---- me!!) and BDO. It would be super cool to have chances at failing a mixture. As well, at higher levels requiring less materials than before to make potions of the same quality.
    I totally agree! Alchemy is everything I like about science and nothing I don't, with magical elements mixed in for flavor! That said though, I'm also interested to see what they have in store for the taming/breeding profession. Breeding pets and mounts for war sounds pretty awesome too.
  • Options
    Irie707 said:
    That'd be cool. Do you think they'd break down the specialization into multiple categories? Such as one-handed and two-handed? Maybe make it to where you can make both but only become a master in one? 
    It's hard to tell how deep profession specialization will go but i'd like them to. I'd definitely focus on two-handers if they did. 
  • Options
    Irie707 said:

Manytrees said:
    @Manytrees Im a bit skeptical as well. With wood based crafting, in your opinion, what would it be like if you could only specialize in one weapon-type?
    My comment didn't post last try, odd.  
      One weapon type might be boring, then again if they added a crossbow, that could be fun enough you might not care about 1 weapon only. at launch I'd rather spend less time crafting, it can be simpler. As the game goes on you learn new skills, perhaps add a few more weapons, better versions etc.
      Maybe they can launch in 2019 on April first, our only weapons are rocks sticks and antlers!  Happy Apr. fools , fools  ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    (2nd post went out 2x) player vs computer, guess I lost.

• Options
    Unsure it will depend on what class combo i play. I am leaning toward Summoner or Bard the most so things like tailoring or enchanting as others have said appeal to me greatly. Alchemy is a common choice for me in past games as well. Jewelry crafting is also high on my list. 

If I were to go Bard making instruments or weapons would likely be my chosen crafting path. 
  • Options
    I'm really big into crafting so I will really need to see what professions are available before I start to plot out my plan. I also need to talk with my guild to see what zone we are falling behind in craft-wise.
  • Options
    Caelron said:

Irie707 said:

I totally agree, they did state in one of their videos or Q&A's that recipes are going to be one of the most important things to acquire in AoC. In order to get said unique/epic recipes, players must achieve great accomplishments. I like the concept of having to destroy the Kraken, but what if you had to destroy a Leviathan???!!! Now that would be an epic battle to witness as well as to be a part of! I know I heard about under water dungeons and raids too! So heres to hoping!